Started by twistitup, March 07, 2018, 10:41:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Would he have a chance to start?

Listed by SMU at 6' 2" - 203lbs

True Dual Threat...

He was 4/4 w one TD last year. Good Accuracy

https://247sports.com/player/rafe-peavey-20555
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogsanity

Well he couldn't start at SMU..................
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

twistitup

Quote from: hogsanity on March 07, 2018, 10:44:05 am
Well he couldn't start at SMU..................

Buried in the depth chart....I thought we are having an open competition here? Clean slate....c'mon give the guy a clean slate.

PorkRinds

lahhog

Quote from: twistitup on March 07, 2018, 10:41:26 am

True Dual Threat...

SMU is boosting them height stats hard unless Rafe grew 2 inches since he was in Fayetteville.

twistitup

Quote from: lahhog on March 07, 2018, 10:46:28 am
SMU is boosting them height stats hard unless Rafe grew 2 inches since he was in Fayetteville.

He did....Dallas does that to a guy. When in Texas you hold you head a little higher...

hogsanity

Quote from: twistitup on March 07, 2018, 10:45:15 am
Buried in the depth chart....I thought we are having an open competition here? Clean slate....c'mon give the guy a clean slate.

OK, fine No.

And my main reason would be that he will be a SR, so why, in a rebuild, would you go with a guy who can only play for a year?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

twistitup

Quote from: hogsanity on March 07, 2018, 10:49:11 am
OK, fine No.

And my main reason would be that he will be a SR, so why, in a rebuild, would you go with a guy who can only play for a year?

One word:

Leadership - kids from Bolivar are BORN leaders

I thought you knew

lahhog

Quote from: twistitup on March 07, 2018, 10:47:16 am
He did....Dallas does that to a guy. When in Texas you hold you head a little higher...

When in Texas you hold your head a little higher.... up your own ass

AirWarren

Razorbackers

That's because the eyes of the ranger are upon you

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: lahhog on March 07, 2018, 10:52:52 am

Can't believe mine was the first smite!!  :D
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: AP85 on March 07, 2018, 10:54:26 am
The state of Texas is awesome.

Wasn't born in Texas, but I got here a fast as I could!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

VirginiaHog

No. Morris not only did not play him last year as a senior, but made a qb change to another qb in essence making him at least 3rd.

SamBuckhart

John Unitas didn't make the cut at Pittsburgh. Miracles happen every day. Can't wait to view QB competition this year. Go Hogs!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Hog N Bama

Yeah everything grows bigger when you live in Texas.  ;D

bennyl08

True Dual Threat...

To be a true dual threat, you have to be a threat as a runner and a passer. Peavey was never much of a threat as a passer in his time here and really struggled with the game never slowing down for him. He also wasn't able to earn a starting job at SMU either, so odds aren't in his favor of starting here.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on March 07, 2018, 10:45:15 am
Well apparently he was "buried in the depth chart" down at SMU as well. And from what I understand the depth of their QB bodies wasn't nearly what our is/was. Nope, I seriously doubt that Rafe would have made any better case than he did previously. BTW not criticizing the young man one bit.

hogsanity

I have never understood the fascination with Rafe Peavey among some of the posters here.

twistitup

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 07, 2018, 02:53:05 pm
To be a true dual threat, you have to be a threat as a runner and a passer. Peavey was never much of a threat as a passer in his time here and really struggled with the game never slowing down for him. He also wasn't able to earn a starting job at SMU either, so odds aren't in his favor of starting here.

Benny, I'm impressed with the clarity and brevity of this post.

Thanks for your input.

twistitup

Quote from: hogsanity on March 07, 2018, 03:43:44 pm
I have never understood the fascination with Rafe Peavey among some of the posters here.

Vin says hi

Of course, those of us insiders know really why Rafe left Arkansas in the first place.  The previous staff had informed him that they planned to put body mass, fat weight, along with muscle on him and start him this coming season at left tackle based on the fact that as a previous QB, he knew full well how important the left tackle job was. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on March 07, 2018, 04:14:36 pm
Vin says hi

Yeah, but Vin had a built in advantage. Apparently he was quite a poet and waxed eloquently in sonnets and verse about his (imagined) experience as a Razorback. In fact he had a book published entitled "Ode to the Hill".

311Hog

He would use his magical fire breath and save the maidens fair

OLEJACKETFAN

I really hope the QBs on hand are much better than Rafe. Truthfully not sure about his talent, but he looked lost at SMU!!

3Scoreand10

Quote from: hogsanity on March 07, 2018, 03:43:44 pm

Sense he was not allow to start, he was obviously the best QB.
That is always the way it is.

AirWarren

Hog N Bama

hog.goblin

Quote from: lahhog on March 07, 2018, 10:52:52 am

you sir may only have 7 posts, but this is one of the best, and most accurate Hogville posts of all time.

SooieGeneris

Yes, the Rafe Peavey to Kane Whitehurst combo could have eclipsed Montana to Rice.. maybe there will be one of those SEC legends deals on those two soon.

The Best There Never Was Part II... At least Marcus Dupree had a couple of good seasons and some ridiculously good games in his time, so his special was a bit of a misnomer..

If pigs could fly, there would be a bacon shortage. I like some others on here never got the fascination with Peavey. At least with Ascolese there would have been kind of a novelty with the whole Paisan from NJ angle.

Safe to say if Peavey couldn't start there he wouldn't have started here even after all the Allens ran out, for all the tin foil hat conspiracy theorists among us..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

TexHog188

IF he were here, then yes, CCM would give him a chance.  But as someone said earlier, why rebuild with a one and done player at QB.  CCM already hinted that it could take 1-3 years to fully implement his offensive playbook, so all things being equal, let the younger QBs learn on the go.  No better teacher than playing time.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

presidenthog

colbs

jkstock04

Quote from: SooieGeneris on March 07, 2018, 06:56:48 pm
Yes, the Rafe Peavey to Kane Whitehurst combo could have eclipsed Montana to Rice.. maybe there will be one of those SEC legends deals on those two soon.

The Best There Never Was Part II... At least Marcus Dupree had a couple of good seasons and some ridiculously good games in his time, so his special was a bit of a misnomer..

If pigs could fly, there would be a bacon shortage. I like some others on here never got the fascination with Peavey. At least with Ascolese there would have been kind of a novelty with the whole Paisan from NJ angle.

Safe to say if Peavey couldn't start there he wouldn't have started here even after all the Allens ran out, for all the tin foil hat conspiracy theorists among us..
Kane Whitehurst...I haven't heard that name in a minute. That's when I quit watching highlight videos as a habit. I thought that kid was going to be the next Jerry Rice. Goes to show highlight videos can be very misleading. At least for myself they are.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 07, 2018, 10:16:10 pm
Kane Whitehurst...I haven't heard that name in a minute. That's when I quit watching highlight videos as a habit. I thought that kid was going to be the next Jerry Rice. Goes to show highlight videos can be very misleading. At least for myself they are.
Well one of the reasons that ole Kane was such a legend was his blazing speed. Yep, he seemed to float over the field. Then again that might have had something to do with his smoking weed that seemed to let him glide with his feet barely touching the turf ;) :D 8) ::)

lahhog

Quote from: hog.goblin on March 07, 2018, 06:47:53 pm
you sir may only have 7 posts, but this is one of the best, and most accurate Hogville posts of all time.

Just coming in hot

bennyl08

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 07, 2018, 10:16:10 pm

First, dude, you were almost there. This close to a making a clever star wars reference. Whitehurst? Now that is a name I have not heard in a long time...

I was definitely in the minority who just didn't see all the love that Whitehurst was getting. Watching the same highlight videos, he just didn't look that special to me. That's not to brag because in that same recruiting class, I was sold on the highlights of Kelvin Fisher Jr and he didn't do really do any better.

I don't think it's always that the highlight videos are misleading (you do have to keep an eye out for sped up tape video. Also, a lot of people judge a player's speed relative to the other players, but you have to judge their speed relative to the field itself.) Moreso, you have to recognize that the highlights are only a small part of the equation.

Highlights give you a baseline of sorts. It lets you say, well, I know he can do this. It doesn't tell you how consistently he can do that, whether he physically can improve on that at the next level, whether he will put in the effort to improve at the next nevel, and so on. Even if the "want to" is there, some players just can't handle the pace of the game at the next level. You see this with college players transitioning to the NFL. They have the size and speed and strength to play in the NFL. Their work ethic is second to none. They just can not handle the speed of the game at that level.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

aloha_kid

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 07, 2018, 12:34:57 pm
Can't believe mine was the first smite!!  :D

I got number 9.  Top 10!

Pork Twain

True Dual Threat...

He would be like our 4-5th best qb
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

thebignasty

Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

AirWarren

True Dual Threat...

Him and Vinny "the punisher" Ascolese would have been awesome together.

twistitup

zane

Quote from: AP85 on March 15, 2018, 08:49:10 am
Him and Vinny "the punisher" Ascolese would have been awesome together.

If Rafe and Vinny were on the same team- we'd win state for sure. I just know we would!
RIP LSUfan

AirWarren

Quote from: zane on March 15, 2018, 10:57:05 am
If Rafe and Vinny were on the same team- we'd win state for sure. I just know we would!

Betcha he could throw a football over them mountains.

Athog

True Dual Threat...

He would be about 4 on the depth chart!

twistitup

Quote from: Athog on March 17, 2018, 07:57:55 am
He would be about 4 on the depth chart!

CCM is going by seniority

....would that make him first on the d chart?

IronHog

True Dual Threat...

Not a high D1 QB
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

twistitup

RebelliousHog

Quote from: twistitup on March 18, 2018, 11:37:54 am
Are we a 'high D1' football  program?

Maybe not, but we most assuredly won't be if we start a "Not a high D1 QB".
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

twistitup

Quote from: HenduHog on March 18, 2018, 11:49:04 am
Maybe not, but we most assuredly won't be if we start a "Not a high D1 QB".

Is CK a 'high D1' QB?

Is anybody on our roster?