Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why no Bailey?

Started by Hog are ya, February 11, 2018, 02:47:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog are ya

Was he hurt?  Or something else?  I feel we are much better with he and Obu getting minutes than Thomas and Cook.  They bring energy, athleticism, much better defense and I think better chemistry.  The 4 spot, (or lack there of), is key if we are going to make this tourney and do any damage....

razorback1829

He was sick with the flu I believe.

AlmaHog2011

Why is Anderson still playing Cook? Why?

litmachog

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 11, 2018, 06:58:30 am
He started and had two BAD turnovers right off the bat.   Did he even come back into the game? I don't think so, unless I just missed him. 

TNhawgfan

He and Thomas both infuriate me
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Hawg Red

Quote from: litmachog on February 11, 2018, 07:04:30 am
He started and had two BAD turnovers right off the bat.   Did he even come back into the game? I don't think so, unless I just missed him.

No, he didn't (to Anderson's credit). If we're being fair, Cook has had some good moments on defense and also knocked down some jumpers on offense. I would have rather seen Hall or Gabe start with Bailey out. Cook is just a spot-minute player and, really, has been rendered obsolete by Gabe. Cook is better offensively (not saying much), but Gabe's impact is becoming immediate upon checking into the game.

Rome26

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 11, 2018, 07:49:52 am
No, he didn't (to Anderson's credit). If we're being fair, Cook has had some good moments on defense and also knocked down some jumpers on offense. I would have rather seen Hall or Gabe start with Bailey out. Cook is just a spot-minute player and, really, has been rendered obsolete by Gabe. Cook is better offensively (not saying much), but Gabe's impact is becoming immediate upon checking into the game.

Gabe will end up being a Coty Clark type player for us. It wouldn't surprise me to see him start at that 4 spot next year if he continues to improve.

hawginbigd1

I thought Cook would be better but he just isn't, he doesn't play big enough and doesn't have the skills to play smaller, so he is of no value. I guess he made his bones playing 6'4" Juco guys.
There have been 8-10 games the past couple years he has made a difference but nothing consistent.

DT on the other hand shows flashes of being a solid contributor but just has never been consistent, he actually can put pressure on the defense with his ball handling ability and his jumper isn't bad, but Gabe right now is providing what we need in that spot IMO.

raz1965

Mike's system requires many bodys, from time to time a player will come in the game an be the difference maker. Mike will usually test the waters ever game with all his players, but to run up an down the floor at a high pace he must play the good an the bad at times.

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Cook has regressed from last year more than anyone on the team. He showed flashes last year but they aren't there this year
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 11, 2018, 07:49:52 am
Had this same conversation with Coach Z the other day. You can't watch the games back and tell me things don't change when Gabe checks into the game and it's always positive. He is definitely rough offensively at times, but our intensity goes to another level defensively when he is in the game.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: raz1965 on February 11, 2018, 01:25:04 pm
Mike's system requires many bodys, from time to time a player will come in the game an be the difference maker. Mike will usually test the waters ever game with all his players, but to run up an down the floor at a high pace he must play the good an the bad at times.

With all the TV  and team time outs Mike could win with 8 but his problem is he doesn't have a consistent 8 or really have 8 who are high quality players who add much so Mike just throws them out there hoping for something good to happen. 

jm

He doesn't have the flu

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 11, 2018, 01:02:38 pm
I thought Cook would be better but he just isn't, he doesn't play big enough and doesn't have the skills to play smaller, so he is of no value. I guess he made his bones playing 6'4" Juco guys.
There have been 8-10 games the past couple years he has made a difference but nothing consistent.

DT on the other hand shows flashes of being a solid contributor but just has never been consistent, he actually can put pressure on the defense with his ball handling ability and his jumper isn't bad, but Gabe right now is providing what we need in that spot IMO.

At this point play Gabe a lot. I watched Cook play in JC and left at halftime. He wasn't in the top 10 players on the court. Honestly if you didn't know his number you wouldn't have a clue who he was.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on February 15, 2018, 07:04:31 am
Cook has regressed from last year more than anyone on the team. He showed flashes last year but they aren't there this year

Mike has given him all kinds of chances. He just hasn't done anything. Thomas and Bailey have been given more than enough chances. I say just play Gabe O at this point. He has taken his playing time and produced. Very active.