Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best thing I saw tonight

Started by upperdeck_hawg, February 10, 2018, 10:29:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

upperdeck_hawg

Three point defense. Vandy rushed their open looks because we were on them tight most of the night. Unlike SC, this was a good shooting team and we were in their grill all night.

If we play defense like this, we can do some damage.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

3of5-2

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on February 10, 2018, 10:29:12 pm
Three point defense. Vandy rushed their open looks because we were on them tight most of the night. Unlike SC, this was a good shooting team and we were in their grill all night.

You serious Clark? I don't know what game you were watching, but 75% of their 3's were wide open looks, and they clanked just about every one of them.

razorbackchamps94

They missed wide open 3's all night

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 10, 2018, 10:35:10 pm
You serious Clark? I don't know what game you were watching, but 75% of their 3's were wide open looks, and they clanked just about every one of them.
theres a reason no one agrees with you on anything. Over 3/4 of the threes were highly contested
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hogsanity

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 10, 2018, 10:41:06 pm
theres a reason no one agrees with you on anything. Over 3/4 of the threes were highly contested

Umm, no. Running toward or putting a hand up after a guy starts to shoot is not contested. Contested were several of the shots Barford and Macon made.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jabber71

Last 4 games Vandy scores an average of 81 points, I would have to say Arkansas defense had a little effect on their shooting...
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 10:49:35 pm
Umm, no. Running toward or putting a hand up after a guy starts to shoot is not contested. Contested were several of the shots Barford and Macon made.
you log into the wrong account my friend?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hogsanity

Vandy went 3-26 from 3. They could not throw it in the ocean from a boat tonight. They shot 25% for the game. To me it looked like a 9 win team that had packed it in and had no desire to be playing tonight.

Arkansas just played three sec tams that are going no where near the ncaat and went 2-1.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TheRazorback500

LaChance, Roberson, and Willis didn't get any wide open threes. We usually had a hand in their face. The second team got all the looks and missed them. We played smarter on defense.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

sowmonella

Anyone that believes we didn't play much better defensively tonight just doesn't understand the game.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: sowmonella on February 10, 2018, 11:21:51 pm
Anyone that believes we didn't play much better defensively tonight just doesn't understand the game.

I'd say that many don't want to say that we played good defense because that would give credit to coaching which is very unpopular for many on here.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

TomasPistola

We played better defensively. Had we not laid an egg in the first 10 minutes of the first half it would have been a boat race.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

VirginiaHog

We played much better perimeter d today. Also moved the ball more on o.

TomasPistola

BTW - the best thing I saw tonight was that giant Bobby Portis in the student section with the moving arms. That was awesome.
You were right.
You did a great job.
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Hog are ya

D was better, less switching, mostly stuck with there man, avoided mismatch.  Ask any Vandy fan though and they would tell you, and correctly, that it was by FAR their worst shooting game!  Missed many an open look.  But overall, we had a little to do with that...   Side note...  BEARD, (i admit I am not a fan of his minutes), please quit sagging down to the paint off your man that stands WIDE OPEN, on the three!  YOU CAN NOT HELP IN THE PAINT!!  PR0TECT THE THREE!!!! 

razorback1829

Quote from: Hog are ya on February 11, 2018, 02:28:41 am
D was better, less switching, mostly stuck with there man, avoided mismatch.  Ask any Vandy fan though and they would tell you, and correctly, that it was by FAR their worst shooting game!  Missed many an open look.  But overall, we had a little to do with that...   Side note...  BEARD, (i admit I am not a fan of his minutes), please quit sagging down to the paint off your man that stands WIDE OPEN, on the three!  YOU CAN NOT HELP IN THE PAINT!!  PR0TECT THE THREE!!!!

DRIVES ME CRAZY!  Good game, but he always sags too low.

3of5-2

There's a reason why you think over 3/4 of the 3's were contested, and I could care less if no one agrees with me on anything. I'm not on here to be MA's suck up doll like you are. Over 3/4 of the 3's "highly contested," great observation by you again BrokeBackMountainMan.

Dr. Starcs

I highly doubt that. Your definition of highly contested may be different than mine though.

Kevin

Better defense.  But, vandy does not have a fast penetrating guard. That is what wreck our defense. So like I said the two opponents this week were tailor made for the hogs.

The season is now 6 games long
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hoggish1

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 10, 2018, 10:35:10 pm

Yep, that's also what I saw.  Vandy was cold all night.  But, hey, it was a win!

Soooie21

The best thing I saw, was we won a game we should have...note we were better tonight at running the offense..

Hoggish1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 10:49:35 pm

Exactly.  You just described how it's contested on the pickup court.  If the guy is shooting and you run toward him and yell, or whatever, it don't do squat..  And sometimes you foul him and give him a shot at the foul line after it goes in or three shots if it doesn't.

Dirty

What I saw was the fire Mike crowd quiet down a little bit.

King Kong

Vandy has some open shots and missed. They also had some contested shot which they missed.

Pretty much the opposite of LSU at home. Where they hit contested shots and open shots.

Law of averages

rljjr

Contested were the couple of step back threes Barford drained. Man in his face. Great stuff. Our perimeter defense was better in the second half, which proves to me they can play like that when they want to. However, Vandy had a lot of wide open looks they couldn't make.

Contested three is a term that needs some Hogville definition because I don't see a lot of them from our Defense — although credit again for the improvement in that area last night. They contested somewhere around half, maybe. I didn't study the replay. The effort was improved though, especially the second half.

jst01

Quote from: Dirty on February 11, 2018, 08:00:33 am

We are allowing you guys to be fooled while Hogs play the worst teams in conf, reality continues in the next 4 games.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dirty on February 11, 2018, 08:00:33 am

We beat a god awful Vandy team. Congrats Mike! Extend him another 2 years.

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 11, 2018, 08:07:53 am
We beat a god awful Vandy team. Congrats Mike! Extend him another 2 years.
I'm surprised you haven't blown out both knees with your constant bandwagon jumping. 

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hog are ya on February 11, 2018, 02:28:41 am

Man! I don't understand that defensive strategy and than he's not quick enough to get out and contest the shot.

Pigsear

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on February 10, 2018, 10:29:12 pm

When you shoot a 3 and there's not a defender in 10 feet of you, that's not tight defense. Vandy was wide open all night.

The_Iceman

February 11, 2018, 09:19:05 am #30 Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 10:46:19 am by The_Iceman
Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 11, 2018, 08:20:46 am
I'm surprised you haven't blown out both knees with your constant bandwagon jumping.

Look at the SEC this year. Wide open for anyone to take. And in Mike's 7th year, Auburn and Tennessee jump up there and take it. While we sit right in the middle, which is fitting for Mediocre Mike.

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 11, 2018, 09:19:05 am
Look at the SEC this year. Wide open for anyone to take. And I'm Mike's 7th year, Auburn and Tennessee jump up there and take it. While we sit right in the middle, which is fitting for Mediocre Mike.
He’s a bad coach n terrible recruiter (according to you) so middle of the pack is an achievement. 

razorback1829

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 11, 2018, 08:20:46 am

😂😂😂 Facts my man!

Rome26

Quote from: Pigsear on February 11, 2018, 09:00:17 am
When you shoot a 3 and there's not a defender in 10 feet of you, that's not tight defense. Vandy was wide open all night.

We must have watched two different games.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 11, 2018, 09:21:43 am
He's a bad coach n terrible recruiter (according to you) so middle of the pack is an achievement.

He squandered a chance to win the SEC. Glad this performance is acceptable in year 7. I'm sure you got all the excuses ready for our NIT appearance in 2019.

Pigsear

Quote from: Rome26 on February 11, 2018, 09:29:32 am
We must have watched two different games.
Well i don't know who you watched, I watched the Hogs and Vandy, and they were wide open on a lot of shots, they just missed. Call it tight defense if you want, doesn't really matter now.

jjdlc

We've played much better D the last two games.  Now, the thing is, can we keep playing better D without slipping back to bad habits.

BDSCT51

Best thing I saw? A "W" in the win column. Don't care how they get there as long as they do!
Bleeding Razorback Red

hawg1221

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on February 10, 2018, 10:38:23 pm
They missed wide open 3's all night

Even the half time guys talked about all the wide open 3's.

The Hogfather

Quote from: TomasPistola on February 11, 2018, 01:09:13 am
BTW - the best thing I saw tonight was that giant Bobby Portis in the student section with the moving arms. That was awesome.

Pic?

TomasPistola

You were right.
You did a great job.