Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I've changed my opinion on Morris

Started by Bebop, December 07, 2017, 06:29:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebop

I was adamantly against the hire the other day in several posts and decided that I should make a thread about having a changed perspective. I'm still a little nervous about winning because of not knowing the unknown, but I feel more confident than I did and think it is a better hire (him being an Aggie aside) than what it initially appeared to be. To be clear, he wasn't my first choice; I wanted either Norvell or Brohm but I've time to hear him speak and to think things through and my opinion has been swayed.

Here's what has swayed my opinion towards Morris:

1. Though it was at the high school level, he has been a head coach before his SMU tenure. I think that is important because he is familiar with the process of being a head coach: what it takes to win, competition, in game decision making, adjustments, etc. In other words, he has experience as a head coach. No on the job training that we had with Bielema or hand-holding that Bielema received from Alvarez. Morris is not a systems-coach. He seems to get it and has experience to prove it.

2. Take SMU in context. Yeah, June Jones and him share similar records and Norvell beat him head-to-head, but there is a bigger body of work (what he has done at other places) to draw from with Morris. Morris did have SMU on an upswing before he left, marginal or not. The biggest issue at SMU wasn't his offense it was his defense. If he had a better defense, then his record would have been better. He has more potential to have a better defense here (better pay=better D-coordinator).

3. He saved Dabo Swinney's career and in the process turned Clemson around. This can't be understated.  Remember when people used Clemson as a by-word in reference to choking.  Morris helped change that perspective. In other words, he  helped reuild a fledgling program into a contender. 

4. Morris understands recruiting. He was after Deshaun Watson from the get-go. Which leads me to..

5. He seems to be a good evaluator of talent.

6. He seems to understand what it is going to take to win in the SEC: speed and defensive. That's refreshing to hear from day one. He knows that he has to get a good defensive coach and he knows that he has get players with speed. No on the job training like we had with Bielema.

Just some small points that I've been thinking about that has helped me sway my opinion on Morris. Two big hurdles for him are going to be recruiting and for us to have an average to good defense while maintaining that "explosive" offense.

Feel free to add any more observations that I might have missed. I would like to also hear from those who were disappointed at first but have since warmed up to Morris. What changed your opinion? 

wpswillriseagain

Norvell beat him head to head but it's pretty obvious that Norvell walked into a much better situation. Jones left a dumpster fire at SMU. He's shown that he can improve a team from a very bad situation, Norvell has not. Norvell May turn out to be a better coach down the road, but I'm very proud of who we got.

Bebop

Quote from: wpswillriseagain on December 07, 2017, 06:37:36 pm
Norvell beat him head to head but it's pretty obvious that Norvell walked into a much better situation. Jones left a dumpster fire at SMU. He's shown that he can improve a team from a very bad situation, Norvell has not. Norvell May turn out to be a better coach down the road, but I'm very proud of who we got.

Norvell's success was set up by Fuente running with Norvell's advice/strategy on offense. Norvell's impact is similar (if not more) to Morris's impact on Clemson. I don't think Norvell lucked out by walking into Memphis on a uptick when he was a part of the reason for their success.

Anyway, Morris has had more cumulative head coaching experience than Norvell which works in Morris's favor.

razorbackcaller

I'm old enough that I will not forget.
Just think about it we have an Aggie for a head coach!
Let that sink in!

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: razorbackcaller on December 07, 2017, 08:09:41 pm
Let that sink in!
Your point?

hawgwash

Let that sink in!
And Darrell Royal was a Sooner.  So what?

JONAS

Quote from: hawgwash on December 07, 2017, 08:19:26 pm
And Darrell Royal was a Sooner.  So what?

I was thinking the same thing about Royal. 

Bebop

Let that sink in!

Don't remind me.

jgphillips3

I made a similar post today.  It happens.

razorbackcaller

3of5-2

I prefer actual successful results at the UofA before I change my mind. He told the players they have a lot of work to do, and so does he. He will get his chance.

Bebop

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 07, 2017, 08:39:15 pm
I prefer actual successful results at the UofA before I change my mind. He told the players they have a lot of work to do, and so does he. He will get his chance.

I agree, wins are the endgame. I do think, however, that there are upsides to the hire that are overshadowed by the SMU record. 

I was never against Morris but he was my 4th choice.  Only thing I can see about him is the energy radiating from him.  He appears awake, aware and ready.  He reminds me of the Guy who wakes up at 2 AM just waiting till a reasonable time to go to work.  Then gets up and scratches details of his planned day or maybe a play he was thinking about on a napkin so he doesn't forget it before he gets to the office.  Always working, planning, doing, and never quits, no excuses, either get it or get out.

Just having energy, being delightful, alive and awake will make us 2 or 3 wins a year better. 

I know he can still fail even doing his best if everything doesn't fall in line.  Getting just the right DC.  Getting the recruiters necessary to bring the best possible players to Arkansas.  Maybe having a slew of injuries come all at the same time.  There is far more ways to fail at this game than there is to win.  Especially here at Arkansas where quality depth is not very likely. 

Morris seems like the Guy you would go bear hunting with a rotten stick with.  We could find a way to slay the bear.

Bebop

Quote from: 12247 on December 07, 2017, 10:07:47 pm
I was never against Morris but he was my 4th choice.  Only thing I can see about him is the energy radiating from him.  He appears awake, aware and ready.  He reminds me of the Guy who wakes up at 2 AM just waiting till a reasonable time to go to work.  Then gets up and scratches details of his planned day or maybe a play he was thinking about on a napkin so he doesn't forget it before he gets to the office.  Always working, planning, doing, and never quits, no excuses, either get it or get out.

Just having energy, being delightful, alive and awake will make us 2 or 3 wins a year better. 

I know he can still fail even doing his best if everything doesn't fall in line.  Getting just the right DC.  Getting the recruiters necessary to bring the best possible players to Arkansas.  Maybe having a slew of injuries come all at the same time.  There is far more ways to fail at this game than there is to win.  Especially here at Arkansas where quality depth is not very likely. 

Morris seems like the Guy you would go bear hunting with a rotten stick with.  We could find a way to slay the bear.

He was downy list too. I do thinl he can be better than what I originally thought. Still a little hesitant due to the SMU record but I realize context is important, much like Bielema's Wisky record being fool's gold due to the help of Alvarez. You make a great point about him being a hard worker.

Boarsnest

The University needs to give him the resources to get a top DC and some stud recruiters. A good defense with CCM's offense can cause other coaches in the SEC some sleepless nights.

I realize it will take some time to get players to run his system. I can give him that as long as we see improvement. CBB peaked and started a decline. I think fans would have gave him more time if he had shown steady improvement.

_Hamlet_

Hogville's opinion blows like the wind. Your opinion hasn't changed you've just realized you cant do anything about it so you accept it.