Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cole Kelly

Started by Hawgphat, December 07, 2017, 06:17:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgphat

Serious question:

Is it POSSIBLE that - within Morris's offensive scheme - CK could be converted to Fullback or Tight End, put on a strict diet and exercise program, lose about 25-30 pounds of suet and used primarily as a blocking back and/or slot receiver?  He could also be used as an option passer/runner in some variation of "Wild Hog" formation. 

Do you think that would be at all feasible, - not necessarily in a full-time, first team starter capacity, - - but as an integral element of the offensive scheme in certain situations?

Do you think Kelly might go along with such a transition?

Wildhog

I think Cole can run this offense just fine.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pork Ranger

Is it a lot of read option?

DuckTalesLOL

You think Cole Kelley would work as a slot receiver? LOL...

I'm sorry, there is no possible timeline in the world that would ever work.

texas tush hog

Cole will be gone in short order.

Pork Ranger

Yeah lol @ slot receiver

Freebrd

Quote from: Hawgphat on December 07, 2017, 06:17:10 pm
Serious question:

Is it POSSIBLE that - within Morris's offensive scheme - CK could be converted to Fullback or Tight End, put on a strict diet and exercise program, lose about 25-30 pounds of suet and used primarily as a blocking back and/or slot receiver?  He could also be used as an option passer/runner in some variation of "Wild Hog" formation. 

Do you think that would be at all feasible, - not necessarily in a full-time, first team starter capacity, - - but as an integral element of the offensive scheme in certain situations?

Arrrrgh, sounds like HDN wanting to convert Ryan Mallet to tight end.  Kelly has a strong arm, is difficult to sack and seemed to go thru his reads pretty well.  Keep him where he is-we need him there

MissippHog

Do we really need another TE/FB type? 

Acehawg

Beef him up and put him on the O-line...

Hawgphat

Well, the basis for my premise is that - at 6'7' Kelly certainly has the extension to be a creditable tight end type, He is a big, strong, tough guy who has reasonably sure hands, and he's not the slowest guy around for his size.  He doesn't shy away from contact, and he can bring the wood.  It seems to me that he could be utilized in more than a single capacity.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: Acehawg on December 07, 2017, 06:25:26 pm
Beef him up and put him on the O-line...

Has there ever been a QB switch positions to OL??

Mjs84

I think he has the durability to take the hits at qb without feeling the pressure that a smaller guy would.  It's the kind of thing that would take effect after a few hard hits, and being able to withstand more without the fear.  Of course it's early and anything could happen, so I will wait for the many experts to weigh in.

PorkSoda

you premise is flawed.  it what world is he not athletic enough to play QB but is athletic enough to play positions that require more athleticism than the QB position?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

devildoghawg

Kelley will start next year and wreck shop in this system.  Just watch.  Dude has a bullet arm and the ability to move the line when needed.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

threeNout

The only returning QB with experience, that has a certain amount of value, call it insurance.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with CK, I don't see him changing positions.

Getting some weight off him, and have him compete with Storey and whoever else CCM may bring in would be my guess.

Inhogswetrust

December 07, 2017, 06:33:48 pm #15 Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:10:37 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Pork Ranger on December 07, 2017, 06:28:02 pm

No but I think a QB in Kentucky at one time ate the OL.................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SooieGeneris

I have been around a long time, I have seen a QB or two even taller than Kelley namely Mark McGwire's brother who played somewhere on the west coast and Brock Osweiler, who were both 6'8.

I have NEVER seen a 6'7 fullback, nor do I ever think I will.

Calvin Hill was 6'4, the tallest RB I have ever seen.

And Slot receiver? For real?

No, I do not think he would go for such a move, would you?

If CM doesn't think Kelley can run his offense, I would think he would be told so and thus transfer.

If CM does think Kelley can run this offense, he would want him to stick around.

Whether he does or not is a different matter. Maybe CK transfers wherever Enos winds up or someplace like ULL or ULM if he doesn't stick around.

If he does stick around, he will need to drop some lbs to run CMs offense, like 20 or more.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Captain Hogthrob

Quote from: Wildhog on December 07, 2017, 06:17:53 pm

I agree. He won't out run anyone but he's big and physical with a big arm. That will always work.
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

PorkSoda

Quote from: devildoghawg on December 07, 2017, 06:30:57 pm
Kelley will start next year and wreck shop in this system.  Just watch.  Dude has a bullet arm and the ability to move the line when needed.
I'm thinking he starts next year too, he can run the RPO not because of his speed, but because of his power. 

He is still raw, but just means he has a lot of room to improve.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bphi11ips

Cole's future with the Razorbacks depends on other options surfacing between now and next season. Shea Patterson would be a game changer, for example. Gerry Bohannon or Connor Noland may be. We don't know a lot about Daulton Hyatt. We pretty well know Ty Storey won't work.

CCM said today that high school coaches are creative by necessity because they can't recruit. That is pretty much where he finds himself next year. Unless someone else comes along, CCM can construct an effective offense around Kelley. It may be fast, but the mismatches he will create will be different than those he would create with a Bohannon or Patterson. The offense will look more like Collin Klein's on roller skates.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

threeNout

sharpen his mechanics throwing, get him a little quicker, he might be a good fit in the new offense.

you need to have 3 solid threats that the D has to respect equally to keep a D off balance.

Kelley could provide two of those threats with his arm and the power run.

On the surface, it seems like it'd be workable to me.  His starting experience should make it desirable to try and make it so.

Hawgphat

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 07, 2017, 06:30:01 pm
you premise is flawed.  it what world is he not athletic enough to play QB but is athletic enough to play positions that require more athleticism than the QB position?

I'm not discounting the possibility/probability that CK can cut it at QB under Morris.  My supposition is that IF he should get beaten out for the #1 - and/or #2 slots by dynamic new incoming freshmen - should he transfer, ride the pine, - - or adapt to a new responsibility?

I think that's a reasonable question.

TeufelHog

He can IF he becomes a "dual-threat."  Only way that happens is if he drops 25-30 pounds which would improve his overall speed/quickness.  Seeing him this season during pre-game warm-ups, in a t-shirt without the shoulder-pads on, it is obvious he could drop some weight. 

wpswillriseagain

Quote from: Pork Ranger on December 07, 2017, 06:28:02 pm
did that olineman from UAPB who ran like a 4.7 at the combine play QB in HS?

Billy Bats

Love the kid...not fast enough though.  We are all about speed now, remember?

Oklahawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 07, 2017, 06:37:05 pm
Cole's future with the Razorbacks depends on other options surfacing between now and next season. Shea Patterson would be a game changer, for example. Gerry Bohannon or Connor Noland may be. We don't know a lot about Daulton Hyatt. We pretty well know Ty Storey won't work.

CCM said today that high school coaches are creative by necessity because they can't recruit. That is pretty much where he finds himself next year. Unless someone else comes along, CCM can construct an effective offense around Kelley. It may be fast, but the mismatches he will create will be different than those he would create with a Bohannon or Patterson. The offense will look more like Collin Klein's on roller skates.

I see CK as being the QB for at least a year. Too hard to get a rookie up to speed. There is too great a chance that Bohanon needs a RS year to adjust to D1 football. Hyatt is the unknown - what can he bring to the table. I don't see Storey being here after the spring, especially if we sign two QBs this class.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

arkansashogs

Cole kelly better to either transfer to be converted to tight end.

PorkSoda

Quote from: arkansashogs on December 07, 2017, 06:48:18 pm
Cole kelly better to either transfer to be converted to tight end.
I still don't get why anyone thinks he would make a good TE?  we have a slew of good TE's.  He will either be #1 or #2 next year.  either way I hope he stays.

a0ashle

This is my thought too. It's just a matter of what role he plays. Whereas some QBs can run outside, CK will be up the middle, generally, and other positions will threaten outside.

threeNout

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 06:40:26 pm
Love the kid...not fast enough though.  We are all about speed now, remember?

Agree on overall speed, but I think it's debatable if CK's lack of speed would hurt much.

Even last year at his weight/speed, it was a formidable thing to deal with when the D wasn't looking for him to run. (that just hardly ever happened)

His 20 yard run against A&M, he looked quick enough.

He establishes the TE routes, stretches the field some, we get Hayden going, TJ coming across in motion. You burn the D with those things, he'll have open pastures to romp, he can afford to be a little slow, the fact he's big enough to run over DBs is the added facet.

ipigsooie

The kid is fast enough to run this offense. I agree he  needs to lose a little weight but i still think the kid could be our dak Prescott. I'm not saying he will ever be that good but he has a lot of similarities. His stats at this point in his career are fairly similar. Also, dak is a smart runner. He is in no way a speed blazer, but he is a big, physical guy that runs when he needs to.

RowNorseRow

I think a credit to C.K. is that he was most successful this season while running some kind of hurry up or two minute offense. He shined with the quick passes. He still needs to learn how to control his arm strength but if he can get a little more shifty and use that and his size in the QB run game, along with his huge arm, he could very well be an elite QB as early as next season. I think this is the right fit for him. It's hard enough for a 6'7 QB to go under Center. Having him in shotgun sets and shoring up the protection will result in a lot of fun for the Hogs and some big time numbers for C.K. Hes dangerous when he lowers his shoulder.

Billy Bats

Quote from: threeNout on December 07, 2017, 06:53:43 pm
Agree on overall speed, but I think it's debatable if CK's lack of speed would hurt much.

Even last year at his weight/speed, it was a formidable thing to deal with when the D wasn't looking for him to run. (that just hardly ever happened)

His 20 yard run against A&M, he looked quick enough.

He establishes the TE routes, stretches the field some, we get Hayden going, TJ coming across in motion. You burn the D with those things, he'll have open pastures to romp, he can afford to be a little slow, the fact he's big enough to run over DBs is the added facet.

Fair enough.  I'm pulling for him.  Made a little mistake, no big deal...just want to see him do well. 

RebHog

Quote from: Hawgphat on December 07, 2017, 06:27:33 pm
Well, the basis for my premise is that - at 6'7' Kelly certainly has the extension to be a creditable tight end type, He is a big, strong, tough guy who has reasonably sure hands, and he's not the slowest guy around for his size.  He doesn't shy away from contact, and he can bring the wood.  It seems to me that he could be utilized in more than a single capacity.

Hes slow like a tank. No lateral speed twitch speed what so ever he can get okay speed running straight line. He isnt ideal for this offense but using him in the read option would be my last concern. He wouldn't be a home run threat at all but if he reads right he can steamboat forward for 3-4 yard chunk plays. I would be more worried about his passing and target progression. It wasn't good last year in both regards but its hard to tell how much is on him and how much was on the pathetic O line play.

VirginiaHog

This

threeNout

Quote from: a0ashle on December 07, 2017, 06:50:52 pm
This is my thought too. It's just a matter of what role he plays. Whereas some QBs can run outside, CK will be up the middle, generally, and other positions will threaten outside.

yep, atypical QB, just means you be a little atypical in how you use him.

the base philosophy stays the same, you just tweak it.

You stretch the D out and they have to respect everything, then 3rd and 3 would just about be automatic with CK.

ipigsooie

Quote from: RebHog on December 07, 2017, 06:57:46 pm
Hes slow like a tank. No lateral speed twitch speed what so ever he can get okay speed running straight line. He isnt ideal for this offense but using him in the read option would be my last concern. He wouldn't be a home run threat at all but if he reads right he can steamboat forward for 3-4 yard chunk plays. I would be more worried about his passing and target progression. It wasn't good last year in both regards but its hard to tell how much is on him and how much was on the pathetic O line play.

As a defense, which guy would you worry more about running the ball, Jarrett stidham or cole kelley? Stidham runs a very similar offense and he runs it well  when he needs to.

GuvHog

I swear,  some of y'all need to go watch some video of SMU's offense from this year. The quarterback in the Morris system at SMU is NOT a dual threat QB, he is a pro style shotgun passing QB. Cole Kelly will fit perfectly in Morris's offense with the cannon he has for an arm.. Do any  of y'all remember when Mallett ran the spread under Petrino?? He was way slower than Kelly and he ran it just fine.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Billy Bats

Quote from: GuvHog on December 07, 2017, 07:13:29 pm
I swear,  some of y'all need to go watch some video of SMU's offense from this year. The quarterback in the Morris system at SMU is NOT a dual threat QB, he is a pro style shotgun passing QB. Cole Kelly will fit perfectly in Morris's offense with the cannon he has for an arm.. Do any  of y'all remember when Mallett ran the spread under Petrino?? He was way slower than Kelly and he ran it just fine.

One of his first statements as the hog HC was about speed.  Just saying.  Having an RPO QB that runs a 4.4 could add a dimension to our offense we haven't had in over a decade.

threeNout

Quote from: RebHog on December 07, 2017, 06:57:46 pm
I would be more worried about his passing and target progression. It wasn't good last year in both regards but its hard to tell how much is on him and how much was on the pathetic O line play.

He was shell shocked half the time, under duress his mechanics would break down and hurt his accuracy.

showed at other times, in the right conditions, he could be very accurate.

would seem to be very fixable.

threeNout

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 07:19:36 pm
One of his first statements as the hog HC was about speed.  Just saying.  Having an RPO QB that runs a 4.4 could add a dimension to our offense we haven't had in over a decade.

That sounds like his plan A, and we'll see who he can bring in, could be exciting.

CK's abilities, AND experience will be a valuable asset either way.

Hogs-n-Roses

Derby did it just fine. Cole isn't a NFL QB. The move would be logical to a blocking TE.

1highhog

Quote from: Hawgphat on December 07, 2017, 06:17:10 pm
Serious question:

Slot receiver??  ROFLMAO!

Billy Bats

Quote from: threeNout on December 07, 2017, 07:21:52 pm
He was shell shocked half the time, under duress his mechanics would break down and hurt his accuracy.

showed at other times, in the right conditions, he could be very accurate.

would seem to be very fixable.

Yeah, he did look like a WW1 vet out there at times.

Hawgphat

I have absolutely nothing against CK  (apart from his DUI indiscretion).  I appreciate his talent.  I would hate to see him either transfer or be obliged to regress to 2nd or 3rd string backup QB.  I simply would like to see his skills used to the fullest capacity possible; that's all.

GuvHog

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 07:19:36 pm
One of his first statements as the hog HC was about speed.  Just saying.  Having an RPO QB that runs a 4.4 could add a dimension to our offense we haven’t had in over a decade.

That's not the type of offense Morris runs. Like I said, watch some videos of SMU's offense this year. Rarely does the QB ever keep the ball and run it.

nwahogfan1

I agree if he is willing to run the ball and be tough.  There was a guy named Tebow who ran the spread pretty well.

Billy Bats

Quote from: GuvHog on December 07, 2017, 07:34:07 pm
That's not the type of offense Morris runs. Like I said, watch some videos of SMU's offense this year. Rarely does the QB ever keep the ball and run it.

It's 100% the kind of offense he ran at Clemson.  He adapts and plays to his strengths.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 07, 2017, 07:25:47 pm
Derby did it just fine. Cole isn't a NFL QB. The move would be logical to a blocking TE.

That's ridiculous. You don't put a QB with a cannon for an arm at TE. That's just plain silly.

ronmahony

I agree, with a little work on his touch I think he will be just fine as QB.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.