Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brandon Martin in Morris Offense

Started by TexasRazorback, December 07, 2017, 10:43:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasRazorback

With his skill set I could see Martin exploding in Morris system as well as all our young wideouts, Jones, Warren, Nance, and Hammonds.

ChicoHog

We need guys who can get those 50/50 balls which are so popular in today's game.  martin may be one of those guys because he is big but not Warren, Nance or Hammonds.  Warren and Hammonds are more of the slant or bubble screen type guys.  I'd love to see a couple more 6'5" type receivers. 

nwapoolandspa

He's the first WR I thought of too who might explode in this offense.  He certainly has the measurables. 

Tim Harris

We need him and a couple others to really step up next year.  Will go along ways in the transition to this new offense.

King Kong

Offensive I think we have the talent skill position (WR and RB) to get his offense done. Oline has to get better. However, we know have a lot of experience there.

QB wise I'm very interested into see what we do. Not 100% convinced Kelly can be that guy in this offense.

bville_hog

He would have done well this year if he were allowed on the field more than a few plays a game.  I just want a coach who will utilize the talent he has.

AirWarren

Quote from: nwapoolandspa on December 07, 2017, 10:45:58 am
He's the first WR I thought of too who might explode in this offense.  He certainly has the measurables.

Honest question. Does he have true speed though?

We just looked so slow this year.

MAGA45

Can't forget Koilan(sp?) Jackson either.  Was getting high praise before his injury last fall.
Fake News

ElDawgHawg

Pettway comes to mind as a guy who could see his role increased.
#WPS

EconHawg

It will be interesting to see where Jarrod Barnes fits in next year as well. If G-Bo does go to LSU I wonder if Barnes stays at WR or gets a shot at QB.

The NewEra

Quote from: TexasRazorback on December 07, 2017, 10:43:03 am
With his skill set I could see Martin exploding in Morris system as well as all our young wideouts, Jones, Warren, Nance, and Hammonds.

I notice when people are talking about our receivers, the name K. Jackson keeps being left out.  He was a star in camp prior to his injury.  Let's not sleep on his potential contribution.

The NewEra

Quote from: MAGA45 on December 07, 2017, 11:00:20 am
Can't forget Koilan(sp?) Jackson either.  Was getting high praise before his injury last fall.

Oops, didn't see your post.  You and I were thinking the same thing.

Kevin

it will be interesting to see if new players emerge with this new staff
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogboarder

I bet our wideouts our licking their chops. How exciting for them.

AirWarren

Quote from: EconHawg on December 07, 2017, 11:03:26 am
It will be interesting to see where Jarrod Barnes fits in next year as well. If G-Bo does go to LSU I wonder if Barnes stays at WR or gets a shot at QB.

If I am looking at speed....and I am going by what I know because I haven't seen Martin play. These are my burners.

In no particular order:
1. Jordan Jones
2. Deon Stewart
3. Jared Cornelius
4. Devion Warren
Speed Wild Card: Gary Cross/Tobias Enlow

Koilan Jackson(innovation reference player), TJ Hammonds(innovation reference player), Maleek Barkley, Koafi Boteng, Brandon Martin and LaMichael Pettway.

If he is the coach he says he is, he will have plenty of WR to work with and get them in space.

IronHog

Quote from: ElDawgHawg on December 07, 2017, 11:01:15 am

I'd say Jones, Pettway, and Gragg are more talented than the Warren boys were

Just need a coach
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

King Kong

Quote from: ElDawgHawg on December 07, 2017, 11:01:15 am

I think we had Pettway before. We called him London Crawford at the time

The NewEra

Quote from: hogboarder on December 07, 2017, 11:10:15 am
I bet our wideouts our licking their chops. How exciting for them.

We could probably double our wide receiver #'s and everyone would still be getting touches.  Very exciting.

CCM said he will be using those TE's also.  We have some good ones.

AirWarren

Quote from: IronHog on December 07, 2017, 11:12:28 am

Just need a coach

I disagree.

But would be awesome if you were right. We both win, ha.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: The NewEra on December 07, 2017, 11:07:07 am
I notice when people are talking about our receivers, the name K. Jackson keeps being left out.  He was a star in camp prior to his injury.  Let's not sleep on his potential contribution.
Its nothing personal. People leave him off because they haven't seen him. Most people have forgotten he was even up there
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Iwastherein1969

I couldn't agree more, our WR crew is going to blow up next year. There is speed and talent there. We just didn't have the ability to run the ball well enough to set up the play action pass. Now, its bang bang bang and the ball is out. NO MORE HOGANESE, THANK GOD !
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HF#1

The one thing Coach won't be void of is options on the outside. We even have decent speed out there.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

redneckfriend

This "burner" stuff is for the most part nonsense- SEC defensive backs are "burners" as well. What works is what you see on the elite teams in the conference- receivers who can catch any ball and win any battle. I haven't seen that skill set with these guys. Perhaps Allen was just too anxious about interceptions to give them a chance. You don't throw into double coverage but you do need to have confidence that your guy will come away with the ball in single coverage.

AirWarren

Quote from: King Kong on December 07, 2017, 11:12:37 am
I think we had Pettway before. We called him London Crawford at the time

Excellent comparison.

farmhawg

The detailed preparation of this group will make worlds of difference. We saw it with petrino now we will see it again with someone they will love.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

jgphillips3

Jones and Martin should explode.  If we have time to allow down field routes to develop, Jones has that legit 4.3 speed to burn people.  Martin is big, tall and can go get the ball.  Nance is a solid, all around receiver.  They should all look far, far better in this offense.

Pork Ranger

Just need a coach

That's a pretty lofty statement. Those Warren boys all spent time in the NFL

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kevin on December 07, 2017, 11:09:06 am
it will be interesting to see if new players emerge with this new staff

Sure they will. Unfortunately some players might leave also. There is always player turnover when a coaching change is made.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

IronHog

Quote from: Pork Ranger on December 07, 2017, 12:33:42 pm
That's a pretty lofty statement. Those Warren boys all spent time in the NFL

From an athletic standpoint

The Warren boys were much better players at the same point
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hawgdavis

I think we will finally get to see what players like Hammonds and Martin can do. There are some nice pieces to work with here on offense and defense. The Ol is still the place that needs the most attention, get that fixed in short order and we could have a nice year next year.

searkhogfan

Just need a coach

Come on now.  Wright, Childs, & Gragg were playmakers as true freshmen

#1 STUNNA

Greg Childs is the last legit wide receiver we had. Help is coming in 2019. Burks will shine from day one. lol.. Burks will be Sutton for SMU for Morris offense.

pigtrino

Quote from: EconHawg on December 07, 2017, 11:03:26 am

What about Warren at quarterback?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: redneckfriend on December 07, 2017, 11:50:09 am
This "burner" stuff is for the most part nonsense- SEC defensive backs are "burners" as well. What works is what you see on the elite teams in the conference- receivers who can catch any ball and win any battle. I haven't seen that skill set with these guys. Perhaps Allen was just too anxious about interceptions to give them a chance. You don't throw into double coverage but you do need to have confidence that your guy will come away with the ball in single coverage.

The problem with the group we have now is that they don't run crisp routes.  I watched HdN run practices, then Bobby P, John L. and now Bret.  Bret and HdN didn't seem to know how to coach WR.  When Gus came in under HdN was the first time I really saw a coach worrying about footwork and proper route running.  When Bobby P. came in it was crazy how hard he was on those boys.  What foot to put in the ground.  Which way to tilt your head on a fake and how much.  That route is 10 yards, not 10.3 yards.  That cut must be made at 12 yards...etc.  Bobby P coached his receivers to get open and get separation while running routes. 

Our receivers now never get the defender off their hip or get a step on anyone because they float on their routes.  They are sloppy, they don't stick their foot in the ground to make a cut, they sell the fake.

"IF" and that is a big "if" Chad can coach those speed guys up, then it will make all the difference in the world.  It is the SEC, everyone has speed.  We have to do something to get their guys to lose a step against our guys.  Good route running will get that.  Then we have enough speed that we can make it difficult for their speed to catch our speed.
Retired Radio Host

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TexasRazorback on December 07, 2017, 10:43:03 am

You may see a look back to a Petrino style of route running where Receivers and the QB have to be on the same page with regard to route running in response to reading potential defensive coverage packages. In the end, you may see more of a "bending" of routes to find open space between coverage levels (in zone) and/or more quick hitters that provide the receivers with some room to try to make a play off of a 5 yard completion on a slant (in man coverage) and of course at times, when it is set up, the deeper throw down the sideline.

Many are going to look at the Morris offense and be reminded of the Petrino days, but with a faster pace. Plus, we will see a lot of mis-direction with motions and if this is successful, we will see the run offense have more success as well. One thing that I think is certain, we will be going 100 MPH all the time. This will require some adjustment for everyone on offense.

Now go get that "best DC in the country" and we will be well ahead of the game. 
Go Hogs Go!

jcharkansas

Just need a coach
Idk those Warren boys were pretty stout, especially childs before he got hurt.. I wonder if Pettway can step up and be similar to him... I think he's the closest size wise we have to a child's type receiver....

Snout team

Just need a coach

Lol
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

#1 STUNNA

Yea.. no disrespect to the receivers we have now... but Greg childs was a freak receiver and would have been a first round draft pick if not for injuries.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 07, 2017, 08:00:32 pm
You may see a look back to a Petrino style of route running where Receivers and the QB have to be on the same page with regard to route running in response to reading potential defensive coverage packages. In the end, you may see more of a "bending" of routes to find open space between coverage levels (in zone) and/or more quick hitters that provide the receivers with some room to try to make a play off of a 5 yard completion on a slant (in man coverage) and of course at times, when it is set up, the deeper throw down the sideline.

Many are going to look at the Morris offense and be reminded of the Petrino days, but with a faster pace. Plus, we will see a lot of mis-direction with motions and if this is successful, we will see the run offense have more success as well. One thing that I think is certain, we will be going 100 MPH all the time. This will require some adjustment for everyone on offense.

Now go get that "best DC in the country" and we will be well ahead of the game.

Our wrs this season had no idea how to break off routes.  I don't blame AA for being frustrated.  Contested tough catches were rare too.  That left with Hatcher.  Hopefully the wrs step up next season. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 07, 2017, 09:59:00 pm
Yea.. no disrespect to the receivers we have now... but Greg childs was a freak receiver and would have been a first round draft pick if not for injuries.

If Petrino wouldn't have left him in that Vandy game where Vandy couldn't get a first down.   ;D  This may have been discussed a few times. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Semohog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 07, 2017, 10:01:40 pm
Our wrs this season had no idea how to break off routes.  I don't blame AA for being frustrated.  Contested tough catches were rare too.  That left with Hatcher.  Hopefully the wrs step up next season.
The lack of running game and Allen running for his life combined with his injury didn't help our WR either.

incHOGnito

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 07, 2017, 05:14:48 pm
Greg Childs is the last legit wide receiver we had. Help is coming in 2019. Burks will shine from day one. lol.. Burks will be Sutton for SMU for Morris offense.

If you are talking about a jump-ball style, "throw-it-up-and-I'll-go-get-it" type of receiver, then yes, he was the last one with those true measurable that produced, but Keon Hatcher made some awfully tough catches out fighting people and going over the middle in traffic, so I would not discount what he did in his last two full seasons.

Semohog

Quote from: incHOGnito on December 07, 2017, 10:14:41 pm
If you are talking about a jump-ball style, "throw-it-up-and-I'll-go-get-it" type of receiver, then yes, he was the last one with those true measurable that produced, but Keon Hatcher made some awfully tough catches out fighting people and going over the middle in traffic, so I would not discount what he did in his last two full seasons.

I dont remember Keon ever dropping a pass either.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: mboot on December 07, 2017, 10:17:40 pm

Well he dropped a lot his Soph year. But year his last 2 1/3 years he was great

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: bville_hog on December 07, 2017, 10:57:26 am
He would have done well this year if he were allowed on the field more than a few plays a game.  I just want a coach who will utilize the talent he has.
Maybe don't punch other team members in the face and you play more snaps? That's just a suggestion...
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

nwapoolandspa

Quote from: AP85 on December 07, 2017, 10:58:57 am
Honest question. Does he have true speed though?

We just looked so slow this year.

Well, his reported 40 time was 4.37. I'd say that's fast enough.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: mboot on December 07, 2017, 10:17:40 pm

Have you guys forgotten Cobi Hamilton?  He wasn't too bad at that either.
Retired Radio Host

#1 STUNNA

When i mean legit people all around the country know who you are. All American type player. Child is the last legit First or second round NFL talent we had at the receiver position. Injuries killed his football career.

#1 STUNNA

Hamilton was also a very good receiver to come out of Arkansas. Just wasn't a freak athlete.