Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Two signals we hired the right guy...

Started by Al Boarland, December 07, 2017, 10:41:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisGuy

Quote from: Wildhog on December 07, 2017, 12:32:14 pm
We don't have to sign top 15 classes.  We just have to consistently meet our needs and not take any reaches.  Can't afford a bust rate as high as we had under CBB.
This. One big problem BB had was some of his top ranked prospects never seeing the field.

Wildhog

Quote from: ThisGuy on December 07, 2017, 01:59:44 pm
This. One big problem BB had was some of his top ranked prospects never seeing the field.

Yep.  WAY too many busts. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

redneckfriend

Quote from: Wildhog on December 07, 2017, 01:51:43 pm
lol, I have. 

We're not ever going to consistently sign top 15 classes.  It will never happen.  That's not to say we can't occasionally sneak in there with a special class.

If he doesn't at least make a good start he will join Bret Bielema on the unemployment line. He better know that coming in or he isn't even bright enough to be a college football coach. You don't beat Alabama and Auburn defensive lines by fancy plays.

Petrino certainly never could beat Alabama- when he came up against the talent they had it was "game over" before the game even began. The OP was exactly right: he needs to send a "signal" that he understands the importance of defense in the SEC west and a "signal" that he understands the importance of recruiting in the SEC west.

Wildhog

Quote from: redneckfriend on December 07, 2017, 02:03:46 pm
If he doesn't at least make a good start he will join Bret Bielema on the unemployment line. He better know that coming in or he isn't even bright enough to be a college football coach. You don't beat Alabama and Auburn defensive lines by fancy plays.

Petrino certainly never could beat Alabama- when he came up against the talent they had it was "game over" before the game even began. The OP was exactly right: he needs to send a "signal" that he understands the importance of defense in the SEC west and a "signal" that he understands the importance of recruiting in the SEC west.

No one on this board is more concerned with recruiting than me.  I'm just telling you, we're not ever going to consistently sign top 15 classes, regardless of who the coach is.
1909/1964/1965/1977

BroyledNutts

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 07, 2017, 11:18:13 am
Anyone else feel like the Hog Call should be in the stadium only.  Nowadays it seems awkward when done at press conferences and places or times outside of game days/pep rallys.     

Yep...

Al Boarland

Quote from: Wildhog on December 07, 2017, 01:51:43 pm
lol, I have. 

We're not ever going to consistently sign top 15 classes.  It will never happen.  That's not to say we can't occasionally sneak in there with a special class.

Then we are destined for mediocrity.

Dionysos25

From Footballscoop.com

"Sources tell FootballScoop SMU is looking for the "next Chad Morris." While that may be hard to find, what is being sought is "an offensive minded guy, innovative, the players will like and respect and who will recruit the daylight out of Texas," a source tells FootballScoop..."

Why would they be looking for "The next Chad Morris" .. if he's as terrible as you guys portray him.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

ThisGuy

I honestly don't think BB was a bad recruiter I think his down fall was top prospects not panning out especially along the O line

Wildhog

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 07, 2017, 02:10:52 pm
Then we are destined for mediocrity.

Very probably.  Learn to live with it.  Hope for the best.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Wildhog on December 07, 2017, 12:05:16 pm
Really hoping the new S&C coach is all-in on speed training.

I think I saw a quote from him that was "you either have speed or you're chasing speed".  I am optimistic that he will be changing this issue quickly.

Billy Bats

Quote from: redneckfriend on December 07, 2017, 02:03:46 pm

Petrino lost to Bama 24-20 at DWRRS in 2010.  Hardly "game over before it began".

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Dionysos25 on December 07, 2017, 02:10:56 pm
From Footballscoop.com

"Sources tell FootballScoop SMU is looking for the "next Chad Morris." While that may be hard to find, what is being sought is "an offensive minded guy, innovative, the players will like and respect and who will recruit the daylight out of Texas," a source tells FootballScoop..."

Why would they be looking for "The next Chad Morris" .. if he's as terrible as you guys portray him.

Oh, I don't know ... maybe because he's one of the better coaches they've had since the death penalty? Doesn't mean he's going to be the next coming of Nick Saban here ... just means SMU liked him.

Billy Bats

elksnort

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 07, 2017, 11:18:13 am
Anyone else feel like the Hog Call should be in the stadium only.  Nowadays it seems awkward when done at press conferences and places or times outside of game days/pep rallys.     
You know I agree. To me it's an emotional and timely thing to do. It just does not seem right at banquets, press conferences, or church. It seems forced if not at the game or pep rally.

Supermark101

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 07, 2017, 10:41:30 am
1.  The defensive staff he puts together.  Like CPR, who is a good coach, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken stuff. 

Which leads to the second signal.

2.  In year 2 the recruiting class breaks into the top 15.

Without those two things it won't matter how good of a hire it was.  You aren't going to consistently win with inferior talent.  If the above doesn't happen we should expect to win our cupcakes, but all the teams so many think we should be auto-W's will still be toss-ups.  I'm TBD on beating the teams with a sig talent advantage.

The 2019 has a chance to be top 15 with an aversge recruitor. I'll be extremely worried if he doesn't land Brian Williams and Grant Gunnel

redneckfriend

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 02:13:59 pm
Petrino lost to Bama 24-20 at DWRRS in 2010.  Hardly "game over before it began".

On the other hand Arkansas gained 64 yds rushing and stayed in the game because of Ryan Mallett and McElroy's 3 ints. and we won't mention some of the other scores from that period.

ChicoHog

Quote from: bkjbearcat on December 07, 2017, 11:44:07 am
A top 20 class by year three is all I ask for. 17, 18, 19, 20 somewhere in that range. We can recruit equal to what Tenn and SC does.
Correct.  We need to break into the top 20 and top half of the SEC to do some damage on the field.  And of course those guys need to develop, play and not get kicked off or transfer out.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 07, 2017, 12:34:23 pm
Dude you obviously aren't a Hog fan IF you don't want to do the Hog call anytime anywhere!
Agree. Heck, I have it down to be part of my funeral.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

redeye

PorkSoda

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 07, 2017, 11:15:30 am
Using the Bobby years is a foolish comparison.  There is more talent in the conference now than we he won at the UofA. 
lol.  you are foolish if you think that
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hehawg

Finebaum crew gives Arkansas a grade of C..and Jeremy Pruitt an A? SMDH WTH
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

hassettsportsman

When he told the team to sit up straight and pay attention!  He won't take any BS from the ones who won't buy in!

Peter Porker

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 12:08:13 pm
Seriously?  The SEC has like three good teams.  They were all good when Bobby was here.

Not accurate.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 07, 2017, 05:20:40 pm
Not accurate.
so you don't remember when 5 of the 6 SEC W teams were all ranked and 3 of them in the top 5?

did you realize and SEC team won the NC every single year CBP was coaching at arkansas?
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Peter Porker

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 07, 2017, 05:22:09 pm
so you don't remember when 5 of the 6 SEC W teams were all ranked and 3 of them in the top 5?

When Petrino was here?

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Billy Bats

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 07, 2017, 05:23:14 pm
When Petrino was here?

YES!!!!!!!  We were third in the nation and third in the SEC West.  How can you not remember this? 

Peter Porker

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 05:24:25 pm
YES!!!!!!!  We were third in the nation and third in the SEC West.  How can you not remember this?

Didn't Ole Miss go 2-10 in 2011?

Billy Bats

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 07, 2017, 05:26:08 pm
Didn't Ole Miss go 2-10 in 2011?

Wasn't LSU, Florida, Tenner, Mizzou all way better than they are now?  The SEC is arguably not even the best conference anymore.  Then the SEC was the undisputed king.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: David† on December 07, 2017, 11:00:56 am
Anybody that dances like he does isn't going to feel uncomfortable calling the hogs. Lol

Without a doubt.

At least he didn't do an Altman.
This is my non-signature signature.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 05:48:09 pm
Wasn't LSU, Florida, Tenner, Mizzou all way better than they are now?  The SEC is arguably not even the best conference anymore.  Then the SEC was the undisputed king.

That's not what you said. Don't move the goalposts.

Billy Bats

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 07, 2017, 06:09:46 pm
That's not what you said. Don't move the goalposts.

That's exactly what I said.  The SEC was unreal when CBP was here.  Now it has three good teams. Not as good.  That's what I'm saying. 

Porkette

I like the hog call at the press conference. Sure, it's a little awkward outside of a ball game/pep rally setting, but these traditions in all their silliness matter in college sports. Showing that you don't think you're too good to call the hogs is like a Razorback rite of initiation.  :)
GO HOGS GO!

Peter Porker

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 06:14:52 pm
That's exactly what I said.  The SEC was unreal when CBP was here.  Now it has three good teams. Not as good.  That's what I'm saying.

Lol unreal? No, it wasn't. Try again. We beat 3 teams with winning conference records. SCAR twice and LSU once in 2010 and 2011.

Peter Porker

In 2010 there were 2 East teams with winning records. 7 overall.

AugustaHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 07, 2017, 11:14:36 am
Not relative to the tip tier of the conference, but it gives us a good shot at winning ~8 games every season.
None of this is correct.  With the right coach and system you can win more than 8 games with a recruiting class around 15.  This would be the best class we've had in a long time.  Petrino won 21 games in two years and never got a class that high.  This is all going to depend on how that class is dispersed and if we can get some defensive recruits that are playmakers.  '19 has some potential 5* caliber guys that we will have a very good shot at.  Burks, Henry, and Gunnell could make a nasty core of studs for that class.  Those are the ones we know.  CCM will definitely have us on some other elite guys that we aren't aware of yet.  We will see what he's made of for sure.

Billy Bats

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 07, 2017, 06:24:07 pm
In 2010 there were 2 East teams with winning records. 7 overall.

In 2010 there were 5 teams in the SEC West ranked in the top 15.  That's a lot better than two.  5>2. 

Billy Bats

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 07, 2017, 06:21:21 pm
Lol unreal? No, it wasn't. Try again. We beat 3 teams with winning conference records. SCAR twice and LSU once in 2010 and 2011.

The SEC was better during the CBP era.  That's a fact.  Don't need to try anything again. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 07, 2017, 06:21:21 pm
news flash, when you beat a team they lose.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 06:31:15 pm

The SEC was better during the CBP era.  That's a fact.  Don't need to try anything again.

Wrong. The East was garbage. Ole Miss was garbage in 2010 and 2011. Miss. St. was up and down. Auburn too. Saban' s 2nd worse season at Bama was 2010 (still beat booby).

Billy Bats

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 07, 2017, 06:42:38 pm
Wrong. The East was garbage. Ole Miss was garbage in 2010 and 2011. Miss. St. was up and down. Auburn too. Saban' s 2nd worse season at Bama was 2010 (still beat booby).

FIVE TEAMS IN THE TOP 15 IN THE SEC WEST.  What other conference was better?  Cause we are arguably 2nd or third best now.  The SEC East is garbage now dude!

Augustus

Quote from: hehawg on December 07, 2017, 05:02:04 pm
Finebaum crew gives Arkansas a grade of C..and Jeremy Pruitt an A? SMDH WTH

That's because David Bazzel was on their show yesterday, and said "We'll see how he does here..."

instead of saying "He's a homerun hire!"

Finebaum & his 2 guys at the board kept commenting about "Arkansas doesn't seem excited about this hire"

I'm sure Finebaum & crew... like many on this board... are basing their opinion on:
1)  a single stat:  Morris' record at SMU.  (like many others on this board are basing their opinion on)
2)  reaction from people like Bazzel, which there are separate threads about why he is reacting the way he is about this hire

Pruitt is from Bama, and Finebaum's bread & butter is Bama fans. Always has been. They will always up-sell any hire that is a Bama Assistant Coach.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 07, 2017, 06:42:38 pm
2011   Alabama
2010   Auburn
2009   Alabama
2008   Florida
2007   LSU

yup, SEC was definitely down during CBP tenure

2016   Clemson
2015   Alabama
2014   Ohio State
2013   Florida State

SEC definitely dominated during CBB's tenure.