Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Two signals we hired the right guy...

Started by Al Boarland, December 07, 2017, 10:41:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Boarland

1.  The defensive staff he puts together.  Like CPR, who is a good coach, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken stuff. 

Which leads to the second signal.

2.  In year 2 the recruiting class breaks into the top 15.

Without those two things it won't matter how good of a hire it was.  You aren't going to consistently win with inferior talent.  If the above doesn't happen we should expect to win our cupcakes, but all the teams so many think we should be auto-W's will still be toss-ups.  I'm TBD on beating the teams with a sig talent advantage. 

AirWarren

And he looked good doing the Hog call.

Thank God.

CiriusPorker

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 07, 2017, 10:41:30 am
1.  The defensive staff he puts together.  Like CPR, who is a good coach, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken stuff. 

Without those two things it won't matter how good of a hire it was.  You aren't going to consistently win with inferior talent.  If the above doesn't happen we should expect to win our cupcakes, but all the teams so many think we should be auto-W's will still be toss-ups.  I'm TBD on beating the teams with a sig talent advantage. 

How high did Bobby get in recruiting? I personally don't remember.

David†

Quote from: AP85 on December 07, 2017, 10:52:45 am

Thank God.

Anybody that dances like he does isn't going to feel uncomfortable calling the hogs. Lol

Wildhog

Quote from: CiriusPorker on December 07, 2017, 10:55:43 am

The '09 class was ranked 16th.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

hoginator

Thank God.
Thanks for posting this. Only reason I jumped on during this busy day at work. Silly, but wanted to know this...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

David†

Quote from: blu on December 07, 2017, 11:01:44 am
Top 15 in recruiting means squat.

It means we would have the best class we've had in decades. So there's that.

BLS50

In my 30 years in the Army, many times I used the phrase taught to me by a mentor......"words are cheap, it's actions that counts."  I think we have hired a great Coach......a good Leader, with the right Priorities.  Man o Man, he can get you fired up for sure.  I appreciate his roots, and looking forward to having fun at Hog Games.  Yes, it may take some time.......that's OK with me.  Coach, welcome to Arkansas and Go Hogs!

Al Boarland

Not relative to the tip tier of the conference, but it gives us a good shot at winning ~8 games every season.

Al Boarland

Using the Bobby years is a foolish comparison.  There is more talent in the conference now than we he won at the UofA. 

ThisTeetsTaken

Thank God.
Anyone else feel like the Hog Call should be in the stadium only.  Nowadays it seems awkward when done at press conferences and places or times outside of game days/pep rallys.     
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

AirWarren

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 07, 2017, 11:18:13 am
Anyone else feel like the Hog Call should be in the stadium only.  Nowadays it seems awkward when done at press conferences and places or times outside of game days/pep rallys.   

I would be down with that.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 07, 2017, 11:15:30 am
Using the Bobby years is a foolish comparison.  There is more talent in the conference now than we he won at the UofA. 

Not really.  It's either about the same or down a bit.  Teams can't sign 30 and cycle out busts anymore.

redneckfriend

Quote from: David† on December 07, 2017, 11:03:09 am
It means we would have the best class we've had in decades. So there's that.

Maybe it would be the start of some on-field success. I haven't checked recently but I don't think 15 would stack up very well in the SEC west- it would be something though after years of mediocrity.

bkjbearcat

A top 20 class by year three is all I ask for. 17, 18, 19, 20 somewhere in that range. We can recruit equal to what Tenn and SC does.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bkjbearcat on December 07, 2017, 11:44:07 am
A top 20 class by year three is all I ask for. 17, 18, 19, 20 somewhere in that range.

Hovering anywhere around #20 plus or minus consistently would be outstanding for us.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

swineology

How bout we just stop that dumb tradition all together?

redeye

So he just needs to do what's never been done before at Arkansas?

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Wildhog on December 07, 2017, 11:01:15 am
The '09 class was ranked 16th.
Mallett wasn't counted in that class..one imagines he would have put us in the top 10
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

clew

Quote from: swineology on December 07, 2017, 11:45:54 am
how about you stop posting your dumb darn altogether?
Pure as the dawn

UA1985

Those signals would definitely indicate we're on a path to success, but Petrino had us ranked in the top 5 without top-15 recruiting classes.

The Kig

So...how's that been working out for us?  It has been obvious,  despite the coaching deficiencies, that we have had a significant gap in talent between other SEC teams over the past few years.  Slow defensive players that were also hampered by poor coaching led to historically bad Defenses the past 3 years. 
Poker Porker

Wildhog

Quote from: The Kig on December 07, 2017, 12:03:09 pm
So...how's that been working out for us?  It has been obvious,  despite the coaching deficiencies, that we have had a significant gap in talent between other SEC teams over the past few years.  Slow defensive players that were also hampered by poor coaching led to historically bad Defenses the past 3 years. 

Really hoping the new S&C coach is all-in on speed training.
1909/1964/1965/1977

MC_Hog

Oh I disagree you can make chicken salad out of chicken crap but do you really want to eat it?

Billy Bats

Seriously?  The SEC has like three good teams.  They were all good when Bobby was here. 

redeye

IIRC, the '09 class inside the state was the best ever, so that had a lot to do with Arkansas' '09 class being so good.  Petrino got really lucky with all the great instate players when he was here, because Arkansas was turning out talent better than ever and it was the type of talent he needed.

Wildhog

Quote from: redeye on December 07, 2017, 12:08:34 pm
IIRC, the '09 class inside the state was the best ever, so that had a lot to do with Arkansas' '09 class being so good.  Petrino got really lucky with all the great instate players when he was here, because Arkansas was turning out talent better than ever and it was the type of talent he needed.

You're thinking of the '08 class.
1909/1964/1965/1977

swineology

Quote from: clew on December 07, 2017, 11:58:26 am
how about you stop posting your dumb darn altogether?

How bout you turn your sarcasm meter on so you can detect it, it's obvious you can't see it.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 12:08:13 pm
Seriously?  The SEC has like three good teams.  They were all good when Bobby was here.
Uh, no. How does one say, "conjecture" ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Al Boarland

Quote from: redeye on December 07, 2017, 11:48:15 am
So he just needs to do what's never been done before at Arkansas?

If he wants to do what's never been done (championship) at Arkansas, yes.

Wildhog

We don't have to sign top 15 classes.  We just have to consistently meet our needs and not take any reaches.  Can't afford a bust rate as high as we had under CBB.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Wildhog on December 07, 2017, 12:05:16 pm
He'll have to be.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Inhogswetrust

December 07, 2017, 12:34:23 pm #35 Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:50:59 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: swineology on December 07, 2017, 11:45:54 am

Dude you obviously aren't a Hog fan IF you don't want to do the Hog call anytime anywhere!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Youngsta71701

Not top 15 that's for sure.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hogginbama

Quote from: hoginator on December 07, 2017, 11:01:59 am
Thanks for posting this. Only reason I jumped on during this busy day at work. Silly, but wanted to know this...

Now you know the Hog Call is the only measure of a great coach at Arkansas. It matters if he started with the traditional sound or the newly implemented "wolf-call" that the younger generation has started. Well, the Hog Call and their high school record.....what a joke.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Youngsta71701

I'm witcha.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 07, 2017, 11:55:05 am
Mallett wasn't counted in that class..one imagines he would have put us in the top 10

Mallett was prior to 2009 class.  Came in January 2008, about a month after BP arrived.

clew

Quote from: swineology on December 07, 2017, 12:16:18 pm
How bout you turn your sarcasm meter on so you can detect it, it's obvious you can't see it.
lol. You're right. It went right over my head. Sorry.
Pure as the dawn

OtterHog

Quote from: Wildhog on December 07, 2017, 12:05:16 pm

Really any training at all would be an improvement. Our team not sucking wind by the end of the 3rd quarter would be nice.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on December 07, 2017, 12:32:14 pm
We don't have to sign top 15 classes.  We just have to consistently meet our needs and not take any reaches.  Can't afford a bust rate as high as we had under CBB.

Right, but meeting our needs means doing so with actual SEC talented players.  I know that seemingly goes without saying, but it's a blast to follow the recruiting forum with poster after poster shunning the idea that the guys we're signing each don't have much of an offer sheet.  They argue "...meeting needs, though.".  "We're meeting our needs".  As if we need to put an emphasis on LB's in the class, so we sign 5 no-body LB's, but hey, it meets our needs...bodies at the right position meet our needs.

You already know this.  I'm just venting in general about recruiting.

Make no mistake, we need higher ranked classes consistently.

MuskogeeHogFan

You are right, one top 15 class doesn't mean a great deal. Give me 3 to 4 of those back to back to back and now you are starting to put together some talent.
Go Hogs Go!

HamGrowsOnTrees

Lol

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 07, 2017, 12:46:09 pm
Right, but meeting our needs means doing so with actual SEC talented players.  I know that seemingly goes without saying, but it's a blast to follow the recruiting forum with poster after poster shunning the idea that the guys we're signing each don't have much of an offer sheet.  They argue "...meeting needs, though.".  "We're meeting our needs".  As if we need to put an emphasis on LB's in the class, so we sign 5 no-body LB's, but hey, it meets our needs...bodies at the right position meet our needs.

You already know this.  I'm just venting in general about recruiting.

Make no mistake, we need higher ranked classes consistently.

Totally agree.  That's pretty much what I meant by "taking no reaches." 

I don't want to see us take a bunch of guys with G5 offer sheets.
1909/1964/1965/1977

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Wildhog on December 07, 2017, 12:32:14 pm

Look at the contenders in the conference.

Wildhog

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 07, 2017, 01:48:12 pm
Look at the contenders in the conference.

lol, I have. 

We're not ever going to consistently sign top 15 classes.  It will never happen.  That's not to say we can't occasionally sneak in there with a special class.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 07, 2017, 12:30:05 pm
If he wants to do what's never been done (championship) at Arkansas, yes.

Definitely would be my goal as coach....600k for him if it happens.