Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Little Advice for those of us Excited about CM

Started by WilsonHog, December 06, 2017, 02:30:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: moses_007 on December 06, 2017, 02:54:10 pm
IMHO, all signature lines should be removed, and not allowed again.  Some posters have signature lines as long as 2-3 posts, which is ridiculous.

How 'bout taking the sig lines out along with Karma and giving us an ignore option?
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on December 06, 2017, 02:30:03 pm
Now, they are going to come up with cute names. They'll call themselves "darksiders," and you a "sunshine pumper."

Hanging Chad?

Morris Mobster?

It's early yet but whatever happens on the field I can already see the endless potential for fun with this bunch.

Baa! Baa!

BR

"I am incredibly happy for Chad Morris and his wife Paula," Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said via a release from Arkansas. "It has been fun to see someone who coaches here blossom in his career. He did a phenomenal job in his four years at Clemson and it has been exciting to see what he has done at SMU. I believe he will be a great fit at Arkansas and I am excited to see what he will do with that program."

Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables, who was also considered a candidate for the Arkansas job, offered his congratulations to his former co-worker as well. The two served together as coordinators under Swinney from 2012-14.

"Chad Morris is an outside-the-box thinker and an incredible football coach," Venables told Arkansas.

Former Clemson quarterback and Houston Texans star Deshaun Watson was recruited to the Tigers by Morris. He also gave his thoughts to Arkansas upon word of the Razorbacks hire.

"He was the first one to offer me," Watson said via Arkansas release. "The relationship was bigger than football and getting me on campus. Chad Morris has had a huge impact on my life."
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

GuvHog

Quote from: OtterHog™ on December 06, 2017, 02:38:46 pm
I've posted plenty of negative things on here and been attacked just like everyone else.

It's the overly dramatic "swearing off of the program" that is insane.

You may not personally be guilty of that, but you'd think we just hired Hitler with the way people are writing off their "beloved" Hogs.

If you're a fan, you'll support the team no matter what.

I agree with your last line.

I'm not a Darksider when it comes to coach Morris, I refuse to be one even though I'm disappointed by the hire. I'm also taking a wait and see attitude.

I've watched some videos of his 2017 SMU offense and I like what I see. It will be interesting to see if he can repeat that kind of offensive success with much better talent against better defenses. I sure hope he can because I badly want to see this program turn around and start winning again.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HawgWyld

Quote from: steveaustin69 on December 06, 2017, 03:17:43 pm
It's fine to have questions/concerns about a hire. The majority of negative posters refuse to see any positives and are incessant in their (normally baseless) rants.

At the end of the day, none of us know how it's gonna play out. 

Like OP said, better to let them stew in their own misery.

None of us do know how this is going to play out. That's precisely why picking a head coach is so tough.

Meanwhile, Morris will convert the fans who are mad at him by winning some blasted games. Given that Bret Bielema was once touted as a "homerun hire," is it any wonder some fans are skeptical?

As for me, I'm hoping for the best with this hire. We can't do worse than Bielema, and Morris may turn out to be a lot better than some people expect.

hawgfan4life

I had another coach I was enamored with and wanted more, but I can't honestly say I know he would have been better in the long run.  I support the program and the coach.  Those who want to publicize their displeasure are in most cases doing so on NOTHING but their uneducated opinion.  Those who say they KNEW BB would fail or was a bad hire are ignorant and guessed correct.  BB was a homerun hire by all indicators.  He came very close to pulling it off.  Things happened, started turning, and he failed to get it fixed, but he definitely had the program moving in the right direction in many areas in a reasonable amount of time the first few years.  There is a razor thin line between success and failure in the SEC and a lot of it comes down to luck.  Hopefully CM is good and lucky.  Anybody that claims they KNOW he is a bad hire should go buy lottery tickets since they KNOW how to read the future.  Put their money where their mouth is because they truly know about as much about either at this point.  I CHOOSE to be positive and supportive and I WANT the mods to clean up the idiotic negative posts.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 06, 2017, 03:16:33 pm
It is worth it to me. I want to have an opinion. Same reason people call into the radio stations. Do you just want a forum where everyone agrees with you?

You say our opinion hurts the program. I doubt that.

I say the hire hurt the program. You doubt that.

The forum will settle down as guys like me calm down.

But this is one of the more unpopular hires in recent history imo. (not counting John L Smith of course)

I think he will have a very short leash but I hope to God he wins and everyone roasts me for years.

I will cheer for this coach regardless.

Well, it's not my forum.

If it were, I would want it to be one that benefits  our programs.

ronmahony

Good post as usual. I just don't understand all the bitching. I for one am just glad we didn't Gus. I really didn't have a preference other than that. I don't know what these guys want, there aren't a whole lot of big name coaches out there, knocking and begging to get in. I really wanted a young firebreather that would come in, recruit like crazy, and have an exciting offense.

I really didn't know who Morris was but the more I listen and read, sounds like we got what I was hoping for. I guess people see his record and that's it, not looking any more. Did you listen to the post someone put on here last night,  the call in from an SMU allum? How Morris and his assistants went to every 5 and 6-A school and visited with them? Man that fired me up right there. Shoot watch the first two series of SMU against TCU that ought to be enough to get your blood flowing. Time will tell but I for one am really looking forward to next year.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

HawgWyld

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 06, 2017, 03:29:37 pmBB was a homerun hire by all indicators...

More proof that hiring a solid coach is hard. Bielema looked great on paper and then simply failed to produce results.

Albert Einswine

I choose to be optimistic about this hire. Why would I choose to be miserable? Why would anyone?

I'm just ecstatic that we didn't get saddled with the Gus cult!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

wachhog

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 06, 2017, 02:49:33 pm
I'm a fan but not a UA group thought hogville lemming. Great thread.
The funny thing is: HOGVILLE was "made" by the Nutt controversy. How quickly we forget that "Caveat Emptor"  was the motto. Had everyone been on the same page back then and willing to blindly buy what the UA was selling, I doubt there would be a Hogville today. As Darrel Royal said and I paraphrase "you'd do well to dance with that what brung ya.".

Mike Irwin

Arkansas has been looking for the answer since 1992. Two coaches, Houston Nutt (43-39) and Bobby Petrino (17-15) managed barely to stay above water in SEC play. The Hogs overall conference record in 26 seasons is 91-115-2.

This guy may be the answer but he's walking to the biggest challenge he's ever dealt with. Don't tell me how hard it is to win at SMU. SMU is not in the SEC West.

I hope he's the answer. God knows Hog fans have waited long enough.

Svrdhd

I'm tepid. We needed a new offensive philosophy, but I'm extremely concerned about recruiting. Coach Morris didn't move the needle at all while at SMU in recruiting, and it will be even harder to drag kids from Texas north to Fayetteville than across town to SMU.
  The offense will get butts in seats but the DC hire will likely make-or-break Coach Morris.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

HF#1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 06, 2017, 03:48:49 pm
Arkansas has been looking for the answer since 1992. Two coaches, Houston Nutt (43-39) and Bobby Petrino (17-15) managed barely to stay above water in SEC play. The Hogs overall conference record in 26 seasons is 91-115-2.

This guy may be the answer but he's walking to the biggest challenge he's ever dealt with. Don't tell me how hard it is to win at SMU. SMU is not in the SEC West.

I hope he's the answer. God knows Hog fans have waited long enough.

No it's not the SEC West but it is the Vandy of the AAC.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 06, 2017, 03:12:58 pm
Well, when Lanny puts my signature back and a mod is removing it without telling me what I did wrong or without notifying me in anyway that puts me in a weird spot.

I can't say someone is breaking the rules without breaking the rules myself.

I don't know why, but sometimes the signature line doesn't appear.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 06, 2017, 03:29:37 pm
BB was a homerun hire by all indicators. 

Bielema was the gift horse that should have had his proverbial dental check before Long signed him up.  A successful and to all appearances stable B1G coach doesn't not suddenly decide to jump to a notoriously shaky mid level SEC program playing a brutal schedule for the challenge of it.  Long wanted the splash hire and he was willing to forego asking why he was so lucky.

This situation is easier to diagnose:  The PTB want to rebuild the recruiting connection to Texas high schools and they are willing to take a very modestly successful coach with some name connections in hopes that even if Morris get's eaten alive by the SEC the recruiting connections in Texas will outlast the coach.

I expect the tone of player recruitment will match the high pressure aluminum siding saleman approach he's using on the fans at the moment.  It'll all work fine till the reality of the games start to hit home in September when those jacked up expectations run up against reality.

Saw it all in 1998 where a favorable schedule kept it all propped up till late in the season.  Problem is 2018 is not an easy schedule at the beginning or the end.

The OTR

The reaction from Razorback fans is beginning to match the positive reaction from professionals in the industry. Understanding that many people find reading more than a page of text burdensome, those who do care enough to read and comprehend come away with a much deeper understanding than "14-22." Context matters.

Now, will there still be Razorback fans unhappy? Of course, there will be. Here is my advice. Ignore those people. They have nothing worth saying that you need to concern yourself with. Now, they are going to come up with cute names. They'll call themselves "darksiders," and you a "sunshine pumper." Pay them no mind. It's all they have. Let them stew in there own misery, proclaiming how they are "done" with Razorback football. Like I (or you) should give a damn what they are "done" with.

You'll know them when you see them. They'll be in this very thread shortly, spouting all manner of nonsense. Laugh at them, shake your head, and go on about your business of welcoming our new coach and being excited about the days ahead.

I agree (for once) with Arkansas Traveler.

Doesn't mean I didn't smite him just be spiteful but I agree with the Traveler. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Dannyluvssonic on December 06, 2017, 02:32:28 pm
Yes because anybody who questions this hire is not worthy to post here.

You lost credibility with Dabo Swinney....  LOL @ you.!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on December 06, 2017, 04:04:12 pm
I don't know why, but sometimes the signature line doesn't appear.

Sig line appears in the first post on each page, and disappears for every post on that page thereafter.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

searkhogfan

The reaction from Razorback fans is beginning to match the positive reaction from professionals in the industry. Understanding that many people find reading more than a page of text burdensome, those who do care enough to read and comprehend come away with a much deeper understanding than “14-22.” Context matters.

Now, will there still be Razorback fans unhappy? Of course, there will be. Here is my advice. Ignore those people. They have nothing worth saying that you need to concern yourself with. Now, they are going to come up with cute names. They’ll call themselves “darksiders,” and you a “sunshine pumper.” Pay them no mind. It’s all they have. Let them stew in there own misery, proclaiming how they are “done” with Razorback football. Like I (or you) should give a damn what they are “done” with.

You’ll know them when you see them. They’ll be in this very thread shortly, spouting all manner of nonsense. Laugh at them, shake your head, and go on about your business of welcoming our new coach and being excited about the days ahead.

+1  wish it could be more.  And thanks for the tidbits of info you tried to provide us with during the AD & Coaching search.  Woo Pig

The real Hogules

Quote from: OtterHog™ on December 06, 2017, 02:35:03 pm
You're free to post wherever you want.

Just stop pretending to be a fan of the football program.

Yes, most definitely, because if you disagree with a decision made by the higher ups you are without a doubt not a fan of this program!
Well said, brother!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

cityhog

Oklahawg

Quote from: OtterHog™ on December 06, 2017, 02:42:35 pm
Nothing wrong with that. "Wait and see" is a mature response, rather than the rampant "s*&# on everything like a pigeon" emotional response all over this site today.

Exactly. Sorry me are hellbent in perpetuating a false narrative about Morris and his resume. Working it so hard, in fact, that they can't notice the good things happening even as we speak. So to speak
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

searkhogfan

Quote from: BR on December 06, 2017, 03:23:14 pm
“I am incredibly happy for Chad Morris and his wife Paula,” Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said via a release from Arkansas. “It has been fun to see someone who coaches here blossom in his career. He did a phenomenal job in his four years at Clemson and it has been exciting to see what he has done at SMU. I believe he will be a great fit at Arkansas and I am excited to see what he will do with that program.”

Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables, who was also considered a candidate for the Arkansas job, offered his congratulations to his former co-worker as well. The two served together as coordinators under Swinney from 2012-14.

“Chad Morris is an outside-the-box thinker and an incredible football coach,” Venables told Arkansas.

Former Clemson quarterback and Houston Texans star Deshaun Watson was recruited to the Tigers by Morris. He also gave his thoughts to Arkansas upon word of the Razorbacks hire.

“He was the first one to offer me,” Watson said via Arkansas release. “The relationship was bigger than football and getting me on campus. Chad Morris has had a huge impact on my life.”

Great Post.  But there's some on here that will say, "What do they know","They just want Arkansas to suck", "They're laughing at us under their Breath". 

EastexHawg

Quote from: OtterHog™ on December 06, 2017, 02:35:03 pm
You're free to post wherever you want.

Just stop pretending to be a fan of the football program.

A lot of the people who are pimping this hire did the same when Bielema was brought in.  A lot of them, maybe most of them, later decided that he was terrible and needed to be fired.

In doing so did they change from great fans to not being fans at all...or is it just that they get to decide when it is okay to be disgusted?

Oklahawg

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 06, 2017, 03:46:23 pm
I choose to be optimistic about this hire. Why would I choose to be miserable? Why would anyone?

I'm just ecstatic that we didn't get saddled with the Gus cult!

Man, truer words are not to be found.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Mjs84

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 06, 2017, 03:16:33 pm
It is worth it to me. I want to have an opinion. Same reason people call into the radio stations. Do you just want a forum where everyone agrees with you?

You say our opinion hurts the program. I doubt that.

I say the hire hurt the program. You doubt that.

The forum will settle down as guys like me calm down.

But this is one of the more unpopular hires in recent history imo. (not counting John L Smith of course)

I think he will have a very short leash but I hope to God he wins and everyone roasts me for years.

I will cheer for this coach regardless.

I think he's a great hire, but it's guys like you that keep bringing me back for more laughs.  You are more than entitled to an opinion and I would hate this place if everyone agreed all the time.  Unless of course, we have one hell of a season, then the belly aching would be even more confusing, and perhaps more comical.

rude1

There are plenty of reasons for valid concerns with this hire. Now for some it is obvious that it is pettiness because "their hire" wasn't the one selected. Those who have did their homework and came back still unimpressed I can understand. Those who haven't bothered to look should shut up and go do some research.

As one of the naysayers to the Bert hire, I know how it is when you are lumped in as a troll simply because you don't want to buy into the positive popular opinion. With this hire I don't see huge red flags at least, not a home run hire by any stretch of the imagination but maybe a slide into second just beating the throw, type of hire, it has a chance to make it home. I am recharged at least about the program and ready to see how the new direction looks.

OkieBack

Quote from: rude1 on December 06, 2017, 04:42:41 pm
There are plenty of reasons for valid concerns with this hire. Now for some it is obvious that it is pettiness because "their hire" wasn't the one selected. Those who have did their homework and came back still unimpressed I can understand. Those who haven't bothered to look should shut up and go do some research.

As one of the naysayers to the Bert hire, I know how it is when you are lumped in as a troll simply because you don't want to buy into the positive popular opinion. With this hire I don't see huge red flags at least, not a home run hire by any stretch of the imagination but maybe a slide into second just beating the throw, type of hire, it has a chance to make it home. I am recharged at least about the program and ready to see how the new direction looks.

Thank you.  Well said and tactful.

Rayzback

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on December 06, 2017, 02:41:41 pm
More of a "wait and see" mode for me, STAFF, Recruiting and then of course the actual play calling next year.

Same... got plenty to read and watch until next year now.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

RebHog

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on December 06, 2017, 03:10:42 pm
Here is something I don't get.

We all claim to be Razorback fans.

As of today, Chad Morris is the face of Razorback football for the foreseeable future. Not me, not you, not our players. CM. Nothing you say or do will change that. Nothing.

So what is it you hope to accomplish by tearing at what you claim to love?

Is the ability to type words on a message board worth that much to you?

I don't get it.

I don't get why some think not liking this hire and venting about it shows they aren't a razorback fan. We have been through a frustrating period where we got a shot of adrenaline in Bobby Petrino only to crash and burn with a 5 year hangover that was Bret Bielema. Someone that thinks this hire will continue that trend shows me they are a real fan by showing emotional frustration just as the people who believe in the hire and are pumped about it. I am on the fence about this guy I like the up tempo offense and national consensus that it is a good hire but I'm still not liking the SMU record. The excuse that he inherited a dumpster fire is the same crap we heard around here for the last 5 years. The recruiting numbers don't really show much improvement over years past. SMU has recruiting pitfalls on the smaller stage well guess what Arkansas has recruiting pitfalls on the big stage as well. The bottom line at this point it's merely opinions on if this guy will be a success here or failure. If Morris comes in here and wins I have no doubt most of the negative posters on the hire will get behind him.

jrhardy88

Hogs fan 1981,you can have an opinion,everyone has an opinion.But not everything is a matter of opinion,some things are a matter of facts and intelligence.Not all opinions are equal.
Standing on the shoulders of giants.

jbigs77

I got one thing to say. He better win. Or he will be gone quickly. Risky hire.

elksnort

Quote from: Svrdhd on December 06, 2017, 03:49:11 pm
I'm tepid. We needed a new offensive philosophy, but I'm extremely concerned about recruiting. Coach Morris didn't move the needle at all while at SMU in recruiting, and it will be even harder to drag kids from Texas north to Fayetteville than across town to SMU.
  The offense will get butts in seats but the DC hire will likely make-or-break Coach Morris.
I disagree. SMU has academic standards that make it more difficult to recruit there. And frankly since the death penalty, they never been much of a team or program. University of Arkansas still a great place and no doubt we'll recruit better than SMU

Paul

Quote from: HF#1 on December 06, 2017, 03:49:56 pm
No it's not the SEC West but it is the Vandy of the AAC.
let's not get carried away.  According to US News & World Report:  Vandy ranked #14, SMU # 61

WilsonHog

Quote from: aussiehawg on December 06, 2017, 05:27:52 pm
Weren't you waffling back and forth on Bielema on what seemed like a week-to-week basis this year? That deep understanding.

In Year 5, yes. On Day 0, no.

wachhog

That chopper video won me over. Don't know if he can coach a lick, but this will definitely be a positive change.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on December 06, 2017, 03:10:42 pm
Here is something I don't get.

We all claim to be Razorback fans.

As of today, Chad Morris is the face of Razorback football for the foreseeable future. Not me, not you, not our players. CM. Nothing you say or do will change that. Nothing.

So what is it you hope to accomplish by tearing at what you claim to love?

Is the ability to type words on a message board worth that much to you?

I don't get it.

I agree.  I was disappointed upon the news that I didn't get my 1st choice, my 2nd choice not even my 3rd.  However I dug in a little more into his philosophy, program, and other attributes that were much more than just his win-loss record.  NOT the bs that we have been hearing for the last five years where we were force fed the importance of GPA, succession rates, and "doing it the right way" to hide the true failures of the program. We want to recruit Texas, he gives us that more so than any of the other coaches we looked at.  His style of offense is more Petrino like, an exciting style of play that high school players want to play now.  He recruited Deshaun Watson to Clemson when he was OC there.  The news today of TX recruits re-opening their evaluation of AR in light of Morris' hire.  The acknowledgement that Defense is important here is evident to me with the idea floated out that he would even ask Brent Venables to come here.  BV is not coming here but the idea is acknowledgement all the same. 

Most importantly though is what Wilson states above that there is nothing that you can do to change this decision.  It only makes our fanbase look worse by decrying this hire on social media.  Even if we only sound like a fraction of the TN fans, I want nothing to do with that.  So sure you have a right to vent.  Vent it every day here on Hogville in your thread.  I'm not saying blindly cheer him on, but rather take a more wait and see attitude.  Because that's really all you can do: wait and see. 

root_hawg

So with all these "in-roads" into Texas the highest rated HS recruit, he ever brought to SMU was the number 540th player in the country.  Explain to me again why I should be excited?

Paul

Quote from: root_hawg on December 06, 2017, 05:50:54 pm
So with all these "in-roads" into Texas the highest rated HS recruit, he ever brought to SMU was the number 540th player in the country.  Explain to me again why I should be excited?
inexpicable

snoblind

Quote from: Dannyluvssonic on December 06, 2017, 02:36:47 pm
So if you question anything, you are not a fan?  Got it.  Thanks.

You aren't questioning.  You are running from thread to thread throwing a temper tantrum like a 2 year old.

hotdog hog

We got a coach that is excited about the challenge ahead of him and is already working hard. I put some sugar in the Gus Bus I was driving and ran it off a cliff. So what, he's not as sexy as Lane Train, but he would have flamed out like he always does. From the sounds of Norvells closet, we did well to pass on him too. I've got to believe in my heart had we been sitting in the room when Chad Morris interviewed, we would all have come to the same conclusion. I support our new coach and excited for next season

26.2Hog

Quote from: ricepig on December 06, 2017, 04:26:54 pm
I ain't got no extra mind to pay them.....

lol, as someone that only has about 4 or 5 brain cells left, I can relate to that.

Knot2brite

I don't like the hire and I don't think it will work....at this point. I don't think he will recruit well enough to run his offense here and I don't think he focus' enough on defense...from the little sample we have of him being a head coach. I am going to watch the Hogs and hope they do well but I am not going to be optimistic that they will.....unless he proves he can win. So I guess I am going into this coaching hire very pessimistic instead of optimistic like I have before. I guess I am jaded by all the BS associated with Hog football. I am not quitting on the program...I am just apathetic....
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on December 06, 2017, 02:32:03 pm
If it is you stop taking my signature.

Had to bother Lanny twice now to get it back.

Opinions are allowed.

Not if you didn't like beliema...
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Knot2brite on December 06, 2017, 06:08:34 pm
I don't like the hire and I don't think it will work....at this point. I don't think he will recruit well enough to run his offense here and I don't think he focus' enough on defense...from the little sample we have of him being a head coach. I am going to watch the Hogs and hope they do well but I am not going to be optimistic that they will.....unless he proves he can win. So I guess I am going into this coaching hire very pessimistic instead of optimistic like I have before. I guess I am jaded by all the BS associated with Hog football. I am not quitting on the program...I am just apathetic....

This is modern football now.  How can it not excite you more than the BB hire?  BB was trying to row upstream and was destined to fail...
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

SooieGeneris

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 06, 2017, 02:38:20 pm
I knew Petrino would win.  I knew Bielema would fail.  Morris...I have no clue.  There are signs that point in all different directions.  Since we have no other choice now, it's foolish not to go with the positive signs and hope for the best.  I do now this, the Morris era will live and die based on how well or how poorly he fills out his staff.  He needs a stud DC, even if not Venables, and at least a couple of absolute, take no prisoner head hunters for recruiting. 

Based upon what I see talent wise on this hill, I think this offensive line will look very, very different in the spread...far more competent. I think we were asking spread linemen to be pro-style linemen and it was the round peg/square hole dilemma.  I base this in part on FOTH's various comments. Both Hammonds and Chase will be very, very dangerous with larger splits and more running room.  Receivers were inconsistent, but Jones, Nance and the rest will be better next year.  We'll have to see whether or how he adjusts to the QB's on campus, but there is talent there to work with and Conner looks great.  On defense...well...let's pray a new coach and new scheme at least gets us to average.  There are several talented pieces but we need to recruit raw speed for the next two years to get to better than average.

Agreed. That and having a QB who doesn't hold the ball too long as both AA and CK often did.

I don't think it was totally their fault, the inconsistency of the WRs you mentioned was part of the problem.

Most of the season, they were getting no or not enough separation. IMO, Jones and Martin will look very different in 2018. Stewart made a lot of improvement from Sept. to Black Friday, and Jared C. announced his return.

It's possible that a lot of the problems in the secondary were due to no pass rush. Curl got a trial by fire and Calloway is the more talented of the two. Those two will be much better and Pulley will be back.

IMO, Pulley is the best CB we've had in several years, Montaric Brown is very talented, we need to get Bishop, his former teammate on board.

But somehow, someway, we have to either get a blitz happy DC or find some pass rushers for the defense to make much of a leap.

I do think facing a spread offense every day in practice will help us defend it as it was so foreign to BB's smashmouth style.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Pigasaurus

Quote from: AP85 on December 06, 2017, 02:46:03 pm
I'm just fascinated.

Bitching for years about coach B.

Now. We have that high octane offense with Texas recruiting ties and people are still bitching????
They be b******.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

zerose

I know most of you don't care, but the fact he has a math and stat degree tells me all I need to know. This dude isn't lacking upstairs. I honestly see him as smarter than Bobby, but with a personality. Mark my words, this guy will be the best coach we've ever had. I see him as a player's coach, but with intensity. He is a better offensive schemer than CBP. And... lets not forget the guy had a great great record in HS football. This may not seem significant to most of you, but it is HARD to have sustained success at the HS level. I feel one of his best attributes is that coaches who have played against admire him, and respect him. This will pay big divends in recruiting. At Clemson he had 4 stars at skills positions and 3 star lineman, and he did just fine. For all of you who are not behind him and supporting him, get out of the way. The Morris chorus is hitting all of the notes.
Peering inside the magic crystal 8-ball in the dark confines of a spider hole.