Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Auburn Pony Up $7.5 Million to Keep Gus?

Started by moses_007, December 03, 2017, 02:50:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Man, if nothing else, we've definitely put the screws to AU.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

moses_007

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 03, 2017, 02:51:35 pm
We sure have.  I don't see AU paying him that much to keep him. 

Arkansas Fan

Gus ain't worth it. If anything, AU is punking us by making us spend that much on him while they'll hire an upgrade easily.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: moses_007 on December 03, 2017, 02:52:53 pm

We're dumb if we do.

Hawginj

moses_007

Quote from: Hawginj on December 03, 2017, 02:54:52 pm
then why do we?
Cause the GOBN and BOT want him, and they are willing to pay crazy money to reel him in.

Ragnar Hogbrok

If we hire Gus "Dream Job" Malzahn for $7.5 million per year, we'd better be in the SEC championship game by year three.

$7.5 million per year for "Dream Job" Gus?  Really?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Cale

Originally, I was pro Gus in the sense of I wanted to perform the experiment that so many have wondered what if. My real choice was Venables, but also recognize our stance is usually to hire coaches who have experience being a HC already. If the numbers are right on the salary rumor, I'm no longer pro Gus at all. I'd rather take a different chance on any of the other candidates(Norvell, Kiffin, Venables) and get one hell of a staff where money is no object. If we bring Gus at 7M, then get a top notch staff(which we've apparently committed to regardless and I'm okay with that) we could be in for Gus around the 10M range. I'm not okay with that when there are 3 other viable options that including a staff would run us 5-6M tops
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

PigInTheHole

Quote from: The Chief on December 03, 2017, 02:58:07 pm

we're not going to pay $7.5 million to send Gus to Texas

12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

alohawg

Arkansas will officially become the biggest joke in history if they hire Gus for 7mil a year.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

TX HOG

Cale

Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

WPSALLDAY

The Boar War

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on December 03, 2017, 02:53:48 pm
Gus ain't worth it. If anything, AU is punking us by making us spend that much on him while they'll hire an upgrade easily.

You give Auburn way too much credit.

huntindoc

Hog Waller

Please Sweet Baby Jesus, convince Auburn to pay him more, make him associate AD...whatever he wants.

Drop the Mike

King Kong

Hogaliciousness

He is not worth anything near 7.5mil.  Auburn is not going to pay that.  Period.  We are being played.
I am ready for some football!

Tyro3

So let me get this straight, we are offering 50mil and CBB's buyout is about 12mil, and longs is another few mil, where is all this money coming from?

factchecker

Quote from: Tyro3 on December 03, 2017, 03:15:13 pm
So let me get this straight, we are offering 50mil and CBB's buyout is about 12mil, and longs is another few mil, where is all this money coming from?

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

redeye

oldhog63

Quote from: alohawg on December 03, 2017, 03:07:27 pm
Arkansas will officially become the biggest joke in history if they hire Gus for 7mil a year.
Why do you say that? How is paying top dollar for a successful/proven coach any different than spending millions and millions of dollars to upgrade and improve facilities to keep up with other SEC schools?

Gus was not at the top of my wish list, but I will support the new coach no matter who it is.

N HOG

factchecker

Quote from: Tyro3 on December 03, 2017, 03:18:56 pm
I forgot to include all the Renovation dollars.

renovation, buyouts, and new coach salary (salaries for assistants) will be paid over many years.

we don't have to throw down 50-300 million right now.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: N HOG on December 03, 2017, 03:19:41 pm
Are you guys personally paying it?

No, but the guys who will be paying to hire the next guy are.  They'll be way too heavily invested to get rid of Dream Job if he fails to produce.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

rljjr

Quote from: redeye on December 03, 2017, 03:18:27 pm
Paying Malzahn a million per win is insane.

Ha! Exactly right. Sad thing is that is a better ROI than we have been getting.

Hogaliciousness

Quote from: N HOG on December 03, 2017, 03:19:41 pm
Are you guys personally paying it?

Are you?  Bad deal is a bad deal.  He isn't worth anything over 5mil.  Not a penny.
I am ready for some football!

Redhogs

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 03, 2017, 02:51:35 pm
Only if they keep him....otherwise, jokes on us.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

BrokerHawg

Matt Burks

Quote from: The Chief on December 03, 2017, 02:58:07 pm
If we hire Gus "Dream Job" Malzahn for $7.5 million per year, we'd better be in the SEC championship game by year three.

Like when he said Texas was his dream job or when he said Auburn was his dream job?

Jackson_64

Quote from: moses_007 on December 03, 2017, 02:52:53 pm
Moses, I don't think they will either. Fickle, fickle fans and administration in Auburn.
Lane Kiffin.

And it is way closer to happening then you think.

Way closer.

PRJ

BrokerHawg

AU don't have to pony up
They go get whomever they want anytime.
They are laughing their arse at us fools.

"A fool and their money are soon departed"

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Matt Burks on December 03, 2017, 03:28:17 pm
Like when he said Texas was his dream job or when he said Auburn was his dream job?

No, his latest dream job. I wonder what the next dream job will be?  Probably retirement if we're dumb enough to pay him $7.5 million/ year.

alohawg

If they're throwing money away, might as well throw it Kiffin's way.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

jst01

People get pissed when the powers aren't committed to winning. Now when the powers committ to bringing in an experienced top shelf staff, people gripe. The last 25 years in the Sec hasn't worked doing what AR has been doing, so why not try to spend whatever they have to and hope that this is the beginning of something that may work?

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: jst01 on December 03, 2017, 03:33:44 pm
People get pissed when the powers aren't committed to winning. Now when the powers committ to bringing in an experienced top shelf staff, people gripe. The last 25 years in the Sec hasn't worked doing what AR has been doing, so why not try to spend whatever they have to and hope that this is the beginning of something that may work?

I would hope they would throw that kind of scratch at a much better coach than Dream Job.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jst01

Is anyone here helping pay the salary?? Just enjoy the ride on someone else's dime!

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: jst01 on December 03, 2017, 03:36:50 pm
Is anyone here helping pay the salary?? Just enjoy the ride on someone else's dime!

Quote from: The Chief on December 03, 2017, 03:21:26 pm
No, but the guys who will be paying to hire the next guy are.  They'll be way too heavily invested to get rid of Dream Job if he fails to produce.

Swinefeld

Even if he stays at Auburn for 7 per, he better win.  If that thing goes 8-4 next season after what he pulled, going to be entertaining.  Got to give it to the BOT, they whipped out the check book.  Now just get Kiffin at 4 per and give him 3.5-4 million to assemble a monster staff

jst01

Quote from: The Chief on December 03, 2017, 03:21:26 pm

We don't have a clue of their financial situation or their priorities with their money. In 5 years their trust accounts may make this money back in interest for all we know

NashvilleHog

All I know is if we do hire him for this stupid amount of money, I feel sorry for the next person from the Walton College calling me up asking for money. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

lilredheadedlady

Quote from: RazorPiggie on December 03, 2017, 02:54:39 pm
We're dumb if we do.

This. If we give Malzahn that kind of money, I'll puke.  Good grief!
I love our Arkansas Razorback players! WPS!