Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss

Started by ipigsooie, December 01, 2017, 09:16:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ipigsooie

2 year bowl ban. Loss of scholarships. Show cause for all coaches.

factchecker

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40011017-4

QuoteThe NCAA banned Ole Miss' football team from playing in the postseason again next season, and the Rebels also received additional scholarship deductions in the ruling the university received from the NCAA committee on infractions on Friday, sources told ESPN. Ole Miss had self-imposed a postseason ban for 2017 and scholarship losses in May. Former Rebels coach Hugh Freeze, who resigned for off-field issues in July, also received a suspension and show cause from the NCAA, although the length of the suspension and specifics of the show cause weren't immediately known.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

LRHawg

December 01, 2017, 09:30:19 am #4 Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:05:58 am by LRHawg
Would you trade all of this for a national championship? cause without us breaking their hearts in 2015, it very well could have happened. Also, I believe all underclassmen will be free to transfer without penalty. That will be a knockout.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: LRHawg on December 01, 2017, 09:30:19 am
Would you trade all of this for a national championship? cause without us breaking their hearts in 2015, it very well could have happened. Also, I belive all underclassmen will be free to transfer without penalty. That will be a knockout.
That's the only real punishment they're getting
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

sowmonella

Quote from: ipigsooie on December 01, 2017, 09:16:47 am
2 year bowl ban. Loss of scholarships. Show cause for all coaches.

Does that include Luke?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ipigsooie

Quote from: sowmonella on December 01, 2017, 10:09:51 am
Does that include Luke?

Luke wasn't named. He is fine. Also freeze only received a 1 year show cause and 2 game suspension from being a head coach. He is free to and  could become a coordinator this year.

hobhog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 01, 2017, 09:50:17 am
That's the only real punishment they're getting

Insane. It will take them years to recover from recruiting restrictions. Hammer has hit nail.

JethroB.

Quote from: ipigsooie on December 01, 2017, 10:11:46 am
Luke wasn't named. He is fine. Also freeze only received a 1 year show cause and 2 game suspension from being a head coach. He is free to and  could become a coordinator this year.

Does it say how long the show cause will be for the other coaches? Does that mean they can't coach while it is in effect?

ThisTeetsTaken

Would you trade all of this for a national championship? cause without us breaking their hearts in 2015, it very well could have happened. Also, I believe all underclassmen will be free to transfer without penalty. That will be a knockout.
The success they had probably outweighs the punishment in most Ole Miss fans' eyes.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

NaturalStateReb

Could have been worse, honestly.  Looks like Freeze won't actually have to wait much, but other named folks, like Barney Farrar and Chris Vaughn, got show causes.

The additional 13 scholarships over a period of years were about what most people expected. 

The 2nd year bowl ban hurts, because next year's seniors could leave without penalty.  At least it's finally over. 

Interesting tidbit--Leo Lewis, in his testimony at the Committee on Infractions, stated that Mississippi State paid him $10,000 the day before National Signing Day to come to State.  The payment was funneled through a defensive backs coach at Copiah-Lincoln Community College where Lewis played (if you've seen Last Chance U, you may have seen Co-Lin as one of East Miss' opponents).  State has 12 Co-Lin players on their roster, included the son of the defensive backs coach. 

The two year bowl ban is the same that Penn State received for 54 counts of child molestation, because that's totally the same.  The NCAA, man.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Only the seniors.  I'm not exactly sure how that works, but that's according to what the NCAA confirmed with ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21629060/ole-miss-rebels-get-two-year-bowl-ban-scholarship-reductions-ncaa
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Inhogswetrust

Unbelievable Freeze didn't get a show cause and only got a one year banishment. No wonder the NCAA is considered a paper tiger by some.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 01, 2017, 11:04:51 am
Unbelievable Freeze didn't get a show cause and only got a one year banishment. No wonder the NCAA is considered a paper tiger by some.

The case had some credibility issues, and even the possibility of collusion between the NCAA Enforcement Staff and State, so I'm not totally shocked.

There were some long show causes in there, though--Saunders got 8 years, Farrar 5 years, Chris Kiffin 2 Years, Vaughn 2 years I think

Just got an email from the Chancellor's office that Ole Miss is going to appeal the 2nd year bowl ban.  Otherwise, the COI pretty much accepted the self-imposed penalties.

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 01, 2017, 11:01:57 am
Only the seniors.  I'm not exactly sure how that works, but that's according to what the NCAA confirmed with ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21629060/ole-miss-rebels-get-two-year-bowl-ban-scholarship-reductions-ncaa
The article I read said that all players are free to leave without sitting out. Is that not correct?

Loss of 24 scholarships in 4 years is real tough. They will have no depth.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Karma on December 01, 2017, 11:14:04 am
The article I read said that all players are free to leave without sitting out. Is that not correct?

Loss of 24 scholarships in 4 years is real tough. They will have no depth.

The 13 isn't on top of the 11 the institution already imposed, it's just 2 more.  So, we'll be down about 6 schollies each year. 

According to the ESPN story, only the seniors can transfer immediately.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 01, 2017, 11:13:56 am
The case had some credibility issues, and even the possibility of collusion between the NCAA Enforcement Staff and State, so I'm not totally shocked.

There were some long show causes in there, though--Saunders got 8 years, Farrar 5 years, Chris Kiffin 2 Years, Vaughn 2 years I think

Just got an email from the Chancellor's office that Ole Miss is going to appeal the 2nd year bowl ban.  Otherwise, the COI pretty much accepted the self-imposed penalties.

Leave it to a rebel to say credibility issues and collusion with State. I'm not surprised. EVERY school that gets busted by the NCAA comes out with excuses........................there is no excuse. Better to apologize, show steps taken to not let it happen again (which is not even what firing Freeze was about) take your medicine and move on.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

onebadrubi

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 01, 2017, 10:55:00 am
Could have been worse, honestly.  Looks like Freeze won't actually have to wait much, but other named folks, like Barney Farrar and Chris Vaughn, got show causes.

The additional 13 scholarships over a period of years were about what most people expected. 

The 2nd year bowl ban hurts, because next year's seniors could leave without penalty.  At least it's finally over. 

Interesting tidbit--Leo Lewis, in his testimony at the Committee on Infractions, stated that Mississippi State paid him $10,000 the day before National Signing Day to come to State.  The payment was funneled through a defensive backs coach at Copiah-Lincoln Community College where Lewis played (if you've seen Last Chance U, you may have seen Co-Lin as one of East Miss' opponents).  State has 12 Co-Lin players on their roster, included the son of the defensive backs coach. 

The two year bowl ban is the same that Penn State received for 54 counts of child molestation, because that's totally the same.  The NCAA, man.

No suprise there that they outbid someone and have a system in place to pay players, after all they were mad they weren't the high bidders for the services of Cam newton. And now you have Mullen at Florida who just has better channels for money to flow to recruits and more of it.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 01, 2017, 11:36:24 am
Leave it to a rebel to say credibility issues and collusion with State. I'm not surprised. EVERY school that gets busted by the NCAA comes out with excuses........................there is no excuse. Better to apologize, show steps taken to not let it happen again (which is not even what firing Freeze was about) take your medicine and move on.

I've bashed Reb many times on here for his excuses to attempts to down play what is going on, but that post wasn't really an excuse.  He's right, we've known MS st was dirty and there is testimony now to back it up and alluding to how they are doing it through a Junior college in teh state that puts out some nice D 1 talent. 

trippigs

And they do not get a share of the SEC bowl money this or next year.....lots of cash I figure.

LRHawg

Between their BBall program's ties to Adidas and their football team paying players, Miss Stake should also be squarely behind the crosshairs of the NCAA as well.

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 01, 2017, 11:19:01 am
The 13 isn't on top of the 11 the institution already imposed, it's just 2 more.  So, we'll be down about 6 schollies each year. 

According to the ESPN story, only the seniors can transfer immediately.
Ok, that is a big difference.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 01, 2017, 11:36:24 am

We're doing that, but it's not just spin.

The NCAA enforcement staff said in their documentation that the first that they were going to interview Leo Lewis was August, 2016.  Lewis, in his testimony, said that he knew that he was going to be interviewed in April, 2016, because Dan Mullen told him that and that Mullen prepped his testimony (why Mullen didn't have someone else do this, I'll never know--why get involved like that?).  The claim even surprised the COI, considering the enforcement staff's filings.  The conclusion drawn was that State knew about Lewis' interview well in advance, or Lewis' in-person testimony wasn't credible.

However you feel about Ole Miss, it's a bad sign and a bad look for the NCAA.  Having the NCAA pitting conference schools against one another is one way to weaken the power of the conferences while raising their own.  In football, the NCAA has very little leverage, so this is an area where they can make gains. Back in the 90s, the SEC schools were always on probation because they were always turning each other in.  Mike Slive pretty much put an end to that, as well as increasing compliance. 

There's cheating everywhere, and Leo Lewis isn't the only player in the league getting a pay day.  If these programs start nuking each other again, the positions of the conferences in relation to the NCAA will erode, which is in no one's interest outside of Indianapolis. 

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: trippigs on December 01, 2017, 11:51:00 am
And they do not get a share of the SEC bowl money this or next year.....lots of cash I figure.

About $8 million.  Buys a lot of moon pies in Mississippi.

RazorChuck

December 01, 2017, 01:32:34 pm #25 Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:43:45 pm by RazorChuck
Had Ole Missy, not done so much denying, and attempting to hide what was up, it still would have been what it was, they were actually soft on them, should have been more penalties levied against them.

RazorChuck

Yeah right, they cooperated, after they were busted.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RazorChuck on December 01, 2017, 01:34:03 pm
Yeah right, they cooperated, after they were busted.

Yep. They fought it big until Freeze got caught with his Dilly Dilly hanging out.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 01, 2017, 01:28:06 pm
About $8 million.  Buys a lot of moon pies in Mississippi.

Plus next years 8 million share.

ImHogginIt

So how is the scholly thing done ? How many will they have available in 2018, 2019, 2020, ect... ?

Personally I think they should be like an FCS school and have a 65 limit for three or four years