Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tommy Tuberville Comments On Finebaum

Started by Vantage 8 dude, November 17, 2017, 04:56:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Quote from: Jimbob111 on November 17, 2017, 08:53:55 pm
Tubbs has been trotting out this same tired line of crap forever because it's what he believes not because it's true.

He's full of crap about not being able to outcoach other coaches. Does anyone think, by any stretch of the imagination, that Mississippi State has anywhere close to the talent that Alabama has?

No? And yet, MS took them to the end of the fourth quarter. THAT is coaching.

Does anyone think Troy has the talent that LSU has?  No?  THAT is coaching.

A good coach needs to develop what they recruit and recruit the talent to run their system. A good coach needs to be able to hire quality assistants who are good at their coaching position in evaluating, developing, and teaching players.

But his "strong defense" is crap and to be honest, since the design of the forward pass, it has been. A strong defense has to be on point 100% of the time because a single long bomb pass can win the game.

Tubbs is spewing a belief that is not being utilized by the majority of coaches today. Alabama has a strong, very strong, defense. So does Clemson. But they also have good offenses that can score points and more importantly, they have coaches who can develop talent and game plan for that talent. Tubbs is a dinosaur. Let him fossilize. He hasn't been relevant in over a decade.

Dial BR-549 and ask fer Jim Bob. He'll set you straight on how to coach modern football.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on November 17, 2017, 08:49:54 pm
Remember that successful recruiting is not always a matter of stars.  You don't have to have all 4-5 stars as long as you have a coach good at projecting which 3 star players fit your system and have the potential to become major contributors.  Petrino was a poor recruiter, but he happened upon players that fit his system well. Mullen is not out recruiting the hogs but he's an excellent coach who recruits the perfect QB for his system.
Well said.  Recruiting and development are the keys.  Talent is measure not by how many stars they are in High school but how many make NFL rosters and contribute.

Jimbob111

Quote from: TebowHater on November 17, 2017, 05:36:40 pm
I actually thought this is where he was most wrong. If it is true, we are screwed.

Do you really think we are going to out recruit Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida? That is literally impossible for us in Arkansas. Petrino won by absolutely out-coaching people. It is the same way Peterson won at Boise. At Arkansas, we HAVE to have a coach that can take 3 star talent and turn it into 5 star talent by putting them in positions to succeed.

Well, maybe TT is right and Petrino's wins should be negated. I mean, he didn't out recruit ANYBODY except ULM or Wofford.

HDN, as miserable as a person, as manipulative and narcissistic as he was, showed that lower talent can win against superior talent.

TT is job hunting and saying what a lot of old, white men believe. Other than that, he's FOS.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

bphi11ips

Quote from: Jimbob111 on November 17, 2017, 09:56:46 pm
Well, maybe TT is right and Petrino's wins should be negated. I mean, he didn't out recruit ANYBODY except ULM or Wofford.

HDN, as miserable as a person, as manipulative and narcissistic as he was, showed that lower talent can win against superior talent.

TT is job hunting and saying what a lot of old, white men believe. Other than that, he's FOS.

Yep.  Nick Saban, Mark Richt, Steve Spurrier, Joe Paterno, Bill Belichick, Tom Landry ...

Old white guys should leave the coaching to fellers like young Jim Bob ...
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Jimbob111 on November 17, 2017, 09:56:46 pm

Lower talent can beat superior talent...Occasionally.  But not with any consistency.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

SooieGeneris

Quote from: redeye on November 17, 2017, 05:28:29 pm
Funny that he'd say more people need to be involved in the hiring process.  Didn't he refuse to interview for our committee, because he wanted to keep it quiet and wanted to interview with JFB alone?

I seem to remember hearing something along those lines, but that was then and this is now I guess.

Most of what he said makes sense on the surface, but strictly from a coach's POV. From 1992 on, we have often heard that "poor lil' ol' arkinsaw" song and dance, "oh woe is us, we'll NEVER compete in the big bad SEC."

We will not likely ever be able to come anywhere close to 'Bama year in and year out, but when we have had those every several years crop of instate players we have done well.

'95 was a rare year when a lot of things fit together after that embarrassing loss early to SMU for their only win of that season.

'98 we were one freaky play and a Moo U. FG that looked no good from having an undefeated regular season.

'03 was maybe the overall most talented team we have had in years, but Hooten did a terrible job of "coaching." That's the year I started wanting him gone. That team should have been way better than 9-4.

'06. LSU game in LR. The corndogs had not stopped McFadden all day. Got the ball around midfield trailing by 6 with time running out, maybe 2 minutes left, time enough not to panic.

Hooty panicked and called four straight passes, all Casey Dick wounded duck one bouncers to the receivers. Best player on the field didn't get close to touching the ball.

UF SECCG. Had the Gators on the ropes, but a kid who had a scholarship because who he was tried to field a punt inside the 5 yard line, fumbled away our chances, TD Florida, game pretty much over.

Citrus Bowl vs Michigan. Had the Wolverines down going into the last 5-6 minutes, game up 3 TDS late with some skinny guy named Brady playing QB for them.

'07 was one blown lead after another. 'Nuff said.

'10 Mallett spit the bit in the 4th quarter vs 'Bama with 3 INTS, gave the game away.

'11 The "Genius Coach" forgot how to make a "T" with his hands as everyone in the stadium but him could see a fake FG coming with DT DD Jones matched up man to man on a TE. TD Alabama, game pretty much over as Tyler Wilson got earholed about 37 times, some of them before the whistle, some on the way back to the huddle with maybe one flag on the play..

LSU game coming after the gut wrenching death of a player the previous Sunday. If that had happened to a "Marquee" program it would have been played up more than the game itself.

7 times in 26 seasons in the SEC, we have had a chance to win the West, did it 3 times. Long time SEC programs in MS have 1 SECCG appearance between them in that time...

We are clearly not 'Bama who has contended or won the West seemingly forever. We don't have the athletes of LSU. What we do have is an overall winning record vs A&M, MSU, and OM. We were about even with Auburn until Gus had BB to abuse 4 of 5 years.

We have held our own with LSU in spite of their talent advantage and I'm still not sold on Cajun Ed, who CAN be outcoached no matter what TT says.

It takes the right coach, a bigger than average instate class that happens every few years unless a freak like DMac comes along, which isn't often admittedly, and a little easier schedule, on the way in 2018 and for everything to come together.

It won't happen every year no matter who the new AD or coach is, barring an influx of blue chip players into the state way above what we've seen.

However, with a really good coach, there is no reason this program can't finish 2nd in the West every few years until Saban retires and then have a chance to win it.

Saban is well into his 60s and not many coaches will want to follow him, at least until one fails first.

This team has more talent than most believe IMO, it's young and has had a S&C program that emphasizes strength over speed too much.

Talent that is not developed enough and motivated can look a lot worse once things go bad as they did some time ago this season. The New York Giants for instance.

That team didn't go from a playoff team last year to 1-9 because of no talent. They started bad, had a couple of injuries, mainly OBJ, but they were struggling even before then and have a coach who looks like he has no idea what to do or how to stop the bleeding... sound familiar?

We were two plays from being 9-4 last season. If that fake punt in the Mizzou game is sniffed out by even one player, it would have been stuffed. We would have had 1st and goal as it was on a 4th and 9 from inside their own 10 yard line. Game over.

Had Drew Morgan not fumbled out of the end zone vs Va. Tech, the lead would have been 31-7. Game over.

But that and those dumbfounded looks by the HC on the sideline, the spitting incident, the shoplifting incident and the 4-8 record since the Moo U. game last year tells me that BB lost this team somewhere along the way and it's not coming back.

If not for the under-used TJ Hammonds, that record would be 2-8 for the season and 2-10 in the last 12 games. Let that sink in.

I know there have been injuries, but USC had 3 starters in the O Line out for our game and thrashed us. You'll never convince me that was due to better talent.

Coastal Carolina lost their starting QB early and we made the 2nd stringer look like Joe Montana. When a team that had not come close to 38 points in a game all season rings up that number on an SEC team, that is NOT a talent issue.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: East TN HAWG on November 17, 2017, 05:47:33 pm
I agree.  Of course an old coach is saying ADs should be ex coaches.  He makes some good points, but the finances has changed things.  Gotta have a man that can manage money.
But is that necessarily true? I have no idea what the bureaucracy in the athletic administration looks like, but I'm pretty sure there are enough assistant/associate/vice-positions that you could run a successful program with an assistant A.D. in charge of the financial aspects of it.
Having a former coach as A.D. who understands the nuances and dynamics of the personnel aspects seems the better way IMO.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Sow Lancelot

"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

hogmaniak10

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 17, 2017, 05:18:40 pm
And I've said many times, this is why I don't believe UA is a very attractive job to most anyone who has real coaching options...name guys.  Recruiting is too difficult.

So if Nick Saban decided to come coach our team he wouldn't be able to bring in the top talent he is at Alabama? I say Hogwash