Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Way-too-early SEC Projection

Started by Fan701, November 14, 2017, 06:56:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fan701

Based on the few games I've seen so far, I don't think Kentucky is the team to beat in the SEC this year.  My way-too-early guess is that it will come down to Florida, Arkansas, and A&M.  Florida should be the favorite to win the league with Arkansas and A&M having a shot at it.  Unless Kentucky improves drastically by league play, they'll be middle of the pack this year.

BannerMountainMan

Texas A&M
Florida
Arkansas
Kentucky
Alabama
Missouri

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

mizzouman

Based on playing just 2 games?  Let's let the non-con games finish out first.

Fan701

Quote from: mizzouman on November 14, 2017, 08:03:48 am
Based on playing just 2 games?  Let's let the non-con games finish out first.
That's why I called it "way-too-early projections."

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Fan701 on November 14, 2017, 08:10:19 am
I was about to type the same thing...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

mizzouman

Quote from: Fan701 on November 14, 2017, 08:10:19 am
Then what's the point?

Hawg Red

Fan701

Quote from: mizzouman on November 14, 2017, 09:21:17 am
Then what's the point?
My "point," as I thought was clear, was to make some "way-too-early projections" for the amusement of the people who visit here, and see what they might have to say on the subject.  I can tell that you're not amused.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Fan701 on November 14, 2017, 09:52:17 am
My "point," as I thought was clear, was to make some "way-too-early projections" for the amusement of the people who visit here, and see what they might have to say on the subject.
7:00 AM is too early.  Next time, try 7:00 PM.

Atlhogfan1

Agreed.  UK has taken a step back.  Need to find perimeter shooting.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

mizzouman

mizzouman

Quote from: Fan701 on November 14, 2017, 09:52:17 am
My "point," as I thought was clear, was to make some "way-too-early projections" for the amusement of the people who visit here, and see what they might have to say on the subject.  I can tell that you're not amused.
No, I'm am.  Just giving you a little grief.

mizzouman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 14, 2017, 09:59:13 am
Agreed.  UK has taken a step back.  Need to find perimeter shooting.

Years of one and done can take a toll on a program.  I'm serious.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: mizzouman on November 14, 2017, 10:15:01 am
Years of one and done can take a toll on a program.  I'm serious.

They go through cycles too.  Down cycles don't last long with new impact players each year.  I think we have seen something similar with LSU football where they have had so much talent leave early.  You just can't rebound from it in a year in football like UK and Duke can in basketball. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Letsroll1200

Missouri is playing really good without Michael Porter Jr. They are really going to be good when he returns. I didn't think they would be this good but they have added some good pieces to their roster.

snf6278

Unless it all comes together for Kentucky, this could be another 2012-2013 season. I know it's early but they are struggling mightily against some weaker teams.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 14, 2017, 10:21:28 am
They go through cycles too.  Down cycles don't last long with new impact players each year.  I think we have seen something similar with LSU football where they have had so much talent leave early.  You just can't rebound from it in a year in football like UK and Duke can in basketball.

This is absolutely correct.

I am not so sure something else isn't at play also. In the past, the guys he got were goal oriented with their immediate goal being to win championships.

I feel like Cal has been building a perception that going to Kentucky will get you drafted higher than going to other schools and it works. But it also develops a culture where these kids really are making "business decisions" instead of a decision based on college experience.

These kids start their year working out for pro scouts. Everything being sold to these guys points toward the NBA now.

What I see as I watch their team so far is a team full of guys trying show their "skills" off for scouts. They aren't serious about playing defense as a team at all.

I think he is reaping what he has sown.

HF#1

If the Hogs are as good as I and others think they might be, we have as good of a shot at winning the league and the tournament as anyone.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Tony Perkis

A&M
Kentucky
Florida
Arkansas
Mizzou
Bama.

Kentucky will turn it on and I wouldn't be surprised if they win the league.

hawgball40

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 14, 2017, 11:34:59 am
This is absolutely correct.

I am not so sure something else isn't at play also. In the past, the guys he got were goal oriented with their immediate goal being to win championships.

I feel like Cal has been building a perception that going to Kentucky will get you drafted higher than going to other schools and it works. But it also develops a culture where these kids really are making "business decisions" instead of a decision based on college experience.

These kids start their year working out for pro scouts. Everything being sold to these guys points toward the NBA now.

What I see as I watch their team so far is a team full of guys trying show their "skills" off for scouts. They aren't serious about playing defense as a team at all.

I think he is reaping what he has sown.
Music to my ears too. Seeing him whine about how good vermont was and barely beating, them, man that was priceless. dude is a shameless self promoter and he will eventually be exposed.

mizzouman

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 14, 2017, 10:30:11 am
Missouri is playing really good without Michael Porter Jr. They are really going to be good when he returns. I didn't think they would be this good but they have added some good pieces to their roster.
Not sure when he's going to return.  Apparently something serious with his back or leg.  No one really knows for sure.

Anyway, you play with who you have.

AugustaHog

This may be the most wide open the league has been in quite some time.  I wouldn't write UK off just yet.  They have talent and that snakeoil salesman has proven adept at getting those guys to come together over time.  Obviously, 12-13 was a different story but I expect them to compete for the conference.  I think the previous lists of TAMU, Mizzou, Hogs, UF, UK, and maybe Bama show just how deep the conference has become.  I think all will be on the bubble or better.  It's just too hard to say how that group is going to shake out.  The unbalanced schedule will affect that too.  I don't think we did too bad in that regard though.  Our home/home games are AU, OM, LSU, Mizzou, and TAMU.  Those last two will be fun series, but we should expect to take at least 5 games off those first three teams.  We get UK, UT, USC, and Vandy at home.  The road slate is tougher to me with trips to UF, UGA, Bama, Miss St.  I think we should expect a little tougher road this year in conference, but I think the schedule will be even more respected come committee time.

secthundahog

UK def guna lose a few conference games..... But so will everyone else. UK, UF,TA&M, UARK, MIzooo my order for top 5. aint no way around that kentucky recruiting class

ShadowHawg

Quote from: secthundahog on November 14, 2017, 04:08:29 pm
UK def guna lose a few conference games..... But so will everyone else. UK, UF,TA&M, UARK, MIzooo my order for top 5. aint no way around that kentucky recruiting class

You haven't watched them if you really believe that. Teams can get all the way to the rim at will against this bunch.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 14, 2017, 04:14:55 pm
You haven't watched them if you really believe that. Teams can get all the way to the rim at will against this bunch.

Seems like this is always Cal's problem at some point in a season: getting his team to play with defensive intensity. 

Fan701

Quote from: secthundahog on November 14, 2017, 04:08:29 pm
Maybe.  But my guess is that they're going to lose quite a few conference games this year.  Watch them tonight against Kansas.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are beaten badly.  At this point, they don't look like a top ten team.  Maybe they will be later in the season.

razorhead94

1.  Florida
2.  Texas A&M
3.  Kentucky
4.  Arkansas
5.  Missouri
6.  Alabama
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

secthundahog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 14, 2017, 04:14:55 pm
Not surprising a starting lineup with four freshman and a SO are getting scored on beginning of the season

Paul

UK looks bad so far.  Florida's backcourt could carry them a long way.  A & M is my darkhorse to compete for the conference championship

MountieDawg

Quote from: secthundahog on November 14, 2017, 04:38:44 pm
Not surprising a starting lineup with four freshman and a SO are getting scored on beginning of the season

You havent been watching either...They have started 5 freshman in both games....  They have some definite defensive issues in the Man to Man... They played and amazing zone in their 1st game and went on about an 18 point run with the change.  But Cal took them out of the one after that and they havent played it since.  He says he is cheating his players by not playing man to man because it doesnt prepare them for the NBA...  This team is far from a Top 10 team right now, but its 5 freshman and they will get better.
SEC!

HogFoo

This UK team looks like a McDonald's all American team game, where its  all offense and not much defense played.  Definitely no TEAM defense. They will win by trying to outscore a team instead of trying to put shutdown defense on the floor to stop the other team.  As someone else mentioned, every time a player gets the ball it's like they are trying to showcase their individual talents.  What's the saying there is no "i" in team, but there is in division.  They are not a team group.  Now in past for the most part Cal has been able to get them to play unselfish team ball.  Looks like his job will be much harder this season.

Which, that all works out great for the Hogs.  Let them come at us.  I wish we played them right now, I think we'd blow up UK by 40! No joke either!  They all look like they trying to stand around and just outtalent to get wins.  Any team with some talent and great chemistry is going to give them fits right now unless they change quickly.  Which, I hope they lose every game.  I also hate duke , unc, florida, mizz  miss st (who really hate now) and we'll every other team in SEC. Hate them all, and want Hogs to kick all their azzes!   Which, haha, I think the Hogs will..   

In a different note, I had thought kevaughn Allen had went into the draft.  Didn't know he was still playing for UF till I turned on the tv and saw his huge head on.  I thought, that guy looks like Allen, except he had lost his headband.  But then I saw it was him.  So, now I really want to k8ck UFs ads too!  Mucho hate for all these schools who have guys who turned us down for business reasons!  Or because their dad was supposedly sick and they got Adidas money to go there. Hate them!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HogFoo on November 15, 2017, 04:52:02 am
This UK team looks like a McDonald's all American team game, where its  all offense and not much defense played.  Definitely no TEAM defense. They will win by trying to outscore a team instead of trying to put shutdown defense on the floor to stop the other team.  As someone else mentioned, every time a player gets the ball it's like they are trying to showcase their individual talents.  What's the saying there is no "i" in team, but there is in division.  They are not a team group.  Now in past for the most part Cal has been able to get them to play unselfish team ball.  Looks like his job will be much harder this season.

Which, that all works out great for the Hogs.  Let them come at us.  I wish we played them right now, I think we'd blow up UK by 40! No joke either!  They all look like they trying to stand around and just outtalent to get wins.  Any team with some talent and great chemistry is going to give them fits right now unless they change quickly.  Which, I hope they lose every game.  I also hate duke , unc, florida, mizz  miss st (who really hate now) and we'll every other team in SEC. Hate them all, and want Hogs to kick all their azzes!   Which, haha, I think the Hogs will..   

In a different note, I had thought kevaughn Allen had went into the draft.  Didn't know he was still playing for UF till I turned on the tv and saw his huge head on.  I thought, that guy looks like Allen, except he had lost his headband.  But then I saw it was him.  So, now I really want to k8ck UFs ads too!  Mucho hate for all these schools who have guys who turned us down for business reasons!  Or because their dad was supposedly sick and they got Adidas money to go there. Hate them!
Come on man, tell us how you really feel.

Dugann

All I got to say is "Buckle your seat belt"  "Buckle your seat belt"
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

NWAHog479

Has anybody had a chance to watch Tennessee play? Won big the other night and Barnes is a good coach.

upperdeck_hawg

They just took Kansas down to the wire with a bunch of guys that were playing their 3rd game removed from high school. They will improve and win the conference. That's what they do.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Youngsta71701

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on November 15, 2017, 03:15:33 pm
They just took Kansas down to the wire with a bunch of guys that were playing their 3rd game removed from high school. They will improve and win the conference. That's what they do.
Maybe Kansas is not as good as in years past? Neither one of them impressed me.

Hawg Red

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on November 15, 2017, 03:15:33 pm

I think a lot of it is Kansas just not being that good. Some national folks think this is the year that KU maybe doesn't win the Big 12. But I'm almost certain Kentucky won't be very good. I'm guaranteeing it (like that means anything but still) right now that they don't win the SEC. 100%.