Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Left guard cover ups???

Started by snoop hawgy hawg, October 18, 2017, 11:02:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

aloha_kid

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 18, 2017, 09:52:32 pm
So TCU, a team that is undefeated and beat a good Ok st team and pretty good WVU team is less talented than Arkansas?  Find that hard to believe.  A&M who is 5-2 and has recruited very well the last few years and beat UF (admittedly not real good) beat us and played Bama pretty tough is less talented?  I guarantee you if every coach in the SEC rated the talents on the teams that A&M would be ahead of us. We would be above only Mizzou, Vandy and maybe Miss st and UK.  Now I am still on the "Fire Bielema" bus.  But there is no way we have more talent than even half of the teams in the SEC.  Hire Brent Venables and he will improve the talent quickly. 

You will get the same quality talent we get now. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: aloha_kid on October 18, 2017, 10:25:48 pm
You will get the same quality talent we get now. 
I disagree.  Hope we get a chance to find out and a couple years from now we have a roster that is more talented and has many future NFL players.  Not Bama loaded, but comparable to A&M, Tennessee, Auburn and Florida.  No way we will recruit to UGA and Bama level but if we can get in the high teens/low 20's and develop them plus get a play maker at QB of the dual threat variety then we will be more competitive. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: snoop hawgy hawg on October 18, 2017, 11:02:47 am
Everyone who watches #51 closely says he gets beat alot, but the coaches say he grades out as our second best o-linemen. We all know there is no universal grade system for o-linemen, every coach has their own...is it possible CBB is fudging the "grades" to cover up the fact that he may have made a huge mistake in moving #51???

Thoughts???

The changes made last week demanded Bama change their point of attack.  What you saw was more blitz's coming through at #51 because Ragnow was in the right side.  The thinking being that that would be the weakest spot.  Wonder why one of the best defensive staffs in the country would think that?  #51 is not that bad but he got overloaded several times, some of those times a RB/FB/TE picked up the blitz sometimes they missed the blitz.  It's wasn't necessarily the fault of one man.

FANONTHEHILL

Take into consideration that when you talk about the LG position you're referring to the A and B gaps on the left side.  Everyone points out the fact that Alabama attacked Froholdt because he's was the weakest link in the chain.  You also have to consider that there was a Rogers a a first time starter at center (A gap side) and Gibson moved over to be a first time starter at LT (B gap side).  You attack at the point of change.  A corner goes down, you throw at their replacement.  A QB goes out, you blitz and pressure the backup. 

From what I've seen, the Alabama game was the first time this season the five best Olineman were on the field together.  Now, Gibson, Froholdt, and Rogers just need to quickly get a feel for one another.  Frank and Brian will take less time.  They're the most physically talented and athletic among the group.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2017, 12:35:29 pm
Making stuff up is a lot easier than and more fun than talking about real stuff. Plus the player in question is not good old southern boy.

Are you saying he's a, well, you know what?
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on October 19, 2017, 05:07:51 am
Take into consideration that when you talk about the LG position you're referring to the A and B gaps on the left side.  Everyone points out the fact that Alabama attacked Froholdt because he's was the weakest link in the chain.  You also have to consider that there was a Rogers a a first time starter at center (A gap side) and Gibson moved over to be a first time starter at LT (B gap side).  You attack at the point of change.  A corner goes down, you throw at their replacement.  A QB goes out, you blitz and pressure the backup. 

From what I've seen, the Alabama game was the first time this season the five best Olineman were on the field together.  Now, Gibson, Froholdt, and Rogers just need to quickly get a feel for one another.  Frank and Brian will take less time.  They're the most physically talented and athletic among the group.

Now the coaching staff needs to get a clue(from me) and sub in for Froholdt a series or two in the game.  He needs time the time to observe from the sideline and time to think. I'm sure someone will disagree with me but it would do wonders for Fro.

hogsanity

Quote from: ErieHog on October 18, 2017, 06:56:12 pm
There is a terrible tendency in fans to assign blame.

You see a guy come through a gap that is normally occupied by player X.  Player X must be garbage.     On that play, though, X is instructed to vacate the hole and kick out and double on a guy,  or everyone's supposed to down-block on the play.    X is not at fault.  X does their job, but X gets blamed because the other guy doesn't do his.

That's a ton of the problem with how much we end up blaming player X for their performance shortcomings, which aren't going to register as a shortcoming with graders.

Wait, what? You mean the people on here blaming Froholdt do not know their own as% from their head? Shocking, simply shocking.

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 18, 2017, 05:28:20 pm
Hogsanity needs to take up Stoenor in a debate given he is who brought attention to this.

Yes, such a good analyst he could not keep his job on the SECN, a network that will hire just about any former sec player as long as they have a pulse. When he is not hawking cars for Orr he apparently has moved to selling insurance. Why he has not become a coach somewhere with his awesome analytical skills is really puzzling.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 19, 2017, 08:02:50 am
Now the coaching staff needs to get a clue(from me) and sub in for Froholdt a series or two in the game.  He needs time the time to observe from the sideline and time to think. I'm sure someone will disagree with me but it would do wonders for Fro.

I agree.  Since they don't truly have a two-deep, but rather a top 8 or 9 with guys playing multiple spots, I would love to see Merrick given a chance in spots at guard as well.  Keep everyone fresh and coach them up when on the sideline.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

hawgsalot

Simply another typical hogville thread, some think BB loves Fro so they have to trash him.  Blah blah blah, I love Fro he is one on the line that attacks.  You see his butt down the field taking guys out when a rb or wr gets stood up.  If we had 5 of Fros we would be a dominant online.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hawgsalot on October 19, 2017, 11:21:33 am
Simply another typical hogville thread, some think BB loves Fro so they have to trash him.  Blah blah blah, I love Fro he is one on the line that attacks.  You see his butt down the field taking guys out when a rb or wr gets stood up.  If we had 5 of Fros we would be a dominant online.

What some don't understand is just how bad our lack of preparation/coaching and game adjustments are.  Why does it take a genius to figure out where a team is going to attack an o-line that has made wholesale changes?  When I mentioned starting Rogers at center last week I specifically mentioned scheming away from the loos of Ragnow at center.  We also started a new qb and that would lead you to believe he might not always read the defense right.  It takes coaching guys that's all you can do, coach you dang butt off!

texas tush hog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on October 19, 2017, 10:18:06 am
I agree.  Since they don't truly have a two-deep, but rather a top 8 or 9 with guys playing multiple spots, I would love to see Merrick given a chance in spots at guard as well.  Keep everyone fresh and coach them up when on the sideline.

Spoken like a true unbiased (although it would be excusable) observer of practices and knows his stuff. Thanks FOTH.