Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Conundrum

Started by PLHawg, October 18, 2017, 08:42:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PLHawg

So as a lifelong fan (50 years) I have conflicting emotions the rest of the season.  I obviously want us to do well and win games, but I also don't want us to do so well as to give a reason for Long to keep CBB around for another year.  I have a bad feeling if we somehow finish 6-6 it will be just enough for him to linger here another year.  What to do?

(notOM)Rebel123

It'll be like having to deal with Aunt Bea making pickles...in the end, Andy told Barney, "Well, there's only one thing to do. It's what we should have done in the first place.....learn to love 'em."
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Arthur pigby sellers.

Don't worry about it either way. You have no control over what happens.

....and remember this team has shown great ability to lose games.  They are excellent at blowing leads and almost never capitalize on opportunities.  They will definitely lose to auburn and LSU and at least one of the Missouri and ole miss games.

go hogues

Quote from: PLHawg on October 18, 2017, 08:42:08 am
So as a lifelong fan (50 years) I have conflicting emotions the rest of the season.  I obviously want us to do well and win games, but I also don't want us to do so well as to give a reason for Long to keep CBB around for another year.  I have a bad feeling if we somehow finish 6-6 it will be just enough for him to linger here another year.  What to do?
Rest easy. Only game we'll win going forward is Coastal Carolina.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

ipigsooie

It seems to me that even at 6-6 that would leave us with and sec record of 3-5 in a down year of the sec. His overall record in the sec should be enough imo.

Boardon Hamsay

This is an interesting fan catch 22. I saw a thread the other day where someone was labeled as "rooting against the Hogs" because they wanted a staff change.  It seems like those calling for immediate change would need to sacrifice a few more wins and/or short term "rooting" to ensure the best possible chance of said change actualizing.  If you continue to root for the Hogs and we win, those wanting change are less likely to get it. Very curious to understand the "etiquette" here, for lack of better words, because I'm sure Hogville will need to properly label fans according to their level of always rooting for the Hogs to win vs wanting a coaching change.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Coaches come and go, rooting against your team is a "fair weather" move.  The players deserve better.

Sow’sEar

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 18, 2017, 08:47:31 am
It'll be like having to deal with Aunt Bea making pickles...in the end, Andy told Barney, "Well, there's only one thing to do. It's what we should have done in the first place.....learn to love 'em."
LOL!

hogsanity

If you've gotten to the point that you can not easily root for your team to win you have lost the perspective of being a fan.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

greenie

Now that's funny.  Nice job, brother.

Ex-Trumpet

I think we're probably more akin to Barney carrying an empty gun around with him all the time.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 18, 2017, 09:36:25 am
Coaches come and go, rooting against your team is a "fair weather" move.  The players deserve better.

Exactly.  I want them to win every game they play, especially AU, and whatever happens with the coaching situation happens. 

PLHawg

I would never root against the Hogs, never.  As a kid I used to literally cry when we lost a game, especially against Texas - and I still don't act very nice as a 53 year old.  As an alum, foundation member and season ticket holder I want the best for my team, which has me really conflicted right now because I believe our current coach is falling way short in that regard.  I not only see a sub-par product and performance on the field, but I see a coach on the sidelines with absolutely no passion.  I see a coach who has been in way over his head from the get-go and don't see that changing any time soon.  I have no confidence in Jeff Long to make the tough decision - the only way I see a new start for this team is 5-7 or worse, Long will do everything in his power to keep CBB, and next year we'll have more of the same.  Time to rip the band-aid off and let the healing begin.

Hoggish1

There is no conundrum here.  What will happen will happen.  And your wishes or fears have nothing to do with the outcome of the coming game or of CBB's future.

If you are a Hog fan you root for the team.

Pig in the Pokey

IT DOESNT MATTER JUST ROOT FOR THE HOGS, FATTY IS DONE AND THE NEW GUY IS LINED UP.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on October 18, 2017, 08:48:10 am
Don't worry about it either way. You have no control over what happens.

....and remember this team has shown great ability to lose games.  They are excellent at blowing leads and almost never capitalize on opportunities.  They will definitely lose to auburn and LSU and at least one of the Missouri and ole miss games.
Totally agree with your first two comments. While I'm discouraged and upset at the direction of the program over the past several years, I've tried my best to put it into perspective. I can't do a darn thing about it. I can express my opinions/concerns; I can continue to support the team to the best of my ability (and will certainly do so); however, in the end the ultimate decision(s) of what happens going forward is completely out of my hands. There are far too many other things to be concerned about it this world. Some I have some control over; others I can't influence. The ones that I can I'll do my best to deal with. Otherwise, the rest is all noise.

The NewEra

I have gone through these mixed emotions myself and there is one glaring reason for that.  My confidence level that Bielema can maintain a program that is on an upward trajectory is at absolute zero.  I also have very little confidence that if we hire a new coach that he'll be the guy to take us to the next level.  Jeff hasn't excited me with some of the names he apparently missed the last time around and the names I see being floated around don't excite me either.  So, I'm going to pull for this team to win each of the next seven games.  That will match my preseason projection.  It also means we have beaten Auburn and Gus who I loathe and it would be fun to throw gas under the flames currently under his butt.  Can you imagine the decibel level in Auburn if this lowly Arkansas team beat them?  LSU is another program that it would be fun to beat this year for the same reasons.  Ole Miss is a dirt bag of a program and Missouri needs an Arkansas ass whooping if for no other reason than to momentarily silence their Linebacker.  It would also send Hogville into a tizzy fit and that would be epic to watch.  What would Ward have to do with his time then?

Do I believe any of this will happen?  Absolutely Not!  The odds are sure against it but it does allow me to look forward to the games and pull for an Arkansas win, but not be down in the dumps if they don't.  The rest of this season is up to the players and the coaches as it should be.

Grunt

Do they?
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Grunt

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2017, 09:43:16 am
If you've gotten to the point that you can not easily root for your team to win you have lost the perspective of being a fan.
Disagree.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

007 License To Squeal

When I was a kid, my family used to go down to the river bottoms in SE Arkansas for family picnics.  On one such trip, my two brothers and I were playing around an old slough while my Mother was getting the sandwiches and drinks ready for us.  Suddenly, one of my younger brothers yelled out "I stepped on a thorn"!! 

My Dad, after taking a look at it, said "OK, Son, I'll have to remove it so that it won't become infected and make you sick or worse".  Of course my brother, although he was already hurting,  didn't like that idea because he was afraid of the pain of the thorn removal.  My Dad said "Sometimes, we have to endure a short time of pain in order to stop a much bigger problem later".

I think our coach is the thorn......and he must be removed to save the long term health of the once healthy Razorback program......
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

PLHawg

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on October 18, 2017, 10:59:56 am
When I was a kid, my family used to go down to the river bottoms in SE Arkansas for family picnics.  On one such trip, my two brothers and I were playing around an old slough while my Mother was getting the sandwiches and drinks ready for us.  Suddenly, one of my younger brothers yelled out "I stepped on a thorn"!! 

My Dad, after taking a look at it, said "OK, Son, I'll have to remove it so that it won't become infected and make you sick or worse".  Of course my brother, although he was already hurting,  didn't like that idea because he was afraid of the pain of the thorn removal.  My Dad said "Sometimes, we have to endure a short time of pain in order to stop a much bigger problem later".

I think our coach is the thorn......and he must be removed to save the long term health of the once healthy Razorback program......

Perfect analogy

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: PLHawg on October 18, 2017, 11:02:06 am
Perfect analogy

and true story.  I've thought about that many times during my lifetime....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

HotlantaHog

It's always good if the Hogs win.

Losses could accelerate the demise of CBB, but there is no guarantee the next coach will be better.

So just back the Hogs and hope for the best.

Nutt left after the Hogs beat a No.1 ranked team, and were 8-4 if I recall right. So turning around the season may not be enough in year 5 unless there is reason to think year 6 will be a lot better.

Inhogswetrust

Conundrum is good wine.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoghiker

Have never, will never root against the Hogs. Not sure why anyone would.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hoghiker on October 18, 2017, 11:06:21 am
Have never, will never root against the Hogs. Not sure why anyone would.
Easy. For a start: personal agenda.

HawgTide

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 18, 2017, 10:11:22 am
There is no conundrum here.  What will happen will happen.  And your wishes or fears have nothing to do with the outcome of the coming game or of CBB's future.

If you are a Hog fan you root for the team.

There you go. It's really simple

DoctorSusscrofa

No matter what happens, we won't end up with a great coach and highly successful team. Root for the Hogs to win each game.  If we lose enough, we'll just start over with someone that won't do much, if any, better. 
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

micali

I never wish the hogs to lose just don't have much hope of them winning anymore.  What I don't get is if we go 5-7 how are we as fans supposed to get excited about next year?  If Bret is still here what hope do we have that things will be better?  He has shown one year that he approved over the previous year but now I've seen nothing that shows we are on the rise.  It's sad when I have to tell my kid "don't expect our HOGS to win a NC and once you except this you won't be so disappointed"  Now that is just sad.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Grunt on October 18, 2017, 10:35:28 am
Do they?

You ended with a question mark so I guess I'm up again.  You werent specific but I'm going guess you are aware that coaches don't last forever so by "they" you were likely referring to our players.  So here's my take, do with it what you choose.  The Razorbacks are Arkansas.  You hear posters on this site that have been fans for 40-50+ years.  You see heated debates over our coach because everyone loves this team.  Players at this level typically have multiple offers and they choose us, they put it all on the line for the fans and the state of Arkansas in the hope that they can be successful and maybe get to the next level.  I think of guys recently like Jonathan Williams, Kody Walker, and RWIII.   Do you think those guys would hope you would support them through the good and bad OR do you think they would be understanding that you just dont like the coach so its ok if you want them to lose.  I tend to agree with the former vs the latter.  Everyone gets their own opinion feel free to disagree.

GuvHog

October 18, 2017, 12:26:49 pm #30 Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:06:54 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 18, 2017, 10:12:27 am
IT DOESNT MATTER JUST ROOT FOR THE HOGS, FATTY IS DONE AND THE NEW GUY IS LINED UP.

I do agree that Bret is done no matter how many games the Hogs win the rest of the season but I doubt they have the new guy lined up.

As I stated in another thread, I always pull for the Hogs to win no matter what.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2017, 09:43:16 am
BINGO!!!!

East Clintwood

Yes, but in addition to fan support, they also deserve a competent coaching staff.  This team hasn't had one for quite awhile.  It's time for change.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Seebs

Understand, either way, you have no control on the outcome. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 18, 2017, 12:41:57 pm
Yes, but in addition to fan support, they also deserve a competent coaching staff.  This team hasn't had one for quite awhile.  It's time for change.
[/quote

Sorry thought I was pretty clear when I said coaches come and go.  But I think what you really mean to say is that YOU think its time for a change which really has zero to do with my point.  You can not like the coach all day but when that turns into rooting against the team I suggest you make a change.  It is a free country, you can always go watch the red wolves, I think they are doing pretty well this year.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 18, 2017, 11:51:43 am
No matter what happens, we won't end up with a great coach and highly successful team. Root for the Hogs to win each game.  If we lose enough, we'll just start over with someone that won't do much, if any, better.
Well I most certainly WON'T agree with you on that. IF you truly feel that we can't do much better then I suggest you turn in your "fan" shirt. I, for one, strongly believe we CAN (and hopefully will).

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: greenie on October 18, 2017, 09:44:00 am
Now that's funny.  Nice job, brother.

Ha! Well, there is an Andy Griffith episode that deals with most any life experience.
But if Andy & Barn' didn't deal with it, then Seinfeld probably did.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber