Comments from Ragnow

Started by WilsonHog, October 15, 2017, 11:17:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhogs

Quote from: twistitup on October 16, 2017, 07:12:40 am
Ragnow sounds more like a coach than CBB- good w media, sincere and intelligent

I like straight shooters- not bullshitters
100%
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

The NewEra

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 16, 2017, 09:16:13 am
I will boldly suggest that this explains more than it appears. If your SR QB has better technical skills (and he does) then you still trot him out there. But, you begin to realize that you don't play Wallace because AA has the yips with Bwall at RT. And, you play Clary and Ramirez because you have to run because AA is antsy in the pocket. Then, AA overcompensates for being told he is antsy and holds the ball too long.

Switch the QB and you limit what you can do, somewhat, but you also allow a full compliment of players on the field.

I once had an old computer that I refused to retire with an upgrade to a newer model. It had every document I needed, all the tools I used, etc., but I finally realized that it kept me from doing my work efficiently, and that there were certain utilities it was incapable of performing. So, I did the extra work - new computer, added on features as I found that I needed them still, copied all the old docs to storage drives (pre-cloud days, lol) so I'd have them, etc. I was able to do things I didn't dream of before. It was a breath of fresh air once executed, but it was hard to make the move.

When Austin Allen (your old computer) is healthy again, he will be starting.  Bielema is married to the idea that a fifth year senior should be allowed to play regardless of whether Kelley (your new computer) makes more sense for the continuity of the offense and the future of the program.

Ex-Trumpet

The computer is only as good as the operator inputing the data.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

rljjr

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 16, 2017, 09:29:16 am

"We talking 'bout input?!?!"

Hoggish1

Quote from: Redhogs on October 16, 2017, 09:06:14 am
Arkansas..the only program in college football where a coach loses 41-9 and some idiot fans talk like it saved his job...just mind boggling.  We are the worst team in the SEC...let that sink in....year 5 of his great coaching accomplishments here.

Did you watch the USCe game? 

The fans are remarking on the fact we didn't quit in the 2nd half.  That we hit hard to the very end.  It was an obvious improvement.

We should never have lost to SC.  It's about the two games we saw and how different the team was from the one we had better personnel than to one obviously superior to us in coaching and personnel. 

What changed and why?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hog N Bama on October 16, 2017, 06:36:30 am
I think Kurt Anderson ruined this team

I been thinking that myself and Now I believe it is the TRUTH!   ANDERSON MUST GO !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgtime

Quote from: AP85 on October 16, 2017, 07:13:57 am
Cole is respected. Way more than Austin.

You could see the distaste on Austin's face on the sideline. He just acts like a baby. Quarterbacks. Even second and third string or injured starters have their headsets on. Are engaged. Helping with play calls.

I think it's should be Cole's team Now. Time to move forward.

I hope so.  I don't believe this year is going to be special, so we should work towards the future.  get the most talented players on the field and let them learn!!!

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hog N Bama on October 16, 2017, 06:36:30 am
I think Kurt Anderson ruined this team

I think Kurt Anderson has been doing what the head coach ordered him to do.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 15, 2017, 11:17:10 pm
From Clay Henry's article on Whole Hog Sports:

On the offensive line:

"I probably made some errors, but I tried to play my butt off. Zach deserved a chance to start at center. I think Brian Wallace deserved a shot to play right tackle."

"I believe in these guys. The vibe was way better tonight than at South Carolina. Of course, I want to see the tape, but I don't think anyone folded or backed down."

"I don't think we played physical against South Carolina. Our attitude wasn't right, especially in the second half. I didn't see heads down tonight."

On Cole Kelley:

"Cole believes he can beat the New England Patriots. That's what Coach B says and I believe that."

"It's rare to see that in a redshirt freshman. He's the type of guy that you feed off of his energy. He believes. He is going to have some growing pains, but he's got the right attitude, the right mindset."
At least those are encouraging words from a kid who should most certainly be respected. While we obviously didn't beat the Tide, far from it, at least there seems to be a greater sense of urgency from some of these kids. Not sure why that appears to be the case all of a sudden. Is it their fear that CBB could be canned, has someone really gotten on their rears the last week or so, or is just some pride finally kicking in or is it something else? Perhaps a combination of two or more of these factors. In any event it's getting to take ALL the players taking this approach moving forward to have any chance of half way salvaging this season.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 16, 2017, 09:42:34 am

Exactly.  UGa seems to be proof of that.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

forrest city joe

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 16, 2017, 09:42:34 am
Yep. people act like coach B is not the head coach. coach B makes the final decision on who plays.no matter who Anderson suggest,coach B can say no.this is on BB for letting this happen.

Polecat

Quote from: island hog on October 16, 2017, 09:07:38 am
Why do you say that?

He's inconsistent. Got blown up by 3rd string Josh Frazier on the goal line, along with other foul-ups. Would like to see Merrick get a shot, JMO
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Peter Porker

Quote from: Polecat on October 16, 2017, 09:50:11 am
He's inconsistent. Got blown up by 3rd string Josh Frazier on the goal line, along with other foul-ups. Would like to see Merrick get a shot, JMO

So, a kid that's been battling future NFL players all game gets blown up by a former 4 star that's fresh and you want to replace him? makes sense.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 16, 2017, 09:29:16 am
Bielema is still using punch cards.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Bebop

hawg66

Glad to see some folks using this thread as an excuse to bash Allen. Reaffirms everything that is Hogville.

Sad

razorbackfaninar

I like Ragnow's comments, though I didn't read as much into them as some did.  I do think though that this situation points out once again that our coaching staff seems to have a problem assessing our available talent during the off-season. They seem to make plans for the upcoming season without a real critical eye for the talent level of the players and so in multiple seasons now we have players being asked to do things they aren't capable of, and players that seem talented that don't see the field or are mis-utilized, and what is so frustrating to the fans is that it seems to take the coaching staff so long to correct issues that seem so obvious.
I would have thought after the Florida A&M game that they could see the line wasn't where it needed to be. Of course that's the first game of the year, lesser opponent, maybe give them a muligan, but then after TCU it was obvious that there were major issues with that position group and still no change, then A&M no major changes, when it was beyond obvious at that point that what they were doing was not working. That to me has been the most frustrating thing about the Bielema era the propensity to keep doing things when they obviously aren't working.

hoglady

Quote from: hawg66 on October 16, 2017, 11:09:57 am
Glad to see some folks using this thread as an excuse to bash Allen. Reaffirms everything that is Hogville.

Sad

It is sad.
The kid has only taken an absolute beating - mostly due to his head coaches decisions.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

niels_boar

October 16, 2017, 01:17:55 pm #68 Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 01:32:20 pm by niels_boar
Coaches make mistakes, but I'll say I'm skeptical that player X playing instead of player Y is going to make a sea change.  The coaches have more expertise, more information, and more self-interest to get the best players on the field. Fact is CBB didn't have an O-line ready that could do what he needs them to do, and it may cost him his job.  However, all the "obvious" lineup changes are probably closer to backseat driving than trenchant analysis.  More likely they are improvements on the margin. 

We've got two opportunities against Auburn and LSU to prove that this team can score against high quality defense.  The old lineup was probably going to look better against Ole Miss, MSU, and Missouri because they are statistically three of the worst defenses that we have faced all season.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: niels_boar on October 16, 2017, 01:17:55 pm
Coaches make mistakes, but I'll say I'm skeptical that player X playing instead of player Y is going to make a sea change.  The coaches have more expertise, more information, and more self-interest to get the best players on the field. Fact is CBB didn't have an O-line ready that could do what he needs them to do, and it may cost him his job.  However, all the "obvious" lineup changes are probably closer to backseat driving than trenchant analysis.  More likely they are improvements on the margin. 

We've got two opportunities against Auburn and LSU to prove that this team can score against high quality defense.  The old lineup was probably going to look better against Ole Miss, MSU, and Missouri because they are statistically three of the worst defenses that we have faced all season.

In principle I agree with your sentiment, but coaches can get to close to a situation and it can impair their judgement.  They bring in outside consultants for a reason. I usually feel like the armchair quarterbacking and conspiracy theories are a bit much, but with this staff it seems to me that at times there are changes that should be made and when they are made things seem better.  I think that even though they were still bad at times on Saturday the offensive line looked like the best they had played in some time. I could be projecting, but that's how it looked to me.  I guess we can see how the o-line looks this week, although the D-line is the strength of the auburn team so there may not be much to tell.

Rayzback

I can see how a person could read into it, but I don't think Ragnow would ever put down AA.  He's got to much class for that; teammate, captain, senior.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

BassinHawg

Quote from: hawgon on October 16, 2017, 07:58:45 am
No, just no.  They showed Allen on the sidelines a bunch and he always had the head phones on.  They showed him talking to CK and offering encouragement numerous times. 

This whole thing is a crap show.  AA's play in the first half of the year last year is the ONLY reason Fat Bert is not looking down the barrel of two losing seasons in a row. 

They also showed him sitting on the bench leaning back a bunch too! I have to admit that's the only shots I saw of him, I didn't see the others, not saying they didn't happen though. He always had a strange look in his eyes too.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"