Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Start of my list

Started by rocknrollcoastie, October 15, 2017, 02:46:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavthompson

Say no to drunk posts! Unless its a great idea!

Airforcehawg

Greg Schiano
Brohm
Campbell

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 15, 2017, 05:53:42 pm

Venebles, yes, if we can get him, but Matt Campbell has moved to the top of my list . The same Matt Campbell that beat 3rd ranked Oklahoma last week, and curb stomped Kansas 45-0 this week with Iowa State, is the same guy who came into War Memorial two years ago, and kicked our butts with Toledo.

Interesting, I didnt realize that was the same coach.  That Toledo loss was a gut punch but they were good, won 10 games that year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Airforcehawg on October 15, 2017, 07:40:15 pm
Greg Schiano
Brohm
Campbell

Schiano is an interesting name. But he doesn't have the recruiting ties down here we need. However, he is a heck of a coach and only 50.

HiggiePiggy

If Herman Boone turns us down we should look at Coach Kilmer as our back up choice. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

husker71

I know the AD went to Nebraska and starts there in just a few days BUT I don't think there is anyway Nebraska hires Leach.  The mindset of there fans is different from most.  Frost is their near unanimous choice IMHO. 

HiggiePiggy

Red Beaulieu has won a lot of games.  Heck of a offensive mind.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

The_Iceman

I think this roster is set up for a spread passing coach to come in and really take off.

Wildhog

Just do not understand why some have Norvell above Frost or Campbell, especially when Frost curb stomped Norvell just a few weeks ago.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

BartIV

1.Donald Trump (it would turn into a bigger and more beautiful football team).
2. Nick Saban (we would be a bigger, better and beautiful team).
3. Me (let me get paid for 3 seasons, with a buyout)

my3boneheads

Frost. Norvell. Leach (no chance). Wilson (UTSA former LSU coach). Calhoun (Air Force).

my3boneheads

Read on A-State board that if we get Norvell Memphis may go after Anderson.

texas tush hog

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 15, 2017, 07:42:45 pm
Interesting, I didnt realize that was the same coach.  That Toledo loss was a gut punch but they were good, won 10 games that year.

Not only is Campbell a successful head coach, he brought almost his entire coaching staff with him from his successful run at Toledo. No groping around putting together a staff, most of them are already top notch calibre. He would hit the ground running, much as he has at Iowa State. Would be competing in a couple of years instead of wandering in the wilderness for five years. Need to nab him before Tenneessee does. I'm ready to win again. Reminds me of Tuberville in his early years at Ole Miss and Auburn. Would love to see him coach this bunch next year. The talent is here, we just need somebody to steer the ship. Need to send Jeffie packing too.

Fayettechill14

Here's my biggest requirement to win at Arkansas:

The offensive scheme must feature slot receivers, tight ends/H-backs, and possibly running backs. Part of the reason Bielema is floundering is that his scheme is dependent on a position he can't reliably recruit (offensive line). Arkansas HS football produces small, fast skill players by the bunch (Jordan Jones, Deon Stewart, T.J. Hammonds... back to Jarius Wright, Joe Adams, Dennis Johnson, Darren McFadden, Cedric Cobbs, etc.) while bigger players often end up as decent TE/H players (Cheyenne O'Grady, Hunter Henry, Jeremy Sprinkle, Chris Gragg, D.J. Williams, Peyton Hillis). The scheme must work even if the offensive line is not elite.

The claim I'm hearing that we should "just hire an elite recruiter!" is, I think, setting us up for failure. Of course, I'd love an elite recruiter, but we have to be realistic. The Arkansas coach must run a scheme that he can reasonably get players for.

Keeping that in mind, I tend to be a fan of the Malzahn/Clemson offense. It uses the "right" personnel and versatile enough to cater to its talent, as we've seen Clemson do. We know it caters to what Arkansas high school football produces: the earliest version of it was literally invented here! Obviously, that doesn't mean hiring Gus himself. In sports, as in history, the "innovators" are often run out of the business by those who copied their inventions and then improved on them. Chip Kelly is kind of the same way. Hiring him is a bigger risk than most think. If you want Kelly's offense, hire Scott Frost. If you want a better version of the Gus offense, go for Mike Norvell or Chad Morris.

I'd rank my candidates:

1. Mike Gundy. Worth a call although he's unlikely to come. If he can win big in Stillwater with Oklahoma as good as it is, he can win here.
2. Mike Norvell. Offense fits the scheme issue I mentioned above, he has strong Arkansas ties, and he's done well in two states that border Arkansas.
3. Scott Frost. Just dominating at UCF with a very modern college spread offense. I have him under Norvell because he's less-proven at developing a quarterback that isn't a runner first... although their guy this year is putting up some stupid numbers. I think he'd do well here.
4. Blake Anderson. A solid fallback option. What he's doing in Jonesboro is impressive. He's 22-4 in conference play and runs a very versatile offense that can he fit to his personnel.

As for Mike Leach, it's an interesting proposition but I worry that his system isn't flexible enough to feature the running back. Arkansas has a long history of great running backs and I think we put ourselves at a disadvantage if we run a scheme that doesn't feature that position. Also, he's 56, and most coaches can only restart so many times...

jvanhorn

Quote from: rocknrollcoastie on October 15, 2017, 02:46:35 pm
1. Mike Norvell

2. Brent Venables

3. Chad Morris

Thoughts??

Add in the coach at Kentucky, though I don't know why he would want to come here, lol.

mclyte

Justin Fuente should be number one. Graduate of Tulsa Union. Played QB at Oklahoma. OC for Gary Patterson at TCU. Built the Memphis program back up. Has recruiting ties here and I think he would come back to this region.

smb

The list really needs to be well thought out.
GeorgiaHOG

texas tush hog

Quote from: smb on October 16, 2017, 07:32:16 am
The list really needs to be well thought out.

I have studied the possibilities thoroughly. Fuentes, if he would consider leaving Va Tech, would drain our bank. Four million or better, Leach as well, but not near the coach. Mark Stoops at Kentucky would be questionable at best, another Butch Jones. I would take Venebles in a hearbeat, Brohm would be a good choice too, but Campbell is the most proven commodity currently with a proven staff already put together, although Tennessee and A&M may make him unaffordable. No need to get in a bidding war if we can avoid it. Frost is Nebraska bound, book it. Mike Bobo, at Colorado State is also a possibility.

Hayduke

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: rocknrollcoastie on October 15, 2017, 02:46:35 pm
1. Mike Norvell

2. Brent Venables

3. Chad Morris

Thoughts??

I just knew you were answering a "Marry , F$%K, Kill" quick quiz...

I'm so disappointed, or am I?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hayduke

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 16, 2017, 08:26:33 am
Get real.

I mean, it's more realistic than a lot of the names in this thread (Gundy, Saban, etc.), is it not?

texas tush hog

For some reason nobody is mentioning former Batesville, Arkansas native and UCA grad, Charlie Strong. Currently 6-0 at South Florida and may stay undefeated. Has a $2.5 million buyout. Has recruiting ties in Florida and Texas. Great defensive credentials. Was never given a fair shake with the orangeblood teasippers for obvious reasons. Did a marvelous job at Louisville. I knew the teasippers would never accept him.

hoghiker

Quote from: cypert2 on October 15, 2017, 04:06:41 pm
Going to be a huge hire, and a tough one. I imagine lots of up and comers will look at our returning players and our recruiting base and look at the Razorback job as a potential career killer. Don't think we'll be first on many of their lists.
This. I'm sure there is some one out there that will take the job but I'm unconvinced we'll make a giant leap forward. April Fools Day just keeps on giving.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 15, 2017, 11:58:24 pm

The offensive scheme must feature slot receivers, tight ends/H-backs, and possibly running backs. Part of the reason Bielema is floundering is that his scheme is dependent on a position he can't reliably recruit (offensive line). Arkansas HS football produces small, fast skill players by the bunch (Jordan Jones, Deon Stewart, T.J. Hammonds... back to Jarius Wright, Joe Adams, Dennis Johnson, Darren McFadden, Cedric Cobbs, etc.) while bigger players often end up as decent TE/H players (Cheyenne O'Grady, Hunter Henry, Jeremy Sprinkle, Chris Gragg, D.J. Williams, Peyton Hillis). The scheme must work even if the offensive line is not elite.

The claim I'm hearing that we should "just hire an elite recruiter!" is, I think, setting us up for failure. Of course, I'd love an elite recruiter, but we have to be realistic. The Arkansas coach must run a scheme that he can reasonably get players for.

Keeping that in mind, I tend to be a fan of the Malzahn/Clemson offense. It uses the "right" personnel and versatile enough to cater to its talent, as we've seen Clemson do. We know it caters to what Arkansas high school football produces: the earliest version of it was literally invented here! Obviously, that doesn't mean hiring Gus himself. In sports, as in history, the "innovators" are often run out of the business by those who copied their inventions and then improved on them. Chip Kelly is kind of the same way. Hiring him is a bigger risk than most think. If you want Kelly's offense, hire Scott Frost. If you want a better version of the Gus offense, go for Mike Norvell or Chad Morris.

I'd rank my candidates:

1. Mike Gundy. Worth a call although he's unlikely to come. If he can win big in Stillwater with Oklahoma as good as it is, he can win here.
2. Mike Norvell. Offense fits the scheme issue I mentioned above, he has strong Arkansas ties, and he's done well in two states that border Arkansas.
3. Scott Frost. Just dominating at UCF with a very modern college spread offense. I have him under Norvell because he's less-proven at developing a quarterback that isn't a runner first... although their guy this year is putting up some stupid numbers. I think he'd do well here.
4. Blake Anderson. A solid fallback option. What he's doing in Jonesboro is impressive. He's 22-4 in conference play and runs a very versatile offense that can he fit to his personnel.

As for Mike Leach, it's an interesting proposition but I worry that his system isn't flexible enough to feature the running back. Arkansas has a long history of great running backs and I think we put ourselves at a disadvantage if we run a scheme that doesn't feature that position. Also, he's 56, and most coaches can only restart so many times...

Great post!

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 15, 2017, 02:49:55 pm
Start of my list

Less Miles

Mack Brown

Gene Chizik

Don't forget

Jimmy Johnson

Bill Parcells

Tony Dungy

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 15, 2017, 11:58:24 pm

I'd rank my candidates:

This may be one of the worst results of the Bielema era.  Arkansas can't rely on Arkansas high school football for any position but we can recruit offensive linemen.  Just because Bielema and staff failed in numbers, evaluating, developing and putting the right olinemen in position to succeed doesn't mean we need to run to finesse spread football.  You seriously listed Cobbs and DMac as small and fast?  Hell no.  Cobbs ran behind the type of line Bielema can and should have built.  His problem is he went too soft and was left with some in between bull that can't run or pass block well.  But we'll pay for this when we intentionally head the direction of looking like Texas Tech.

Not one finesse team has won the SEC.  AU in 2010 and 2013 had veteran olines and good RBs.  That is the closest you will find.  But they didn't go away from oline play.  They leaned on it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 16, 2017, 01:46:20 pm
This may be one of the worst results of the Bielema era.  Arkansas can't rely on Arkansas high school football for any position.  We can recruit offensive linemen as well.  Just because Bielema and staff failed in numbers, evaluating, developing and putting the right olinemen in position to succeed doesn't mean we need to run to finesse spread football.  You seriously listed Cobbs and DMac as small and fast?  Hell no.  Cobbs ran behind the type of line Bielema can and should have built.  His problem is he went too soft and was left with some in between bull that can't run or pass block well.  But we'll pay for this when we intentionally head the direction of looking like Texas Tech.

Not one finesse team has won the SEC.  AU in 2010 and 2013 had veteran olines and good RBs.  That is the closest you will find.  But they didn't go away from oline play.  They leaned on it. 

These people that keep bringing up scheme just want the Hogs to be TT or Okie ST, they can claim otherwise, but they want 70 bubble screens a game, and the QB running the read option on the other plays.  But those schemes still require you to have players at least as good as your opponent.

You correctly point out Aub 2010, but that team won the NC because their D, which was only so so in the SEC, pretty much shut down Oregon by dominating the LOS with their linemen which let the LB's do whatever they wanted.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on October 16, 2017, 01:51:28 pm
These people that keep bringing up scheme just want the Hogs to be TT or Okie ST, they can claim otherwise, but they want 70 bubble screens a game, and the QB running the read option on the other plays.  But those schemes still require you to have players at least as good as your opponent.

You correctly point out Aub 2010, but that team won the NC because their D, which was only so so in the SEC, pretty much shut down Oregon by dominating the LOS with their linemen which let the LB's do whatever they wanted.

One thing I've said our program needs to add is an athletic qb.  It is the most obvious thing there is in college football.  Stupid and stubborn not to do so.  Otherwise, this other stuff is nonsense.  One team has come close in the SEC with a Big 12-like offense and that was Ole Miss who had to pay a lot and now will suffer the consequences of doing so.  Still couldn't beat us in a down time for us. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 16, 2017, 01:55:41 pm
One thing I've said our program needs to add is an athletic qb.  It is the most obvious thing there is in college football.  Stupid and stubborn not to do so.  Otherwise, this other stuff is nonsense.  One team has come close in the SEC with a Big 12-like offense and that was Ole Miss who had to pay a lot and now will suffer the consequences of doing so.  Still couldn't beat us in a down time for us. 

It is stubborn and stupid IF such a QB would come here and they decide not to offer him. The problem I see with having that type of QB is the offense tends to morph into " let the fast kid run around and make stuff up " just like it did when Matt Jones was here. Even then he has to players. Manziel was good but Evans made him even better, so di having 3 NFL linemen in front of him. And guys like Deshaun Watson are about as common as a blue lobster.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on October 16, 2017, 02:06:50 pm
It is stubborn and stupid IF such a QB would come here and they decide not to offer him. The problem I see with having that type of QB is the offense tends to morph into " let the fast kid run around and make stuff up " just like it did when Matt Jones was here. Even then he has to players. Manziel was good but Evans made him even better, so di having 3 NFL linemen in front of him. And guys like Deshaun Watson are about as common as a blue lobster.

You mention 3 rare players.  They don't have to be at that level.  Just a threat to run or pass every down including called runs.  Just have to make it a point as a staff to find them.  Miss St has done it for example.  A&M loses vs Florida if Mond wasn't the runner he is. 

CDBHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 16, 2017, 01:46:20 pm
This may be one of the worst results of the Bielema era.  Arkansas can't rely on Arkansas high school football for any position but we can recruit offensive linemen.  Just because Bielema and staff failed in numbers, evaluating, developing and putting the right olinemen in position to succeed doesn't mean we need to run to finesse spread football.  You seriously listed Cobbs and DMac as small and fast?  Hell no.  Cobbs ran behind the type of line Bielema can and should have built.  His problem is he went too soft and was left with some in between bull that can't run or pass block well.  But we'll pay for this when we intentionally head the direction of looking like Texas Tech.

Define finesse? Nobody has ever claimed to have or desire to have a finesse team.

Florida has won 7 SEC titles and they generally know for throwing the football. Throwing the ball and putting points on the board is anything but finesse. In fact, it works quite well in college football. Which is more suited for the prolific offenses. Bama is on the standard, I know, but they're on an historic run unlikely to ever be touched by a team like us. Just the truth.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 16, 2017, 04:25:25 pm
Define finesse? Florida has won 7 SEC titles and they generally know for throwing  the football.

Was talking about the spread era where some teams intentionally try and minimize the oline involvement. Not the Fun n Gun. But they had some great RBs during that era and didn't go away from oline play.  Throwing the football doesn't always equate to finesse. 

CDBHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 16, 2017, 04:28:25 pm
Was talking about the spread era where some teams intentionally try and minimize the oline involvement. Not the Fun n Gun. But they had some great RBs during that era and didn't go away from oline play.  Throwing the football doesn't always equate to finesse.

I modified my response as you were doing the same. see above.

Again, I don't see anybody saying they want a finesse team. Some of us just realize that being Bama isn't going to happen. Our best chance against the big boys is to spread it out and score points. We've seen what focusing on power football and D has done for us.

CDBHawg

The only time we have had a back to back winning record in conference was when we lead the SEC in passing.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 16, 2017, 04:32:19 pm
I modified my response as you were doing the same. see above.

Again, I don't see anybody saying they want a finesse team. Some of us just realize that being Bama isn't going to happen. Our best chance against the big boys is to spread it out and score points. We've seen what focusing on power football and D has done for us.

Some of us?  We all realize beating Bama isn't happening for many reasons right now.  Spreading it out hasn't worked for us against them. 

Bielema failed to implement a system to this point.  We don't know if it would work. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 16, 2017, 04:34:17 pm
The only time we have had a back to back winning record in conference was when we lead the SEC in passing.

From a pro style offense.  Most of the coaching suggestions I'm seeing are about coaches who run a more finesse version of the spread. 

CDBHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 16, 2017, 04:39:07 pm
Some of us?  We all realize beating Bama isn't happening for many reasons right now.  Spreading it out hasn't worked for us against them. 

Bielema failed to implement a system to this point.  We don't know if it would work.

I prefer putting points on the board over clock managing a 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense while hoping our D stands strong. If we recruited better, then it'd probably work. But the best years we've had while in the SEC was when we tried to score every play.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 16, 2017, 04:41:09 pm
From a pro style offense.  Most of the coaching suggestions I'm seeing are about coaches who run a more finesse version of the spread.

Fair enough. And for the record, I don't want Leach. Norvell would be my top choice. Actually, it'd be PJ Fleck, but we're not getting him.

I'd also be okay with OC's like Sonny Cumbie, Tee Martin, or Walt Bell.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 16, 2017, 04:42:15 pm
I prefer putting points on the board over clock managing a 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense while hoping our D stands strong. If we recruited better, then it'd probably work. But the best years we've had while in the SEC was when we tried to score every play.

Who is asking for 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense?  Not sure how to even address the last sentence.  The best offenses we've had in the SEC were 1998 with a pro style offense before Nutt went stupid conservative, 2006 with DMac and 2010 the last half of the season with Mallett's arm threatening defenses vertically and KD running out of the I formation quite a bit.  98 and 2010 were balanced offenses. 

CDBHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 16, 2017, 04:47:06 pm
Who is asking for 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense?  Not sure how to even address the last sentence.  The best offenses we've had in the SEC were 1998 with a pro style offense before Nutt went stupid conservative, 2006 with DMac and 2010 the last half of the season with Mallett's arm threatening defenses vertically and KD running out of the I formation quite a bit.  98 and 2010 were balanced offenses.

Agreed. But in 2010 and 2011, our best years while in the SEC, we lead the conference in passing. In 2011 we struggled in the run game and went 11-2. All I'm saying is this, at Arkansas, I believe we need to be a quick strike offensive team. That doesn't mean 70 bubble screens a game. It does mean throw the ball down the field and get chunk yardage on run plays. I don't believe we will ever recruit well enough play the way Bielema wants to.

CDBHawg

In 2010 we threw for 180 more yards per game than we ran for. I'll take that offense all day everyday.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 16, 2017, 04:54:55 pm
Agreed. But in 2010 and 2011, our best years while in the SEC, we lead the conference in passing. In 2011 we struggled in the run game and went 11-2. All I'm saying is this, at Arkansas, I believe we need to be a quick strike offensive team. That doesn't mean 70 bubble screens a game. It does mean throw the ball down the field and get chunk yardage on run plays. I don't believe we will ever recruit well enough play the way Bielema wants to.

Bielema has not shown he is capable of doing it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 16, 2017, 04:56:38 pm
In 2010 we threw for 180 more yards per game than we ran for. I'll take that offense all day everyday.

Everyone should.

My concern is we are about to swing far one direction.  It had better work or this could get worse for longer. 

texas tush hog

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 16, 2017, 04:44:24 pm
Fair enough. And for the record, I don't want Leach. Norvell would be my top choice. Actually, it'd be PJ Fleck, but we're not getting him.

I'd also be okay with OC's like Sonny Cumbie, Tee Martin, or Walt Bell.
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 16, 2017, 04:57:52 pm
Everyone should.

My concern is we are about to swing far one direction.  It had better work or this could get worse for longer. 

Hey Mike Leach. Craig James and his son, Adam say hello.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 16, 2017, 04:41:09 pm

The definition of Pro-style is not universal.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 16, 2017, 05:12:14 pm
The definition of Pro-style is not universal.

I know.  The poster was referring to Petrino