Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting and Arkansas

Started by gchcker, October 15, 2017, 08:23:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gchcker

I get real tired of hearing how Arkansas is not getting good enough players so i did a little research today to see where we sit against some of the teams that shocked the top 25 this week.

2017                            2016                             2015                 2014
Arkansas                            Rank                 26                               24                                22                    30

Arizona State                                             38                               25                                26                    21

Syracuse                                                   49                               62                                63                    60

California                                                   61                               40                                53                    46

Boise State                                                69                               68                                69                    72

Memphis                                                    64                               72                                74                    75+

I don't think our players are the problem here. And it bothers me to hear poor ol arky all the time. Other coaches have been able to do better with the same talent. Some have been able to do much better with worse talent.

When did out attitude change here. Why do the radio heads and fans start making excuses of talent and recruiting. With our recruiting we should be in the top 25 every year or right on the brink.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/scorecard

Kevin

those other teams don't play in the sec
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Vantage 8 dude

The problem is rarely caused by just one issue. While we may not have the level of talent that the elite of the SEC have, IMHO we most certainly have a level of talent to win against a majority of teams we play. We should have beaten USCe, TAM and SHOULD have a legitimate shot against Ole Miss, Mississippi State (tough team) and Missouri. Problem is that as we know whatever talent you have needs to be partnered up with maximum effort, playing smart, avoiding costly turnovers, AND legitimate coaching both before and during games.

I suspect like you I have no clue as to what to expect for what remains of this season. While I obviously like to think we could at least achieve a .500 record for the year, at this point who the heck can have any real confidence in such?

Piggfoot

Quote from: Kevin on October 15, 2017, 08:54:53 am
those other teams don't play in the sec
We do recruit in the top 25 often enough but in the SEC we have 9-10 teams ahead of us. You can't make an argument against Arkansas by using data from teams outside the SEC.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: gchcker on October 15, 2017, 08:23:20 am
I get real tired of hearing how Arkansas is not getting good enough players so i did a little research today to see where we sit against some of the teams that shocked the top 25 this week.

2017                            2016                             2015                 2014
Arkansas                            Rank                 26                               24                                22                    30

Arizona State                                             38                               25                                26                    21

Syracuse                                                   49                               62                                63                    60

California                                                   61                               40                                53                    46

Boise State                                                69                               68                                69                    72

Memphis                                                    64                               72                                74                    75+

I don't think our players are the problem here. And it bothers me to hear poor ol arky all the time. Other coaches have been able to do better with the same talent. Some have been able to do much better with worse talent.

When did out attitude change here. Why do the radio heads and fans start making excuses of talent and recruiting. With our recruiting we should be in the top 25 every year or right on the brink.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/scorecard

good post.

When preparation, focus, determination, confidence, and inspiration are missing physical talent doesn't matter a lot.

MC_Hog

I agree 100% Tennessee has averaged a top 10 class during that time, so why aren't they winning? It all about coaching! I personally think if our coaching staff was at Alabama they would lose 4 games a year. Tennessee, Florida, Texas A&M all have great classes every year, yet always have very average teams. Your only as good as your coaches.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on October 15, 2017, 09:16:41 am
good post.

When preparation, focus, determination, confidence, and inspiration are missing physical talent doesn't matter a lot.
those are wonderful words and it is a great concept--what you say, but in the SEC, physical talent DOES matter. 

I guess an interesting question would be if you could flip the coaching staffs and put Saban and his staff over the Hogs and put Bielema and his staff over Bama' roster, what would happen? 

Personally, I think Bielema would be extremely successful with Bama's roster.  His brand of power football would mesh perfectly with the incredible stable of talent Bama has.  Now Im not saying he would win 5 NCs over 7 or 8 years, but he would be a big winner.   

Now on the other hand, what would Saban and his staff do with ARKs roster?  I would hazard a guess that Saban et al could take the Hogs' roster and win 8 games.  He wouldnt be able to beat Bama.  Talent gap is too much.  Same with Auburn and LSU and he would lose maybe one more game.  So 8-4, but you are talking about maybe the best college coach to ever walk the sidelines.  Not many guys like Saban.  8 wins should not be expected by a normal coach with Arkansas's talent level and the schedule it plays.

HogHomer

Quote from: MC_Hog on October 15, 2017, 10:05:07 am
I agree 100% Tennessee has averaged a top 10 class during that time, so why aren't they winning? It all about coaching! I personally think if our coaching staff was at Alabama they would lose 4 games a year. Tennessee, Florida, Texas A&M all have great classes every year, yet always have very average teams. Your only as good as your coaches.
It's not all about coaching but it does make a big difference. If coaching is the only thing that matters then why in the past 10 years has every team that won the NC never had a class that ranked below #25 and atleast two top 15 class within 4 years of winning the NC.

Also Miami won an NC with Coker don't think a lot of people see him as a good coach. Gene Chizik has a NC ring too. Talent can mask a lot of deficiencies.