Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cole Kelly running threat

Started by synthartist69, October 15, 2017, 12:06:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

synthartist69

There were many times that CK should have just ran the ball instead of trying to force the pass. I know it is easy for me to sit here and say that while everything is happening in a split second against Bama, but I felt like for some reason he either didn't want to hog the ball or was told to not try to run, I dunno. Anyway, could have gained us a 1st easily a couple times and definitely 5 yards or more a couple other times. When he is out of the pocket being chased, he forces the ball and his passes are way off or thrown way too hard. Again, easy for me to say, I understand his situation, just hope they tell him to keep running for the first down and don't worry about passing in those situations right now.

ronmahony

I don't think he is as fast as I thought he was. But I do enjoy him when he gets a head of steam up.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

EulessHog

He is alright.  I like his enthusiasm. 

Go Hogs Go!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: synthartist69 on October 15, 2017, 12:06:45 am
There were many times that CK should have just ran the ball instead of trying to force the pass. I know it is easy for me to sit here and say that while everything is happening in a split second against Bama, but I felt like for some reason he either didn't want to hog the ball or was told to not try to run, I dunno. Anyway, could have gained us a 1st easily a couple times and definitely 5 yards or more a couple other times. When he is out of the pocket being chased, he forces the ball and his passes are way off or thrown way too hard. Again, easy for me to say, I understand his situation, just hope they tell him to keep running for the first down and don't worry about passing in those situations right now.

The few times I saw him attempt to run he never hit full stride. I don't know if he was afraid he would step on someone and twist his ankle, but he never got to trotting down the field other than on that one slide play I saw.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

1highhog

Quote from: ronmahony on October 15, 2017, 12:11:06 am
I don't think he is as fast as I thought he was. But I do enjoy him when he gets a head of steam up.

Hello??  Many of us tried to comment on here that CK is "not" a running QB, he's to slow, now can he pick up a 1st down on short yardage plays, yes, as long as our Oline does some decent blocking.  Cole does his best work stepping into the pocket and picking apart a defense if given time.

PorkRinds

He was likely told not to take hits. Can't afford for him to be hurt too.

moses_007

Reminds me a lot of Matt Jones, but Matt was a better runner.

sickboy

Quote from: 1highhog on October 15, 2017, 12:42:28 am
Hello??  Many of us tried to comment on here that CK is "not" a running QB, he's to slow, now can he pick up a 1st down on short yardage plays, yes, as long as our Oline does some decent blocking.  Cole does his best work stepping into the pocket and picking apart a defense if given time.

He's plenty fast to use his feet as a gunslinger. I wouldn't run an RPO offense with him, other than situationally, but he should have the green light to scramble when he can. Like when he ran over Buggs for the first down. Kelley should eat that up once people are afraid of his arm and our pass game. That all starts with the run in this offense. Have to get a run game going. It's a joke that you can't get Whaley and Hayden popping at all.

HogsonHicks

Quote from: moses_007 on October 15, 2017, 12:46:23 am

Literally nothing like Matt Jones except the height.

Jones was fast with a mediocre arm.

Kelly is much slower with a cannon.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Hey guys
He was playing against freakin BAMA. That's a JV NFL defense out there. They make everyone look slow. Once we play a normal college defense he'll look much more athletic. Unfortunately Auburn's defense is pretty stout.

Also it's not a great idea for college qbs to run against Bama unless their name is cam newton or deshaun Watson.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HogsonHicks on October 15, 2017, 01:16:37 am

Yep

hamARchy in the USA

October 15, 2017, 09:24:16 am #11 Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:04:54 pm by hamARchy in the USA
It has appeared to me that Austin Allen can run but he doesn't while Cole Kelley can't run but he does.

I've yelled at AA countless times to RUN.  He'll stand and wait for a receiver to get loose with 20 yards of daylight in front of him.  It has made me wonder if he was coached to not run.

Kelley, in comparison, takes off if he sees an opportunity.  He can at least lumber for positive yards.

hawgmasta

Jones was a physical freak, I mean think about it; the guy played quarterback but was so athletic he got DRAFTED as a wideout. Ridiculous

HawgHeadCheese

Cole Kelly isn't a running QB, but can be an effective runner. For a guy 6'7" 270 he definitely moves pretty well. He isn't blazing fast but has decent enough speed to pick up 5-8 yds on a scramble when everything is covered up down field. He is definitely the most mobile 6'7" 270 QB I've seen. Not to mention we played Alabama and you see how slow they make actual running QB's look. I have to say I was impressed with Kelly last night. He just needs to fix a few things. If I had designed run plays for Kelly it would consist of QB power and QB is and of course sneak. All short yardage downhill plays.

RebelliousHog

The thing I like about CK is he stands in the pocket and delivers the ball. Even after getting pounded by Bama, he continues to hang in the pocket.  AA gets happy feet.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Rayzback

The mentioned last night, not having time to step into them... several of those passes were all arm.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

hawgXi

Quote from: synthartist69 on October 15, 2017, 12:06:45 am

Looks like cole is getting the same coaching as AA

Pass first before taking the run yardage.

Seems to encourage grounding penalties. & interceptions while giving up good gains on the ground??

Could be coarches feel passing threat needed to open up running game??

Pigasaurus

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 15, 2017, 12:45:41 am
He was likely told not to take hits. Can't afford for him to be hurt too.

This!
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Feralhog

Enos needs to study everything Tebow when he was at UF.   
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Hoggish1

I agree that he could have pulled it down two or three times and moved the chains rather than have incomplete passes followed by punts.

Hoggish1

Jones was also much faster.  No comparison between the two.

CK needs to make up his mind to run when there are no receivers open and the decision needs to be made quickly for him.

Jones couldn't pass but if he waited too long to pass and there was nobody open that's when he was lights out.

Locutus_of_Boar

Kelley doesn't have MJ's ability to accelerate but he might be tougher to get down once he gets moving.

ShadowHawg

ballz2thewall

jemarcus russel [lsu] was the last sec qb that could really sling the ball without his body behind it.  that fact alone, aside for other talents, was a big positive. many a completion was made while timbering down.
The rest of the frog.

Polecat

Lol Matt ran a 4.3 at the combine. I love the kid but Cole looks like a turtle marching  through peanut butter
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

TeufelHog

I think he was told not to run, a) because once again, IT WAS THERE ALL NIGHT FOR THE TAKING! and b) his back-up wasn't AA, it was TS.

"News Flash" though, CK could be a lot faster if he lost 20 pounds and he can afford to.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

I enjoyed watching Bama's tacklers being slow to get up after tackling Cole.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Tusks

Cole doesn't run as much as he 'lumbers'.  If he just falls forward he gains 3 yards.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Polecat on October 15, 2017, 11:45:34 am
Lol Matt ran a 4.3 at the combine. I love the kid but Cole looks like a turtle marching  through peanut butter

I had a first sergeant that was 6'9". He looked slow because there was so much of him to move. That's just it, he looked slow. Once he opened his stride, he could cover more ground in a step than me at 6'1"-ish.

Once Cole gets moving he covers a lot more ground than it seems.
This is my non-signature signature.

longpig

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on October 15, 2017, 11:52:26 am
I enjoyed watching Bama's tacklers being slow to get up after tackling Cole.

The kid is good entertainment, but he is asking for it.  Auburn won't hold back.
Don't be scared, be smart.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Feralhog on October 15, 2017, 09:50:22 am
Enos needs to study everything Tebow when he was at UF.   

I know I would... Too bad Mullen and CBB can't swap for a couple of years. We can always fire CBB on the return trip.. LOL.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Danny J

What I like most about Cole is it appears he is having fun, smiling with the receivers when they make mistakes, begging CBB on the sideline to go for it on 4th down, debating a no call with the red and just his competitive nature in general. It would be best for the team to keep him as starter. We might make a bowl game with him starting...might.

thebignasty

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 15, 2017, 11:58:16 am
I had a first sergeant that was 6'9". He looked slow because there was so much of him to move. That's just it, he looked slow. Once he opened his stride, he could cover more ground in a step than me at 6'1"-ish.

Once Cole gets moving he covers a lot more ground than it seems.

Matt was 6'6", too.

CK is nowhere near as fast.

WaltonCollege

I don't like running too many designed keepers, long season, bad O line.  We need this dude for 4 years.  Just chill back there like Mallet or Big Ben and pick them apart, take off a couple times a game for a first.  Last night when all 11 Bama players jumped on his back was terrifying, need to keep the steamboat clean man.

GuvHog

Quote from: longpig on October 15, 2017, 12:17:08 pm

The kid is good entertainment, but he is asking for it.  Auburn won't hold back.

Seriously?? An unranked LSU team spotted Auburn 17 points then came back to beat them Yesterday afternoon. I don't think Auburn's defense is quite as good as some think.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

longpig

Quote from: GuvHog on October 15, 2017, 01:12:13 pm
Seriously?? An unranked LSU team spotted Auburn 17 points then came back to beat them Yesterday afternoon. I don't think Auburn's defense is quite as good as some think.

On Kelley with two e's specifically, but while we're here you are wrong about Auburn's defense.

Sweet Feet

Sorry, but Kelley is not Matt Jones. He is not that mobile. i told people this for the past week. He is only good for a 2-3 yard steamroll. Look at his runs vs TAMU. Other than that, he is slow. Defenders will tag him most times. He is more tanky though

GuvHog

Quote from: longpig on October 15, 2017, 01:21:24 pm
On Kelley with two e's specifically, but while we're here you are wrong about Auburn's defense.

LSU, a team who just recently lost in Baton Rouge to Troy, proved otherwise yesterday afternoon.

rhames

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 15, 2017, 01:24:41 pm
Sorry, but Kelley is not Matt Jones. He is not that mobile. i told people this for the past week. He is only good for a 2-3 yard steamroll. Look at his runs vs TAMU. Other than that, he is slow. Defenders will tag him most times. He is more tanky though

He doesn't have lightening speed for sure but he covers a large area in a short time.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought he had one pretty long scramble on a third and long that got us a first down last night.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Dropkick

Quote from: longpig on October 15, 2017, 12:17:08 pm

He seems to be getting up from hits in as good or better shape than defenders. He may not hold back either.

flynhog

Cole was doing EXACTLY what he was told to do yesterday.  Against Alabama he didn't look great but he could have done much worse.  You will see much more confidence in his game moving forward this season.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: thebignasty on October 15, 2017, 01:08:18 pm
Matt was 6'6", too.

CK is nowhere near as fast.

Didn't say he was. Covers a lot of ground and with his frame is problematic for a 6' 230 lb linebacker to tackle solo.

Running he probably covers 2-3 yards per stride. Size, weight and momentum make up for lack of opening speed just due to taking 2-3 yards to tackle.
This is my non-signature signature.

texas tush hog

Quote from: GuvHog on October 15, 2017, 01:26:42 pm
LSU, a team who just recently lost in Baton Rouge to Troy, proved otherwise yesterday afternoon.

Actually, they proved it the week before in the swamp.

longpig

Quote from: GuvHog on October 15, 2017, 01:26:42 pm

Proves otherwise if you were born yesterday afternoon or named Guvhog.

GuvHog

Quote from: longpig on October 15, 2017, 02:43:42 pm
Proves otherwise if you were born yesterday afternoon or named Guvhog.

You were proven wrong, just accept it. Even the poster above your last post agreed with me in a way.

hawg1221

You guys are seriously having this conversation after CK's first start against Alabama? 

thebignasty

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 15, 2017, 02:35:57 pm
Didn't say he was. Covers a lot of ground and with his frame is problematic for a 6' 230 lb linebacker to tackle solo.

Running he probably covers 2-3 yards per stride. Size, weight and momentum make up for lack of opening speed just due to taking 2-3 yards to tackle.

I agree. Big fella is a handful if he gets loose.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on October 15, 2017, 11:23:08 am
Kelley doesn't have MJ's ability to accelerate but he might be tougher to get down once he gets moving.

It took almost the entire Bama defense to get him to the ground a few times......I liked his toughness and spirit....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

longpig

Quote from: GuvHog on October 15, 2017, 04:41:09 pm
You were proven wrong, just accept it. Even the poster above your last post agreed with me in a way.

The only post ever that agrees with Guvhog and it makes zero sense. 

Rayzback

Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin