Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What are the prerequisites to be a P-5 Head Coach?

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, October 13, 2017, 08:04:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Here's an example of a job posting by the University of Oregon for a Head Football Coach.

QUALIFICATIONS:                       

-Bachelor's degree required. 
-Minimum 5 years' successful collegiate/professional coaching experience. 
-Excellent written, interpersonal and oral communication skills required. 
-Knowledge of NCAA rules and interpretations required. 
-The successful candidate must have the ability to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from a variety of diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated dedication to the full academic and social development of student-athletes. 
-Preference will be given to candidates who effectively communicate a plan of action for program improvement, have been affiliated with highly successful elite program(s), have demonstrated knowledge and implementation of offensive and/or defensive strategies, have demonstrated understanding of the University of Oregon Football program and can highlight consistent and significant skill development of student-athletes both individually and collectively.

RESPONSIBILITIES:

Inside: http://jobs.uoregon.edu/unclassified.php?id=4142
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Since you said that was Oregon's it should have:

-must be willing and able to kiss Phil Knights backside anytime he wants.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

damgoodestuffyhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 13, 2017, 08:04:42 pm
Here's an example of a job posting by the University of Oregon for a Head Football Coach.

QUALIFICATIONS:                       

Inside: http://jobs.uoregon.edu/unclassified.php?id=4142

Doesn't that ultimately mean anyone with a college degree who has been paid to coach football for at least five years?

East Clintwood

Quote from: damgoodestuffyhog on October 13, 2017, 08:20:19 pm
Doesn't that ultimately mean anyone with a college degree who has been paid to coach football for at least five years?

Yep.  All it really takes is for someone with hiring power to believe in you.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

ChicoHog

I heard on ESPNU college sports radio (XM) this week that Mississppi posted the Head Football coach job.  It said "Monday thru Friday with some nights and weekends".  Rick Neuheisel was laughing!  It's every night and weekend during football season!  And even a lot not during the season. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: damgoodestuffyhog on October 13, 2017, 08:20:19 pm

Read the responsibilities portion. No where does it say anything about winning games at any level. But come on now, we know that is a significant part of it.

At Oregon, it also doesn't require that the coach be a good fit with the culture of the University, but Michigan State has that requirement.

Bielema fits all of the requirements of the University of Oregon, as outlined in this job posting.

Should a certain level of winning record as a P-5 or G-5 Coach be a part of this job description?
Go Hogs Go!

damgoodestuffyhog

I only made the point to highlight how subjective a coaching search will ultimately be. I do agree, that thinking about these more subjective things ahead of time could point the search in the right direction. I guess my #1 priority would be somebody with a spread, rpo, or wrinkle style offense.

Partially because I believe it is easier to recruit for and partially because I think we need a complete reboot on the recruiting trail.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: damgoodestuffyhog on October 13, 2017, 08:56:33 pm
I only made the point to highlight how subjective a coaching search will ultimately be. I do agree, that thinking about these more subjective things ahead of time could point the search in the right direction. I guess my #1 priority would be somebody with a spread, rpo, or wrinkle style offense.

Partially because I believe it is easier to recruit for and partially because I think we need a complete reboot on the recruiting trail.

The type of offense that a coach embraces or a particular emphasis on one side of the ball or the other, could be unstated priorities in any job listing. Most of that comes from the AD or those who are influencing the AD's search criteria. I would love to hear some of the conversations between the Arkansas power brokers and Jeff Long right now.

If you read the qualifications and the responsibilities section of that job posting above, it reads like something that Jeff Long would have written because it states all of the values that he seems to desire of a HC at Arkansas. But that is just baseline, politically correct stuff that every AD would put in a job posting.

What I would like to know is what are the other requirements that P-5 AD's have written on a note pad in their desk, that they are really looking for when they go looking for a new HC?

I would think that every AD wants someone who can bring an exciting offense to the school because we all know that highly producing offenses tends to put butts in the bleachers. But they also need someone who embraces defense because defense more often than not, wins championships.

So what is the proper balance between the two and then how do they develop their list? Who fits that criteria? Who has a reasonable buy out? Who would be willing to make a move? Who is capable, by virtue of their particular football philosophy, is capable enough to come into their Division and Conference and make a difference?
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Great football coaches are larger than life. What is the common thread?  What is the difference, for example, between Nick Saban and Houston Nutt?  If you can answer that you can probably hire a good coach.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 14, 2017, 08:28:07 am
Great football coaches are larger than life. What is the common thread?  What is the difference, for example, between Nick Saban and Houston Nutt?  If you can answer that you can probably hire a good coach.

I would assume that this is what Long felt when he hired Bielema. In some ways, I think he was right because I absolutely love the way he runs the program off the field. It's a great program that really benefits the kids who are a part of the team. The change in that respect is the difference between day and night when compared to the Petrino or Nutt programs. And, I'm sure that Long thought that the results produced by Bielema's teams on the field would produce the same level of success.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

So what are we, and many others looking for in a HC?

An ability to win is obviously important to most folks, but what about a disciplined, respected program that stays out of trouble, graduation rates, recruiting averages, innovative offense, solid defensive philosophy, an ability to develop players, doing more with less, what are your most important requirements for a new HC?
Go Hogs Go!

Pigasaurus

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 15, 2017, 03:46:32 pm
So what are we, and many others looking for in a HC?

An ability to win is obviously important to most folks, but what about a disciplined, respected program that stays out of trouble, graduation rates, recruiting averages, innovative offense, solid defensive philosophy, an ability to develop players, doing more with less, what are your most important requirements for a new HC?

Don't ride your gf on your bike.
Don't run off Parade QB of year.
Don't get on social media blowing your pie hole until you have actually won something.
I could go on. ...oh yeah, don't smile!
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: pigasaurus on October 15, 2017, 04:04:38 pm
Don't ride your gf on your bike.
Don't run off Parade QB of year.
Don't get on social media blowing your pie hole until you have actually won something.
I could go on. ...oh yeah, don't smile!

I was actually asking for a serious thought about what you are looking for in a new HC as opposed to taking advantage of negative, low hanging fruit in terms of mistakes that have been made. You took the easy route.

What do you actually want in terms of a new HC as opposed to what we have had?
Go Hogs Go!

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 15, 2017, 04:07:10 pm
I was actually asking for a serious thought about what you are looking for in a new HC as opposed to taking advantage of negative, low hanging fruit in terms of mistakes that have been made. You took the easy route.

What do you actually want in terms of a new HC as opposed to what we have had?
I'd say after a year of settling in, establishing your system, hiring your coaches(IE, 1 yr. pass) To win 50% of your conference games over the following 2 years. Then after year 3 to compete for your division. Appoint staff per school regulations in the academic arena and meet minimal requirements set by the SEC. At all times are student athletes to maintain NCAA requirements. Off the field, policed by head coach and guidelines he sets forth according to our college requirements. Punishments according. IE. Get a public intox; 1st offense, coaches discipline, 2nd offense, teams discipline
3rd offense, pack n leave. Same with small amounts of marijuana possession. Misdemeanor crimes such as petty theft, the same. Felony crimes such as possession of cocaine,Heroin,pills.......These will be overseen by UofA tolerance guidelines. I think the NCAA s are that you are ineligible till court is done. Assault or and battery. Once again if misdemeanor, coaches disgression, then teams disgression. If Felony then the NCAA's rules apply.
Basic education requirements laid forth in the Ops initial post should also apply.

Tusks

At AR is should include, make chick salad out of chicken schit.

Holtz and Petrino could.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Ragnar Hogbrok

Washboard abs.  That way, 90% of insults that posters here use will be null and void and we can discuss football.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Buff

Relentless work ethic.  Without that, nothing else will matter.  It ain't a M-F 9-5 job.

Ragnar Hogbrok

The ability to put ego aside and perform continuous self-evaluation and periodic (i.e. weekly/gamely) outside evaluations from non-affiliated football professionals.

The ability and knowledge to hire and fire assistants when appropriate.

The understanding that mediocrity and lack of improvement are not acceptable.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.