Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What are some of your favorite moments of Frank Broyles?

Started by Sweet Feet, August 14, 2017, 02:44:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

Of course news has been spread about his sad passing. To keep his spirit alive, what are some great memories you have of Frank Broyles, either as a coach, an AD, or anything else?

PORKULATOR

Saw him in 05 jog down the steps of the stadium and hop over the railing just before the 4th quarter. Could others believe how spry he was. I remember that more than the game.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

When Frank was the HC, you knew you had a decent chance of winning.  He was conservative in his approach and depended on the defense and kicking game far more than coaches do today.  But you felt you had a shot, even when outmanned.  Frank understood the business side of the equation and made those moves he believed were necessary to provide the best opportunities for the overall sports dept at Arkansas.

So there wasn't a single or few moments for me.  Frank Broyles made millions of decisions on behalf of the University and was right far, far more often than not.  I felt he put as much forethought into deciding what play to run on 3rd and 3 and down by 6 points late in the game as he did on what conference we should align with.  Certainly he made bad decisions and I often felt that pain after the fact but few if any could have done as well as he over the approximately 60 years he led our program.  Rest in Peace, Frank.

ricepig

Meet with him in early August of 1976, I was intending to walk on and he explained the process. While I was a nobody, he took the time to meet with me, and I was always grateful for that. I decided against it and later met him again when one of the twins married a fraternity brother of mine. While he didn't recall my name, he remembered where I was from.

phadedhawg

never met him and he was already a legend by the time I came to an age of understanding.  I would probably say hiring Nolan Richardson when he did.  That was a bold move only equaled by pulling up stakes and leaving for the SEC.  Those are two huge moments for our program and he was instrumental in both of 'em. 

PossumFan

I remember him telling a story: After a particularly difficult and frustrating game, he was leaving the stadium and bumped into a woman. Being the proper Southern gentleman, he said, "I'm sorry. No offense (ah-fence) ma'am." And she responded: "Yeah, and no defense either!"

bolo

I spoke to him in passing in the lobby of  BUD WALTON I said hey Frank, he looked at me kinda funny and said Go Hogs.
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

Inhogswetrust

August 14, 2017, 05:33:06 pm #7 Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:47:31 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: bolo on August 14, 2017, 05:25:45 pm
I spoke to him in passing in the lobby of  BUD WALTON I said hey Frank, he looked at me kinda funny and said Go Hogs.

Kind of the same for me. The last time I saw him he was coming out of a restaurant with a group while at the Sugar Bowl against OSU. He looked at us as we passed and said "Go Hogs".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: phadedhawg on August 14, 2017, 03:39:42 pm
never met him and he was already a legend by the time I came to an age of understanding.  I would probably say hiring Nolan Richardson when he did.  That was a bold move only equaled by pulling up stakes and leaving for the SEC.  Those are two huge moments for our program and he was instrumental in both of 'em. 

He wasn't just instrumental in them. They happened because of him!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Masshog

Sat behind and slightly to his left at the Citadel game in 1992....   watched his coloring progress from pink to deep red pissed off by the fourth quarter.  Lord he was pissed.  Figured/hoped that was it for Crowe. 
My feets hurt.

WilsonHog

August 14, 2017, 05:56:11 pm #10 Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:43:44 pm by WilsonHog
I had the privilege in 1995-96 to work in the Sports Information Department at UA. Two memories of Coach Broyles come to mind.

I was in the office one Saturday night waiting for results from a tournament our golf team was playing at in Hawaii. The football Hogs happened to be playing Vanderbilt that night, in Nashville, and I was also listening to the game. I was the only one in the office, and most of the lights were out. From behind me, I heard that unmistakable Georgia drawl: "What's the score?" We had a short conversation; I wish I could remember what was said, but I instantly went from being a 32-year old grown man to a 10-year old kid. (By that point, watching or listening to our games made Coach Broyles a nervous wreck. He was often known to leave his box at the beginning of a football game and just walk the Fayetteville streets until the score was final).

A couple of months later, I worked the Carquest Bowl game down in Miami. Following the game, I rode back to our hotel in a car with Coach Broyles and Orville Henry. I grew up reading Mr. Henry's columns, game stories and "OH's Notepad" every week, religiously. To actually be in their company and listen to them talk about the Razorbacks...well, that was tall cotton for a boy from northeast Arkansas.

BaggerHog

I feel as part of my life is now gone. As a person who lived and died with Razorback football during the glory years of the 60's this is a sad day.

I want to post part of a cover story that Dan Jenkins of Sports Illustrated wrote I think in 1965.

"There is a special kind of hysteria in Arkansas now. It is the kind that comes only with a winning college football team. It dabs small, rosy blotches of pride on the cheeks of everyone. And it spreads like measles. It happened in Oklahoma with Bud Wilkinson, in Iowa with Forest Evashevski, in Mississippi with Johnny Vaught, in Texas with Darrell Royal, and in Alabama with Bear Bryant. A man comes along--the right man at the right time--to organize things, rally the people, put fire in the athletes, build a winning tradition, and suddenly there is a empire. Arkansas is the newest, and old familiar cries--'Boomer, Sooner, ''Hook' um Horns,' 'Roll Tide'--are being drowned out by a curious new one: 'Woo Pig! Sooey.' And coach Frank Broyles --you will just have to simply forgive this--is the Sooey with the fringe on top. God love Frank Broyles, but don't cash his personal check. Frame it"

Chris Schenkle once told the story of how he collected college caps but they had to have been worn by the head coach during a game. He said Frank ran him down even after the bitter disappointment of the 69 Texas game in order to give him his.   

durock

I saw him in the New Orleans airport in the early 80s.Now at this point in my life I wouldn't have recognized any of our past governors, but I sure recognized HIM!The concourse was empty so I hollered "how'd we do coach", he answered  "we won! Go Hogs!
Another thing, if he's doing color on an old game, I recognize his voice immediately.

Misty Mountain Hog

Two memories of Coach Broyles stand out to me. My dad, who instilled a deep love of the Hogs in me told me a story from the 1960's. My dad was watching a practice, and had a new 8 MM camera and was filming practice. Coach Broyles told some of his managers, "Go offer that kid ten dollars for that film, and if he won't take it, come get me". Well, there was no way my dad was parting with that film. Sure enough, coach Broyles sauntered up to him and engaged him with small talk. " Where are you from?, are you a Hog fan?" etc. My dad explained that he had been a hog fan for life. Coach Broyles then said, " I was just making sure you weren't from Texas", thanked him for coming to practice and said "Have a nice day." My dad said he was extremely gracious, but a real presence. I also had the pleasure of meeting Coach in the early 90's at a pre-basketball party. I was chatting with a younger guy who was in the athletic administration at Tulsa University. When Coach Broyles walked in, the guy said I have to go meet Coach, It's not every day you get to meet a legend. And this was not a Hog fan. I stood and waited until things had cleared, and went and told him how much I appreciated, not only what he had done for the university, but the state as a whole. He was very nice, and spent time talking to a 30 y/o kid without deep pockets. I have had the pleasure of meeting two sitting presidents in Bill Clinton, and George Bush Jr., and I can honestly say It was much more intimidating meeting Frank Broyles. The guy just had such an aura about him. He was the quintessential southern gentleman, and a great ambassador to our state.

Sivad

Watching him bring his players on that great 1969 team up on the stage at the Greek Theatre pep rally before the Game of the Century and call the Hogs.

MontanaHog

In 1977 after we beat Houston to earn the automatic bid to the NCAA basketball tournament, my friends and I were hanging around the Summit to savor the moment. Almost everyone had left, but then I spotted him going up some stairs from the court level. I ran over to him and said "Coach Broyles!  Thank you for bringing Eddie Sutton to Arkansas!"  He shook my hand and said, "Isn't he somethin'?"

What he did as athletic director dwarfs his incredible coaching accomplishments.

MoHog74

Fall, 1970.  I, along with quite a few other students, camped out all night to get tickets to the Texas game that would be played in Austin.  As you may remember, the 1969 Texas game in Fayetteville had been labeled the Game of the Century; so enthusiasm for all football games that year was tremendous.  Anyway, about 1:00 am, Coach Broyles showed up and addressed the crowd.  It was a magical moment, with him leading in calling the hogs before he left.  47 years have gone by and I still remember it like it was yesterday.  Now the actual game in Austin was a different matter.  I choose not to remember anything about it.  WPS.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Friend of mine and myself were hanging around after a football game one evening during the Hootie era. He came out and stood and talked to us for about 20 minutes. Very personable. RIP CFB Truly an Arkansas Legend
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Hogwop

We had dinner for my mother's 50th birthday at the Catfish Hole and took up pretty much the whole back room. After dinner, when several people had left, in walks Frank with a rather large group. He came up to our table and said something to the effect of "You all have as big a family as I do" and chit chatted for a bit. He was gracious enough to take a picture with my cousin's little girl, who was decked out in her Razorback Cheerleader outfit.

RIP Frank and thank you for everything you did for the U of A and Arkansas in general.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

rupert

Frank visited on-campus living groups in the early 70's when the team's record wasn't all that good....he would repeatedly say " we just have to get bettah"----it became an oft-repeated line at U of A...

Also remember him telling Bud Campbell on the coach's show that 'we just have to get bettah"

DLUXHOG

In 1975, I was a freshman on the hill.    Took my girlfriend (wife now) to Drake airfield to get her on a plane to visit her folks in Dallas.    I parked and walked her inside the terminal and saw her board the plane.   I went outside by the chain link fence to watch her plane take off and a private plane pulls up pretty near the fence and Frank walks off and right through the gate where I was standing.   He simply said "Hi son" to me as he walked through the fence gate.    I also was at the last bowl game he ever coached (Cotton Bowl... Hogs victory against Georgia 31-10...)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Mike Irwin

One day Frank was mad because a Gazette-Democrat reporter had ripped him in a column. Frank didn't mind being criticized but he felt like this column was misleading. He thought John Brummett had written it. So Frank was going off on Brummett when one of his associate AD's said, "Coach, that wasn't Brummett. Max Brantley wrote that."

"BRANTLEY?" Frank thundered. "WHY NEVER MIND THEN. I DON'T CARE WHAT HE THINKS. HE'S A DUMMY."

pignparadise

Saw Frank in his green jacket at the 1999 Masters. I was with a friend from Georgia. I asked him if he wanted to meet Coach.  He said he won't give you the time of day. Boy was he wrong. Frank talked to us about 20 minutes. Turns out he knew someone from my friends hometown. Later my friend said that's one if the nicest guys I ever met.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

bolo

Quote from: Misty Mountain Hog on August 14, 2017, 06:26:37 pm
Two memories of Coach Broyles stand out to me. My dad, who instilled a deep love of the Hogs in me told me a story from the 1960's. My dad was watching a practice, and had a new 8 MM camera and was filming practice. Coach Broyles told some of his managers, "Go offer that kid ten dollars for that film, and if he won't take it, come get me". Well, there was no way my dad was parting with that film. Sure enough, coach Broyles sauntered up to him and engaged him with small talk. " Where are you from?, are you a Hog fan?" etc. My dad explained that he had been a hog fan for life. Coach Broyles then said, " I was just making sure you weren't from Texas", thanked him for coming to practice and said "Have a nice day." My dad said he was extremely gracious, but a real presence. I also had the pleasure of meeting Coach in the early 90's at a pre-basketball party. I was chatting with a younger guy who was in the athletic administration at Tulsa University. When Coach Broyles walked in, the guy said I have to go meet Coach, It's not every day you get to meet a legend. And this was not a Hog fan. I stood and waited until things had cleared, and went and told him how much I appreciated, not only what he had done for the university, but the state as a whole. He was very nice, and spent time talking to a 30 y/o kid without deep pockets. I have had the pleasure of meeting two sitting presidents in Bill Clinton, and George Bush Jr., and I can honestly say It was much more intimidating meeting Frank Broyles. The guy just had such an aura about him. He was the quintessential southern gentleman, and a great ambassador to our state.
yes sir awesome
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Sweet Feet on August 14, 2017, 02:44:14 pm
Of course news has been spread about his sad passing. To keep his spirit alive, what are some great memories you have of Frank Broyles, either as a coach, an AD, or anything else?

Cotton bowl win over Georgia.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogfan58

Growing up my parents and grandparents used to talk about UA games all the time, some they saw in person, and some they saw on TV. They often said that one of the most exciting games they had ever seen was the 1965 Texas game, where we got ahead 20-0, Texas comes back to lead 24-20, then we march down to score late to win 27-24. I was too young to remember the game, so when I was about 14-15, I wrote the UA Athletic Dept, and talked about growing up hearing about that game, wondering if there was some way to find it on video tape or something. I talked about my parents and grandparents being from Arkansas (we lived in Houston) and how our whole family were life-long Hog fans.

About 2 weeks later I come from school and waiting there is this huge package. Inside are 4 canisters of film and a letter from Coach Broyles saying this was the best he could do, it was the coaches game-film (offense and defense, 1st half and 2nd half). He said it was an exciting game, he remembered it like was yesterday (this was around 1972) and just send the film back whenever. We got out a projector and watched the film, maybe that night and the next couple.

I still can't believe he would do that. RIP Coach!
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

staffhog

In 1998, I think, we were playing SMU at the Cotton Bowl.  I had my entire family minus my brother who was arriving on a flight from Atlanta at DFW.  As the first few passengers came through the gate Coach Broyles appeared and my Mom says, "Let's call the Hogs".  So we did.  Coach came over to us and mentioned he had met my brother Ken on the plane and then proceeded to lead us in a 2nd Hog call.  It was a good one and the crowd in the area stood in either disbelief or respect at what they had just witnessed.

SoCal Hog

I have had the pleasure of seeing Coach Broyles twice:

1. In the early 60s I went to work with my Dad in his downtown Little Rock office. I was maybe 6 or 7. We got on the elevator and there were two others on it. They both looked down at me and smiled. We got off on Dad's floor and he gasped and asked me if I knew who they were and he told me they were Frank Broyles and Lance Alworth.

2. After the 1985 Holiday Bowl we were walking back to our car and Coach Broyles and another man (don't know who) were coming toward us. I said "Good game, Coach Broyles." He smiled, grabbed me by the arm, and said, "Oh it was a GREAT game!!"

RIP, Coach. You were the best.
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

LoneStarHawg

This was ten plus years ago or so. I was in school working at FCC in the pro shop. Usually when the course was dead, we would sneak out and play a few holes. I was playing by myself and on 7 I caught up to Coach Broyles who was playing alone as well. I asked if I could play with him and he obliged. There wasn't a lot of chatting as we were both trying to get in 9 before if got dark. We get on the 9 tee box, Coach hits a screaming worm burner, it zig zags all the way to the back of the green, hits the pin like a rocket and drops in. Hole in One. He was grinning ear to ear and knew he got away with one! He mentioned something along the lines of "no pictures on the scorecard". Pretty cool moment.

bolo

Quote from: LoneStarHawg on August 15, 2017, 11:22:18 am
This was ten plus years ago or so. I was in school working at FCC in the pro shop. Usually when the course was dead, we would sneak out and play a few holes. I was playing by myself and on 7 I caught up to Coach Broyles who was playing alone as well. I asked if I could play with him and he obliged. There wasn't a lot of chatting as we were both trying to get in 9 before if got dark. We get on the 9 tee box, Coach hits a screaming worm burner, it zig zags all the way to the back of the green, hits the pin like a rocket and drops in. Hole in One. He was grinning ear to ear and knew he got away with one! He mentioned something along the lines of "no pictures on the scorecard". Pretty cool moment.
awesome
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ