Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Regarding Whaley . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, August 13, 2017, 02:49:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kingt

On my phone excuse my spelling

Whaley may have a bit of trouble softening up the D early in the game.  He may be more prone to getting hurt used as the main back.  But, I believe if he can stand the pain and has the stamina to run for 4 quarters, say 30+ carries in some games, he will do a fine job.  I want to see him against a tired defense because I expect he will exploit it.

With BB showing some real interest in the practices and noting individual players who have stood out which I hope means he has actually watched them practice and graded in his own mind, we will be a better team.  BB interested will be worth 2 additional wins for us this season.  Also alerting the vets that underlings are noticed and will be utilized can mean a lot to the overall quality of the team.  Just knowing you might actually be noticed if you work hard and make plays will encourage the team overall. 

longpig

Quote from: 12247 on August 13, 2017, 08:08:25 pm
Whaley may have a bit of trouble softening up the D early in the game.  He may be more prone to getting hurt used as the main back.  But, I believe if he can stand the pain and has the stamina to run for 4 quarters, say 30+ carries in some games, he will do a fine job.  I want to see him against a tired defense because I expect he will exploit it.

With BB showing some real interest in the practices and noting individual players who have stood out which I hope means he has actually watched them practice and graded in his own mind, we will be a better team.  BB interested will be worth 2 additional wins for us this season.  Also alerting the vets that underlings are noticed and will be utilized can mean a lot to the overall quality of the team.  Just knowing you might actually be noticed if you work hard and make plays will encourage the team overall.

Based off who else is on the RB committee, it's doubtful Whaley will be required to soften up D's solo and carry 30+.  Not that he's unable if needed to. He'll most likely get the majority of carries, 20+ on occasion tops.
Don't be scared, be smart.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: kingt on August 13, 2017, 07:58:57 pm
MuskeegoHogFan what if I told you I was a former HS coach 🤔🤔
I'm not a former high school coach, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. That being said, Whaley will be one of the top rbs in the SEC this year.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on August 13, 2017, 06:03:52 pm
Whaley will be a serviceble SEC back. Heres how I would grade him in comparison with some of our recent rrbs. DMac-once in a lifetime. Felix and Knile - elite. Alex and JWill - great SEC rbs. Rawleigh Williams- good SEC back. Whaley-serviceable SEC back. Whaley has a chance to go up one notch this year based on more carries but I just don't see the explosiveness or moves to advance him to a great SEC back.

I can agree with this. Whaley didn't jump out to me last season. I saw a solid back that's going to take what the o line gives. It was onnly his first season so he might be a more explosive player this year.

PorkRinds

Then we'd know why its former, and why you never coached college.

onebadrubi

This is a post so the OP can come back at the first sign of not a heisman winning back he can say he told you so.  Completely off base and just flat out incorrect from ANYTHING we've seen out of Whaley.

oldhawg

I hate to say anything ---- but I will.

Barring injury, Whaley will be one of the best backs in the SEC this year.

IMO

Deep Shoat

I'd say it makes sense that you are a FORMER he coach...
All Gas, No Brakes!

kingt

PorkRinds let's keep this about Whaley. Most posters who disagree with others on here even if their statements are valid or just expressing their own opinions tend to get crucified. I didn't come for that, I stated my opinion and I will gladly read yours on Whaley if you care to offer it.

kingt

Once again Deep shoat I would love to hear your opinion on this DISCUSSION board.

wildhogman

I've seen enough highlights of his runs last year against some good defenses. He will be a better then average to good SEC back. He may not be elite, but in CBB scheme we don't need elite.  We need team players running between tackles hard making the D pay for every tackle. I think Whaley and his band of brothers (fellow rb's) will do this very nicely. We will be able to run the ball in the 4th qtr this year
They may not be Dmac or FJones but they will get the job done none the less. 

kingt

Hollywood_HOGan45

wildhogman

Quote from: kingt on August 13, 2017, 10:32:09 pm
I agree wildhogman
no actually you don't agree. See I think whaley is perfectly capable of pulling off the home run. He may not be DMac but he can tote the rock. The experience he gained last year will pay off and the difference in him will be night and day. He wont get close to Most career yards in SEC, but he will get plenty of break aways. plenty of yards and plenty of TD's. Along with our other RB's. our play action will be deadly because the D has to respect the fact we can get a lot of yards really fast just running at them.

kingt

He will be a top 3 back in the SEC. I'll give him 1,200 yds with 12tds. That's about the norm for a BB running back. Never did I bash the kid I'm just saying don't expect McFadden esque numbers. We tend to finally land a 4 or 5 star and instantly annoint them as the best ever. He had similar recruiting rankings as Williams and Collins but I think they are better. I love the hogs and our players and if I can't compare former players to new ones wth. As stated earlier you have McFadden and Felix, next Knile, Williams and Collins, Devwhaw and Rawleigh would be the next tier.

murthage

HAWGSDAILY, 3 February 2016

The Razorbacks signed seven players with Alabama offers, including Whaley.

"In my opinion, I have recruited a lot of good running backs, but he (Whaley) is as gifted as any of the ones I have recruited," Bielema said. "He is strong, he is physical, he has a nose for the football and comes from an incredible family."

Sorry Wiz and Muskogee, but my money is on Bielema's analysis.  Also, I don't understand the purpose of these negative comments, especially under the current circumstances concerning RWIII and the state of the Arkansas running game.  I am very optimistic about all of our tunning backs based on Enos' game management skills.

EastexHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 13, 2017, 07:53:26 pm
I have a feeling after that first game dumb darn like this post won't be a big issue. Whaley will shut down the haters.

Broderick Green could run for 200 yards against Florida A&M.  In fact, his mom probably could.  We'll need to wait to see what players and the team do against a real college football program to prove anyone right or wrong.

kingt

Hogopolis

Whaley runs hard between the tackles.    Is tough.  And will be a very very good RB for us. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

southeasthog

Quote from: kingt on July 01, 2015, 12:24:22 pm
I was a volunteer coach for his 9th grade teams few years back. He is as advertised, great player but Blytheville is a tough place to make it out of however that town has alot of good talent.

Just thought I would put your credentials out there in case anyone doubted you.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jjdlc on August 13, 2017, 05:59:26 pm
Can not wait for the season to start, so people can actually have something to gripe about instead of making darn up.

After the season starts unfortunately they will still make darn up................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: murthage on August 13, 2017, 10:58:16 pm
HAWGSDAILY, 3 February 2016

The Razorbacks signed seven players with Alabama offers, including Whaley.

"In my opinion, I have recruited a lot of good running backs, but he (Whaley) is as gifted as any of the ones I have recruited," Bielema said. "He is strong, he is physical, he has a nose for the football and comes from an incredible family."

Sorry Wiz and Muskogee, but my money is on Bielema's analysis.  Also, I don't understand the purpose of these negative comments, especially under the current circumstances concerning RWIII and the state of the Arkansas running game.  I am very optimistic about all of our tunning backs based on Enos' game management skills.

Don't include me in this. I believe that Whaley is going to be a great RB for us...the next 1,000+ yard rusher at Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 13, 2017, 07:46:20 pm
That says it all.

You are imminently qualified to evaluate Div I RB's over the ability of our staff, who have how many years of combined experience?

Exactly. Just because a dog trainer watches a lot of dogs do stuff doesn't mean they are a veterinarian and can do surgery on them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: kingt on August 13, 2017, 07:40:47 pm
I agree with Wizard. No I am not a collegiate coach but I watch a ton of football. Some players pop at you on film and Whaley doesn't. I think he will be a good college back but not a star. You guys need to understand that a guy can rush for 1,300 yds and still not be considered a star. Like stated above go back and watch films of J-will and Collins during their freshman seasons and look at the differences. It's more about running styles and they have NFL running styles compared to Whaley. After watching Whaley's HS film I saw that his style might not translate to star potential more so than quality back potential. The only RB I can honestly say I was wrong about was Fournette, he didn't blow me away as a freshman on film but he took his game to another level the next 2 seasons.

You realize the guy being discussed in this thread has only film as a freshman don't you.

Nosboar Accubond

CBB has said there were times last season when the staff debated if RWIII or DW should be the #1 back...

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: 12247 on August 13, 2017, 08:08:25 pm

If DW has to carry the ball 30+ times its going to be a longggg season, and he'll never stay 100% healthy.

DW has said himself he is excited to have our depth at RB so he doesn't have to shoulder the load alone. He will be better for it and have a big season.

rljjr

ooooh!!! I have a novel idea!!! Let's see how the season plays out!!! Wow, what a concept.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rljjr on August 14, 2017, 08:23:50 am
ooooh!!! I have a novel idea!!! Let's see how the season plays out!!! Wow, what a concept.

Unfortunately in today's world some people want everything immediately.

hawg66

The problem with the OP isn't having  an opinion, it's mainly about voicing it before a game has been played. Whaley's numbers would rank him in the top five for freshman RB's in Arkansas history, or close to it. Let's see how he does as the feature back before we decide he can't handle it.

Threads like these are why the season can't start soon enough.

hawganatic

Quote from: kingt on August 13, 2017, 10:56:33 pm
He will be a top 3 back in the SEC. I'll give him 1,200 yds with 12tds. That's about the norm for a BB running back. Never did I bash the kid I'm just saying don't expect McFadden esque numbers.

Where has anybody said DW needs to have McFadden numbers this season?  Everybody on this board knows McFadden is one of the best RBs in the history of the game, and nobody is holding Whaley up to that standard.

In your previous post you state that Whaley won't be a star.  Since when is a top 3 back in the SEC NOT a star?

It's like your arguing against yourself right now.  Will be interesting to see which side of you wins out....

HamSammich

I don't know if Whaley is good or great or any of that other nonsense you are all arguing about like girls at a tea party.

I do know that CBB has built a running machine everywhere he has gone and has done it here as well. Everyone wants to say this is RB U.... well the NFL doesn't agree.

This is Running Game U.

Whaley or someone or all aregoing to run and run and run this year and then run some more. And still run some more. Worry more about our linebacker depth and talent in a 3-4... that should give you nightmares.... not the running game.

Hog Fan from Camden

WOW!  All I can say about this thread!

hawgmasta

I guess we'll have to wait and see, I feel pretty good about him.

Dude was the #1 rated RB out of Texas, that's no small feat; both of his parents (I think) were on track scholarship at Baylor(?) or some other Texas school.

He's got the size, pedigree, and returning experience we just need the o-line to open up holes and it's all gravy baby.

supersaint

I coached youth football for 9 years.  Whaley is outstanding. 
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

tbhogfan

My biggest worry for Whaley (or any RB moving from a "change of pace" role to a featured role) is durability.  He was a great fit as the "change of pace" RB behind RW3 last year, and time will tell if he will be as good a fit as the featured back.   
Go Hogs!

jgphillips3

Dude.  Wiz...come on.  Maybe he won't be DMAC or Felix but I see a guy who could break the top 5-10 backs in Razorback history before he's done IF he keeps developing.  Ronnie freaking Wingo...horrible comparison.  James Rouse might be closer...kind of...but DW is different.  Wait till after the season and we'll revisit.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 14, 2017, 06:55:02 am
You realize the guy being discussed in this thread has only film as a freshman don't you.

Pleeeeease....details details...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

WizardofhOgZ

Just wanted to revisit and wrap up this thread by reminding everyone that I didn't say Whaley "would fail", or will not be productive for us. I believe he will continue to be in the RB rotation, and will make a solid contribution.

I just think that when we look back 2 or 3 years from now, he will not have been our most productive RB in that time frame (i.e., "premier back", as stated in the OP).

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 26, 2017, 07:32:47 pm
Just wanted to revisit and wrap up this thread by reminding everyone that I didn't say Whaley "would fail", or will not be productive for us. I believe he will continue to be in the RB rotation, and will make a solid contribution.

I just think that when we look back 2 or 3 years from now, he will not have been our most productive RB in that time frame (i.e., "premier back", as stated in the OP).

Comparisons to Wingo is probably why you received the response you did.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on August 26, 2017, 07:36:04 pm
Comparisons to Wingo is probably why you received the response you did.
Well, that and the fact that he's just plain wrong.
All Gas, No Brakes!

greenEGnHAWGS

PorkSoda

I don't watch a ton of football, and I haven't seen the other backs so its hard to say.  but while Whaley may not be Dmac, I do think he will be our #1 rusher until he graduates.  He's got all the tools to be an every down back.

Jarius Wright wasn't the flashiest of the Warren 3, but he has certainly been the most productive and consistent.  don't under estimate blue collar guys like Wright and whaley.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

daprospecta

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on August 13, 2017, 05:01:52 pm
Whaley will be one of the razorback greats of all time before he leaves here. Get your popcorn ready.
I'm not sure.  I watched McFadden/Felix first runs in 2adays. I remember thinking, "We are going to have a good year" especially when Felix had me tackling air a few times haha.  I think Devwah will have a solid career but on the flipside, Mitch Petrus got spanked every day his freshman year in practice and went on to start on a super bowl winning team.  In other words....who knows? He could be special.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: daprospecta on August 26, 2017, 08:02:43 pm
I'm not sure.  I watched McFadden/Felix first runs in 2adays. I remember thinking, "We are going to have a good year" especially when Felix had me tackling air a few times haha.  I think Devwah will have a solid career but on the flipside, Mitch Petrus got spanked every day his freshman year in practice and went on to start on a super bowl winning team.  In other words....who knows? He could be special.

Who are you?

Bacons Rebellion

If the other running backs move past Whaley, I think we'll be in real good shape.

daprospecta

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on August 26, 2017, 08:08:11 pm
Who are you?
A former player.  Everyone wants to be anonymous online right?

Bubba's Bruisers

Zero concern with Whaley. 

More interested to see what Hayden looks like this season.  He's getting a lot of hype.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HamSammich

Whaley will orca-strate  an over whalming year.