Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scrimmage Recap

Started by Drew Amman, August 12, 2017, 10:13:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ZERO

I think it's pretty cool. Cole Kelley is a badass. I can't wait for him to have the experience to start. I've never been so excited about a 2* player. Talk about a complete steal.

More importantly, more foot injury stuff. I wonder what the hell is going on with that.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Hoggish1

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on August 12, 2017, 11:56:09 pm
4* on ESPN, 3 on 247 composite... A lot of the LSU guys/fans were upset they didn't go after him. Offer wise though, still considered a steal.

As for the foot injuries, CBB stated it's normal. We might have had a bit more bad luck, but he mentioned one team this year has had 6 this year since spring. Players getting bigger/faster, shoes getting lighter, maybe not as much support.

AND No. 2 punter.  Could see some surprises out of punt formation...

Hogopolis

He may be the #1 punter.   

niels_boar

What was the deal with Jordan Jones?  I was pretty pumped by the reports about him on the Razorback Training Camp program.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

bennyl08

Quote from: niels_boar on August 13, 2017, 02:49:00 pm
What was the deal with Jordan Jones?  I was pretty pumped by the reports about him on the Razorback Training Camp program.

What was the deal? He's very fast, and a very smooth runner. Somebody we've had an offer to since he was a sophomore in HS and somebody that Bama pursued very hard as well. Speaking of Bama, JJ's playing style is very reminiscent of Amari Cooper. Not quite as physically imposing as say a Julio or a Green, but Cooper was just as productive as those two and is right up there with them at the NFL level as well.

He's listed among the scariest offensive players to defend against and has proven to be a deep threat in the scrimmages so far including iirc a 60 yard reception this most recent scrimmage.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hobhog

Coach B slammed him after the scrimmage. Said he needed to grow up?

Redhogs

Quote from: hobhog on August 13, 2017, 03:20:35 pm
Anything said about why Brandon Martin did not play?
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hobhog

Quote from: Redhogs on August 13, 2017, 03:30:11 pm

Think I read had back issue....

Kevin

Cbb said he needs to grow up
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

longpig

Quote from: hobhog on August 13, 2017, 03:20:35 pm

Has been less than coachable, apparently.
Don't be scared, be smart.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Redhogs on August 13, 2017, 03:30:11 pm
He was dressed out on the sideline so he might have played him the first half.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: longpig on August 13, 2017, 06:11:05 pm
Has been less than coachable, apparently.

Which coach taught him to catch 60 yard touchdown passes? 

longpig

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on August 13, 2017, 07:58:15 pm

Smith.  Coach Micheal Smith.
Don't be scared, be smart.

presidenthog

Quote from: longpig on August 13, 2017, 09:27:49 pm
Smith.  Coach Micheal Smith.

Our best assistant coach I might add.

onebadrubi

Who taught daily to hit a golf ball?  Some things are a gift

wildhogman

Might be they think he should be catching 60 yarders a lot more. Maybe he doesn't use the proper technique to beat a Jam at the line. Maybe his routes aren't crisp allowing a DB to close to fast. Maybe he doesn't give enough effort blocking down field when we run. Could be anything. But I would hope a WR at a D1 school can catch a ball, even one thrown 60 yards.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 13, 2017, 09:33:25 pm
Who taught daily to hit a golf ball?  Some things are a gift

Exactly.   Coach to a player's strengths. Don't ask a kid to do something he's incapable of. I feel another Dominique Reed/Korliss Marshall coach-player relationship forming.  Arkansas kid with all world speed and atheltic ability who doesnt fit the "culture."   Be akin to telling Daily he has to play a round without using his driver.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on August 14, 2017, 07:48:47 am
Exactly.   Coach to a player's strengths. Don't ask a kid to do something he's incapable of. I feel another Dominique Reed/Korliss Marshall coach-player relationship forming.  Arkansas kid with all world speed and atheltic ability who doesnt fit the "culture."   Be akin to telling Daily he has to play a round without using his driver.

Wow this mentality of jumping to conclusions and blaming the coaches is really getting ridiculous.
CBB runs a tight program, he expects a lot out his players, we don't challenge for the Fulmer cup anymore, and if a player struggles with the rules it must be the coaches fault. There is no I in team, the sooner these guys figure that out the sooner they can contribute with the GOD given talent they have.

The "culture" you so despise, is what makes these boys into men that are accountable and productive young men, ready to contribute to society in whatever they may venture into after college, yeah terrible I know that we should ask so much from them.

They should just run fast and catch footballs. sarc/
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

RazorPiggie

Quote from: ZERO on August 12, 2017, 11:25:00 pm
I think it's pretty cool. Cole Kelley is a badass. I can't wait for him to have the experience to start. I've never been so excited about a 2* player. Talk about a complete steal.

More importantly, more foot injury stuff. I wonder what the hell is going on with that.

2*???

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: woodrow hog call on August 14, 2017, 08:09:52 am

Wow this mentality of jumping to conclusions and blaming the coaches is really getting ridiculous.
CBB runs a tight program, he expects a lot out his players, we don't challenge for the Fulmer cup anymore, and if a player struggles with the rules it must be the coaches fault. There is no I in team, the sooner these guys figure that out the sooner they can contribute with the GOD given talent they have.

The "culture" you so despise, is what makes these boys into men that are accountable and productive young men, ready to contribute to society in whatever they may venture into after college, yeah terrible I know that we should ask so much from them.

They should just run fast and catch footballs. sarc/

So you are suggesting a guy can't make it through college and be productive members of society without the tutelage of CBB? Wow ok. 

ZERO

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 14, 2017, 08:16:23 am
2*???

I never check ESPN, so I don't know about their rating, but Cole was rated a 2* by Scout and Rivals throughout almost his entire recruitment. They may have changed it toward the end, but I used to check them all the time thinking surely they're about to re-evaluate him (or evaluate him for the first time if 2* is just their default) and it seemed to never happen. Glad to hear he got some respect if that isn't the case.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on August 14, 2017, 08:28:14 am
So you are suggesting a guy can't make it through college and be productive members of society without the tutelage of CBB? Wow ok. 

No that's not what I said, but if you don't understand that being held accountable and instilling some discipline is a big part of helping a young man grow up, then I don't know what to tell you.

I guess we should have one set of rules for most players and another set for the guys from in state that can run really fast? Yeah I can see how that would be a good thing.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: woodrow hog call on August 14, 2017, 09:26:03 am
No that's not what I said, but if you don't understand that being held accountable and instilling some discipline is a big part of helping a young man grow up, then I don't know what to tell you.

I guess we should have one set of rules for most players and another set for the guys from in state that can run really fast? Yeah I can see how that would be a good thing.

Has it been stated that he broke team rules?

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on August 14, 2017, 10:24:17 am
Has it been stated that he broke team rules?

"What was the deal with Jordan Jones?  I was pretty pumped by the reports about him on the Razorback Training Camp program."

"Coach B slammed him after the scrimmage. Said he needed to grow up?"

colbs

First off none of us know the complete details.  He mentioned that he needs to grow up but later said he was a good kid.  I took it as it's Jordan Jones time to step up but he hasn't 100% bought in yet.  I think as a coach you have to push a player to grow.  I think he knows the sky is the limit for him and he's just trying to get him to reach his potential.

As far as saying that BB isn't playing to his strengths I completely disagree.  With Marshall it was off the field stuff that kept him away from the field.  You really can't blame BB for that.  Then Reed had problems showing up on time, gaining weight, learning the playbook, etc.  At some point you have to have a player that can do more than one thing.  If he only ran streaks then the DB can play him deep every time.  They tried a sweep with him and he fumbled.   What if you had a RB that couldn't block? It doesn't take long for the defense to realize when that player is in they are probably running the ball. Also, if you make an exception for one player with the rules then you are asking for all kinds of problems.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: colbs on August 14, 2017, 11:59:16 am
First off none of us know the complete details.  He mentioned that he needs to grow up but later said he was a good kid.  I took it as it's Jordan Jones time to step up but he hasn't 100% bought in yet.  I think as a coach you have to push a player to grow.  I think he knows the sky is the limit for him and he's just trying to get him to reach his potential.

As far as saying that BB isn't playing to his strengths I completely disagree.  With Marshall it was off the field stuff that kept him away from the field.  You really can't blame BB for that.  Then Reed had problems showing up on time, gaining weight, learning the playbook, etc.  At some point you have to have a player that can do more than one thing.  If he only ran streaks then the DB can play him deep every time.  They tried a sweep with him and he fumbled.   What if you had a RB that couldn't block? It doesn't take long for the defense to realize when that player is in they are probably running the ball. Also, if you make an exception for one player with the rules then you are asking for all kinds of problems.
I listened to the audio feed and Agree with the previous poster. Coach said he has some growing up to do but sounds like he likes Jones.

RazorPiggie

Who is this Daily yall keep talking about?

hawgfan4life

Daily won a few tournaments and had some flashes, but what did he do over the long term?  There are a ton of golfers that came in about the same time as Daily that were never real flashy, but made nice careers for themselves without the drama.  We don't need any flash in the pan players that can't be depended on when it counts.  We have enough talented WR prospects that we don't need to give playing time to any player that doesn't have their stuff together.  Drew Morgan would have never gotten playing time in front of Jones based on ability alone.  However, I wouldn't trade production for potential.  Playing players on potential too much and too long will bite you in the long run.  I will take the coaches decision every time.  He is the one there and seeing what they are doing.  My guess is the coaches want the players on the field that best gives them the chance to be successful.  Sometimes that means NOT playing the better athlete and player.

ricepig

onebadrubi

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 14, 2017, 12:25:18 pm

the sober version of Daly that likes to practice

Cure

Wouldn't read too much into it, he's pushing the kid to live up to his potential, as they need him to produce this season.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 14, 2017, 12:25:18 pm

You know...that kid related to Mallet and Kniles.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Tusks

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on August 14, 2017, 01:01:42 pm
You know...that kid related to Mallet and Kniles.

Zeke will tell ya he never 'beat bama'
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit