Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema On Talented Freshmen: "I'm Not Going to Sit Them."

Started by Mike Irwin, August 12, 2017, 09:39:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawginbigd1

That's what he says now, we will see. His MO has been to play the vets at most opportunity

Kevin

he does say a lot of things about players that never materialize once the season starts
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jgphillips3

Sounds like motivational speech to light a fire under more experienced players but, if he means it, we may be turning a corner.

JayHog

Unless they fill a real need and provide a clear upgrade at a position, I hope we redshirt as many as we can.  Playing an a small amount of snaps each game (which is usually the case) ends up being a total waste of a year in the end. I guess I'm in the minority because I say reshirt them.

nchogg

There are many SEC teams that play freshmen that excel. Why not us, go for it.

Cinco de Hogo

Play who needs playing and set who needs setting, sung to a country beat!

Cinco de Hogo

One of the(or maybe the only) drawbacks to a strong redshirt program is that by year five a lot of position guys might lose their desire to put in 100% at something that's no longer profitable.

Seems CBB was sending a message but I don't know if it will do any good.  I never played football so I don't know what it takes to continue to get pounded week after week in year four and five of a career going nowhere.

Mo_Better_Hogs

I was looking at the depth chart (in another thread), and noticed quite a few freshmen listed, including a few in the top 2. Looks like there are a few RS freshman ready to step up too.

I'm most interested in those receivers, the 2 running backs, and especially all those defensive backs.

razorbrass

Uhh... Don't look now but we have shifted from a build the program mode to a save my tail mode.  Might as well burn freshman eligibility if he might be gone soon.  Could be these guys are really good and in years past we might have tried to read shirt some but it's not going to make any difference 5 years from now if BB can't keep the wolves away from the door.
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

pigroots

Quote from: razorbrass on August 13, 2017, 09:14:50 pm
Uhh... Don't look now but we have shifted from a build the program mode to a save my tail mode.  Might as well burn freshman eligibility if he might be gone soon.  Could be these guys are really good and in years past we might have tried to read shirt some but it's not going to make any difference 5 years from now if BB can't keep the wolves away from the door.
So you are for redshirting players like Dmac who are obvious studs and better than the older players on the depth chart? Let the best players play. If they are good enough they won't be here 4 years anyway. Fans would scream if a senior can't do the job saying we can't recruit. Well maybe we are recruiting guys good enough to deserve to be on the field

NuttinItUp

Is it bad that I misread the quote as, "I'm Not Going to Sit On Them." ?

blu

BB has played plenty of freshmen - Collins, Henry, Skipper, Guard who went pro too soon, Froholdt, Agim, RWIII, Devwah, Liddell, Greenlaw, Rogers, Morgan, Tolliver, Bijhon, Pulley, Scoota, plus more I'm sure I'm missing. Good grief, he's coaching to win games and he'll play whomever he believes will give us the best chance to win.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: blu on August 14, 2017, 12:29:24 am
BB has played plenty of freshmen - Collins, Henry, Skipper, Guard who went pro too soon, Froholdt, Agim, RWIII, Devwah, Liddell, Greenlaw, Rogers, Morgan, Tolliver, Bijhon, Pulley, Scoota, plus more I'm sure I'm missing. Good grief, he's coaching to win games and he'll play whomever he believes will give us the best chance to win.
This is expected, as with any other coach. 

hogsanity

Only two reasons to play true freshmen: 1 they are just that good, or 2. they are not great but still better than what you have.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawganatic

Quote from: razorbrass on August 13, 2017, 09:14:50 pm

It's not burning eligibility if they are the best at the position and earn the playing time.

Crazy thought here, but the coaching staff should let competition decide who does/doesn't play...

HamSammich

I'm of two thoughts.... one, I think our recruiting class was the best in 20 years and of course some of these guys are going to play.

Second thought is "crap how are we so thin in talent a freshman is the best option?"

colbs

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 13, 2017, 12:33:18 am
That's what he says now, we will see. His MO has been to play the vets at most opportunity
Maybe but seems like he has not had problems with Freshmen playing if they are good enough.  Whaley, RW3, Jred, Ragnow, Skipper, Kirkland, Collins, Greenlaw, Ellis, Scoota, Toliver, Sosa, Capps, Ramirez, Liddell, and I'm sure I missed some.  I just don't see this being the case.  He also mentioned they have revruitrd better players.

hogsanity

Quote from: colbs on August 14, 2017, 02:24:52 pm
Maybe but seems like he has not had problems with Freshmen playing if they are good enough.  Whaley, RW3, Jred, Ragnow, Skipper, Kirkland, Collins, Greenlaw, Ellis, Scoota, Toliver, Sosa, Capps, Ramirez, Liddell, and I'm sure I missed some.  I just don't see this being the case.  He also mentioned they have revruitrd better players.

BB, like just about every other FBS p5 conf coach, plays his FR if they are good enough or if he HAS to. He played guys like RW3 because they were good enough, but a lot of the FR he played his 1st season because he HAD to. Ellis would have benefited greatly from a RS season, but he did not have that luxury, same with Greenlaw.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Mike_e

I think that this is more of a "I put up with the cranial-rectal inversions last year because I had to but this season I don't.  Get in line or get out.".

The only knock I've had on CBB is that it seems that sometimes he's too nice of a guy.

I (like probably 99% on here) have had more near death experiences than I care to count.  Sometimes that ole light was because I was unconscious, once or twice it was a train (don't ask).

The absolute scariest moment of my life was when I first held my first kid.  Maybe it scared CBB the right way too.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: JayHog on August 13, 2017, 11:54:40 am
Unless they fill a real need and provide a clear upgrade at a position, I hope we redshirt as many as we can.  Playing an a small amount of snaps each game (which is usually the case) ends up being a total waste of a year in the end. I guess I'm in the minority because I say reshirt them.

This.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

PorkSoda

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on August 14, 2017, 07:21:35 pm
This.
to a point, but a lot of guys may provide good depth even if its only for a handful of snaps a game.  no amount of practice can substitute for live action.  these guys want to play, and giving them a taste both motivates them and better prepares them for what they will face as a starter.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

I'm sure that is the plan but after what we witnessed last season with some players checking it in at times in terms of effort and buy-in, I don't think that Bielema is going to allow himself to be unprepared again. I think that if they feel that anyone on either side of the ball isn't busting their ass every single play or appear to be off their game for any reason at any particular time, you are going to see people replaced. Bielema isn't going to allow that to happen again which I think, is the reason for his statement about not sitting players just because they are freshmen. And this is really how it should be, no ones position is safe, you have to re-earn it every week.
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 14, 2017, 07:43:33 pm
I'm sure that is the plan but after what we witnessed last season with some players checking it in at times in terms of effort and buy-in, I don't think that Bielema is going to allow himself to be unprepared again. I think that if they feel that anyone on either side of the ball isn't busting their ass every single play or appear to be off their game for any reason at any particular time, you are going to see people replaced. Bielema isn't going to allow that to happen again which I think, is the reason for his statement about not sitting players just because they are freshmen. And this is really how it should be, no ones position is safe, you have to re-earn it every week.

Fingers crossed for both CBB being serious and the players taking him serious and I agree it is reactionary to some unsavory events of the past year. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 13, 2017, 12:43:25 pm
One of the(or maybe the only) drawbacks to a strong redshirt program is that by year five a lot of position guys might lose their desire to put in 100% at something that's no longer profitable.

Seems CBB was sending a message but I don't know if it will do any good.  I never played football so I don't know what it takes to continue to get pounded week after week in year four and five of a career going nowhere.

This is where Uncommon enters the picture.  Very few players will make a living in the NFL.  College football recruiting in 2017 is characterized by beauty contests and fan bases who place almost as much emphasis on recruiting rankings as they do on final season rankings.  The trick for college coaches, especially those at programs like Arkansas with built in recruiting disadvantages, is to identify players who can actually play, but who also love the game and have the work ethic to excel on the field and in the classroom for five years. 

There's no question but that college football is a grind.  It's a full time job.  Add up the hours invested versus the cost of room, board, tuition, and other expenses that go into a college football career, and it's a minimum wage proposition.  On the other hand, how do you put a price tag on suiting up and running through the A?  On beating an SEC team in front of 100,000 enemy fans?  On playing on television before millions?  On developing leadership and personal skills and building a personal brand?  On playing a game you love with your closest friends?  On standing at center field with family on Senior Day?  On putting "Arkansas Razorbacks Football Player, 2013-2017" on your resume?

There are plenty of reasons to stay committed to football through the last bowl game.  For the few who are lucky enough to be be one of the men in the arena, that will be the last time the vast majority of them ever wear a uniform.  They knew going in that day was probably coming. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: pigroots on August 13, 2017, 09:43:18 pm
So you are for redshirting players like Dmac who are obvious studs and better than the older players on the depth chart? Let the best players play. If they are good enough they won't be here 4 years anyway. Fans would scream if a senior can't do the job saying we can't recruit. Well maybe we are recruiting guys good enough to deserve to be on the field
Bingo! As a HC you're paid in part to put the absolute best product on the field. Whether that means playing freshmen or upper class kids it makes no difference. Perhaps there's another way of looking at this: the recruits that we've brought into the program over the past year or so are UPGRADES to some of the players who've been around awhile.

BTW I'll agree with the observation that some would scream and complain IF a freshman had better skills than a more experienced player but wasn't being utilized. But obviously with some posters you're NEVER going to satisfy them no matter what you may/may not do.

Deep Shoat

He's played talented frosh every year.  Just not necessarily the ones certain posters want him to play.

CBB bases playing time on what actually happens in practice, and that pisses a segment of this board off to no end.
All Gas, No Brakes!

southeasthog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 15, 2017, 11:06:17 am
He's played talented frosh every year.  Just not necessarily the ones certain posters want him to play.

CBB bases playing time on what actually happens in practice, and that pisses a segment of this board off to no end.
You know, Gamers. Don't practice well but when the lights come on, All Americans.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

hogsanity

Quote from: southeasthog on August 15, 2017, 11:15:49 am
You know, Gamers. Don't practice well but when the lights come on, All Americans.

Only problem is how is a coach supposed to know that a guy is like that when in practice he does nothing?

DLUXHOG

The Hogs are going to massively surprise (in a good, positive way) all of the naysayers this year.....   WPS!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

southeasthog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 15, 2017, 11:27:18 am
Only problem is how is a coach supposed to know that a guy is like that when in practice he does nothing?
Read Hogville.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hogsanity on August 15, 2017, 11:27:18 am

I've heard many coaches say that doesn't exist

hog.goblin

QB is the only position where I've not seen CBB play youngsters.  Not as starters, the Allens have been right starters, but just more mop up time for the 2nd and 3rd string.

I hope Ty and Cole get some quality playing time this year when we have leads against lesser teams.

He's always been willing to play freshman: Whaley, Collins, Greenlaw, heck the list goes on and some of them have been mentioned above.  CBB plays young talent just like most coaches.  I just want to see more QB time for next year's competition should we have the opportunity.

hogsanity

Quote from: hog.goblin on August 15, 2017, 12:31:14 pm
QB is the only position where I've not seen CBB play youngsters.  Not as starters, the Allens have been right starters, but just more mop up time for the 2nd and 3rd string.

I hope Ty and Cole get some quality playing time this year when we have leads against lesser teams.

He's always been willing to play freshman: Whaley, Collins, Greenlaw, heck the list goes on and some of them have been mentioned above.  CBB plays young talent just like most coaches.  I just want to see more QB time for next year's competition should we have the opportunity.

The people saying BB does not play FR are really saying " Bb does not play the FR that I would play ". And usually it is a Arkansas kid that they thought hung the moon in HS.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hogsanity on August 15, 2017, 12:51:49 pm
The people saying BB does not play FR are really saying " Bb does not play the FR that I would play ". And usually it is a Arkansas kid that they thought hung the moon in HS.
+1
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

factchecker

Quote from: hogsanity on August 15, 2017, 12:51:49 pm

Some of them are the crazy Allen conspiracy theory believers who claim Brandon and Austin only get playing time because of their "daddy".

I've seen idiots say that Brandon is in the NFL because Bobby Allen is paying people to have him on the team.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

The NewEra

Quote from: DLUXHOG on August 15, 2017, 11:31:21 am
The Hogs are going to massively surprise (in a good, positive way) all of the naysayers this year.....   WPS!

A bunch of people who frequent this website are going to be very unhappy when the Hogs have a good year this year which is what I fully expect.  That's a good think too since this is a much more enjoyable website when the haters are without ammunition to dump on the program.

hogsanity

Quote from: factchecker on August 15, 2017, 12:57:47 pm
Some of them are the crazy Allen conspiracy theory believers who claim Brandon and Austin only get playing time because of their "daddy".

I've seen idiots say that Brandon is in the NFL because Bobby Allen is paying people to have him on the team.

Yep. They are the same ones that would field a team of entirely Arkansas kids from schools no bigger than AAAA because they think everyone else is in some some big conspiracy.

razorsharptusk

If you have a freshman, and in your mind he is better than the veteran that is already on the team in that position currently....why would you not play him?  I mean if he has turned your head and is physically and mentally doing well enough to secure the spot...what would be the reason's to play a player that is not as good at that position, regardless of class?  Most of these guys, if they are that good, are going to jet as soon as they get the opportunity anyway.  Play them.   
GO HOGS!!

jgphillips3

If a guy has Sunday potential, you do not redshirt him.  The only possible exception being offensive linemen who need more time to develop.  If you redshirt a guy who can play on Sunday, you are running a big risk of only getting two years out of him ala Darius Philon.

Hoggish1

He will red shirt most of them.  This is a message to anybody that is not working his tail off.  But, the reality today is that the most talented kids are only here three years these days, so it's a no brainer statement, actually.

EastexHawg

Quote from: blu on August 14, 2017, 12:29:24 am

One of the "explanations" for results over the years has been that Bielema builds his program by redshirting players and allowing them to mature and get stronger, but that he couldn't do that early on because the cupboard was so bare.  The previous coaches didn't recruit and it was catching up to the program, or so the story goes.

We are now entering year five under Bielema.  Is a new explanation being crafted?

DLUXHOG

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 15, 2017, 02:46:18 pm
One of the "explanations" for results over the years has been that Bielema builds his program by redshirting players and allowing them to mature and get stronger, but that he couldn't do that early on because the cupboard was so bare.  The previous coaches didn't recruit and it was catching up to the program, or so the story goes.

We are now entering year five under Bielema.  Is a new explanation being crafted?

yes, just for you... you should be a happy camper now, so please go back to your sandbox.......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Deep Shoat

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 15, 2017, 02:46:18 pm

My explanation is that you aren't going to be happy anyway, so who gives a frick.
All Gas, No Brakes!

southeasthog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 15, 2017, 03:01:10 pm
My explanation is that you aren't going to be happy anyway, so who gives a frick.
I laughed.

The Kig

Quote from: hogsanity on August 14, 2017, 01:34:30 pm
Only two reasons to play true freshmen: 1 they are just that good, or 2. they are not great but still better than what you have.

Should have ended the nonsense, but the sky must be falling crowd isn't satisfied.   Most recruits are told that they will get a shot at getting PT early.  Some are ready, some aren't. 

Coaches will almost always put players on the field that give them the best chance of winning.   Sure it makes sense to develop and adjust to the speed of the SEC and college game. (especially at some positions like OL), but field the best 11.  If someone can take the spot, then they are better. If we field 11 underclassmen/upperclassmen that lose games, then figure out why. 
Poker Porker

Cinco de Hogo

Fortunately BB is still showing signs of being able to learn and adjust.  Question to be answered by the individual is "does he do it fast enough to keep up with competition from other SEC coaches".

I can site two really good situations in just the last couple years that are big but I'll let ya'll come to your own conclusions.