Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Developing Depth Behind Whaley

Started by Mike Irwin, August 11, 2017, 11:15:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Bacons Rebellion

I always get excited when we're anticipating someone like Hayden, but I have a hard time remembering when the 5-9 "scatback" ever contributed for the Hogs as much as anticipated.

I expect David Williams to play a lot because of pass blocking, assuming he's learned the knack at USCE. That's always an issue with younger backs.

southeasthog

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 12, 2017, 07:49:36 am
I always get excited when we're anticipating someone like Hayden, but I have a hard time remembering when the 5-9 "scatback" ever contributed for the Hogs as much as anticipated.

I expect David Williams to play a lot because of pass blocking, assuming he's learned the knack at USCE. That's always an issue with younger backs.

Fred Talley
Longview, TX (Longview)

Running Back

Ht 5-9 Wt 176

This was from his recruiting bio.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

rhames

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 12, 2017, 07:49:36 am

Dennis Johnson.

Michael Smith.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

parallaxpig

How much the O-Line improves will figure into how well the running backs do.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

nchogg

Well written Mike. People need to remember that Dennis Johnson was 5'7" and in the 190 pound range. Many games he was a lone ranger.

rhames

Quote from: nchogg on August 12, 2017, 08:21:58 am
Well written Mike. People need to remember that Dennis Johnson was 5'7" and in the 190 pound range. Many games he was a lone ranger.

Yeah he was 5'7........in timberlands. Probably more around 160.

Same with micheal smith.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

nwahogfan1

Your right in we have not had a bunch of scat backs but lots of teams have succuss with them in the spread.  We just have to block good enough to get him to the secondary and sit back and watch him work. I love it.

coach, my back hurts

I loved the game of Dalvin Cook at FSU.

Quick as cat and fast.

NFL combine had him at 5'10, 210.

I think Hayden is 5'10, 195 or so.  Very similar.  Could easily see Hayden adding another 10lbs to add a little strength to his game. 

I know our style is more between the tackles type stuff, but i like the change up going forward between him and Maleek.  And Devwah again next season.

oldhawg

Will never forget Dickie Morton, a 5'10", 160 lbs bolt of lightning.

HoopS

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I would label Felix as a 6' Missile that didn't shake, he just flew.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HillBillyHogfan

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on August 12, 2017, 06:38:06 pm
Dennis fumbles johnson?

What was it Uncle Verne always mistakenly called him? Kniles Davis and ???? (Dennis Johnson)
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

FANONTHEHILL

From what I've seen of David Williams, people are going to be impressed.  In his three years at USCe, he had 188 carries for 794yds and 5 TDs.  I'll be shocked if he doesn't surpass the yards and TD numbers his year.  He is special.  I think it's simply a matter of being in the wrong system at Carolina.

I'll predict that Whaley will lead the team in carries total and total yards,  Williams and Whaley will be close in TD leaders Williams carries inside the 10 since he's a power back), and Hayden will lead in yards per carry (fewer opportunities, but a highlight waiting to happen).  Hayden does things that you can't coach.  You watch and ask why he made a cut and the next thing he's 10yds downfield.  Maleek Williams is a clone of David Williams.  I hop they are able to stay healthy and Maleek redshirt.  That would leave a stable in 2018 of Whaley for 2 more years, Hayden for 3 more and Maleek for 4.  That's how you build sustainable depth at RB. 

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

DoctorSusscrofa

I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

hobhog

Quote from: oldhawg on August 12, 2017, 10:30:02 am
Will never forget Dickie Morton, a 5'10", 160 lbs bolt of lightning.

Excellent

a0ashle

It seems from practice and scrimmage report that labeling Hayden a scat back is premature, he was driving piles according to reports.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: a0ashle on August 13, 2017, 09:57:11 am
It seems from practice and scrimmage report that labeling Hayden a scat back is premature, he was driving piles according to reports.

Definitely a scat-back, but he is strong.  Most of the push he seems to get is because he beats the defender to the spot.  At less than 180, physics says he won't have the power of a 230lb back in a straight line, but add the lateral quickness and it's a great way to make up the difference.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Mike_e

Quote from: a0ashle on August 13, 2017, 09:57:11 am

We might just want to call him a scatter back.

Give him the ball and watch the defense scatter trying to catch him.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 13, 2017, 10:53:12 am
Definitely a scat-back, but he is strong.  Most of the push he seems to get is because he beats the defender to the spot.  At less than 180, physics says he won't have the power of a 230lb back in a straight line, but add the lateral quickness and it's a great way to make up the difference.

Let us hope that, if he is as quick as they say that he is and with his ability to have a burst of speed, that these things combined will help him to avoid as many direct blows as possible and instead cause tackles to be more like glancing blows. If he is just carrying 180 around right now, he sure doesn't need to challenge many 220-240 LB's to a mano-a-mano contest.
Go Hogs Go!

Bacons Rebellion

Talley and Dennis Johnson were relatively small, but they were used as a regular tailback. When the coaches (whichever staff it has been) have had one small back to used in "special situations" or "special packages" or as a "change of pace" they often don't get in the game much.

I was pleased to hear CBB talk about Hayden being able to run tough (taught by his Dad). I'm hoping he's becomes a Talley / Johnson / Michael Smith / Morton and not a seldom used change-of-pace.

nchogg

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on August 12, 2017, 06:38:06 pm
Dennis fumbles johnson?
Dennis did have that one big fumble as a freshman and he gave his heart and soul for the team and spent a lot of time in an ice tub getting ready for the next game. He did a lot as a Razorback.But all you can think about is that one fumble on a return. Get over it.

Hoggle

Quote from: nchogg on August 13, 2017, 12:03:35 pm
Dennis did have that one big fumble as a freshman and he gave his heart and soul for the team and spent a lot of time in an ice tub getting ready for the next game. He did a lot as a Razorback.But all you can think about is that one fumble on a return. Get over it.

Couldn't agree more. Dennis was a BEAST - anything but a "scatback". He demolished Florida in the game that was stolen from us. He imposed more pain on tacklers than any razorback running back I can remember. He was to running backs what Kenoy Kennedy was to safeties.

Fred Talley, on the other hand, was the ultimate scatback. Not even HDN's offense, with the D knowing exactly what was coming, could stop him.  If there was a way through, Fred would find it.