Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is 6-7 wins acceptable or non-acceptable for you this season?

Started by Ben, August 11, 2017, 04:02:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogs-n-Roses

EulessHog

Quote from: SemperHawg on August 11, 2017, 04:22:12 pm
The SEC West is as down as its been since Coach B has been here, we don't draw Georgia/Tennessee/Florida from the east, and Mizzou SHOULD (cough cough) be beatable.  He has a returning senior top end QB. 

Ole Miss-Dumpster Fire
Miss St- Should be beatable at home.
A&M- If there were ever a year to get these dudes, this has to be it.  They are bad and we are on two weeks rest.

USC-E-tough but winnable on the road
Mizzou- If he drops two in a row to this garbage team he deserves to fired on the spot.

TCU- not out of reason to expect a win at home with two more days rest than them.
3 other non con games- All should be wins, if not see Mizzou.

You do the math on that and tell me what win total is ok with you.

Good post. 

A little math could mean we're in trouble, especially when one considers Bielema's recent tendency to lose control of his own teams in the second half.   

Enough is enough.
Go Hogs Go!

Hollywood870

Quote from: sowmonella on August 11, 2017, 04:11:58 pm
You should be bant for life plus 20 years for this post.
I'm sure there are a few who would agree with that on here. Baghdad Bobs are always running rampant.

Hoggiedawg

bythelake

Man, why in the hell do you'll belabor yourselves with win /losses for an upcoming season?    What a self defeatist attitude.  Only reason to start a thread like this is that OP has an agenda, pitiful one at that.

Why not kick back and enjoy the season.  That's what I'm going to do.  Pretty simple.

Bebop

He has to win 9, in my opinion. He has underachieved the past couple of years. 

HamSammich

Like I predicted... we will win 7 and beat Bama and CBB gets an extension and I'll be the only one holding the rope here...

Chip Kelly and Gruden are not walking through that door people. I'll be here the next year to tell you told you so.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HamSammich on August 11, 2017, 09:21:23 pm
Like I predicted... we will win 7 and beat Bama and CBB gets an extension and I'll be the only one holding the rope here...

Chip Kelly and Gruden are not walking through that door people. I'll be here the next year to tell you told you so.

Boy, you are chock full of yourself and your opinions.
Go Hogs Go!

tophawg19

it would all depend Several major injuries say to Whaley and Austin Allen and 7 wins would be good . we are still a year away from a good run at the SEC West . lose a Ragnow or Agim and we could have problems too. we still have a bit of depth problem due to lack of experience . We have talent but it is still young
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

TNRazorbacker

8 regular season wins for me to be reasonably satisfied with the season. I think 6-7 is much more likely though. Looking at where we were last season and what we lost even off that team I just don't see much reason to expect better.

Bacons Rebellion

Sure, it's acceptable.

I accepted 4-5-1 in 1967 an was back for 1968.
I accepted 3-8 n 1990 and was back for 1991
I accepted 3-9 in 2013 and was back for 2015.

If I don't accept those, I have to go root for Alabama or Ohio State. I don't do that.

Sapperhog

The SEC West is as down as its been since Coach B has been here, we don't draw Georgia/Tennessee/Florida from the east, and Mizzou SHOULD (cough cough) be beatable.  He has a returning senior top end QB. 

Ole Miss-Dumpster Fire
A&M- If there were ever a year to get these dudes, this has to be it.  They are bad and we are on two weeks rest.

Mizzou- If he drops two in a row to this garbage team he deserves to fired on the spot.

TCU- not out of reason to expect a win at home with two more days rest than them.

THIS.

HamSammich

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 11, 2017, 09:30:04 pm
Sure, it's acceptable.

I accepted 4-5-1 in 1967 an was back for 1968.
I accepted 3-8 n 1990 and was back for 1991
I accepted 3-9 in 2013 and was back for 2015.

If I don't accept those, I have to go root for Alabama or Ohio State. I don't do that.

About as damn well said as I've ever read.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 11, 2017, 07:50:02 pm
What is the definition of "acceptable?"
First we have to decide what the definition of is is

AirWarren

Oh yay. The Ark/Missouri game is on sec network. I don't know why I'm doing this to myself. It's like going back to a mediocre looking girlfriend but she knows how to "work it". Sigh.....

nwahogfan1

Coach B has been here long enough to have signed his players so less than 8 is unacceptable.

GuvHog

Quote from: HamSammich on August 11, 2017, 09:21:23 pm

Winning 7 games or less for the 5th year in a row would be unacceptable.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kevin on August 11, 2017, 04:07:10 pm
Year five, shouldn't the expectations be higher

One expects their kids to act right.................it doesn't always happen though.................but you still love them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

pigture perfect

So if it's unacceptable are you going to stop being a fan if heads don't roll? I won't say anything is unacceptable. You take what life gives you and if you don't enjoy it, find something else you do.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

WilsonHog

If nothing tangible is to be gained from the declaration that a particular result is "acceptable" or "unacceptable," I see no point.

But, I'll play along with the masses.

If we go 7-6 this season, I will find that "unacceptable." As a result of my deeming that result unacceptable, I am going to do...nothing.

What could I do?

(1) I could rant about it on social media, which would accomplish nothing;

(2) I could call Jeff Long to express my displeasure, but he's not taking a call from
me.

(3) I could write a strongly worded letter to demand Bielema's firing, which would promptly find the bottom of Jeff Long's trash can, after he finished having a good laugh about it.

(4) I could drop my contribution to the Razorback Foundation or cancel my season tickets, but I'm not ending a 32-year passion over the outcome of a football season.

So, "acceptable," "unacceptable"....does it really matter?

grayhawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 12, 2017, 09:14:59 am
If nothing tangible is to be gained from the declaration that a particular result is "acceptable" or "unacceptable," I see no point.

If we go 7-6 this season, I will find that "unacceptable." As a result of my deeming that result unacceptable, I am going to do...nothing.

What could I do?

(2) I could call Jeff Long to express my displeasure, but he's not taking a call from
me.

(3) I could write a strongly worded letter to demand Bielema's firing, which would promptly find the bottom of Jeff Long's trash can, after he finished having a good laugh about it.

(4) I could drop my contribution to the Razorback Foundation or cancel my season tickets, but I'm not ending a 32-year passion over the outcome of a football season.

Only to our blood pressure

hobhog

What could I do?

me.

Maybe if they gave people access to practices again they'd post about the team instead of 4 separate threads on same thing: coaches being fired or not 3 weeks before kickoff.

#1Fan

What could I do?

me.

Or
(5)  You could hire someone to fly a banner over the stadium on game days that says "Fire Bielema".  Sometimes that works.

Hogs-n-Roses

What could I do?

me.

I agree with every point you posted but my ending the giving of money to this mediocrity campaign did not diminish my passion for the program one bit. Now it was hard that first season. Then I started having the crew over for the games and cooking out for the next year and we had some great laughs. Last year I started doing more hunting and fishing and for the first time in like 40 years didn't even keep up wit a game on radio or something. (was the mizzou game) laugher. Now I did give all that revenue to the church.

bphi11ips

Quote from: bythelake on August 11, 2017, 09:13:03 pm
Man, why in the hell do you'll belabor yourselves with win /losses for an upcoming season?    What a self defeatist attitude.  Only reason to start a thread like this is that OP has an agenda, pitiful one at that.

Why not kick back and enjoy the season.  That's what I'm going to do.  Pretty simple.

Voice in the wilderness.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Sed76

No, but it's what I'm expecting. Followed by a another long off season of excuses and this next year is gonna be the year talk.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on August 12, 2017, 10:44:13 am
I agree with every point you posted but my ending the giving of money to this mediocrity campaign did not diminish my passion for the program one bit. Now it was hard that first season. Then I started having the crew over for the games and cooking out for the next year and we had some great laughs. Last year I started doing more hunting and fishing and for the first time in like 40 years didn't even keep up wit a game on radio or something. (was the mizzou game) laugher. Now I did give all that revenue to the church.

Won't work for me. I don't hunt or fish, and I'm not overly fond of people.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 12, 2017, 11:05:42 am
Won't work for me. I don't hunt or fish, and I'm not overly fond of people.
All I'm sayin is its not been nearly as bad as I thought. I will start back up when we purge the Big ten from our school 8)

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Ben on August 11, 2017, 04:02:24 pm
Is 6-7 wins a good season or bad season for you this year?
Not nawh, but hell nawh!!!!! I'll take 8 wins with a bowl win making it 9. Anything less would be uncivilized.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 12, 2017, 11:18:22 am
Not nawh, but hell nawh!!!!! I'll take 8 wins with a bowl win making it 9. Anything less would be uncivilized.
You are not very knowledgeable of college football if you DEMAND a bowl win.  Those are too uncertain to demand.  We have no clue who we will play, or where, or who.  No way to predict a bowl at this point.
All Gas, No Brakes!

GRIMMHOG

If eight wins is not good enough for you then you are rooting for the wrong team.
Embrace the Pain

3Scoreand10

A 6 or 7 win season year after year, can be bought for a lot less money than we are now paying.

KlubhouseKonnected

I can live with it if the team is improving at the end instead of slumping. I am
Willing to commit to a slow but steady method but there must be buy in and growth and not stagnation.

I suspect the difference between 7 wins and 9 wins in last year's team was a surprising lack of (at least a bit less than would be hoped) character in its senior "leaders".
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: GRIMMHOG on August 12, 2017, 05:47:16 pm
If eight wins is not good enough for you then you are rooting for the wrong team.

ha... 7's not good enough for me but it won't matter for next year.... this year for CBB feels similar to Mike's last year., both coming off disappointments... hopefully we have similar results and the march forward continues in both sports...

Hook 'em Hogs

I said at the end of last season that as soon as Bielema took a step back in overall wins, he put the pressure on himself.  You can always tout improvement when you're increasing your win totals. The moment you don't, what can you say?  If I am to believe that Bielema is a coach that can take us to a championship, he's going to have to win 10 including our bowl. I LOVE the guy!  I'd hesitate to call for anyone to get fired, but if we don't get to 10 wins this year, I just don't think it will happen under Bielema. Once we get to 10, then you start talking Championships and even higher expectations.

For our coach and players, I hope we are much better than 6-7 wins. We will all be disappointed with that. If I'm to believe that Bielema will get us there in the long run, year 5 is a good year to make a splash and win 10.

jkstock04

Quote from: razored on August 11, 2017, 07:33:52 pm
If 6 -7 -8 - 9 wins are acceptable then why did UA FIRE Hootie.

At 70 years old I can remember the time when anything less than UNDEFEATED was NOT acceptable.

Get on the bandwagon or get lost.

Because of his off the field antics. He won plenty enough games to coach here forever.

To the OP, "acceptable" is eye of the beholder. And if we win 6 games we will have to accept it like it or not. I don't think we will ever win more than 8 regular season games under Bielema. So I can either jump on that bandwagon...or not. We all have that choice to make. I don't like it, but I have no other choice but to accept it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

WilsonHog

Quote from: razored on August 11, 2017, 07:33:52 pm
If 6 -7 -8 - 9 wins are acceptable then why did UA FIRE Hootie.

At 70 years old I can remember the time when anything less than UNDEFEATED was NOT acceptable.

Get on the bandwagon or get lost.

Then I assume you also remember the stretch from 1972 through 1974, when we went 6-5, 5-5-1, and 6-4-1, with no bowl appearances and a SWC record of 9-10-2.

Hawghiggs

Anything less than 8 wins and Jeff Long needs to be fired for giving CBB a huge buyout.

Kevin

win 7 games and long will start all the apr & graduation propaganda.

that is what mediocre programs do.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bphi11ips

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 12, 2017, 10:02:14 pm
Then I assume you also remember the stretch from 1972 through 1974, when we went 6-5, 5-5-1, and 6-4-1, with no bowl appearances and a SWC record of 9-10-2.

And he's also old enough to remember 5-5 in 1963 and 4-5-1 in 1967.  And the NC in 1964 and the near misses in 1965, 1969 and 1977.  And the win over USC in 1974. And Joe Ferguson and Dickie Morton. And clobbering Georgia in the 1976 Cotton Bowl after squashing second ranked, undefeated A&M to get there.  And so on through the 80's.

I'll bet plenty of Alabama fans remember 4-7 in 1997, 3-8 in 2000, 7-5 in 2001, and 6-6 in 2004. 

Arkansas has had plenty of great moments and some very good teams since joining the SEC.  Good teams and great effort is all we fans should expect, but you tend to get what you expect in life.  I hope our administration, coaches and players think like razored and Razorbacks fans in the 60s, 70s, and 80s - anything less than undefeated is unacceptable.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

azhog10

1highhog

Quote from: Ben on August 11, 2017, 04:02:24 pm
Is 6-7 wins a good season or bad season for you this year?

8 wins is acceptable this season and I think we will get there.

Mike_e

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 12, 2017, 07:29:20 pm
I can live with it if the team is improving at the end instead of slumping. I am
Willing to commit to a slow but steady method but there must be buy in and growth and not stagnation.

I suspect the difference between 7 wins and 9 wins in last year's team was a surprising lack of (at least a bit less than would be hoped) character in its senior "leaders".

I think that you are better than horseshoe close.  The only times I have ever seen anyone just give up like that is when their leadership gave up.  Ther general gives the order, the sergeants make them march.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

HiggiePiggy

Acceptable for me? No. Acceptable for the program? Yes. This year will only set up the hot seat if it is a season that is 6 wins or less.  7 wins and he won't even be on a warm seat at the beginning of next season.  Now if he has amazing melt downs again in the last 2 games of the season like last year and has 7 wins he will have a warm seat to start next year.  The only way he is gone at the end of this year is if he goes 0-8 again in conference. Which I can not see happening. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Michael D Huff AIA

Not acceptable this season or any other season at this school.  Period.  Under no circumstances should we ever have a .500 season.

MJ2

Not, but I think any record that gets us to a bowl secures his job for another year.   If he wants to stay.

hogsanity

Quote from: jgphillips3 on August 11, 2017, 08:17:29 pm
With this schedule and at this stage in tenure, 100% unacceptable.  I don't even think Jeff Long would find that acceptable either.

This schedule? A schedule where the Hogs will likely be the pre season underdog in over half the games.

Thankfully it does not matter if it is acceptable to a bunch of keyboard jockeys, it matters if it is acceptable to Long and the BOT.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Al Boarland

Ole Miss-Dumpster Fire

I break it down a little differently. I take the games we are most likely to lose for L's. Then I take toss-ups and split them to .500.

Likely to lose > LSU, Bama, Auburn (3 Losses)

Toss-ups > TCU, A&M, SCar, Ole Miss, MS St, MIZZOU (3 Wins / 3 Losses)

Gimmes* > FL A&M, NM St, Coastal (3 Wins)

I'm tempted to put A&M in the likely to lose just due to talent, but with their QB situation I'm going toss-up.

You have to consider the possibility of that head-scratcher loss that we have come to expect with CBB, but I'll leave that out.

That gives you 6 wins. Those toss-up games are CRITICAL. Do better than .500 and you can have a decent season.

jst01

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 15, 2017, 10:47:37 am

Toss-ups > TCU, A&M, SCar, Ole Miss, MS St, MIZZOU (3 Wins / 3 Losses)

this is what annoys me, games against Miss. St. and Mizzu shouldnt be toss ups. Teams on the rise that are respectable should be considered favorites playing at home against those teams.  Not arguing whether they are considered 'toss ups'... just bothers me that we are at a point of perception and team skill that they actually are toss ups.