Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vegas says Bielema best odds on SEC coach to be fired.

Started by ricepig, August 11, 2017, 01:17:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 11, 2017, 02:38:11 pm
Johnny Tyson one told me that the notion there are big bucks boosters in this state who would drop millions to get rid of a Razorback coach is laughable. He said the people he knows with money aren't willing to waste it on buyouts.

Shhhh don't be sensible with Guv, he's been arguing with me
For a week that these rich boosters would just write a check to buyout Bielema.   What he doesn't understand though IS MONEY!!!!   Small minds think small.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: ricepig on August 11, 2017, 03:32:59 pm
Yep, $11.7M

I didn't think that sounded correct. So I looked up a source. It's 7.9 million not 11.7 million. After Jan 1 2018.  https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/arkansas-gives-bret-bielema-raise-extension-through-2020/  Unless there is other information that I'm not aware of?

Poker_hog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on August 12, 2017, 06:14:27 am
I didn't think that sounded correct. So I looked up a source. It's 7.9 million not 11.7 million. After Jan 1 2018.  https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/arkansas-gives-bret-bielema-raise-extension-through-2020/  Unless there is other information that I'm not aware of?

That link leaves out if he's fired during the 2018 calendar year. It is 11.7

Had long not up the buyout after Bert went 7-6, it would only be 3 mill.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

gchamblee

If you think the buyout is the only reason he is still our coach, you are hopelessly special.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on August 12, 2017, 07:37:36 am
If you think the buyout is the only reason he is still our coach, you are hopelessly special.

Exactly. It isn't the high buyout that's keeping Bret at Arkansas.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Seebs

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. If these are true odds that you can place a bet on it seems like free money to me. Make these idiots pay.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

hobhog

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 11, 2017, 01:25:54 pm
Maybe Vegas is underestimating the average Arkansas fan's tolerance for mediocrity?

Maybe Vegas is overestimating Jeff Long's desire to field a national-discussion worthy football program?

Maybe Bielema surprises us all and puts together a season rendering this type of speculation irrelevant.

Your such a cool fan. Your knowledge is overwhelming....

hobhog

Quote from: Seebs on August 12, 2017, 09:04:15 am
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. If these are true odds that you can place a bet on it seems like free money to me. Make these idiots pay.

Exactly. Chance for people to put thier money where there mouth is.....

Hoginsavga

Quote from: ArkansasI on August 11, 2017, 08:54:01 pm
Do you really believe this?  Bret went to 3 straight Rose Bowls as a very young coach. He had the courage to leave a life of security to coach at a program that oddsmakers would select in the bottom half of jobs in the most competitive conference in college football.

No, he isn't likely to figure out what he knows isn't true.

The majority of his piss poor record came on the heels of the prior regime. The fourth quarter collapses last year sucked, but the coaches primarily responsible are gone. We focus on LSU, Auburn and A&M - all disappointing for sure. Where is the joy and credit for great victories against Florida, Ole Miss and TCU?

The Hogs seem fairly likely to keep the Arkansas kids home, or have been able to replace those that leave with equal or better talent. In interviews, the players sound positive and complimentary of their teammates.

The coordinators are strong. I'm not sold on all the position coaches, but the fact that we have a roster growing with upper classmen and the 2018 class nearly full with highly rated talent suggests Bret is managing the program quite well.

If you listen to his press conferences it's not so hard to root for the man. Listen to what his players say about him - Trey Flowers (not recruited by Bret), Alex Collins, Raleigh Williams, the Allens... There aren't sour grapes in the program.

Things seem quite healthy right now. Why start over?

I think 2017 could be the break through for CBB and the Hogs. However, it is way beyond time to stop laying the blame for failures on the assistant coaches. The turnover in our assistant coaches under CBB has been like rainwater through a screen dam.

I hope we don't use the switch to a 3-4 defense as another reason why there is failure, if that happens on defense in 2017. My point is we can find a new reason each year for failure if that's our desire. The one constant we have had the last four years is the Head Coach.

Again, I think 2017 is the brightest the program has looked in four years. However, if there are meltdowns as we have seen in each of the past four years then where does the blame lie?

PorkRinds

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 11, 2017, 01:36:15 pm
They didn't get to where they are by being impatient and throwing money away like that.

Nope they got that way by laying off people on a regular basis and cutting benefits as much as possible.  But that's a different thread. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

ArkansasI

Quote from: Hoginsavga on August 12, 2017, 09:35:48 am
I think 2017 could be the break through for CBB and the Hogs. However, it is way beyond time to stop laying the blame for failures on the assistant coaches. The turnover in our assistant coaches under CBB has been like rainwater through a screen dam.

I hope we don't use the switch to a 3-4 defense as another reason why there is failure, if that happens on defense in 2017. My point is we can find a new reason each year for failure if that's our desire. The one constant we have had the last four years is the Head Coach.

Again, I think 2017 is the brightest the program has looked in four years. However, if there are meltdowns as we have seen in each of the past four years then where does the blame lie?
Thanks for the reply. And I appreciate what you're saying about who must be held accountable.

Since head coaches make so much money, I tend to agree that he must bear the primary burden of the program's success. In Bret's defense, it is clear that he is holding his assistants accountable. We've had problems in the past when HCs have appeared more dedicated to the guys they brought in with them than the program that is making them filthy rich.

Management is an art. It's hard to make changes to your staff. These guys may move half way across the country to work with you. But they are paid very well, too. And if they can't recruit well enough, or scheme/coach well enough, the HC has to be willing to make a change.

It's a tough balancing act. We can't make it so tough that no one wants to work with you. Yet, these guys need to be sufficiently motivated to get it done.

4 years is a decent amount of time to evaluate where we are. But I don't think it is sufficient time to know if we have the right coach at Arkansas. Bret has let me down a few times for sure. But you'd have to be blind not to see what is being built.

Plenty of reason for being optimistic.

Go Hogs! 

Mike Irwin

This team would have to totally collapse for Bielema to be fired. Vegas clearly doesn't know anything about Arkansas' AD. He's not about to fire Bielema and nobody on the BOT is going to make him.

Arkansasno1

It's not about who Vegas thinks will be fired, it's about Vegas setting a line for whom they think people will wager. If the line for Bielema is the most likely, then too many folks are taking this bet for whatever reason.  They will likely make good money on this one.
"Be content and resigned to God's will."
~Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Arkansasno1 on August 13, 2017, 12:27:47 am
It's not about who Vegas thinks will be fired, it's about Vegas setting a line for whom they think people will wager. If the line for Bielema is the most likely, then too many folks are taking this bet for whatever reason.  They will likely make good money on this one.

Exactly, Vegas knows we have a lot of Hog fans already calling for Beliemas head, and even if Vegas does not think he will be fired, they can make a lot money off the irrational fans from Arkansas that do.
SCREW Vandy!

nchogg

hobhog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 12, 2017, 12:30:46 pm
Nope they got that way by laying off people on a regular basis and cutting benefits as much as possible.  But that's a different thread.

Funny. Workin for the MAN got you down?

I just hope we win enough so I don't have to see threads like this next fall....

jkstock04

Last I looked 16/1 is still quite a long shot guys. To me, this isn't Vegas saying there is a 99% chance Bielema gets fired this year. Seems like that's how this thread is reading.

Jeff Long is married to Bielema. In my mind there is absolute zero chance he would ever fire him because we didn't win "enough" games. Zero chance of that.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

East Clintwood

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on August 11, 2017, 01:21:45 pm
JL loves coaching stability, loves CBB, and loves his branding (#NeverYield and doing it the "right way"). Ain't gonna happen this year.

JL apparently loves losing.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

jkstock04

Quote from: East Clintwood on August 13, 2017, 10:14:14 am

JL apparently loves losing.
I don't think he loves it....but he can for sure wax and shine over it to where it's not that big of a deal.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

870hogfan

Funny how our fans think they know more than the coach.

Arazorbackguy1

I don't think you can count Bielema's first year against him.  Everyone talks about how he is 10-22 in SEC, but if you remove the first 16 SEC games (was able to finally get it going in Second year with two consecutive shutouts), he is 8-8.  While not stellar, 50% is much better than the 32% win % that he is continually credited with. 

I think he turns it around and surprises people this year. 
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

wildhogman

Does Vegas have a line for CBB being fired straight up?  so I can bet aginst the house that he wont be fired?? I need to make some free money

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hobhog on August 13, 2017, 09:52:15 am
Funny. Workin for the MAN got you down?

I just hope we win enough so I don't have to see threads like this next fall....

No I am just tired of seeing hard working people with families get laid off for greed.

It is sad a company that makes close to 500 billion a year. Take home after everything is paid for is close to 7 or 8 billion and they lay off people every 3 months.  How about letting them retire or quit and just not rehire.  I don't work for any of those companies. I can only speak for Walmart. People that work for them do not have job security there especially if you work at the home office and have been there more than 10 years. You have better luck if you are in a regular store. Even then they still might not be safe. 

nchogg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 13, 2017, 02:38:35 pm
No I am just tired of seeing hard working people with families get laid off for greed.

It is sad a company that makes close to 500 billion a year. Take home after everything is paid for is close to 7 or 8 billion and they lay off people every 3 months.  How about letting them retire or quit and just not rehire.  I don't work for any of those companies. I can only speak for Walmart. People that work for them do not have job security there especially if you work at the home office and have been there more than 10 years. You have better luck if you are in a regular store. Even then they still might not be safe.
I know this is really not a thread for this but I have to agree with you and I have had many friends that work in retail stores that have had ours cut and others laid off and part time employees are brought.

ricepig

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 13, 2017, 02:38:35 pm

You do realize they have shareholders to answer to?? They aren't a charity.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ricepig on August 13, 2017, 03:09:33 pm
You do realize they have shareholders to answer to?? They aren't a charity.

Not asking for a charity. All I am wanting is them to stop laying off their loyal employees to bring in cheaper help when they can easily allow the natural process of quiting, fired for cause, and retires. Instead they lay off people. Even ones that are very good workers and have been with the company for 10 or so years.  It's all for greed. They don't have to do it. They do it for more money.

https://www.google.com/amp/moneynation.com/how-much-money-does-walmart-make/amp/

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-01-12/why-are-wal-mart-and-boeing-laying-workers-if-us-economy-such-great-shape

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/panosmourdoukoutas/2016/01/19/layoffs-wont-fix-walmarts-real-problem/amp/

hobhog

Start your own company and then you can call your own shots.

I'm going to find out a way to bet this Vegas line. Easy money.

ricepig

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 13, 2017, 04:50:47 pm
Not asking for a charity. All I am wanting is them to stop laying off their loyal employees to bring in cheaper help when they can easily allow the natural process of quiting, fired for cause, and retires. Instead they lay off people. Even ones that are very good workers and have been with the company for 10 or so years.  It's all for greed. They don't have to do it. They do it for more money.

https://www.google.com/amp/moneynation.com/how-much-money-does-walmart-make/amp/

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-01-12/why-are-wal-mart-and-boeing-laying-workers-if-us-economy-such-great-shape

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/panosmourdoukoutas/2016/01/19/layoffs-wont-fix-walmarts-real-problem/amp/

If you're a good worker, you generally are irreplaceable. The retail business is cyclical, I guess they could have forgone their raises for the local store workers so these HQ employees could keep their jobs.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ricepig on August 13, 2017, 05:03:45 pm
If you're a good worker, you generally are irreplaceable. The retail business is cyclical, I guess they could have forgone their raises for the local store workers so these HQ employees could keep their jobs.

Everyone is replaceable. Unless you are the owner.  They don't care about employees. My wife is a very hard worker and people were very surprised she was one of the let go, but she was also in it over 10 years.  Look at the many home office people that have been let go, most of them were over 10 years or more in the company. 

hobhog

Quote from: ricepig on August 13, 2017, 05:03:45 pm

60 Minutes doing story on this subject as we speak.....

ricepig

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 13, 2017, 06:18:55 pm
Everyone is replaceable. Unless you are the owner.  They don't care about employees. My wife is a very hard worker and people were very surprised she was one of the let go, but she was also in it over 10 years.  Look at the many home office people that have been let go, most of them were over 10 years or more in the company. 

Well, if it was well understood that they don't care about employees, then it shouldn't have come as a surprise. I'm sorry that she was in layoffs, but that happens at every business from time to time.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: GuvHog on August 11, 2017, 01:27:27 pm
For the Waltons, Tyson's, and J.B. Hunt family, 5 Mill a piece would be chicken feed to them. That being said, it ain't happening.

Funny how fans are always so loose with other peoples' money.

Al Boarland

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 12, 2017, 03:55:53 am
Shhhh don't be sensible with Guv, he's been arguing with me
For a week that these rich boosters would just write a check to buyout Bielema.   What he doesn't understand though IS MONEY!!!!   Small minds think small.

That is not how the power structure is set up at the UofA. Some places the big money guys have a lot of pull. This isn't one of them.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on August 13, 2017, 10:32:56 am
I don't think you can count Bielema's first year against him.  Everyone talks about how he is 10-22 in SEC, but if you remove the first 16 SEC games (was able to finally get it going in Second year with two consecutive shutouts), he is 8-8.  While not stellar, 50% is much better than the 32% win % that he is continually credited with. 

I think he turns it around and surprises people this year.

Why would you not count the first year? He couldn't scrape together one freaking SEC win? Unacceptable under any circumstances.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: hobhog on August 13, 2017, 04:52:54 pm

Start your own company and then you can call your own shots.

I'm going to find out a way to bet this Vegas line. Easy money.

Vegas making easy money on stupid fans just like you, they be like:
SCREW Vandy!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ricepig on August 13, 2017, 06:38:36 pm
Well, if it was well understood that they don't care about employees, then it shouldn't have come as a surprise. I'm sorry that she was in layoffs, but that happens at every business from time to time.

I understand sometimes you have to layoff people because you truly are going under if not.  That is not the case with Walmart. 

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 13, 2017, 07:24:22 pm
Why would you not count the first year? He couldn't scrape together one freaking SEC win? Unacceptable under any circumstances.
Oh I do that all the time, I really enjoyed us going 7-0 last season.

EastexHawg

Quote from: 870hogfan on August 13, 2017, 10:31:50 am
Funny how our fans think they know more than the coach.

Dumb as they are, most of them can read a scoreboard.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 13, 2017, 08:43:25 pm
I understand sometimes you have to layoff people because you truly are going under if not.  That is not the case with Walmart.

They lay people off to keep their margins up and investors making money. 

It sucks to hear about your wife, but it obvious your opinion is skewed because it hits close to
Home. 

Inhogswetrust

August 14, 2017, 06:27:10 am #91 Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:06:28 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: nchogg on August 13, 2017, 06:29:04 am
I could care less with anything Vegas says.

Vegas doesn't stay in business by people winning bets............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

August 14, 2017, 06:43:18 am #93 Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:02:06 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 13, 2017, 04:50:47 pm

You mean we live in a capitalistic world? Who knew! Maybe buying a bunch of their stock would have cushioned the blow. That's the people they answer too. Companies have no obligation to employ someone forever. It's business and business is cutthroat. Sorry for her losing her job and I'm not trying to be mean spirited but today one shouldn't expect to be in the same job or work for the same company for that many years. Flexibility is the key. When I worked for others I was as loyal as my next paycheck because I knew that's how loyal a company would be.

nchogg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 13, 2017, 08:43:25 pm
I have friends that work at Lowes. They had a 5 year plan which is in it's 4th year. They have cut down on full time managers. They also cut hours on full time employees and have laid off others and replaced with part time. They have cut down on associates that assist customers. Now they are cutting down on department managers. Don't like going there because many times they have one or two working two to three departments. I have done service work for many retail stores and have seen these things in other stores including Walmart. If someone wants to disagree with higgie then go into some retail stores and ask the employees.

bob slydell

No matter what folks think about Bielema's buyout or Long's patience level, I just don't buy that the odds favor Bielema being on the thinnest ice in the SEC.  The program would have to completely implode for him to be fired while Sumlin, Gus, and Butch probably don't survive mediocre seasons.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

NuttinItUp

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/news/ncaaf/mega-odds/

Some of the other bets they list are interesting too. TDs scored, who will be the starting QB for certain teams, etc.

All of the coaches:

Jim Mora (UCLA): 9/1
Todd Graham (Arizona State): 15/1
Rich Rodriguez (Arizona): 15/1
Bret Bielema (Arkansas): 16/1
Gus Malzahn (Auburn): 17/1
Hugh Freeze (Ole Miss): 18/1
Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M): 18/1
Kliff Kingsbury (Texas Tech): 18/1
Lane Kiffin (FAU): 25/1
Butch Jones (Tennessee): 30/1
Brian Kelly (Notre Dame): 30/1
Steve Addazio (Boston College): 30/1
Mark Dantonio (Michigan State): 30/1
Dave Doeren (N.C. State): 35/1
Lovie Smith (Illinois): 35/1
Willie Taggart (Oregon): 35/1
Mike Riley (Nebraska): 40/1
Kirk Ferentz (Iowa): 250/1
Nick Saban (Alabama): 1,000/1

They crossed out Hugh Freeze and listed a disclaimer because he technically resigned and wasn't fired.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on August 13, 2017, 08:55:27 pm
Oh I do that all the time, I really enjoyed us going 7-0 last season.

Truly an uncommon record.

hobhog

How many times does it have to be said that he needs to have a good year this year to be secure next year? No one would have fired him after this year so why keep beating the dead horse?

Good gawd August 31 can't get here soon enough....

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on August 14, 2017, 09:09:50 am
How many times does it have to be said that he needs to have a good year this year to be secure next year? No one would have fired him after this year so why keep beating the dead horse?

Good gawd August 31 can't get here soon enough....

Lol, August 31 won't make a difference, I wish it would though......