Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you Like Chuck Barrett as the Voice of the Razorbacks?

Started by Peter Porker, August 11, 2017, 09:36:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like Chuck Barrett as the Voice of the Razorbacks?

Yes
No
Frito Pie

Peter Porker

Personally, I do not like his voice for football. IMO he was always better at baseball. I wish we could get someone else. I'm not a fan of the high-pitched "Touchdown Arkansas".
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

JIHawg

I will never forgive Chuckbutt for his undying loyalty to Bozo/Hootie.  I still want him gone, gone, gone.

Wildhog

I think he's good enough.

He's outstanding at baseball.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Andrew Hogfan

WPS!!!

Peter Porker

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hogsanity

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 11, 2017, 09:46:02 am
Nothing is new under the sun.

Hogville really only has 5 main subjects:

1 - A great recruiter would tear it up here, we'er set up for greatness

2- BB can't get it done

3- Long is a carpetbagger who loves mediocre football

4- HDN  ( included in that is anyone who supported him, like Chuck )

5 - Petrino should/should not have been fired.

If these 5 topics were banned, this place would be a posting desert
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Quote from: hogsanity on August 11, 2017, 09:54:55 am

2- BB can't get it done

Make that 6. WMS is a dump/all home games should be played there.

riccoar

Quote from: hogsanity on August 11, 2017, 09:54:55 am

2- BB can't get it done

That, and you would have like 39,836 less posts.

razorcash2

A lil too high pitched for me....strange thing is, I really like him doing baseball, just not football.

razorbackfan86

GolfnHog

He's decent enough but he's no Paul Eells, nor will he ever be. He's outstanding in baseball though.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

HoopS

I didn't like his comparison back in the day.

I've gotten over most of it though.

At times I do like his calling. You can hear the right emotion in his voice vs some who are boring and you can't tell if it's something good or bad setting up to happen. If that makes sense.

I'm good with him. I have other things to be stressed about.

sowmonella

All you have to do is listen to the other "Voice of's" in the SEC to see we have a pretty good guy in Chuck.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hogsanity

Guess I did not realize how many people still actually listen to the radio for football.

jgphillips3

I would much rather have had Steve Sullivan or Scott Inman.  I liked Barrett on baseball.  I don't enjoy him on football.  So I'm going no.

Peter Porker

Quote from: razorcash2 on August 11, 2017, 10:07:03 am
A lil too high pitched for me....strange thing is, I really like him doing baseball, just not football.

I agree.

East Clintwood

No, will not listen for more than a couple of minutes at a time.  He's awful for football.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Seebs

His loyalty to HDN instead of the University was sickening. I'm getting over it.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

hogsanity

Quote from: Seebs on August 11, 2017, 10:39:36 am
His loyalty to HDN instead of the University was sickening. I'm getting over it.

His loyalty was to the university, and to the guy the university was paying to be the football coach. Did anyone really expect him to go on his show and bite the hand that was feeding him?

Seebs

Quote from: hogsanity on August 11, 2017, 10:43:06 am
His loyalty was to the university, and to the guy the university was paying to be the football coach. Did anyone really expect him to go on his show and bite the hand that was feeding him?
I expected him to remain neutral on the controversy and not attack the fanbase.   His Terrorists comment may have been off the cuff, but it was made. 
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

hogsanity

Quote from: Seebs on August 11, 2017, 10:46:11 am
I expected him to remain neutral on the controversy and not attack the fanbase.   His Terrorists comment may have been off the cuff, but it was made. 

Right, when people were calling in and saying the things they were saying, he was just supposed to not defend the school that he was calling baseball games for ( not sure if he was doing any other games at that point or not ).

The amazing thing was the calls he let on the air to start with. He could have just not allowed anyone to come on and be critical of the coach or the admin, but he did not do that.

BigE_23

Chuck had it rough from the start because he was replacing a legend. My biggest complaint of Chuck, other than his loyalty to HDN, is that he uses "Touchdown Arkansas!"

Those words belong to Paul.

Seebs

Quote from: hogsanity on August 11, 2017, 10:50:03 am
Right, when people were calling in and saying the things they were saying, he was just supposed to not defend the school that he was calling baseball games for ( not sure if he was doing any other games at that point or not ).

The amazing thing was the calls he let on the air to start with. He could have just not allowed anyone to come on and be critical of the coach or the admin, but he did not do that.

We agree. He was in a tough spot and is a talent with the mic. Like I said, I'm over it, kinda. Look what happened to Joe Kline for being too 'critical' .

HoopS

Poker_hog

They still do radio for football games?  Some of you guys not own a tv?
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Peter Porker

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 11, 2017, 11:06:38 am

Yes, but when the school puts out highlight clips they use the radio commentary. Ever watch those?

Edit: his call on 4th and 25 was way better than that guy from CBS. His call was the worse I have ever heard on a play that spectacular.

Hawgey-Davidson

Quote from: sowmonella on August 11, 2017, 10:18:36 am
All you have to do is listen to the other "Voice of's" in the SEC to see we have a pretty good guy in Chuck.
This. Used to have to travel the SEC footprint on weekends. Listened to alot of SEC games the majority were just awful. Chuck is no Paul but he does a pretty good job IMO. Btw, baseball was his calling. He probably would have done well on the MLB level.

GO

Thankful all games are on TV now and I don't have to listen to him.

Hogs run wild

He's no Paul, but he's not bad either. I think Scott Enman (sp) would do good too. And as for color, I like Rick Schaeffer. He's corny as can be, but the guy has a wealth of Razorback knowledge.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

BigE_23

Quote from: Hogs run wild on August 11, 2017, 11:29:32 am
He's no Paul, but he's not bad either. I think Scott Enman (sp) would do good too. And as for color, I like Rick Schaeffer. He's corny as can be, but the guy has a wealth of Razorback knowledge.
I'm not sold on the idea of Schaeffer. Never minded him for B-ball, but in football he's clueless. I'm just glad the former Oklahoma TE is no longer in our broadcast booth!

GuvHog

Quote from: BigE_23 on August 11, 2017, 11:33:43 am
I'm not sold on the idea of Schaeffer. Never minded him for B-ball, but in football he's clueless. I'm just glad the former Oklahoma TE is no longer in our broadcast booth!

My guess is Keith will show up in the both as a guest every now and then when he's attending a game.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Chuck is nothing spectacular but he does a pretty good job..

Paul Eels was good but for me, no one will ever be as good as the late Bud Campbell. I'll never forget the many times my family sat around the radio waiting for him to say "The Arkansas Razorbacks are on the air!!".

Sed76

Quote from: hogsanity on August 11, 2017, 10:20:49 am
Guess I did not realize how many people still actually listen to the radio for football.

This. Ever since they did the deal where every game is televised haven't even thought about who is doing the radio broadcast.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: BigE_23 on August 11, 2017, 10:51:44 am
Chuck had it rough from the start because he was replacing a legend. My biggest complaint of Chuck, other than his loyalty to HDN, is that he uses "Touchdown Arkansas!"

Those words belong to Paul.
So how else is he supposed to say "touchdown Arkansas"?  This thread has turned dumb.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

GuvHog

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 11, 2017, 11:06:38 am

The radio Broadcast comes in handy when one is in the car and traveling. With satellite radio, one is not constantly having to find a new station to listen to the game on.

hoss cartrack

No.
Zero talent.
Boring.
Uses Paul's phrases.
Annoying voice.
Disloyal.  He should have helped HDN move to Ole Missed and helped him "love this helmet".

I'll admit that anyone who took that job after Paul was in a no win situation.  The fact that it is this guy only makes it worse.
hey baby....you look like a real bad idea.   come on over herel

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on August 11, 2017, 11:45:52 am
My guess is Keith will show up in the both as a guest every now and then when he's attending a game.

I think OU offered more for him coming to games...........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

allredhog

Quote from: GuvHog on August 11, 2017, 11:47:37 am
Chuck is nothing spectacular but he does a pretty good job..

Paul Eels was good but for me, no one will ever be as good as the late Bud Campbell. I'll never forget the many times my family sat around the radio waiting for him to say "The Arkansas Razorbacks are on the air!!".

AMEN!
A redhead married a redhead and had redheaded children and all are HOGS!

LRrazorback

For some reason he's good/great at baseball and paints the picture so well but football he's absolutely horrible. I used to love listening to Paul while watching games on tv, I tried it several years ago with chuck and haven't done it again. Painful

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 11, 2017, 12:08:58 pm
I think OU offered more for him coming to games...........................

No, he's splitting time between the U of A games and the Illinois games to watch his 2 sons play. That's why he stepped down.

davehog

I do not like Chuck for football. I hate to admit it but I have never been able to get over the things he said during the end of the HDN era. 

I realize that was a crazy time but based on the absurdity of his commentary on the radio he should not have anything to do with the program whatsoever.  Ever.

With that being said the best person for the job would be Justin Acri. He's great doing the UCA broadcasts.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

phadedhawg

Quote from: GolfnHog on August 11, 2017, 10:12:50 am
He's decent enough but he's no Paul Eells, nor will he ever be. He's outstanding in baseball though.

Chuck is alright but he's following a legend, a legend I grew up listening to.  It's impossible for him to fill those shoes in my eyes.