Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

this year's possible depth chart

Started by flippinhogmana, July 05, 2017, 12:32:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

July 05, 2017, 12:32:46 pm Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:42:51 pm by flippinhogmana
here are most likely scenarios to mix and match in difference matchups and foul situations as I see them until the following year when Dungee and Gaulden become eligible.

this year's possible depth chart

Pg
Malica Monk
Jailyn Mason
Raven Northcross-Baker[/center]

Off guard                           
Jailyn Mason                        
Desmond Cosper
Raven Northcross-Baker                     

Off Guard/Small forward
Desmond Cosper
Bailey Zimmermann
Grayce Spangler
Sydney Stout

Power Forward                        Center/Post
Keiryn Swenson                        Macy Weaver
Taylah Thomas                         Kiara Williams
Kiara Williams                        Taylah Thomas    
Sydney Stout                            

I think we are likely to see Monk, Mason, Cosper, Swenson and Weaver on the floor in preseason.  After that who knows.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams at the five spot either.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see Northcrooss-Baker, Mason, Monk and Cosper in at the same time against some teams with a rebounding Williams or Swenson at the five.

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

LadybackBBFan

Hard to disagree with so many new players that none of us have seen play that must perform to replace Jackson.  Success will depend upon Weaver and Thomas producing plus Williams showing significant progress from her freshman season.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on July 05, 2017, 01:03:38 pm
Hard to disagree with so many new players that none of us have seen play that must perform to replace Jackson.  Success will depend upon Weaver and Thomas producing plus Williams showing significant progress from her freshman season.

thomas has played against topflight competition.  I expect her (especially since she is long) to get a lot of playing time. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

psycHOGlogist

My way-too-soon lineup:

Starter (backup)
1 - Monk (Mason)
2 - Mason (Cosper or Northcross-Baker)
3 - Cosper (Zimmerman)
4 - Swenson (Williams or Thomas)
5 - Williams (Weaver or Thomas)

Spangler and Stout get minutes at the 4 (Stout) or 2 (Spangler, depending on how well she shoots and defends).

BWS

I think Mason and Monk are the only two probable starters. The rest are tossups. I think you may see different starters in the front court early through mid-season. Overall, its going to be a small and inexperienced front court. Pretty much every other team in the SEC has at least four players that are 6-2 or larger. We only have one player.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: BWS on July 05, 2017, 09:28:21 pm
I think Mason and Monk are the only two probable starters. The rest are tossups. I think you may see different starters in the front court early through mid-season. Overall, its going to be a small and inexperienced front court. Pretty much every other team in the SEC has at least four players that are 6-2 or larger. We only have one player.

Cosper is a definite starter.  Its just a question of at the two or three.  Otherwise your observation about height is definitely the case.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on July 06, 2017, 12:25:26 am
Cosper is a definite starter.  Its just a question of at the two or three.  Otherwise your observation about height is definitely the case.
To make her a definite starter, her defense needs to improve.  Mason's also needs to improve her defense.  Swenson is a lock to probably be a starter or at least a top 6th man.

psycHOGlogist

Did Washington under Neighbors play more zone or more man defense? I saw on the video snippet of the defense drill they shared on social media that they were working on zone. That might help some of our players who are weaker on individual defense stay on the floor (and, of course, one would hope they will continue to develop defensive skills).

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on July 06, 2017, 08:45:34 am
Did Washington under Neighbors play more zone or more man defense? I saw on the video snippet of the defense drill they shared on social media that they were working on zone. That might help some of our players who are weaker on individual defense stay on the floor (and, of course, one would hope they will continue to develop defensive skills).
I do not know what his primary defense was.  However, I do believe he is flexible and will play what best fits his team against the opponent.  I agree that a zone can hide some of your weaknesses.  Some coaches despise a zone and don't even practice it until they have to use one (Dykes and Gardner were both that way and publically acknowledged that was their positions). 

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on July 06, 2017, 07:30:36 am
To make her a definite starter, her defense needs to improve.  Mason's also needs to improve her defense.  Swenson is a lock to probably be a starter or at least a top 6th man.

I agree that Swenson will probably start too.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on July 06, 2017, 09:19:44 am
I do not know what his primary defense was.  However, I do believe he is flexible and will play what best fits his team against the opponent.  I agree that a zone can hide some of your weaknesses.  Some coaches despise a zone and don't even practice it until they have to use one (Dykes and Gardner were both that way and publically acknowledged that was their positions).

I have always disdained a coaches mentality that held that your players mold themselves (even if they lacked the ability) to your mindset.  I would rather start out with what is and work on what is to be.  If has always struck me as being by far the most effective and efficient.  You dont get these kids forever and your time with them isn't infinite.  More than anything else, if you coach it right, a zone covers like of height more than any other defense, particularly if you teach boxing out right, and use the right type of zone to neutralize the other team's offensive strength. 

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on July 06, 2017, 08:45:34 am

from what I have seen, it appeared to me that he used matchup zones.  Whether he used that all the time, I couldn't say. 

flippinhogmana

not for this year but the one following-this girl is a gamer!

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Welcome-Chelsea-Dungee-1.jpg

• What kind of teammate are you?
I'm a contributor and a communicator. I complete tasks and push to achieve high standards. I am dependable and authoritative. I communicate game and practice processes with my teammates.
• Is there a significance to your jersey number?
I have always played in No. 22. Every competitive team and school ball team I have always worn No. 22. That was the number my mom played basketball in throughout her high school career. A year ago I changed my jersey number to No. 33. My cousin (more like brother), Reuben, suffered a traumatic brain injury while playing in a high school football game last season and he wore jersey No. 33. I play in jersey No. 33 for Reuben. His number on my back is a reminder that 'Reub' has my back, and I have his.
• What are some of your goals at Arkansas?
o Improving my ball handling skills
— I will spend at least three hours per week of my on time working on ball handling
o Improving my overall shooting percentages from all areas on the floor.
— I will dedicate three hours a week, or more, and shooting different shots from all areas on the floor.
— I want my field percentages to be in the mid-40 percent range and my free throw percentage to be close to 90 percent.
o Continued strength and conditioning
— I will dedicate three hours, or more, a week to strength and conditioning training in my personal time.
o Making my team better.
— I will push myself every practice and set a high standard of performance.
— I will do my best to exceed the coaches' expectations.
o I will do everything it takes to increase the team's overall win percentage every season.
o My biggest goal is to put Arkansas women's basketball back on the map and receive an automatic bid in the NCAA Tournament. I want the state of Arkansas to DANCE with us!
• What are 1-2 things you would tell your younger self?
Don't let one missed shot completely impact your next shot. I would have said to myself "worry about the next one more often".
• What would you name the autobiography of your life and why?
I would name the autobiography of my life " Let it go: Like Water off a Duck's Back". Because, happenings in life that have no real effects should roll off your back.
• What was the last experience that made you a stronger person?
The last experience that made me stronger was transferring to Arkansas.
Parents Names: Chi Dungee
Birthday: May 11
Favorites
What is your favorite food? | Seafood
What's the #1 most played song on your phone? | "I'm the One" by D.J. Khaled
What is one of your favorite quotes? | "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
What is your favorite book? | "Rich Dad Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki
What is your favorite movie? | Pursuit of Happyness
What is your favorite class/subject to study? | Biological Science and Nutrition

LadybackBBFan

I agree.  I specifically love the picture - she looks very determined and her arms show muscle and strength that I do not see in every girl at Arkansas.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on July 13, 2017, 10:34:29 am
I agree.  I specifically love the picture - she looks very determined and her arms show muscle and strength that I do not see in every girl at Arkansas.

She does have some fire!  Her Sapulpa team (coached by a former associate of coach Neighbors) was matched up several times with Mallory Vaughn's ( a player of interest to us at the time) Collinsville team.  As I recall, even though as a guard she wasn't matched up with Vaughn, overall she outplayed her winning tournament MVP several times over a two year time period I followed her and Vaughan.

flippinhogmana

It is my understanding as of Monday all the players are here and are now in individual workouts.

flippinhogmana

Does anyone know the specific rules on individual workouts and what they can include and not include?  Can they do things like three on threes, or five on fives?  When can the coaches be there to instruct and when not?

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on July 18, 2017, 12:02:55 pm
Does anyone know the specific rules on individual workouts and what they can include and not include?  Can they do things like three on threes, or five on fives?  When can the coaches be there to instruct and when not?
I really do not know, but I heard somewhere that it was limited to four players at a time.  Hopefully, someone else really knows what the rules are.

hog63

I don't know exactly but they can practice as a team for a set number of hrs a week and its very limited something like 2 hrs a week which they spread out over like three day. This is on top of the individual workouts

BWS

Off topic but Coach Cummings is now an assistant at Tulsa.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: BWS on July 18, 2017, 02:33:00 pm
Off topic but Coach Cummings is now an assistant at Tulsa.

Yes, glad to see her land a good gig.

flippinhogmana

In the video posted on (assistant coaches make a difference) on the school site, arkansasrazorbacks.com, I see every player in the squad in the scrimmage (practice, more drills than a full scrimmage) except Macy Weaver.  Does anyone know anything about how the drills and preseason is going, and how Macy is doing?

MP24

January 01, 2019, 08:53:32 am »
I love me some Chelsea Dungee.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on August 16, 2017, 11:50:40 pm
In the video posted on (assistant coaches make a difference) on the school site, arkansasrazorbacks.com, I see every player in the squad in the scrimmage (practice, more drills than a full scrimmage) except Macy Weaver.  Does anyone know anything about how the drills and preseason is going, and how Macy is doing?

Macy was in the drills.  One of the coaches talked to her after Stout made the shot out front.  She was in the black shirt.  Coach said you have to call for the ball in that situation.  She is also listed on the roster.

psycHOGlogist

I didn't see Cosper, but I might have missed her. But I definitely saw what LBBBF is talking about re: Weaver.

I think it's all good - and I loved that video, fwiw. Volleyball has a similar one out there today:

https://twitter.com/RazorbackVB/status/898207898408439808

flippinhogmana

thanks to both of you.  I looked through it three times.  i was looking for a white girl at least two inches taller than the rest and I just didnt pick  her out.  I dd like the coaches interaction with them and I liked the players reactions.

LadybackBBFan

I agree, everything was positive support from the coaches and players.  I am interested to see how coach Mike is with them.  Thomas looked very strong and athletic - I do not think she will be pushed around in the post.  I did not catch everyone either, but I think it is okay as far as I know.

LadybackBBFan

I think that the two women coaches are very likeable and relatable to the girls.  I am following them on Twitter and they impress me.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on August 17, 2017, 01:57:07 pm
I think that the two women coaches are very likeable and relatable to the girls.  I am following them on Twitter and they impress me.

I agree about Thomas and agree with your other posts too.