Poll: Do you like Chuck Barrett as the Voice of the Razorbacks?

Yes
No
Frito Pie

Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Peter Porker on 11 Aug 2017
  • Personally, I do not like his voice for football. IMO he was always better at baseball. I wish we could get someone else. I'm not a fan of the high-pitched "Touchdown Arkansas".
  • #2 by supersaint on 11 Aug 2017
  • Yes. 
  • #3 by JIHawg on 11 Aug 2017
  • I will never forgive Chuckbutt for his undying loyalty to Bozo/Hootie.  I still want him gone, gone, gone.
  • #4 by Wildhog on 11 Aug 2017
  • I think he's good enough.

He's outstanding at baseball.
  • #5 by ricepig on 11 Aug 2017
  • Maybe if this guy is great on the SEC+ games, he'll get a look?

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/dolan-to-join-razorback-sports-network/
  • #6 by hogsanity on 11 Aug 2017
  • Wow, never seen this thread subject here before.
  • #7 by Andrew Hogfan on 11 Aug 2017
  • Not for football. Baseball yes
  • #8 by Peter Porker on 11 Aug 2017
  • Wow, never seen this thread subject here before.

Nothing is new under the sun.
  • #9 by hogsanity on 11 Aug 2017
  • Nothing is new under the sun.

Hogville really only has 5 main subjects:

1 - A great recruiter would tear it up here, we'er set up for greatness

2- BB can't get it done

3- Long is a carpetbagger who loves mediocre football

4- HDN  ( included in that is anyone who supported him, like Chuck )

5 - Petrino should/should not have been fired.

If these 5 topics were banned, this place would be a posting desert
  • #10 by Karma on 11 Aug 2017
  • Hogville really only has 5 main subjects:

2- BB can't get it done

Make that 6. WMS is a dump/all home games should be played there.
  • #11 by riccoar on 11 Aug 2017
  • Hogville really only has 5 main subjects:

2- BB can't get it done

That, and you would have like 39,836 less posts.
  • #12 by razorcash2 on 11 Aug 2017
  • A lil too high pitched for me....strange thing is, I really like him doing baseball, just not football.
  • #13 by razorbackfan86 on 11 Aug 2017
  • Yes.
  • #14 by GolfnHog on 11 Aug 2017
  • He's decent enough but he's no Paul Eells, nor will he ever be. He's outstanding in baseball though.
  • #15 by HoopS on 11 Aug 2017
  • I didn't like his comparison back in the day.

I've gotten over most of it though.

At times I do like his calling. You can hear the right emotion in his voice vs some who are boring and you can't tell if it's something good or bad setting up to happen. If that makes sense.

I'm good with him. I have other things to be stressed about.
  • #16 by sowmonella on 11 Aug 2017
  • All you have to do is listen to the other "Voice of's" in the SEC to see we have a pretty good guy in Chuck.
  • #17 by hogsanity on 11 Aug 2017
  • Guess I did not realize how many people still actually listen to the radio for football.
  • #18 by jgphillips3 on 11 Aug 2017
  • I would much rather have had Steve Sullivan or Scott Inman.  I liked Barrett on baseball.  I don't enjoy him on football.  So I'm going no.
  • #19 by Peter Porker on 11 Aug 2017
  • A lil too high pitched for me....strange thing is, I really like him doing baseball, just not football.

I agree.
  • #20 by East Clintwood on 11 Aug 2017
  • No, will not listen for more than a couple of minutes at a time.  He's awful for football.
  • #21 by Porked Tongue on 11 Aug 2017
  • I don't not like him.
  • #22 by Ex-Trumpet on 11 Aug 2017
  • #23 by Seebs on 11 Aug 2017
  • His loyalty to HDN instead of the University was sickening. I'm getting over it.
  • #24 by hogsanity on 11 Aug 2017
  • His loyalty to HDN instead of the University was sickening. I'm getting over it.

His loyalty was to the university, and to the guy the university was paying to be the football coach. Did anyone really expect him to go on his show and bite the hand that was feeding him?
  • #25 by Seebs on 11 Aug 2017
  • His loyalty was to the university, and to the guy the university was paying to be the football coach. Did anyone really expect him to go on his show and bite the hand that was feeding him?
    I expected him to remain neutral on the controversy and not attack the fanbase.   His Terrorists comment may have been off the cuff, but it was made. 
  • #26 by hogsanity on 11 Aug 2017
  • I expected him to remain neutral on the controversy and not attack the fanbase.   His Terrorists comment may have been off the cuff, but it was made. 

Right, when people were calling in and saying the things they were saying, he was just supposed to not defend the school that he was calling baseball games for ( not sure if he was doing any other games at that point or not ).

The amazing thing was the calls he let on the air to start with. He could have just not allowed anyone to come on and be critical of the coach or the admin, but he did not do that.
  • #27 by BigE_23 on 11 Aug 2017
  • Chuck had it rough from the start because he was replacing a legend. My biggest complaint of Chuck, other than his loyalty to HDN, is that he uses "Touchdown Arkansas!"

Those words belong to Paul.
  • #28 by Seebs on 11 Aug 2017
  • Right, when people were calling in and saying the things they were saying, he was just supposed to not defend the school that he was calling baseball games for ( not sure if he was doing any other games at that point or not ).

The amazing thing was the calls he let on the air to start with. He could have just not allowed anyone to come on and be critical of the coach or the admin, but he did not do that.

We agree. He was in a tough spot and is a talent with the mic. Like I said, I'm over it, kinda. Look what happened to Joe Kline for being too 'critical' .
  • #29 by HoopS on 11 Aug 2017
  • I don't not like him.
    I won't not positively disagree to the contrary.
  • #30 by Poker_hog on 11 Aug 2017
  • They still do radio for football games?  Some of you guys not own a tv?
  • #31 by bythelake on 11 Aug 2017
  • Yes, he does fine.
  • #32 by Peter Porker on 11 Aug 2017

Yes, but when the school puts out highlight clips they use the radio commentary. Ever watch those?

Edit: his call on 4th and 25 was way better than that guy from CBS. His call was the worse I have ever heard on a play that spectacular.
  • #33 by Hawgey-Davidson on 11 Aug 2017
  • All you have to do is listen to the other "Voice of's" in the SEC to see we have a pretty good guy in Chuck.
    This. Used to have to travel the SEC footprint on weekends. Listened to alot of SEC games the majority were just awful. Chuck is no Paul but he does a pretty good job IMO. Btw, baseball was his calling. He probably would have done well on the MLB level.
  • #34 by GO on 11 Aug 2017
  • Thankful all games are on TV now and I don't have to listen to him.
  • #35 by Hogs run wild on 11 Aug 2017
  • He's no Paul, but he's not bad either. I think Scott Enman (sp) would do good too. And as for color, I like Rick Schaeffer. He's corny as can be, but the guy has a wealth of Razorback knowledge.
  • #36 by BigE_23 on 11 Aug 2017
  • He's no Paul, but he's not bad either. I think Scott Enman (sp) would do good too. And as for color, I like Rick Schaeffer. He's corny as can be, but the guy has a wealth of Razorback knowledge.
    I'm not sold on the idea of Schaeffer. Never minded him for B-ball, but in football he's clueless. I'm just glad the former Oklahoma TE is no longer in our broadcast booth!
  • #37 by GuvHog on 11 Aug 2017
  • I'm not sold on the idea of Schaeffer. Never minded him for B-ball, but in football he's clueless. I'm just glad the former Oklahoma TE is no longer in our broadcast booth!

My guess is Keith will show up in the both as a guest every now and then when he's attending a game.
  • #38 by GuvHog on 11 Aug 2017
  • Chuck is nothing spectacular but he does a pretty good job..

Paul Eels was good but for me, no one will ever be as good as the late Bud Campbell. I'll never forget the many times my family sat around the radio waiting for him to say "The Arkansas Razorbacks are on the air!!".
  • #39 by Sed76 on 11 Aug 2017
  • Guess I did not realize how many people still actually listen to the radio for football.

This. Ever since they did the deal where every game is televised haven't even thought about who is doing the radio broadcast.
  • #40 by Hog_Swanson on 11 Aug 2017
  • Chuck had it rough from the start because he was replacing a legend. My biggest complaint of Chuck, other than his loyalty to HDN, is that he uses "Touchdown Arkansas!"

Those words belong to Paul.
    So how else is he supposed to say "touchdown Arkansas"?  This thread has turned dumb.
  • #41 by GuvHog on 11 Aug 2017

The radio Broadcast comes in handy when one is in the car and traveling. With satellite radio, one is not constantly having to find a new station to listen to the game on.
  • #42 by hoss cartrack on 11 Aug 2017
  • No.
    Zero talent.
    Boring.
    Uses Paul's phrases.
    Annoying voice.
    Disloyal.  He should have helped HDN move to Ole Missed and helped him "love this helmet".

I'll admit that anyone who took that job after Paul was in a no win situation.  The fact that it is this guy only makes it worse.
  • #43 by Inhogswetrust on 11 Aug 2017
  • My guess is Keith will show up in the both as a guest every now and then when he's attending a game.

I think OU offered more for him coming to games...........................
  • #44 by allredhog on 11 Aug 2017
  • Chuck is nothing spectacular but he does a pretty good job..

Paul Eels was good but for me, no one will ever be as good as the late Bud Campbell. I'll never forget the many times my family sat around the radio waiting for him to say "The Arkansas Razorbacks are on the air!!".

AMEN!
  • #45 by LRrazorback on 11 Aug 2017
  • For some reason he's good/great at baseball and paints the picture so well but football he's absolutely horrible. I used to love listening to Paul while watching games on tv, I tried it several years ago with chuck and haven't done it again. Painful
  • #46 by GuvHog on 11 Aug 2017
  • I think OU offered more for him coming to games...........................

No, he's splitting time between the U of A games and the Illinois games to watch his 2 sons play. That's why he stepped down.
  • #47 by Pig Power on 11 Aug 2017
  • Chuck's OK IMO
  • #48 by davehog on 11 Aug 2017
  • I do not like Chuck for football. I hate to admit it but I have never been able to get over the things he said during the end of the HDN era. 

I realize that was a crazy time but based on the absurdity of his commentary on the radio he should not have anything to do with the program whatsoever.  Ever.

With that being said the best person for the job would be Justin Acri. He's great doing the UCA broadcasts.
  • #49 by code red on 11 Aug 2017
  • He is fine.  GO HOGS.
  • #50 by phadedhawg on 11 Aug 2017
  • He's decent enough but he's no Paul Eells, nor will he ever be. He's outstanding in baseball though.

Chuck is alright but he's following a legend, a legend I grew up listening to.  It's impossible for him to fill those shoes in my eyes. 

Pages:
Actions