Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Walker Making Waves with Linebackers

Started by gdumont, August 10, 2017, 10:46:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gdumont

bomberman23

It is certainly good to see the players enjoying their new coach. However, I will hold my judgement on Walker "making waves" until 5-6 games into the season. This position group clearly has potential and talent, but being the first year that any of these guys have played the position (Razor and Hog) I cant help but be a little skeptical. If this article proves true and he has changed the culture in the linebacker room, we will see it on the field. We will see the defense setting the edge better, forcing the run inside, and making things chaotic for the opposing teams tackles, running backs, and quarterbacks. Best of luck to Coach W and the LB guys!

MS_HogFan

I thought the article was going to be about Dee Walker.

Coach Walker seems to be a good guy. Always smiling.
SOOIE

razorcash2

Quote from: MS_HogFan on August 11, 2017, 08:40:29 am

Always smiling?

Is he another "player's coach"? I usually cringe when I hear that.

longpig

Quote from: MS_HogFan on August 11, 2017, 08:40:29 am

That guy is wired for sound, no doubt.  Hope he can coach.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Smalltownhog95

I love that word Eugene used. Brotherhood. Brothers bond, brothers fight, and brothers challenge you to be better. Its something i was lucky to have in high school. If they really are coming together I believe we'll see it.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on August 11, 2017, 06:49:58 pm
I love that word Eugene used. Brotherhood. Brothers bond, brothers fight, and brothers challenge you to be better. Its something i was lucky to have in high school. If they really are coming together I believe we'll see it.
Well said.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

nwahogfan1

I'm glad guys like him but I reserve by comments about his coaching until I see the Lbs on the field.  Also I want to see his LB signees.

Tusks

The D is really an enigma wrapped in a conundrum.

They looked horrible, like historically horrible last year.  If you look at the recruiting rankings it's not like they had the worst signing of defensive players in the history of the UA yet here they are.  Hopefully fans find out that the problem was just plain old coaching.  Coaching D is more than just X's and O's.  There's a lot of attitude that goes into coaching D.  I'm hoping fans find out that was the problem.  To swarm to the ball and and play balls out takes attitude and that's the kind of attitude the D needs.

Let's hope that solves most the problems.  You can't tell me that the hogs can't recruit defensive players to the UA to not produce a top 50 defense year in and year out.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

onebadrubi

Quote from: tusked on August 14, 2017, 12:29:21 pm
The D is really an enigma wrapped in a conundrum.

They looked horrible, like historically horrible last year.  If you look at the recruiting rankings it's not like they had the worst signing of defensive players in the history of the UA yet here they are.  Hopefully fans find out that the problem was just plain old coaching.  Coaching D is more than just X's and O's.  There's a lot of attitude that goes into coaching D.  I'm hoping fans find out that was the problem.  To swarm to the ball and and play balls out takes attitude and that's the kind of attitude the D needs.

Let's hope that solves most the problems.  You can't tell me that the hogs can't recruit defensive players to the UA to not produce a top 50 defense year in and year out.

It definitely appears Bielema made decisions to show where he saw the fault was, mainly being Smith and Rory.  I think we will make some misses because the new D, but I bet we improve over all because we do have some good talent there and well we just can't really do much worse overall.

jm

LB's has been a weak position group throughout the tenure of 4 or 5 different position coaches. I don't expect this year to be much different. We simply have not recruited linebackers in adequate numbers and ability since before Danny Ford was here. Hopefully we have 3 or 4 guys that can surpass expectations.

GuvHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 14, 2017, 12:36:35 pm
It definitely appears Bielema made decisions to show where he saw the fault was, mainly being Smith and Rory.  I think we will make some misses because the new D, but I bet we improve over all because we do have some good talent there and well we just can't really do much worse overall.

Rory was more of a casualty of the switch to the 3-4. He was 4-3 D line coach but had never coached the D line in a 3-4 defense.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

onebadrubi

Quote from: GuvHog on August 14, 2017, 03:25:26 pm
Rory was more of a casualty of the switch to the 3-4. He was 4-3 D line coach but had never coached the D line in a 3-4 defense.

He wasn't making it past last year regardless