Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA Response to Ole Miss

Started by rhog1, August 10, 2017, 07:04:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sickboy

All joking aside, Ole Miss deserves to get hammered.

Justifiable Hogicide

Sivad

Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, about your cheating, lying to investigators and Archie Manning, calling prostitutes, paying players, disparaging your fellow Reverend H.D. Nutt, Briarcrest perversions and all of your sordid hypocrisy?

kp72204

The real question is........Since they won't EVER give another program the death penalty, whats the least amount of punishment they (NCAA) can give and still be deemed credible?

2 year bowl ban and loss of 5 scholarships a year for 3 years is my best guess.

Good job Tunsil for igniting the fire

kodiakisland

Quote from: kp72204 on August 13, 2017, 06:24:19 pm
The real question is........Since they won't EVER give another program the death penalty, whats the least amount of punishment they (NCAA) can give and still be deemed credible?

A show cause against Freeze and some of his assistants has got to be part of it
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

hobhog

Quote from: kodiakisland on August 13, 2017, 06:36:53 pm
A show cause against Freeze and some of his assistants has got to be part of it

Think that's a given. Doesn't effect OM though. 2 year bowl ban is the hammer almost as bad as death penalty. I'm didn't think it would happen but not so sure anymore...

hobhog

Quote from: The ColonelHog on August 14, 2017, 01:15:14 pm
It just shows how little some on HV pay attention to anything other than the hogs.  There was absolutely nothing the NCAA could have done about Penn St.  The NCAA is not a legal arm, it's a rules jurisdiction.  Think what you want but any program with the amount and severity of infractions as Ole Miss is definitely going to get nailed and nailed hard.  Two more years for a total of 3 post season ban and probably the lose of 17-21 schollies over the next 3-5 years.  Reference:  USC and Reggie Bush.  If USC got nailed the way they did for a LOT less, oh you watch, Ole Miss is gonna get pimp slapped!

Three year bowl ban? Did Usc get that? I know they lost a lot of scholarships but don't remember 3 years no post season. But I agree- OM not only did worse, but are not exactly playing nice with the NCAA. Not a good scenario.....

Sivad

And they wanted us to believe their over the top recruiting was just because of the quaint little city of Oxford and their holy roller coach.

hawganatic

Quote from: The ColonelHog on August 14, 2017, 01:15:14 pm
Reference:  USC and Reggie Bush.  If USC got nailed the way they did for a LOT less, oh you watch, Ole Miss is gonna get pimp slapped!

One of the "blue blood" programs in college football got raked over the coals by the NCAA, but people still go on and on about how they don't have the testicular fortitude to cone down on one of the major programs..  Gotta love message board logic...

What most people don't understand is it is extremely hard for the NCAA to prove a case to the point that they can put sanctions in place.  They have to have people go on record, be able to prove the money trail, etc..  It's just not as easy as people think., especially with the NCAA operating on limited resources.

What seems like an open and shut case (like Cam Newton and Auburn) isn't as easy to prove without people willing to GO ON RECORD.

The NCAA has shown when they have verifiable and extensive proof of infractions, they hammer that school to make an example.  I fully expect Ole Miss to get the hammer, and it's probably going to be years before they recover, if ever.

Michael D Huff AIA

Is there a timeline for when we might expect to hear a ruling on Ole Miss?  The NCAA, while painfully inept at the job they have created for themselves, sure leaves their "investigations" open ended.  I guess it could be said that leaving an investigation open ended hurts the school in question in addition to the punishments that are forthcoming. 

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on August 15, 2017, 08:34:46 am
Is there a timeline for when we might expect to hear a ruling on Ole Miss?  The NCAA, while painfully inept at the job they have created for themselves, sure leaves their "investigations" open ended.  I guess it could be said that leaving an investigation open ended hurts the school in question in addition to the punishments that are forthcoming. 

The hearing is 9/11/17 so some time after that I assume
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Shucks, faced with these same facts, BAMA would have a solid answer for every single one and in the end, the NCAA would be apologizing for accusing BAMA of such underhanded doings, knowing full well the great institution would never ever slide to such untoward mishaps.  If you gonna cheat, you need to have an escape plan.  The difference in a great University and a novice University.  I, too, believe OM will be used as an example.  They could ban OM from competing for a Conference Title for 10 years and that is nothing.  OM isn't going to win a conference title anyway. 

HamSammich

Be careful with the pics and stuff guys. Ole miss believe it or not, has a team of bored schmuck lawyers that go after regular people on the internet all the time.

Quote from: HamSammich on August 15, 2017, 10:06:45 am
Be careful with the pics and stuff guys. Ole miss believe it or not, has a team of bored schmuck lawyers that go after regular people on the internet all the time.
There is no liability for attaching pictures of this sort.

redleg

I think a reasonable expectation for a final ruling might be: 2 year bowl ban, 2-3 year ban on division and conference titles, losing 3-5 scholarships over the next 3-5 years each, show cause for Freeze and certain assistants, and the NCAA allowing upper classmen to transfer without penalty. I would think the Ole Miss AD gets fired too.
That would put the Rebs back into the bottom of the division for the foreseeable future. If the Hogs can beat Ole Miss three years in a row when they are cheating (albeit at least one was with some divine luck), then they should beat Mississippi nine out of ten times over the next decade, or longer.
I can also see Mullen (this has nothing to do with OM) leaving Miss. St soon for a better job. He must know that he will never win an SEC title in Starkville. With Sumlin probably on the way out at A&M, the rajun cajun at LSU (I think Orgeron is a great coordinator but a lousy head coach), and Gus' ups and downs at Auburn, maybe Arkansas can be the one real threat to Alabama over the next few years in the West. Maybe!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Karma on August 15, 2017, 10:10:26 am
There is no liability for attaching pictures of this sort.

Correct.  This is obviously satire. 

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Sivad

Quote from: HamSammich on August 15, 2017, 10:06:45 am
Ole Miss' lawyers have their hands full with this little piece of work right now

longpig

Quote from: sickboy on August 12, 2017, 12:52:33 am
All joking aside, Ole Miss deserves to get hammered.

In the knee.  Watching OM swirl the drain for atleast a decade will be way better than the death penalty.   
Don't be scared, be smart.

Birminghog

Quote from: longpig on August 15, 2017, 07:36:34 pm
In the knee.  Watching OM swirl the drain for atleast a decade will be way better than the death penalty.
I don't know, man. Were you around when SMU got the DP? Took them years to get over it.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rhames on August 11, 2017, 07:48:43 am

Sorry but you're wrong. At the very bases the ncaa is a rules committee. Now they may suck at enforcing the rules but they had no real power to do anything in the Penn State case.

It's kind of like saying it's up to border control to deal with North Korea. The ncaa has no jurisdiction to handel legal cases.

That's why they haven't touched Baylor.

I agree with you that there is no reason to believe the ncaa will do anything of significance I just don't think you can use Penn State as an example. Now maybe North Carolina.....

Fyi. Here is the definition:

Institutional control refers to the efforts institutions make to comply with NCAA legislation and to detect and investigate violations that do occur. NCAA member institutions are obligated to maintain appropriate levels of institutional control.

Switzer and OU got nailed in part because of legal issues that happened in the football dorms.

Baylor basketball also got nailed in part for drug use among players.

It has happened before.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: FraggleHog on August 11, 2017, 01:11:09 pm
Doubt they will send the pleasant rednecks from Starkville...

They have have pleasant rednecks in Mississippi?

Ne'er met one.
This is my non-signature signature.

Großer Kriegschwein

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 15, 2017, 11:30:28 pm
comes out the gate SWANGIN'

Installment number three takes us to Land of Rebel Landshucks Ackbar Black Bear Ole Misdials.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollbamaroll.com/platform/amp/2017/8/15/16125868/predicting-the-2017-sec-football-season-ole-miss-rebels-bears-ackbar-shea-patterson

"The Hugh Freeze misdial fiasco..." sure, a pattern of misdials that just happened to be behavior, UNRELATED TO NCAA ALLEGATIONS I ASSURE YOU, unacceptable for the head coach of the ethical titan that is the Ole Miss University

longpig

Quote from: Birminghog on August 15, 2017, 09:04:55 pm
I don't know, man. Were you around when SMU got the DP? Took them years to get over it.

Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember that.  Being hit and miss and not in a P5 I'd say SMU never fully recovered to their SWC days.  I'd rather OM not get the death penalty so we can have that one near guaranteed W every season.  OM is probably in between SCw and SMU in severity of violations so it'll be interesting to see what they get handed.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Birminghog on August 15, 2017, 09:04:55 pm

And it SHOULD take years if things are that bad.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Sivad

rhog1

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: rhog1 on August 16, 2017, 11:05:09 am
Really begs the question was he just calling them for himself or was he using hookers to help him recruit?

Excellent question which is probably being looked in to at this time.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: ricepig on August 16, 2017, 10:59:14 am
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-miss-football/report-freezes-departure-ole-miss-linked-calls-made-recruiting-trips/

Well, boy howdy....

Nuttless had the Holiday Inn...

BP had his motorcycle ride...

Now Ole Beaver had his private jet...betcha he is a "mile high senior member"!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: rhog1 on August 16, 2017, 11:05:09 am
Really begs the question was he just calling them for himself or was he using hookers to help him recruit?

That just doesn't add up in my mind. For practical reasons, if Hugh was engaging the services of hookers while HE was on recruiting trips, then the most logical assumption is that he was arranging for himself to be the recipient of those services.

If he was engaging services of hookers on dates that coincided with when RECRUITS were the ones taking a trip away from home, then you would have something much more suspicious.

As it stands now, the most likely scenario is just that Hugh is just another sleazy traveling business man that pays for strange on the side while out on the road.

hog of steele

Am I wrong in thinking that this is about the same level of nonsense that we saw at USC? I thought USC's punishment was pretty solid. They became struggled mightily for a few years but weren't killed.

As for freeze, can he get a job at last chance U? That should be a thing.

Sivad

247Hog

The 10 Most Shameful College Football Teams (That Are Also Good)

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/shameful-teams-college-football-good.html/11/?ref=cpc_medium

Thought this would be a good read for those posting in this thread.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

KlubhouseKonnected

prattville pig

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 17, 2017, 08:43:45 pm
I am unfamiliar with the work of James Earl.
man, James Earl is extremely talented
Life's too short to last long.

Headhog32

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: tusksincolorado on August 11, 2017, 10:21:26 pm
Just wishful thinking...I want to have this happen so Barner will have something to think about going forward!

Don't get me wrong, I'd like that.

GuvHog

August 18, 2017, 12:53:59 pm #89 Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:05:04 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: kp72204 on August 13, 2017, 06:24:19 pm

The NCAA for all purposes, gave SMU what was essentially a 2 year death penalty since they were only allowed to play a non-conference schedule the year after they were totally shut down along with being banned from post season play, plus I believe the NCAA declared all of the recruiting class that had signed LOIs with them the year they were shut down to be ineligible to play for them. They also hit SMU hard with scholarship reductions the next 2 years.

I don't see Ole miss being hit that hard (even though they deserve it), but I do see them getting a 1 year death penalty, a post season ban for the next year while being allowed to play a regular conference schedule and scholarship reductions the next 2 years.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

NaturalStateReb

I don't think there will be a 2nd year bowl ban. 

I don't think AD Ross Bjork will lose his job.

I do think that that Chris Vaughn, David Saunders, and Barney Farrar will all get show cause orders.  I don't think Hugh Freeze will get a show cause order.

I do think there will be additional scholarship reductions.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Ole Miss with as few as 50-60 scholarship players for a season or two.

I don't think the scholarship reductions extend beyond four years.  My hunch is that they'll last for three.

There are some major things in the case, but there are also a lot of minor things or things in dispute.  When you actually read at the NCAA's entire response, I'm surprised a 4+ year investigation didn't come up with more.  Not that it's not bad enough.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

GuvHog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on August 18, 2017, 04:26:03 pm

I do think that that Chris Vaughn, David Saunders, and Barney Farrar will all get show cause orders.  I don't think Hugh Freeze will get a show cause order.

I do think there will be additional scholarship reductions.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Ole Miss with as few as 50-60 scholarship players for a season or two.

I don't think the scholarship reductions extend beyond four years.  My hunch is that they'll last for three.

There are some major things in the case, but there are also a lot of minor things or things in dispute.  When you actually read at the NCAA's entire response, I'm surprised a 4+ year investigation didn't come up with more.  Not that it's not bad enough.

It can't get any worse than being cited by the NCAA for "Lack of Institutional Control", That's bottom of the barrel.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

onebadrubi

Your thoughts on this topic are worthless.  You've bashed here people calling this what it was months ago.   Swore nothing was coming if it because nothing was happening, blah blah blah.

grayhawg

I think there is a lot of hoping in your post.

MuskogeeHogFan

I would agree if Ole Miss didn't seem to resist being more forthcoming. They argue everything instead of taking responsibility and owning up to all of the wrongdoings. I would cite Freeze's attorney for his statement about the booster he contacted over 200 times, even after the investigation started, who he allegedly and quite innocently, "met at church". Whether true or not, this really looks bad and it is now public knowledge, which makes it look even worse.

Comes a time when a school has to just fess up and take their medicine because continuing to resist and deny and present excuses can make the punishment even worse than it might have been had they just come clean in the beginning. And of course, that is with the assumption that all that has come out is true. But even if it weren't, I would think a school would want to take the route that made them look better, rather than worse. I don't think that Ole Miss is doing a very good job of this at this point.
Go Hogs Go!

Sivad

In an effort to placate the NCAA, Ole Miss has issued stringent new rules for the 2017 season:

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: supersaint on August 10, 2017, 07:32:56 pm
That's a beautiful poem.
Ole Miss hires scumbag.
Said scumbag cheats his arse off.
Now they suck again.

Hugh Freeze loved to cheat.
Tunsil loved accepting bribes.
Match made in heaven.

Two things Ole Miss lacks,
Institutional control,
And wins they can keep.

Just a few haikus for your Sunday afternoon.

"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Justifiable Hogicide

Hoggish1

Quote from: kodiakisland on August 10, 2017, 08:04:59 pm
I usually hate long posts.  That one was great.  Wish it was longer.

Yes, and I read it very slowly to make it last!