Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 18, 2024, 07:52:48 am

Mizzou

Started by azhog10, August 09, 2017, 08:08:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

azhog10

Jontay Porter just reclassified to 2017. Will be at Mizzou for this season.

mizzouman

5 guys who are 6'10 or taller. Quin Snyder had 1 and Mike Anderson had 0.  Could start 6'9, 6'10 and 6'10 with athleticism.

7 players from the Rivals 150 with 2 five star and 1 former 5 star kid.

But, lets see how this plays out.

HogBeliever625

navyhog24

This is their only year to be relevant. They better make the most of it

mizzouman

Hawg Red

Quote from: mizzouman on August 09, 2017, 10:00:17 pm
Would be an improvement.

An improvement and a disappointment all rolled into one.

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

mizzouman

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: mizzouman on August 09, 2017, 10:57:15 pm
Wow, completely different situation.
Same situation. LSU had quite a few 4* 5* players and a coach who couldn't develop them worth a darn.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

husker71

Are you sure Cuonzo cant coach??

rzrbackramsfan

I think I the sec you'll see Kentucky, Florida, Arkansas and A&M all battling it out for top four seeds, then Miss. St, Auburn,  Bama, Vandy, Mizzou and SC will all be battling to be that 5th or maybe even 6th team from the Sec to get in.

History hasn't been kind to lowly bball programs getting s top recruiting class and making the tournament and it's not just mizzou.

MakingPlays

Quote from: mizzouman on August 09, 2017, 10:57:15 pm
Wow, completely different situation.

Seems pretty similar to me as well. Both had the consensus #1 pick on their team and both had a top 10 recruiting class.  I would say LSU actually was in a better situation because the team they had the year before made the tournament and had experience in winning and they didn't have a new coach.  With Missouri those guys are use to losing and have to adjust to a new coach, plus the SEC is much together now than it was in 2015.  I think Missouri will be a bubble team, should be a fun team to watch though.

Who do you think the starters will be?  Are any of the older guys going to get much playing time?  I'm not too familiar with Missouri's new roster.

Hawg Red

Quote from: husker71 on August 10, 2017, 01:53:22 am

There is evidence of him underperforming with very good talent at Cal. He's being propped up by a very fortunate tournament draw his last season at UT. The man can recruit, though. But I would say it is fair for someone to question his coaching chops.

I understand that he was without some good players in the postseason both years at Cal but their regular season records were just okay. If he doesn't make it at Mizzou, it will be because he can't coach.

King Kong

Quote from: husker71 on August 10, 2017, 01:53:22 am

He is better than Johnny Jones. But not that much better

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 10, 2017, 05:33:38 am
There is evidence of him underperforming with very good talent at Cal. He's being propped up by a very fortunate tournament draw his last season at UT. The man can recruit, though. But I would say it is fair for someone to question his coaching chops.

I understand that he was without some good players in the postseason both years at Cal but their regular season records were just okay. If he doesn't make it at Mizzou, it will be because he can't coach.

If only Mike could have gotten the type of NCAA Tournament draw that Cuonzo got at Tennessee. He'd have a couple sweet 16s here at Arkansas.

Cuonzo had multiple 5 stars and McDonald's All Americans at Cal and never did anything. Nothing will change at Mizzou.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 10, 2017, 07:04:10 am
If only Mike could have gotten the type of NCAA Tournament draw that Cuonzo got at Tennessee. He'd have a couple sweet 16s here at Arkansas.

Cuonzo had multiple 5 stars and McDonald's All Americans at Cal and never did anything. Nothing will change at Mizzou.
Don't you think the way for Mike to get a better draw in the NCAAT is to win more games during the season?

mizzouman

Quote from: Hogfan991 on August 09, 2017, 11:17:26 pm
Same situation. LSU had quite a few 4* 5* players and a coach who couldn't develop them worth a darn.
Have you read what Ben Simmons said about his year there?  It would be worth your while.

mizzouman

The_Iceman

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 10, 2017, 08:02:32 am
Don't you think the way for Mike to get a better draw in the NCAAT is to win more games during the season?

No, it's pretty much all about the draw.

mizzouman

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 10, 2017, 02:10:01 am
I think I the sec you'll see Kentucky, Florida, Arkansas and A&M all battling it out for top four seeds, then Miss. St, Auburn,  Bama, Vandy, Mizzou and SC will all be battling to be that 5th or maybe even 6th team from the Sec to get in.

History hasn't been kind to lowly bball programs getting s top recruiting class and making the tournament and it's not just mizzou.
Dang, we've been down for the last 3 years but before that making the NCAAT most of the time.  Kim Anderson killed the program but Haith, Anderson and Snyder had decent years. 

mizzouman

Quote from: MakingPlays on August 10, 2017, 02:13:25 am
Seems pretty similar to me as well. Both had the consensus #1 pick on their team and both had a top 10 recruiting class.  I would say LSU actually was in a better situation because the team they had the year before made the tournament and had experience in winning and they didn't have a new coach.  With Missouri those guys are use to losing and have to adjust to a new coach, plus the SEC is much together now than it was in 2015.  I think Missouri will be a bubble team, should be a fun team to watch though.

Who do you think the starters will be?  Are any of the older guys going to get much playing time?  I'm not too familiar with Missouri's new roster.
Again, LSU is a completely different situation.  Read Ben Simmons.

Starter should be:

G - Phillips, 5'11
G - Robertson 6'3
F - M Porter 6'10
F - Puryear 6'7
C - Tilmon 6'10

J Porter, 6'11; Barnett 6'7; Roberts 6'0; Harris 6'3 off of the bench.

My concern is chemistry.  There may not be enough minutes to go around.

mizzouman

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 10, 2017, 07:04:10 am

We will see.  You cannot compare one situation to another.  They are all different.  Cuonzo may be a bust.  Who knows?  But it should be an exciting journey.

Hawg Red

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 10, 2017, 08:02:32 am

Martin won 20 games in the regular season and got that draw. Higher seeded teams can get tough draws, too. Cuonzo got lucky. Beat Iowa in OT in the play-in game. Then got 6-seed UMass, one of the more over-seeded teams we've seen in recent years. Then got a 14-seed Mercer who blew their wad on upsetting Duke. Now, they did lose to Michigan by two points, so they did play well during the tournament but that is a sweetheart draw and it is quite clearly what has propped Martin up since. Take that away and say they lose in the first round that year.....and he's probably back coaching back in the MVC or at St. Louis instead of Cal and Missouri.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: mizzouman on August 10, 2017, 08:19:00 am
We will see.  You cannot compare one situation to another.  They are all different.  Cuonzo may be a bust.  Who knows?  But it should be an exciting journey.
Quote from: Hawg Red on August 10, 2017, 08:27:05 am
Martin won 20 games in the regular season and got that draw. Higher seeded teams can get tough draws, too. Cuonzo got lucky. Beat Iowa in OT in the play-in game. Then got 6-seed UMass, one of the more over-seeded teams we've seen in recent years. Then got a 14-seed Mercer who blew their wad on upsetting Duke. Now, they did lose to Michigan by two points, so they did play well during the tournament but that is a sweetheart draw and it is quite clearly what has propped Martin up since. Take that away and say they lose in the first round that year.....and he's probably back coaching back in the MVC or at St. Louis instead of Cal and Missouri.

I am not a  big Martin fan.  But apparently the guy can recruit and he can win maybe just up to a point.  But over time if he can recruit well and if he can get good assistants around him then I assume he will start winning more of those big games.   He makes me nervous.   He is definitely bringing excitement back to Mizzou fans.   Many SEC teams are playing big bucks to sign top Coaches.  Coaches with big national foot prints with national exposures.  Mike is going to have to raise his game up a notch and it starts with recruiting.

Go Hogs

We all know it only takes one good recruiting class to change your team into a winner.   I think Mizzou is back.

navyhog24

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 10, 2017, 09:18:53 am
I am not a  big Martin fan.  But apparently the guy can recruit and he can win maybe just up to a point.  But over time if he can recruit well and if he can get good assistants around him then I assume he will start winning more of those big games.   He makes me nervous.   He is definitely bringing excitement back to Mizzou fans.   Many SEC teams are playing big bucks to sign top Coaches.  Coaches with big national foot prints with national exposures.  Mike is going to have to raise his game up a notch and it starts with recruiting.

Go Hogs

We all know it only takes one good recruiting class to change your team into a winner.   I think Mizzou is back.

As long as he keeps hiring the no. 1 player in each class' dad, he'll do well

mizzouman

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 10, 2017, 09:18:53 am

Go Hogs

In terms of talent, there's no shortage of that.  Now, whether Martin can gel this together and win at a high level remains to be seen.  He's got all the resources he needs and AD Sterk made sure of that.  Now, it's up to him to deliver.

mizzouman

Quote from: navyhog24 on August 10, 2017, 09:47:13 am
As long as he keeps hiring the no. 1 player in each class' dad, he'll do well
Do what you have to do within the rules.  Porter Sr. has very strong ties to Mizzou and the community.  It's not like the Danny Manning scenario.   

Hogimus Prime

I'm gonna have to take a wait and see aproach with Martin at Mizzou, especially with the talent he has gathered this summer.  IMO Tom Crean and Thad Matta are  better coaches than  Martin and neither did anything really with the talent they brought in to their schools.  Matta had a national title apperance but nothing after that. Crean has Indiana ranked high one season but they didn't finish too.  At the end of both of their tenures are their respective schools neither were really bringing in the talent they did when they first arrived.

mizzouman

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on August 10, 2017, 10:29:19 am
I'm gonna have to take a wait and see aproach with Martin at Mizzou, especially with the talent he has gathered this summer.  IMO Tom Crean and Thad Matta are  better coaches than  Martin and neither did anything really with the talent they brought in to their schools.  Matta had a national title apperance but nothing after that. Crean has Indiana ranked high one season but they didn't finish too.  At the end of both of their tenures are their respective schools neither were really bringing in the talent they did when they first arrived.
Wait and see, I think most Mizzou fans would agree.  Let's just see what happens.

Crean did underachieve but he basically started with nothing a IU.  I MEAN NOTHING.  He gradually brought it back to, at least, a respectful program.  But, the powers that be at IU, want National Championships.

MakingPlays

Quote from: mizzouman on August 10, 2017, 08:17:12 am

Starter should be:

G - Phillips, 5'11
G - Robertson 6'3
F - M Porter 6'10
F - Puryear 6'7
C - Tilmon 6'10

Yea you're right, chemistry will be the issue.  I just looked at their roster.  So, looks like some vets like VanLeer and Gheist are going to get left out of the rotation that played last year.  Also, kinda sucks for Mitchell Smith, no way he's going to make the rotation. 

The starting lineup does looks exciting.  You don't think Barnett starts ahead of Puryear though?  Barnett was a guy that I remember very well from last year, wasn't he the leading scorer? 

mizzouman

Quote from: MakingPlays on August 10, 2017, 02:11:16 pm
Yea you're right, chemistry will be the issue.  I just looked at their roster.  So, looks like some vets like VanLeer and Gheist are going to get left out of the rotation that played last year.  Also, kinda sucks for Mitchell Smith, no way he's going to make the rotation. 

The starting lineup does looks exciting.  You don't think Barnett starts ahead of Puryear though?  Barnett was a guy that I remember very well from last year, wasn't he the leading scorer? 
Barnett is a hell of a player.  He may get the start.  Who knows?  But seems like he's very comfortable coming off the bench giving a spark when needed.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: mizzouman on August 10, 2017, 08:17:12 am

Starter should be:

G - Phillips, 5'11
G - Robertson 6'3
F - M Porter 6'10
F - Puryear 6'7
C - Tilmon 6'10

Simmons is 10 times better than anyone you brought in.

Watched the McDAA game this year and the announcers talked about how weak this class was. I agree with them based on what I saw.

mizzouman

Quote from: ShadowHawg on August 10, 2017, 03:21:10 pm
Simmons is 10 times better than anyone you brought in.

Watched the McDAA game this year and the announcers talked about how weak this class was. I agree with them based on what I saw.
10 times better?  wow.  Maybe 9 but not 10. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: mizzouman on August 10, 2017, 03:37:10 pm
10 times better?  wow.  Maybe 9 but not 10.

Very few players in the college game have done the things Simmons did.

Simmons was the number one pick. You don't have any guy like that.

Let me know when one of your guys has a 20 20 game or averages19pts, 12 rebounds, and 5 assists.

Simmons wasn't the problem at LSU as you so jokingly insinuated.

MakingPlays

Quote from: ShadowHawg on August 10, 2017, 03:55:23 pm

Let me know when one of your guys has a 20 20 game or averages19pts, 12 rebounds, and 5 assists.

Yea, all Simmons said was NCAA is ripping kids off and they should get paid.  UCLA football player just recently said that as well.  Pretty sure a lot of them think they need to be getting paid.  Didn't affect Simmons performance, he was a one man show, he put up crazy numbers. 

tigerinhogtown

Just wait till they're sophomores

mizzouman

Have you read the Ben Simmons interview? 

sickboy

Quote from: mizzouman on August 10, 2017, 08:09:46 am
We will find out. 

Cuonzo can coach. You'll be fine. I dredged up the actual stats in another thread last season, but I don't have time to look it back up. Martin is a solid coach if you look at the numbers. He can coach. With the talent you guys have, you should be a good team.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: mizzouman on August 10, 2017, 08:12:10 am
Dang, we've been down for the last 3 years but before that making the NCAAT most of the time.  Kim Anderson killed the program but Haith, Anderson and Snyder had decent years.

Haith didn't make it to the NCAA  his last or last 2 years?  Then was Kim Anderson there 2 or 3 years?

Anyways, lowly comes from how bad they were last year.  I mean, year, Arkansas fell off in between tournaments due to some really bad luck, but that was a .500 year, middle of the sec year.  Missouri, as of last season completes with the Barbee Auburn teams.

However, Missouri has an ok tradition, I'm just saying, if 5/10 of 2016's top recruiting classes didn't make the tourney last year, and, those 5 teams that didn't make the tournament bring back a better team than MU, I'm not confident MUbwill get it done.  Bubble team.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: sickboy on August 10, 2017, 09:13:14 pm
Cuonzo can coach. You'll be fine. I dredged up the actual stats in another thread last season, but I don't have time to look it back up. Martin is a solid coach if you look at the numbers. He can coach. With the talent you guys have, you should be a good team.

I agree, I think he's pretty good. It'll take year 2 or 3 to turn the culture around/build  one though.

mizzouman

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 10, 2017, 09:49:53 pm
Haith didn't make it to the NCAA  his last or last 2 years?  Then was Kim Anderson there 2 or 3 years?

Anyways, lowly comes from how bad they were last year.  I mean, year, Arkansas fell off in between tournaments due to some really bad luck, but that was a .500 year, middle of the sec year.  Missouri, as of last season completes with the Barbee Auburn teams.

However, Missouri has an ok tradition, I'm just saying, if 5/10 of 2016's top recruiting classes didn't make the tourney last year, and, those 5 teams that didn't make the tournament bring back a better team than MU, I'm not confident MUbwill get it done.  Bubble team.
Haith made the NCAAT first 2 years and the NIT his last.

Anyway, I don't know what will happen in terms of wins and losses or how successful the team will be.

What I am saying is that either way, NCAAT or bust, it will be exciting to watch home grown products (Columbia, MO and ESTL) play together at Mizzou. 

Granted, I will be disappointed if we do not make the NCAAT which could happen, but I would rather go to battle with these guys than without.

NWAHog479

I have no clue why anybody would want to reside or go to school in Columbia, Missouri. That place is a dump.

mizzouman

Quote from: NWAHog479 on August 11, 2017, 08:21:47 am
I have no clue why anybody would want to reside or go to school in Columbia, Missouri. That place is a dump.
To each their own.

Porky McGee

look I don't want to defend Missouri in any way. But what do you mean they "don't have a guy like that?" You mean they don't have a number 1 overall pick? A lot of people thought Porter would be the number 1 pick if he could have came out THIS year, much less in his own class. That kid has a stupid amount of potential. Only thing I've seen in his tapes that I didn't like is that it looks like he's not much of a fan of passing the ball (though highlight tapes rarely show that kind of thing). But he's got every tool, including being 6'10 with range. Not sure if any of that will translate into mizzou being a top team in the league though.

WorfHog

Quote from: mizzouman on August 10, 2017, 10:43:04 am
Wait and see, I think most Mizzou fans would agree.  Let's just see what happens.

Crean did underachieve but he basically started with nothing a IU.  I MEAN NOTHING.  He gradually brought it back to, at least, a respectful program.  But, the powers that be at IU, want National Championships.

Well IU is at least as delusional as Arkansas and Mizzou fans in that regard.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on August 11, 2017, 10:25:37 am
Some people need their safe space, man. I think Mizzou is incredibly fortunate to have had all of this land in their lap. Timing just seemed to be on their side this time to give them good players that they definitely didn't earn by way of building a relevant program the last 5 years. I think it will only last a season, maybe, before mediocrity sets in, though. Hopefully the Hogs will continue an upward trend and remain, far ahead of everything that is Mizzou.
safe space? at Mizzou? Place is a cesspool of trumptrolls and poop swazticas
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

mizzouman

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 11, 2017, 01:26:48 pm
safe space? at Mizzou? Place is a cesspool of trumptrolls and poop swazticas
Good one.

sickboy

Quote from: mizzouman on August 11, 2017, 01:54:05 pm
Good one.

I feel like I'm constantly defending Mizzou and you... don't know why. Guess I just don't have anything against you guys. But I've had some legitimately good times in Columbia. I used to tour in bands back in the day and played at the Blue Note a few times. Don't know if that place is still around, but I had some good times there. Good little college town from my vantage point.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WorfHog on August 11, 2017, 10:56:14 am
Well IU is at least as delusional as Arkansas and Mizzou fans in that regard.

IU fans remember more glory years than Arkansas and Mizzou. They have a more storied history in basketball. In list of all-time wins they are #11, Arkansas is 29 and Mizzou is 42.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi