Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBS Sports rates all 130 FBS teams

Started by WizardofhOgZ, August 08, 2017, 02:36:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Hogs come in at #32; Based on the rest of their predictions, they project us to be 8-4 in the regular season.

http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Bolt/CBS-Sports-Releases-Rankings-for-all-130-FBS-teams-105907520

JayBell

It's interesting how outside of the state, there's more respect for the Hogs than inside the state.  And it's not like 2012 where everybody was blind to the problems of that roster.  Everyone is expecting at least 7-8 wins for Arkansas despite the questions about the young skill players and linebackers.  I think it's a testament to the depth Bielema is built despite less than stellar recruiting.

If some of those position groups surprise people, they could easily get to 9 wins, maybe 10 if everything goes well.  Meanwhile, I see media inside the state asking if Arkansas even goes to a bowl game.  I think they're showing a lot of ignorance about the state of the SEC West now, which is really just Bama and then everyone else.

Those two collapses at the end of last season really warped perceptions about this year's team.

hogcard1964

hogtrough

Quote from: JayBell on August 09, 2017, 09:35:12 am
It's interesting how outside of the state, there's more respect for the Hogs than inside the state.  And it's not like 2012 where everybody was blind to the problems of that roster.  Everyone is expecting at least 7-8 wins for Arkansas despite the questions about the young skill players and linebackers.  I think it's a testament to the depth Bielema is built despite less than stellar recruiting.

If some of those position groups surprise people, they could easily get to 9 wins, maybe 10 if everything goes well.  Meanwhile, I see media inside the state asking if Arkansas even goes to a bowl game.  I think they're showing a lot of ignorance about the state of the SEC West now, which is really just Bama and then everyone else.

Those two collapses at the end of last season really warped perceptions about this year's team.

Losing all our experienced playmakers and changing defensive schemes has pushed us in that direction though. Our in-state media is a lot closer to the action than outsiders are. Let's not forget the Tenn media hype train last year and the Auburn media hype train the year before. I'm in the same boat. I don't think we are gonna be anything more than a bowl eligible team this year.

JayBell

Quote from: hogtrough on August 09, 2017, 12:38:02 pmLosing all our experienced playmakers and changing defensive schemes has pushed us in that direction though. Our in-state media is a lot closer to the action than outsiders are. Let's not forget the Tenn media hype train last year and the Auburn media hype train the year before. I'm in the same boat. I don't think we are gonna be anything more than a bowl eligible team this year.

There's a colossal gap between the hype trains claiming Auburn and Tennessee were national title contenders and the outside media expecting 7-9 wins from Arkansas.

What was disappointing about 2012 for Arkansas and a lot of other years for many programs is when the in-state media is blind to the positives or negatives about the team they cover.

I think we're seeing it swing back the other way in the state.  They were way too optimistic in 2012 and if feels like they're being way too pessimistic now.  I just prefer to keep it balanced.

hogcard1964

Quote from: hogtrough on August 09, 2017, 12:38:02 pm
Losing all our experienced playmakers and changing defensive schemes has pushed us in that direction though. Our in-state media is a lot closer to the action than outsiders are. Let's not forget the Tenn media hype train last year and the Auburn media hype train the year before. I'm in the same boat. I don't think we are gonna be anything more than a bowl eligible team this year.

I tend to agree.  I think we actually start out hot out the gate at 3-1 or even 4-0, but after Bama I think it'll be tough for us to keep playing .500 throughout the rest of the season. 

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 09, 2017, 01:19:52 pm
I tend to agree.  I think we actually start out hot out the gate at 3-1 or even 4-0, but after Bama I think it'll be tough for us to keep playing .500 throughout the rest of the season.

I have you guys in the championship game again this year

Hogwild

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Hogwild

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 09, 2017, 07:08:38 pm
Man. SEC doesn't look too good in that projection.

11 Bowl Teams
1 in the Playoff
1 in the NYE 6

bennyl08

They expect the dawgs to lose to ND and GT?

The expect us to lose to TCU, but go 4-4 in conference?

Florida losing to Mich and MSU seems about right while still going 6-2 in the east.

USA today not biting on the SC hype train that a lot on this board seem to believe in.

I'd put mizzou a bit higher next year with their returning offense and I'd give us the win over TCU and one more SEC win than they are giving us. However, plus or minus a conference game and a handful on non-conf, I'd say that seems pretty accurate which is about the error range for such prognostications anywho.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hogwild

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 09, 2017, 07:17:46 pm

The expect us to lose to TCU, but go 4-4 in conference?

TCU will likely be better than Miss. State, Ole Miss, USCe, and Mizzou.  (guessing those are our 4 conference wins)

DeltaBoy

The end of last year and the egg vs Abarn left me awful gun shy of Brent and this team.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogwild

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 08, 2017, 02:36:49 pm
Hogs come in at #32; Based on the rest of their predictions, they project us to be 8-4 in the regular season.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2017-18-college-football-bowl-projections-preseason-calls-for-each-of-the-games/

QuoteCBS Sports Bowl projections-

Dec. 30   Liberty Bowl
Nashville, TN
12:30 p.m.ABC
SEC vs. Big 12

Arkansas vs. Kansas State

The OTR

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 09, 2017, 09:00:32 pm
The end of last year and the egg vs Abarn left me awful gun shy of Brent and this team.

You and me both, Delta. Not much faith in this year.  Two years from now, yes. But not this year or next year.

TechHawg

I don't do predictions any more. Instead I'll say what I expect. And that is 8-4 at the very least. 7 wins or fewer and I will be calling for Bielema's firing.

bphi11ips

Interesting.  Been a lot of discussion here lately about how Arkansas would fare in other P5 conferences. Based on this ranking, the Hogs are 7 in SEC and would be 7 in Big 10 and Big 12 and 6 in PAC 12 and ACC.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hogwild

Quote6 in PAC 12 and ACC.

6 ACC teams (Florida St, Clemson, UL, Miami, Va Tech, and NC State) are ranked ahead of us.

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on August 09, 2017, 04:11:36 pm
I have you guys in the championship game again this year

No chance.  The best we could do would be something along the lines of The Music City, Texas Bowl, Independence or Liberty.  If we go 8-4, there's an outside shot at the Outback.  ...and that's a BIG push.

We're just not a school that's going to sniff 9 or 10 wins for quite awhile.

HogHolio

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 10, 2017, 12:42:24 pm
Interesting.  Been a lot of discussion here lately about how Arkansas would fare in other P5 conferences. Based on this ranking, the Hogs are 7 in SEC and would be 7 in Big 10 and Big 12 and 6 in PAC 12 and ACC.

But rankings don't necessarily tell us how we would fare. You take Arkansas and give them others schedule and the win/loss total goes way up and so does ranking.