Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TCU game only real opportunity for "big" win at home?

Started by jst01, August 08, 2017, 10:20:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jst01

Looking at the schedule this jumped out at me. I am not counting New Mexico State or Coastal Carolina as any kind of "big" win. And if you believe odds / predictions / FPI junk, most have Auburn winning in Fayetteville (I say its a toss up).  So that really leaves the TCU, Mississippi State and Missouri games as the remaining home games. It feels like winning against Miss St. and Missouri wouldn't be any kind of big win, with many fans expecting it and I think we are the more talented team.  Is the TCU game even more important with respect to protecting the home field and getting that "big" win for the year? It also makes the Auburn game even bigger imo (if it could get any bigger) because that's the only statement win opportunity at home between Sept 9th all the way to Nov 18th.

RME

TCU, Auburn, Mississippi State, and Missouri all would be big wins. Given our records against those SEC teams since Bielema's arrival (chill out, that's not a knock on Bielema because the records don't lie), all 3 of those SEC games are huge. Can't lose home games against those 4 teams.

Hogopolis

The most important game is vs Texas A & M.   It's a must win.  Arkansas can't have a winning record in the SEC if they lose to the Aggies.    Plus, I absolutely hate the Aggies. 

hog.goblin

Individually none are that BIG win like beating FL was last year or LSU or Bama would be any year.

Auburn could end up being a very big win, assuming they can bounce back from a loss against us.

That being said, winning ALL those games is very possible (not easy or likely, just reasonably possible), which would be huge, and would be the turnaround we are all hoping for.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jst01 on August 08, 2017, 10:20:54 am
Looking at the schedule this jumped out at me. I am not counting New Mexico State or Coastal Carolina as any kind of "big" win. And if you believe odds / predictions / FPI junk, most have Auburn winning in Fayetteville (I say its a toss up).  So that really leaves the TCU, Mississippi State and Missouri games as the remaining home games. It feels like winning against Miss St. and Missouri wouldn't be any kind of big win, with many fans expecting it and I think we are the more talented team.  Is the TCU game even more important with respect to protecting the home field and getting that "big" win for the year? It also makes the Auburn game even bigger imo (if it could get any bigger) because that's the only statement win opportunity at home between Sept 9th all the way to Nov 18th.

Every win for us this year is a "big" win. They all add up. Bielema needs 9 and 7 of them are being played in Arkansas. Need to win every one of those and have to go 2-3 on the road to get that done.
Go Hogs Go!

pigroots

We really need to go unbeaten at home. They are all "winnable" but none will be easy. If we do that 9 wins is likely

31to6

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 08, 2017, 10:46:05 am
TCU, Auburn, Mississippi State, and Missouri all would be big wins. Given our records against those SEC teams since Bielema's arrival (chill out, that's not a knock on Bielema because the records don't lie), all 3 of those SEC games are huge. Can't lose home games against those 4 teams.
Agree. Any SEC game is a big win. TCU is a big win. Every one of those teams has been highly ranked at least once when we played them in recent years. Auburn will almost certainly be ranked by the time we get them. They might be undefeated and in the top-10 or even top-5 if they pull a QB out of a hat again this year and can turn that into a win in Red Stick the week before.