Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New conferences....

Started by twistitup, August 06, 2017, 08:40:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

August 06, 2017, 08:40:45 pm Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 09:21:45 pm by twistitup
All the schools should use the bus- just like FAMU (but travel less miles)...conferences could all be split up based on bus zones - the schools you play are within a 4-6 hour bus ride. Put a tack on the map pull a string to 300-350 miles and draw a circle, give the area a name and you have a conference.

Play football, no planes necessary

Reduce travel expenses, allows fans to easily attend away games, rivalries galore

What would the name of our conference be?

Ark
Ok St
Missouri
Tulsa
Memphis
TCU
SMU
????
etc....
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

pigmailyen

1 top ten market/zero top twenty programs/limited footprint...let's call it the ABC--Always Broke Conference.

twistitup

A&M, LSU, Texas, La Tech, Baylor, Texas State, Houston, Rice

PonderinHog

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 08:58:26 pm
A&M, LSU, Texas, La Tech, Baylor, Texas State, Houston, Rice
Black Gold Conference,  Texas Tea(sip) Conference

twistitup

August 06, 2017, 09:00:57 pm #4 Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:32:05 pm by twistitup
Quote from: pigmailyen on August 06, 2017, 08:53:09 pm
1 top ten market/zero top twenty programs/limited footprint...let's call it the ABC--Always Broke Conference.

We got $$ at Ark, Ok St has Boone, Tulsa - Oil Money, Memphis - FedEx money, Missouri - Mafia Money, SMU - we KNOW they have $$, TCU - Nat Gas Money

Bacons Rebellion

I like it. That was the original idea, wasn't it?

twistitup

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 06, 2017, 09:08:41 pm
I like it. That was the original idea, wasn't it?

yes...just thought about it after reading about FAMU

twistitup

Kansas could be part of our conference.....but it wouldn't improve the football end of things

Basketball on the other hand -

What is the distance from Norman to Fville?

HamSammich

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 08:40:45 pm
All the schools should use the bus- just like FAMU (but travel less miles)...conferences could all be split up based on bus zones - the schools you play are within a 4-6 hour bus ride. Put a tack on the map pull a string to 300-350 miles and draw a circle, give the area a name and you have a conference.

Ark
Ok St
Missouri
Tulsa
Memphis
TCU
SMU
????
etc....

I love the idea. Add Tulane and houston. Annnndddddd misss state. Would be the greatest conference for fans ever. We would drive to every game.

twistitup

Quote from: HamSammich on August 06, 2017, 09:17:20 pm
I love the idea. Add Tulane and houston. Annnndddddd misss state. Would be the greatest conference for fans ever. We would drive to every game.

Miss St, Ole Miss - don't know the distance, but both would be nice

Tulane and Houston may have to be part of that damed ol Black Gold Conference....that would be a long bus ride

Cinco de Hogo

Well if you went in a circle there would be a lot of overlapping so, FIGHT ON for members of your particular ABC conference.

Tusks

Ten team driving conference.
AR
KS
KSU
Tulsa
OKS
OU
Mem
Miss
SMU
TCU
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HamSammich

No damnit you guys I demand UH and Tulane be admitted! What are we going to call our conference? I propose "The great greyhound" and try to get greyhound to sink a fortune in it.

GoHogs1091

The ArkLaOkTex Conference.

Arkansas
UCA
Arkansas State
Louisiana Monroe
Louisiana Tech
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Tulsa
TCU
SMU
Sam Houston State
Baylor

HamSammich

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 06, 2017, 09:47:34 pm
The ArkLaOkTex Conference.

Arkansas
UCA
Arkansas State
Louisiana Monroe
Louisiana Tech
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Tulsa
TCU
SMU
Sam Houston State
Baylor

Well you've lost me as a booster. I'll take my hundreds and invest in jello.

Also you guys should change the rules of the conference. Every athletic director needs to have gone to trade school. Will give a blue collar feel.

Birminghog

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 09:19:33 pm
Miss St, Ole Miss - don't know the distance, but both would be nice

Tulane and Houston may have to be part of that damed ol Black Gold Conference....that would be a long bus ride

Starkvegas is a fur piece from Fayetteville. Might as well go another 85 miles and take in Tuscaloosa. Heck, Oxford is 375 miles from Fayetteville.

If you're going to take SMU & TCU, you might as well take North Texas. Denton is on the way to both.

Houston? Baylor? Sam Houston? Are you kidding? Houston is 575 miles. Waco is 430. Huntsville is 500. Some of y'all need a map.

twistitup

Quote from: HamSammich on August 06, 2017, 09:51:09 pm
Well you've lost me as a booster. I'll take my hundreds and invest in jello.

C'mon Ham,  it will take some time to adjust to, we need to think outside of the box and not get too stuck in tradition. It's kinda like losing the LSU Thanksgiving game and getting stuck w Missouri - but worse. The cool part is we can go to all away games, and save millions in travel expenses

HamSammich

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 09:58:38 pm
C'mon Ham,  it will take some time to adjust to, we need to think outside of the box and not get too stuck in tradition. It's kinda like losing the LSU Thanksgiving game and getting stuck w Missouri - but worse. The cool part is we can go to all away games, and save millions in travel expenses

But I live 8 months of the year in houston... I am thinking about me!

Birminghog

Quote from: HamSammich on August 06, 2017, 09:59:58 pm

Oh, well then. That's different.

Carry on.

twistitup

Quote from: HamSammich on August 06, 2017, 09:59:58 pm

I see what you are saying - sucks, we may need to add Houston

twistitup

Quote from: Birminghog on August 06, 2017, 09:58:32 pm
Starkvegas is a fur piece from Fayetteville. Might as well go another 85 miles and take in Tuscaloosa. Heck, Oxford is 375 miles from Fayetteville.

If you're going to take SMU & TCU, you might as well take North Texas. Denton is on the way to both.

Houston? Baylor? Sam Houston? Are you? Houston is 575 miles. Waco is 430. Huntsville is 500. Some of y'all need a map.

North Texas is possible but the Mean Green don't have much to offer....but they do have a helluva Jazz program - let's take 'em, but they must bring the Jazz Band

Birminghog

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 10:03:21 pm
North Texas is possible but the Mean Green don't much to offer....but they do have a helluva Jazz program - let's take 'em, but they must bring the Jazz Band

No, but we used to play them back in the 60s. The Jazz Band(s) are known best, but the entire College of Music is strong. Over 1,500 music majors. It's crazy.

twistitup

Quote from: Birminghog on August 06, 2017, 10:07:41 pm
No, but we used to play them back in the 60s. The Jazz Band(s) are known best, but the entire College of Music is strong. Over 1,500 music majors. It's crazy.
Sweet! They are in...and it's a throwback game - let's wear uniforms from the 60's

HamSammich

Guys we need the token smart nerd school. Every conference has at least one to bring the scholastic averages up. Tulane is the only one I can think that is close...

Maybe oral Roberts? I think they are in Tulsa? And supposedly smart kids. Drury is in Des Moines ..... St. Louis must have a smart school.... well maybe not.

Birminghog

Does ORU have a football team? Wash U is in St. Louis, but I don't think they have a football team. Can we get Hendrix into FBS?

Baylor is too far away. Just take Ouachita & bump them to D-1 FBS.

HamSammich

Quote from: Birminghog on August 06, 2017, 10:22:55 pm
Does ORU have a football team? Wash U is in St. Louis, but I don't think they have a football team. Can we get Hendrix into FBS?

Baylor is too far away. Just take Ouachita & bump them to D-1 FBS.

Great idea. Obu is the way to go. We will just have to remember to take lawn chairs to the away games.

Hawghiggs

Arkansas
   Colorado
   Iowa state
   Kansas
   Kansas State
   Missouri
   Nebraska
   Oklahoma
   Oklahoma state

PonderinHog

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 10:03:21 pm
North Texas is possible but the Mean Green don't have much to offer....but they do have a helluva Jazz program - let's take 'em, but they must bring the Jazz Band
That's a lot of travel for the jazz band.  Should they maybe get a plane?

twistitup

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2017, 02:15:57 am

bus

twistitup

Quote from: HamSammich on August 06, 2017, 10:12:13 pm
Guys we need the token smart nerd school. Every conference has at least one to bring the scholastic averages up. Tulane is the only one I can think that is close...

Maybe oral Roberts? I think they are in Tulsa? And supposedly smart kids. Drury is in Des Moines ..... St. Louis must have a smart school.... well maybe not.

Does SMU rank up there?

PonderinHog

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Reduce travel expenses, allows fans to easily attend away games, rivalries galore

Ark
Ok St
Missouri
Tulsa
Memphis
TCU
SMU
????
etc....
Are you a member of the LRSD?!  :D
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

twistitup

August 07, 2017, 08:04:18 am #32 Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:24:51 am by twistitup
Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on August 07, 2017, 07:53:51 am
Are you a member of the LRSD?!  :D

No, but I am a member of the new American Sports Athletic Association - ASAA

NCAA is out - there is a new sheriff in town - ASAA

Busses are part of our 'back to the basics' model for athletics. More rivalries, more fans, less travel expenses - more $$ in the pockets of the universities.

Sling TV contracts
General Admission Beer Sales
More quality food options at the concession stands (cheesesteak, Loaded baked potato, Q,  mooonpies (all 3 flavors) etc..)
Quality Pregame entertainment (concerts)
Replace Pepsi w Coke (or anything other than pepsi)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on August 07, 2017, 08:04:18 am

Busses are part of our 'back to the basics' model for athletics. More rivalries, more fans, less travel expenses - more $$ in the pockets of the universities.

Sling TV contracts
More quality food options at the concession stands

You forgot replacing Pepsi with Coke at the Concession Stands. Or if there is no intention of replacing Pepsi with Coke, then you need to add RC Cola and Moon Pies.
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 07, 2017, 08:11:01 am
You forgot replacing Pepsi with Coke at the Concession Stands. Or if there is no intention of replacing Pepsi with Coke, then you need to add RC Cola and Moon Pies.

done

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: twistitup on August 07, 2017, 08:04:18 am

Sling TV contracts
More quality food options at the concession stands (cheesesteak, Loaded baked potato, mooonpies (all 3 flavors) etc..)
Replace Pepsi w Coke (or anything other than pepsi)

Sold and sold
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 09:00:57 pm
We got $$ at Ark, Ok St has Boone, Tulsa - Oil Money, Memphis - drug money, Missouri - Mafia Money, SMU - we KNOW they have $$, TCU - Nat Gas Money

If we got money....why ride the bus ?

Michaelt

Ark
Ok St
Missouri
Tulsa
Memphis
TCU
SMU
????
etc....

Ole Miss
Rice
Kansas
Kansas State?
Oklahoma
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

twistitup

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on August 07, 2017, 10:06:07 am
If we got money....why ride the bus ?

fiscal responsibility

caravan w the fans (each town the bus goes through, the caravan gets larger)

why fly when we are only going a few hours?

keep the kids (players) reality based - only a few are headed to the league

J-Five

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 09:00:57 pm
We got $$ at Ark, Ok St has Boone, Tulsa - Oil Money, Memphis - drug money, Missouri - Mafia Money, SMU - we KNOW they have $$, TCU - Nat Gas Money

"Drug Money"...smh.  This annoys me.  Try FedEx maybe.  Memphis is not as bad as folks say.  Spent a lot of time in Memphis.  We all have opinions though...
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

HamSammich

I agree. Chop shop money is more accurate

Stephen Greene

Ark
Ok St
Missouri
Tulsa
Memphis
TCU
SMU
????
etc....

so DFW is closer to us than OKC. I see...

twistitup

Quote from: J-Five on August 07, 2017, 12:22:18 pm

"Drug Money"...smh.  This annoys me.  Try FedEx maybe.  Memphis is not as bad as folks say.  Spent a lot of time in Memphis.  We all have opinions though...

My apologies - I will change that to FedEx money, I shouldn't be perpetuating stereotypes, I suck sometimes.

MissippHog

Ark
Ok St
Missouri
Tulsa
Memphis
TCU
SMU
????
etc....
Or just get rid of conferences altogether and play your regional opponents.  You would not be able to create a conference the way you stated because each school would have a different set of schools in their 300/350 mile radius.  For example, OU is 200 or so miles from Fayetteville.  Memphis is a little more than 300 miles from Fayetteville.  While Memphis and Oklahoma fall in the Razorbacks radius, they do not fall in one another's. 

J-Five

Quote from: twistitup on August 07, 2017, 12:31:18 pm
My apologies - I will change that to FedEx money, I shouldn't be perpetuating stereotypes, I suck sometimes.

Naw you're good man! I spent some time there and the city gets a bad rap.  No worries!!!
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

J-Five

This Conference would be pretty sick in bball...Kentucky & Kansas would be included, or are they too far away?

J-Five

Nevermind...I'm thinking of Little Rock when I said Kentucky/Kansas...

twistitup

Quote from: J-Five on August 07, 2017, 01:21:50 pm
This Conference would be pretty sick in bball...Kentucky & Kansas would be included, or are they too far away?

Kansas - yes

Kentucky - no

Bballl would be solid...Ok St, Memphis, Kansas, Missouri, Ark, Tulsa, SMU, Oklahoma - all respectable bball programs

Birminghog

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2017, 02:15:57 am

If we're talking about the 1 O'Clock band, they may have a plane. Those dudes go all over the world.

hogfanboy2

What is the cost difference between  a  Bus  vs  Plane.

Let's assume $50k more per game that is $500 per person for 100 people.

and lets say  6 games with travel  = $300k

I would say  pay the head coach $3.7 million + $300K in plane rides   vs  bus rides and pay the head coach $4 million.