Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

surprise contributor on defense??

Started by snoop hawgy hawg, August 06, 2017, 07:38:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

snoop hawgy hawg

Who is the player on defense you think will end up being a big contributor? One that maybe people aren't paying much attention too?

Hogforlife

HamSammich

To me and just in my opinion- Greenlaw is the only LB on roster that has ever shown natural instincts and was nearly always  in the right place.

I expect an all SEC type of performance from him. I guess it's all up to whether he can get healthy.

thebignasty

Wouldn't totally stun me if Randy Ramsey ends up with 8ish sacks this year.

Also wouldn't stun me if he can't get on the field. 

onebadrubi

I have no clue but pray it's someone that is getting noticed for their play at the line of scrimmage and rushing the passer.  If your DB's are having to be a highlight of the team because he's making plays you are inevitably having issues.  Let's hurt offenses before they have time to make us need our DB's.   

Hogopolis

I think Randy Ramsey is going to have a big year. 

hawginbigd1

A week ago i would have said bell. Now i am going guidry.

Cinco de Hogo

jjdlc

Quote from: Hogforlife on August 06, 2017, 07:42:15 pm
Grant Morgan

From some of the reports from scrimmage, he was all over the place.  Would be a very pleasant surprise.

luke hawg

HamSammich

Quote from: luke hawg on August 06, 2017, 10:14:57 pm
It needs to be Bijhon Jackson.

To be honest this guy wins the thread. Without a dominant nose this defense goes to hell fast.

Cinco de Hogo

The surprise will be if he finds his motor, but we can always hope.

bennyl08

How would he be a surprise contributer? When he has been a major contributer already and is and has been the projected starter?

It would be great if he was one of our best players on defense. However he and Capps have already become big contributors on defense and are both expected to be big contributors next year.

I think the surprise contributor on defense this year will be Curtis. We have a lot of very good players in the secondary so I doubt and hope he doesn't start at all this season. However, I think he'll get multiple ints in limited time as well as having a big impact on special teams.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HamSammich

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 07, 2017, 12:10:34 am
How would he be a surprise contributer? When he has been a major contributer already and is and has been the projected starter?

It would be great if he was one of our best players on defense. However he and Capps have already become big contributors on defense and are both expected to be big contributors next year.

I think the surprise contributor on defense this year will be Curtis. We have a lot of very good players in the secondary so I doubt and hope he doesn't start at all this season. However, I think he'll get multiple ints in limited time as well as having a big impact on special teams.

I don't think you and I watch the same games.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Agreed. However, our defense goes through Jackson and Capps. If they have a big year, the defense has a big year. I hope Jackson has the best season of his career!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

bphi11ips

T.J. Smith may be ready.  Sosa, Jackson, and a second solid SEC DE in the starting lineup would be a good place to start the 3-4.

Little known fact about Smith - he was a member of National Honor Society.  Uncommon.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The NewEra

My guess would be between Grant Morgan and Gabe Richardson. 

nwahogfan1

August 07, 2017, 02:29:05 pm #19 Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 02:56:53 pm by nwahogfan1
Quote from: HamSammich on August 06, 2017, 07:50:45 pm
To me and just in my opinion- Greenlaw is the only LB on roster that has ever shown natural instincts and was nearly always  in the right place.

I expect an all SEC type of performance from him. I guess it's all up to whether he can get healthy.

After watching Morgan in HS for 2 years he has all the natural instincts as Greenlaw but just not as much natural ability.   I am not sure what Morgan can do if an opposing team matches him up to cover a WR/RB with 4.4 speed or if he has to make a saving tackle in the open field against a super athlete but he can find the ball and he will strike when he gets there.

He is an old fashion football player who you do not put value based on his 40 time.

Mike Irwin

Paul Rhoads on Grant Morgan: "I saw a guy that every time I turned around today was making a tackle and was making a good deal of them at the line of scrimmage or on their side of the line of scrimmage. Grant Morgan is an extremely football smart player. Through nine practices I might argue he's he smartest defensive football player that we have."

King Kong

Probably because to this point he hasn't accomplished anything. Unfortunately, there are plenty examples of players that start and have minimal impact.

The OTR

I think Morgan will be a guy to watch this year.  His instincts are outstanding and he really has a nose for the football from everything I'm hearing.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on August 07, 2017, 02:56:44 pm
If it's not we'll get pushed all over the field.

CONCUR.

What is our NG job?   To take up as many blockers as he can so the LBs can make the tackle?    Or is it to shoot gaps and disrupt?  Or a combination of the two to keep the opposition guessing?

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 07, 2017, 02:59:06 pm
What is our NG job?   To take up as many blockers as he can so the LBs can make the tackle?    Or is it to shoot gaps and disrupt?  Or a combination of the two to keep the opposition guessing?

control both A Gaps

bennyl08

Quote from: King Kong on August 07, 2017, 02:55:00 pm
Probably because to this point he hasn't accomplished anything. Unfortunately, there are plenty examples of players that start and have minimal impact.

4.5 TFL, 2.5 sacks last year in minimal playing time, playing a position where he was mostly asked to eat up blocks.

Tied for 3rd in sacks on the team and 7th on the team in TFL behind 5 starters and 1 player (Ramsey) who's sole purpose on the field was to get into the backfield.

I'd say that's a pretty good accomplishment and a mighty fine contribution already.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 07, 2017, 02:59:06 pm

Depends on the situation.

The standard 3-4 would be as reservoir described. However, coaches have talked about having guys like Sosa, Taylor, Guidry, etc playing the NT position on third and long to have even more pressure guys.

The OTR

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on August 07, 2017, 03:06:25 pm
control both A Gaps

This is the kind of X and O talk I've been waiting on all summer. 

HamSammich

When a 320 lb bull shoots a gap it should take two guys to occupy him. But that's reall not  how the 3-4 is anchored ...

The base defense has The ng right over the center in what I guess they call zero technique. The ng has two responsibilities in this base. He has to not be pushed back into the lbs and he has to be able to disrupt a run play to either gap between the center and guard. Usually a good nose guard is big enough to use one arm on the center while making plays in either gap with the other.

bythelake

Nose guard controls both gaps at times by pushing the center into one gap and filling the other himself.  At least based on some learning tapes provided a while back. 

Granny fan

PorkRinds

I'm telling you guys I've been watching those Morgan boys play for a long time. Grant has the same mindset and work ethic that Drew had, only less cocky and out spoken.  Him walking on was unreal. He had interest from a few schools but chose to walk on here.  I hope he shows out his year.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 07, 2017, 07:55:57 pm
I'm telling you guys I've been watching those Morgan boys play for a long time. Grant has the same mindset and work ethic that Drew had, only less cocky and out spoken.  Him walking on was unreal. He had interest from a few schools but chose to walk on here.  I hope he shows out his year.

I think he will get a scholarship in January.  Don't you?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on August 07, 2017, 03:06:25 pm
control both A Gaps

Wow.  Sounds tough.  Can that be done consistently?  Especially if they double you with C and G. 

KlubhouseKonnected

"As pleasant as that was to watch, I'm not sure I came away with the same feel for Bijhon's play at nose tackle. That's the spot that the defense is built around. I'm not sure Jackson is ready to dominate and require double-team blocks. He had trouble getting away from backup center Zach Rogers in the scrimmage.
I'd asked some trusted eyes about Jackson earlier in the day. Former Oklahoma State coach Pat Jones had studied the defensive line earlier in the week in a fully padded practice.
"I stayed with those guys for the entire day, the (defensive front)," said Jones, an Arkansas alum and former assistant coach under Frank Broyles. "I just wanted to see where they were and I like a lot of them."
Apparently, Jackson wasn't one of them. Listed at 339 pounds, Jackson seems to have punch for a short series of plays, but wears down too fast.
"I know this is fall camp and they can get heavy legged," Jones said. "But he just seems heavy to me.""

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/aug/07/state-hogs-keeping-close-eye-jacksons/

This is a little disconcerting.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: The NewEra on August 07, 2017, 09:11:27 am
My guess would be between Grant Morgan and Gabe Richardson. 
I like Richardson, also. He is definitely confident, and is familiar with the 3-4 defense.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

HamSammich

Is this Morgan the next hogville Vinny??? TBH I know nothing about him other that the friends I have that have watched practice.

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 07, 2017, 07:55:57 pm

Our defense could use that cockyness and out spoken part though.  MS a few years ago was that person, out spoken and getting the DL in the exact spots.  We need that guy on this defense and he needs to come from the LB'ing core, IMO.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: HamSammich on August 07, 2017, 08:12:18 pm
Is this Morgan the next hogville Vinny??? TBH I know nothing about him other that the friends I have that have watched practice.

Well he actually made it onto a practice field so I am afraid he is no Vinny A.

I knew Vin Ascolese and you sir are no Vin Ascolese
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

The OTR

Quote from: Granny fan on August 07, 2017, 07:45:34 pm

This^^^

I'd reply to this but I'm afraid Granny has gone to bed with the chickens.

King Kong

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 07, 2017, 03:18:54 pm
4.5 TFL, 2.5 sacks last year in minimal playing time, playing a position where he was mostly asked to eat up blocks.

Tied for 3rd in sacks on the team and 7th on the team in TFL behind 5 starters and 1 player (Ramsey) who's sole purpose on the field was to get into the backfield.

I'd say that's a pretty good accomplishment and a mighty fine contribution already.

Yeah, like I said minimal impact

Tarheelhawg

Here are two long shots:  Hayden Henry and Dylan Hays.  After watching video on both, I see intelligence, drive and aggression.  I was not surprised to see Dylan Hays move to defense.  He has a great motor and fierceness.

BigE_23

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 07, 2017, 02:49:58 pm
Paul Rhoads on Grant Morgan: "I saw a guy that every time I turned around today was making a tackle and was making a good deal of them at the line of scrimmage or on their side of the line of scrimmage. Grant Morgan is an extremely football smart player. Through nine practices I might argue he's he smartest defensive football player that we have."

2/3 of this quote is says a lot about Morgan...the last sentence doesn't ;)

PonderinHog

Hasn't Bijhon had nagging injuries most of his career at Arkansas, which have negatively affected his stamina and weight issues? 

PorkRinds

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 07, 2017, 08:12:51 pm
Our defense could use that cockyness and out spoken part though.  MS a few years ago was that person, out spoken and getting the DL in the exact spots.  We need that guy on this defense and he needs to come from the LB'ing core, IMO.
If you say so.

Letsroll1200

If Morgan is one of the best options at LB we have to question the depth of the position. This defense is going to go through a transition early on. Can Rhodes make in game adjustments that smith did not make. I think Tolliver has a big year.

HamSammich

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on August 07, 2017, 09:54:12 pm
If Morgan is one of the best options at LB we have to question the depth of the position. This defense is going to go through a transition early on. Can Rhodes make in game adjustments that smith did not make. I think Tolliver has a big year.

I mentioned to musky a while back that he was a smart guy and did he really think our lber corp was that great. Imo no. It was our weakest group last year. If a freshman walk on makes the sort of impact this year in a three frigging 4 that you guys expect-I'm afraid this defense is gonna be tough to watch. I'm still cautiously optimistic though. I have a lot of hope for greenlaw

Letsroll1200

Quote from: HamSammich on August 07, 2017, 09:56:46 pm
I mentioned to musky a while back that he was a smart guy and did he really think our lber corp was that great. Imo no. It was our weakest group last year. If a freshman walk on makes the sort of impact this year in a three frigging 4 that you guys expect-I'm afraid this defense is gonna be tough to watch. I'm still cautiously optimistic though. I have a lot of hope for greenlaw

I still dont see enough difference makers to make a impact in the SEC. Can the offense out score people? Really the offense will be the biggest contributor on defense.

bennyl08

Quote from: HamSammich on August 07, 2017, 09:56:46 pm

You do realize that getting 10 tackles this year and playing in 5 games would more than qualify Morgan for a surprise contributor on facebook, right?

Also, who is he above on the depth chart that you think he shouldn't be? Morgan is a Rs Fr. He is currently higher on the depth chart than a couple true freshmen that we signed this year which is to be expected. He's on par with a couple fellow RsFr that we signed last year. He was recruited as a walk on by the likes of michigan, auburn, and nebraska so it wasn't like nobody was interested in him. They just weren't willing to take the risk of giving him a scholarship whatever that risk may have been. So far, he is showing that we is about on par with the other LB'ers we signed at the same time as him and not doing better than the guys who are older.

bennyl08

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on August 07, 2017, 10:12:55 pm
I still dont see enough difference makers to make a impact in the SEC. Can the offense out score people? Really the offense will be the biggest contributor on defense.

Go watch Sosa, Scoota, and Pulley's tapes from last season. Those three could all be taken in the top 3 rounds of the draft.

We have plenty others who could potentially be drafted as well.