Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Phil Steele Not Sold On Hogs

Started by gdumont, August 06, 2017, 07:09:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gdumont

National college football writer Phil Steele Publications​ sees some good things in this year's Hogs, but isn't projecting them to finish in the top of the SEC West

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/steele-isnt-sold-on-hogs-but-sees-positives/784503086

menace_hawg3

Quote from: gdumont on August 06, 2017, 07:09:21 pm
National college football writer Phil Steele Publications​ sees some good things in this year's Hogs, but isn't projecting them to finish in the top of the SEC West

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/steele-isnt-sold-on-hogs-but-sees-positives/784503086

Are we sure that this is a bad thing considering how positive he has been about us in previous years?

Al Boarland

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on August 06, 2017, 07:16:34 pm
Are we sure that this is a bad thing considering how positive he has been about us in previous years?
If you hang on to the "shock the world" theory, sure.  However, he is one in a long line of prognosticators that project a mediocre season.  At some point you have to ask yourself if the fan inside you is right or is everyone else?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 07, 2017, 08:49:41 am
If you hang on to the "shock the world" theory, sure.  However, he is one in a long line of prognosticators that project a mediocre season.  At some point you have to ask yourself if the fan inside you is right or is everyone else?
If the past has taught me anything it is that we should let them play the games and then and only then decide what we have.

hogcard1964

Steele is always really good.  He knows his stuff.

Does he have a poll we could infiltrate?  I seem to remember us collectively going into his board a few years ago and ranking us number 1, but I think he-himself changed the vote and dropped us to like 6 or something.  Is that familiar to anyone else?

RagingHawgOn

Shorttimer

Hehehehe.  To all of Hogville, do yourselves a favor and watch this video.  Just the first 15 seconds will suffice.  You're welcome in advance.

To Drew Amman, I think you are great.  Consequently, I would like to point out that the word "analyst" contains no long "A" sound. 

Hollywood870

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on August 07, 2017, 04:57:02 pm
He thinks we are gonna be better next year with an inexperienced QB. That's laughable.
The rest of the team will be more talented. What's laughable?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on August 07, 2017, 04:57:02 pm
He thinks we are gonna be better next year with an inexperienced QB. That's laughable.
AA did pretty well in his first year at the helm. Next year we might have one heck of a QB battle tho..

DeltaBoy

After the last season I am not Sold on these Hogs!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Medic821

Funny thing about some on here.  They for sure have an agenda.  Dear Lord dont be poitive about anything.  If u do ur a sunshine pumper.  The nay sayets ofteb have the biggest loudest mouths.

Medic821

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 07, 2017, 07:17:31 pm
After the last season I am not Sold on these Hogs!  Good sell your tickets and put your LSU OR BAMA darn ON.  DEUCES TO YA.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Medic821 on August 07, 2017, 11:26:01 pm
Funny thing about some on here.  They for sure have an agenda.  Dear Lord dont be poitive about anything.  If u do ur a sunshine pumper.  The nay sayets ofteb have the biggest loudest mouths.

Yea don't believe Phil Steele believe the drunk guy, that's right!

jgphillips3

The odds of us ripping off a "shock the world" season are about as slim as the odds of us finishing 6-6.  This will be a 7-9 win season.  Personally, I'm banking on 8-4 but looking at the schedule I can see how we could win 9 if we catch the breaks this year instead of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory again.  8 or 9 wins would just be solid work though...not Earth shattering.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: jgphillips3 on August 08, 2017, 07:22:29 am
The odds of us ripping off a "shock the world" season are about as slim as the odds of us finishing 6-6.  This will be a 7-9 win season.  Personally, I'm banking on 8-4 but looking at the schedule I can see how we could win 9 if we catch the breaks this year instead of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory again.  8 or 9 wins would just be solid work though...not Earth shattering.

True stuff!

Excluding BB's first year CBP would have a two game avg better than CBB.   We got to win those games!  Well at least I WANT us to win them.

Pigsknuckles

I go into every big game believing this could happen.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Maybe that is why I drink.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Iwastherein1969

Phil Steele does his due diligence. Whether you agree or disagree with him should not be because he just blows through every conference rolling out predictions like bowling balls. Steele does say that he gives the Hogs team next season a chance to sit atop the SEC West. That's damn good news to me and I'll take it. Austin Allen is a top shelf QB and losing him in 2018 will hurt but I have a feeling we'll get more back to the roots of having a great O line and running over people. So take the positive outlook for next year and run with it, it's been since 1989 that the UA has won any type of conference title in football. If the Good Lord is willing, I think I can wait one more.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

We got some folks on Hogville that can lay down the blocks for our HC and keep the naysayers from ever touching him.  We likely need those folks coaching our O-line because they are damn good at what they do.  Our QB would never get hit.  The inexperience factor is a big factor and that lies at the feet of the HC.  I personally do not agree with Steele.  I believe BB will do more coaching and demanding this season and it will show up in the wins we get.  We will start next season with an inexperienced QB and several new linemen if memory is correct.

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on August 09, 2017, 07:15:36 am
We got some folks on Hogville that can lay down the blocks for our HC and keep the naysayers from ever touching him.  We likely need those folks coaching our O-line because they are damn good at what they do.  Our QB would never get hit.  The inexperience factor is a big factor and that lies at the feet of the HC.  I personally do not agree with Steele.  I believe BB will do more coaching and demanding this season and it will show up in the wins we get.  We will start next season with an inexperienced QB and several new linemen if memory is correct.

Memory is fading as usual, new QB and new center.

The Kig

Amazes me how some people only see what they want to see... I read some of the thread and then went back and watched the video.  Was expecting him to be down on the Hogs, but it was actually quite the opposite.  So I watched it again.

Steele didn't project a mediocre season.  In fact that wasn't even the question.   He was discussing whether we had enough to make a run at the SEC West... and said we are close.  However, with other variables like more home games, he felt we had a chance to do it next season. 

<smh>  I get that you constantly poor mouth post about the Hogs (especially after the downright offensive defense we fielded and the late season collapse), but you lose credibility when you just make shirt up. 

"I think I've seen enough to say that they're close," added Steele. "Now, I don't know if it's gonna happen this year. I don't like that Arkansas only has 3 true homes games. I think the schedule, the experience level, I've got Arkansas rated in the lower third of the country experience wise. I don't think it sets up for a run at the SEC West, but the potential is there for next year."
Poker Porker

go hogues

Quote from: The Kig on August 09, 2017, 09:32:57 am
"I think I've seen enough to say that they're close," added Steele. "Now, I don't know if it's gonna happen this year. I don't like that Arkansas only has 3 true homes games. I think the schedule, the experience level, I've got Arkansas rated in the lower third of the country experience wise. I don't think it sets up for a run at the SEC West, but the potential is there for next year."
UA motto.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Al Boarland

Quote from: The Kig on August 09, 2017, 09:32:57 am
Amazes me how some people only see what they want to see... I read some of the thread and then went back and watched the video.  Was expecting him to be down on the Hogs, but it was actually quite the opposite.  So I watched it again.

Steele didn't project a mediocre season.  In fact that wasn't even the question.   He was discussing whether we had enough to make a run at the SEC West... and said we are close.  However, with other variables like more home games, he felt we had a chance to do it next season. 

<smh>  I get that you constantly poor mouth post about the Hogs (especially after the downright offensive defense we fielded and the late season collapse), but you lose credibility when you just make shirt up. 

He said 7-8 wins max. Is that seeing what I want to see?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Medic821 on August 07, 2017, 11:27:26 pm

We can talk after this team wins 10 and a bowl game! I agree with Phil who a well know and Respected predictor of College football!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

The Kig

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 09, 2017, 02:47:21 pm
He said 7-8 wins max. Is that seeing what I want to see?

I don't know... is that what you want to see?  From your posts, I would think you want to see less... but maybe I missed him projecting a max 7-8 wins in this interview.  Where was it?
Poker Porker

Al Boarland

Quote from: The Kig on August 10, 2017, 01:00:57 am
I don't know... is that what you want to see?  From your posts, I would think you want to see less... but maybe I missed him projecting a max 7-8 wins in this interview.  Where was it?

Does it matter which interview he says it in? I'm right in line with Steele on this season. 7 or 8 wins.

Sports Talk with Bo Mattingly's Podcast: 8-4 Sports Talk Extra
https://overcast.fm/+Bt6aGt4yk

DeltaBoy

It been next year every since we came to the SEC!

The Kig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 10, 2017, 10:58:07 pm
It been next year every since we came to the SEC!

It's been next year since 1964...
Poker Porker

rzrbkman

Phil Steele packs a lot of information in his magazine, but then again it's written like medicine disclaimers in that readers know there is some useful information included on the instructions, but it's way more information than is needed for the benefit of the user.

hawg66

Steele uses a half dozen metrics to make a half dozen predictions then touts the ones he gets right.