Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FAMU to ride bus to the Rock

Started by Hogopolis, August 06, 2017, 11:19:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogopolis

After playing on August 26th, they will get on a bus August 30th for a 10 hour trip to Little Rock.   Arkansas can score 100 if they want.  FAMU is already outmanned, now they will be exhausted after playing Saturday and a 10 hour bus trip Wednesday for a game Thursday.   

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2017/08/04/famus-football-team-take-bus-arkansas/537106001/

Mike_e

That sux.

They may be an opponent but no one should have to go through that.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

AirWarren

I didn't read the article but I don't think they are bringing the band either.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dr. Starcs

Crappy team. Crappy ride. Crappy stadium.

bythelake

That does suck.  The pains some of these schools go thru for the pay check which will probably be half their total budget. 😅

GuvHog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 06, 2017, 12:36:02 pm

The stadium isn't crappy but it isn't close to being on the same level with DWRRS either.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Vantage 8 dude

Please.....give it a rest. We're all aware of the stadium issues. As if it hasn't been discussed/debated numerous times.

Smokehouse

Sounds like a good way to get a kid hurt. Thursday games are already rough. At least they just have one game before that.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

hawgmasta

That's tough, will be a good warm up hopefully.

247Hog

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

cmphill87

UM beat these these boy 70-3 last year. I'll be looking for nothing less that a shutout even if its 30-0. Yes I'd be happier with a shutout than an absolute blowout while giving 2nd and 3rd team some reps.
-Chrisky

HogBeliever625

Birminghog

Quote from: AP85 on August 06, 2017, 12:16:36 pm

As more colleges charge per seat for visiting bands, you are going to see fewer and fewer bands make road trips. They might bring a pep band, but not the entire group.

I sort of get it. For the home team, it's about revenue, and giving up 400+ seats for free is a lot of revenue. Big colleges are wanting larger and larger marching bands, so that means more cost for travel and more total cost for seating. 50 years ago a 100-piece big college marching band was completely acceptable. 20 years ago it was about 300; now the larger bands are 400+ (Texas has been 400+ for a long time.

It's a long trip from Tallahassee. I'm sorry they are having to bus it. I certainly wouldn't want to.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogopolis on August 06, 2017, 11:19:02 am
After playing on August 26th, they will get on a bus August 30th for a 10 hour trip to Little Rock.   Arkansas can score 100 if they want.  FAMU is already outmanned, now they will be exhausted after playing Saturday and a 10 hour bus trip Wednesday for a game Thursday.   

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/famu/2017/08/04/famus-football-team-take-bus-arkansas/537106001/

That's what smaller programs with lesser budgets do. They know who they are and what they have to do to go get a bigger paycheck to help fund their operations. Chartering a jet would take away from that. Problem is that sometimes teams use this as motivation and can at times, play well over their heads. I don't think that will happen in this case, but as a team you need to beware of other teams that have nothing to lose. Put them away early and often and never let off the gas.
Go Hogs Go!

hogfan14

Quote from: 247Hog on August 06, 2017, 01:45:18 pm
Toledo

Toledo went 10-2 and beat a ranked team in their bowl game, FAMU is a bad FCS team.

Not a good comparison.

LZH

Tallahassee to LR is a looong trip in a Lincoln, can you just imagine a bus ride? Mercy.

KlubhouseKonnected

Did your parents ever have any kids that lived?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

King Kong

Quote from: 247Hog on August 06, 2017, 01:45:18 pm
Toledo

You don't really understand the different levels of College Football do you?

Bacons Rebellion

I still remember some fun bus songs we used to sing. Do they have an email address?

DC HOGFAN

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 06, 2017, 04:16:19 pm
Did your parents ever have any kids that lived?

Oh my God, that's funny! Nice job.

MuskogeeHogFan

Road trips are crappy, especially by bus, which back in the day was a conventional mode of transportation for Div I Junior Varsity Teams. No aircraft involved in this situation. Florida A&M has to travel 10-1/2 hours to play the Hogs in LR. I once traveled to a game in Arizona that was 16 hours one way. It sucked. We spent the night in a hotel that had sand and fleas in the sheets. We lost 34-28. We drove all the way back (with a bus break down in the Panhandle of Texas that was in the absolute middle of nowhere) without stopping for anything more than fuel (better pee when you can) and box lunches served on the bus as punishment for losing.

As "terrible" as this will be for Florida A&M, I doubt that given the money they will earn for their school that this will be a situation where they will be punished for losing and, they get a shorter bus trip than I experienced. It's just part of playing ball at a lower level.
Go Hogs Go!

snoblind

Dr. Starcs

HamSammich

Quote from: Mike_e on August 06, 2017, 11:32:20 am
That sux.

They may be an opponent but no one should have to go through that.

It's not like they are on a bus to Belize. They'll be fine

Wait... I guess it depends on where in LR they get off the bus at. It could be like Belize

Southpointhog

Please shut it and dont start! It gets old!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on August 06, 2017, 12:40:06 pm
The stadium isn't crappy but it isn't close to being on the same level with DWRRS either.

What is and isn't a crappy stadium is 100% debatable.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 06, 2017, 05:53:55 pm
Road trips are crappy, especially by bus, which back in the day was a conventional mode of transportation for Div I Junior Varsity Teams. No aircraft involved in this situation. Florida A&M has to travel 10-1/2 hours to play the Hogs in LR. I once traveled to a game in Arizona that was 16 hours one way. It sucked. We spent the night in a hotel that had sand and fleas in the sheets. We lost 34-28. We drove all the way back (with a bus break down in the Panhandle of Texas that was in the absolute middle of nowhere) without stopping for anything more than fuel (better pee when you can) and box lunches served on the bus as punishment for losing.

As "terrible" as this will be for Florida A&M, I doubt that given the money they will earn for their school that this will be a situation where they will be punished for losing and, they get a shorter bus trip than I experienced. It's just part of playing ball at a lower level.

I'd bet FAMU's players and coaches won't be eating lunch on the bus either.

Mr. Porkleone

Regardless of stadium debate, riding a bus 10 hours a few days after playing will be BRUTAL! Expext a blowout

EastexHawg

Who shares in the reward of these overmatched teams getting their brains beaten out for a paycheck?  The coaches in the form of higher salaries?  The administrators?   Apparently not the players, who after years of the school scheduling these drubbings are still riding a bus halfway across the country to play four days after their last game.

This type of matchup is one of the very worst things about college football.  I can't believe anyone enjoys this aspect of the game.

Birminghog

Quote from: DC HOGFAN on August 06, 2017, 05:31:49 pm
Oh my God, that's funny! Nice job.

Not for those of us who have had children who died shortly after birth.

Cinco de Hogo

We should start a gofundme site for the cost of a plane for them.  Matter of fact is the Hogs plane available?

Pancetta

Inconvenient yes but BRUTAL?  If they flew commercially out of Tallahassee it would be 4 hours. So we are talking 6 extra hours sitting playing on their phones and listening to music. Surely they'll take charter buses with reclining seats and an onboard bathroom. It's not like they'll be riding the yellow dog and eating bologna sandwiches.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

Birminghog

Quote from: Pancetta on August 06, 2017, 09:31:06 pm
Inconvenient yes but BRUTAL?  If they flew commercially out of Tallahassee it would be 4 hours. So we are talking 6 extra hours sitting playing on their phones and listening to music. Surely they'll take charter buses with reclining seats and an onboard bathroom. It's not like they'll be riding the yellow dog and eating bologna sandwiches.

The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings. Great movie. James Earl Jones, Richard Pryor, etc.

https://goo.gl/images/Y4Qa6r

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 06, 2017, 07:19:46 pm
Snowflake

Ur adorable. I bet you type kissy emoji's to your mother with those same fingers.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Birminghog on August 06, 2017, 09:24:49 pm
Not for those of us who have had children who died shortly after birth.

Sorry for your loss.

Mike_e

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 06, 2017, 08:45:13 pm
Who shares in the reward of these overmatched teams getting their brains beaten out for a paycheck?  The coaches in the form of higher salaries?  The administrators?   Apparently not the players, who after years of the school scheduling these drubbings are still riding a bus halfway across the country to play four days after their last game.

This type of matchup is one of the very worst things about college football.  I can't believe anyone enjoys this aspect of the game.

They get to keep playing.  A lot of these schools are at the point that without the paycheck they wouldn't be able to afford a football team.

Remember that the athletics department also has to fund other sports to say nothing of the title 9 requirements.  85 students plus another 85 required by title 9 is a lot of money spent, if football can't at least come close to paying for itself even forgetting the other 85 (or more if they are trying to get towards the 105) the school will have a hard time justifying the expenditure.

One of the main reasons they do justify it is the 'quality of student life'.  Without a football team they have a Much harder time in getting their needed number of students.  Another reason that they are sent out to fall on their swords.

And all of this is just glossing over the surface.

It is not enjoyable, but it is needful.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

LZH

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 06, 2017, 05:24:00 pm
I still remember some fun bus songs we used to sing. Do they have an email address?

"Pork chop pork chop greasy greasy, we beat the *******'s easy easy!"

Shorttimer

Most Division II schools take 10 hours bus rides two or three times a year.  FAMU doing it once, even on a short turn around won't hurt anybody.  In fact, this will probably be the game those guys are talking about 30 years from now at football reunions.  "Remember that time . . ."

holeinthewall

Quote from: GuvHog on August 06, 2017, 12:40:06 pm

After seeing GNR in that glorified High School stadium Saturday it is easy to say it is a dump.   Football is football but the GNR stage which looked small in other stadiums looked enormous in there. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: AP85 on August 06, 2017, 12:16:36 pm
I hate that. Their band was going to be more entertainment than their football team
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

elksnort

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on August 07, 2017, 07:31:03 am
I hate that. Their band was going to be more entertainment than their football team
Yes it would have. The marching Rattlers. I think they call them. Anyway, they are supposedly very good.

And I agree with others, these kind of games need to go away.

GuvHog

Quote from: elksnort on August 07, 2017, 12:03:20 pm
Yes it would have. The marching Rattlers. I think they call them. Anyway, they are supposedly very good.

And I agree with others, these kind of games need to go away.

If the SEC moves to a 9 game conference schedule I believe non-conference opponents like FAMU will become the norm because SEC coaches will want all 3 non-conference games at home every year for the revenue.

hogsanity

about time for some of these schools to quit pretending, and just drop football.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Back in the day every school rode the bus, not luxury liner buses  but old school no ac having buss-es.

Suck it up Buttercup.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

tbhogfan

Track team used to take vans to over 90% of our road meets.  Taking a bus was a MAJOR upgrade.  We had many 10+ hour trips and did just fine.  It's pretty amazing what you can do when you're 18-22.
Go Hogs!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 06, 2017, 05:53:55 pm

It's a crappy situation for FAMU for sure.

However, road trips can be awesome.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on August 07, 2017, 02:11:32 pm
about time for some of these schools to quit pretending, and just drop football.

Why because they choose not to fly the entire team for a game that means NOTHING but a 750K payout! You think Title XI has been a monster for P-5 schools...think what it does for your lower tier schools.

BWS

The AD at Florida A&M has to be commended for what he's done there. He took over a program that had a deficit of $7.7 million and is now operating in the black. The 16-17 year end budget ended with a surplus of $9,000. That's an amazing turnaround in just two years.