Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dan Enos was on the list for Alabama...

Started by Michael_E_Davis, August 05, 2017, 08:03:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 09:52:35 am
That's the reason you don't use the word AMAZING to describe a coaches impact on a team.

You do in comparison to Jim Chaney......

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2017, 09:54:11 am
You do in comparison to Jim Chaney......

True - I agree Enos is a huge improvement...but I do remember the days when people LOVED the Jim Cheney hire  - that's the life of a coach. One day respected, then fired

Enos is currently doing a respectable job, I'm glad we have him. I hope we keep improving to the point we can all call him Amazing

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Danimal

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on August 05, 2017, 09:06:30 pm
1. Brandon Allen under Jim Chaney compared to Brandon Allen under Dan Enos. That's what Enos brings to our offense.
2. Go back and watch a few Arkansas games from 2014 and see how often the game was lost due to horrible play calling. Remember Chaneys flea flicker on 4th down vs A&M? What about the double reverse with a tight end?! We don't have miscues like that anymore because we have a guy with situational awareness and a high football IQ

I would LOVE for Enos to be the head coach in waiting. 
Maybe he already IS the head coach in waiting -- might explain why he's still here.

STLhawg

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 09:58:47 am
...but I do remember the days when people LOVED the Jim Cheney hire  - that's the life of a coach. One day respected, then fired
I cannot help but wonder if the same people over-elevating Enos also (at one time) thought Rob Smith was an amazing DC?

twistitup

Quote from: STLhawg on August 06, 2017, 10:12:55 am
I cannot help but wonder if the same people over-elevating Enos also (at one time) thought Rob Smith was an amazing DC?

No doubt about it....there is a portion of fans that blindly buy in 100% and over- elevate every coaching hire made - until they get fired. At that point they backtrack, disrespect the guy and fully support the next hire.

Like every other hire, Enos is Amazing until Enos doesn't meet expectations -

NEXT

jkstock04

Quote from: twistitup on August 05, 2017, 08:55:52 pm
"What he has done for the Arkansas offense has been nothing short of amazing. "

I'm an Enos fan....but dayyyuuuummmm -  really?
Compared to what we had...yes. He's very good with the qbs in my opinion. The last guy wasn't.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

The Kig

Quote from: Poppa Tart on August 05, 2017, 11:32:15 pm
IMHO, he is on track here to become a million dollar OC. That would put him in very very elite company.

I was a bit surprised (relieved) that several big jobs were open last year and he wasn't in the mix.  If those same jobs were open at the end of this season,  it may have been a different story. There have been/are several OC/DC's in the SEC and he is worth it to keep him as long as possible, but when the right job that interests him comes open he will be making several million.  If he is truly happier as an OC, then pay the man top tier OC bank.
Poker Porker

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 09:58:47 am
True - I agree Enos is a huge improvement...but I do remember the days when people LOVED the Jim Cheney hire  - that's the life of a coach. One day respected, then fired

Enos is currently doing a respectable job, I'm glad we have him. I hope we keep improving to the point we can all call him Amazing
While I may not know the inter workings of what 'Bama may or may or not have ever been thinking, I seriously doubt they ever considered trying to add Chaney to their staff.

twistitup

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 06, 2017, 12:15:08 pm
While I may not know the inter workings of what 'Bama may or may or not have ever been thinking, I seriously doubt they ever considered trying to add Chaney to their staff.

who knows....we hired him. NFL experience, Purdue, Tenn - everyone was excited, I remember.

Amazingly short memories

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 12:32:25 pm
who knows....we hired him. NFL experience, Purdue, Tenn - everyone was excited, I remember.

Amazingly short memories

That's complete utterly b.s., HV doesn't agree 100% on anything.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 12:32:25 pm

Amazingly short memories
No, d.a. I'm perfectly aware that Chaney was on our staff. Never said he wasn't. What I DID say is that I seriously doubt that the Tide ever considered hiring him, unlike Enos.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2017, 12:34:28 pm
That's complete utterly b.s., HV doesn't agree 100% on anything.

very true.....98.25% approved of Chaney.

There were HIGH hopes, no doubt.

twistitup

August 06, 2017, 12:41:15 pm #62 Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 02:08:46 pm by twistitup
Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 06, 2017, 12:37:14 pm
No, d.a. I'm perfectly aware that Chaney was on our staff. Never said he wasn't. What I DID say is that I seriously doubt that the Tide ever considered hiring him, unlike Enos.

We don't know d.a. - who cares if you doubt it - we don't know. I willing to bet you were a big Cheney supporter...

I know we are in the SEC and Enos better step up his game a little more - we got crushed at A&M, and beat LA TECH by 1 last year (we already mentioned Auburn)

Not Amazing

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 12:41:15 pm
We don't know d.a. - who cares if you doubt it - we don't know. I willing to bet bet you were a big Cheney supporter...

I know we are in the SEC and Enos better step up his game a little more - we got crushed at A&M, and beat LA TECH by 1 last year (we already mentioned Auburn)

Not Amazing
So you're willing to bet, bet....'fraid you'd lost your butt on that wager. No, I was very much ambivalent concerning Chaney. Didn't really care one way or another. I just wanted him to justify his salary. Then again, I would want that from any of our coaches. All I know is that apparently, at least according to the OP, the Tide wanted him. Enough said.....

DoubleReedHawgCaller

If I didn't agree with any other decisions BB has made in his time here I definitely agreed with the hiring of Enos. The guy has done a good job since coming here.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

twistitup

As a head coach he was 26-36 at Central Michigan...5 years, best record was 7-6

Where is all the hype for Enos coming from? I've seen him mentioned as the 'head coach in waiting' - why?

After doing a little research, I need to be convinced...what made you guys fans of Enos?

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: STLhawg on August 06, 2017, 01:15:42 am
Sure, take a shot at belittling me -- that proves your point!  Does it make you feel like a tough guy?
No, it doesn't. Actually, I want to apologize for being rude; I was in a foul mood last night. I still disagree with you, but you're a fellow Hog fan, and I don't think you're a troll, so that was unwarranted.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

wildhogman

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 09:52:35 am
That's the reason you don't use the word AMAZING to describe a coach's impact on a team.

If a person would conisder what CBP did with Casey Dick his sr. year nothing short of amazing. Then what Enos did with BA his last year is the same.  And how well prepared and ready to roll AA was last year again, amazing.  There is alot more to Enos job then just calling plays.

twistitup

Quote from: wildhogman on August 06, 2017, 05:37:24 pm
If a person would conisder what CBP did with Casey Dick his sr. year nothing short of amazing. Then what Enos did with BA his last year is the same.  And how well prepared and ready to roll AA was last year again, amazing.  There is alot more to Enos job then just calling plays.

This is simple....we have different definitions of 'amazing'

wildhogman

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 05:43:47 pm
do you think what Petrino did with Casey in one year was amazing?

factchecker

Quote from: wildhogman on August 06, 2017, 05:37:24 pm

Quote from: wildhogman on August 06, 2017, 05:49:51 pm
do you think what Petrino did with Casey in one year was amazing?

Good question -

Casey Dick

Pre-Petrino:  2007     150/262     57.3%   1695 yards     18 TDs    10 INTs     126.6 QBR
With Petrino: 2008     205/357     57.4%   2586 yards     13 TDs    14 INTs     122.4 QBR

Brandon Allen

Pre-Enos: 2014     190/339     56.0%     2285 yards     20 TDs    5 INTs     129.2 QBR
With-Enos: 2015     244/370     65.9%     3440 yards     30 TDs     8 INTs     166.5 QBR
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PonderinHog

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 05:43:47 pm
I've never thought of you as amazing, either. 

Borderline erotic, maybe...

King Kong

Quote from: Danimal on August 06, 2017, 10:09:17 am
Maybe he already IS the head coach in waiting -- might explain why he's still here.

He is the same age as CBB.

wildhogman

Quote from: factchecker on August 06, 2017, 05:51:00 pm
Good question -

Casey Dick

Pre-Petrino:  2007     150/262     57.3%   1695 yards     18 TDs    10 INTs     126.6 QBR
With Petrino: 2008     205/357     57.4%   2586 yards     13 TDs    14 INTs     122.4 QBR

Brandon Allen

Pre-Enos: 2014     190/339     56.0%     2285 yards     20 TDs    5 INTs     129.2 QBR
With-Enos: 2015     244/370     65.9%     3440 yards     30 TDs     8 INTs     166.5 QBR
I guess the facts and stats came at him too fast and messed up his thoughts.
I'd say both turn arounds in ONE year were fairly amazing

Edit: I was looking at yards. I only just saw the TD to int ratio and QBR. maybe one wasn't so amazing. But Petrino did help Casey a lot in so many ways that gave us some good vistories and memroies for that year. Allowed every hogfan a special place for Casey after a career marred in HC turnover and controversy.  I'll never forget him throwing the game winning TD against LSwho that year that launched so much hope for the fan base.
Amazing isn't it

twistitup

Quote from: wildhogman on August 06, 2017, 06:05:14 pm
I guess the facts and stats came at him too fast and messed up his thoughts.
I'd say both turn arounds in ONE year were fairly amazing

Edit: I was looking at yards. I only just saw the TD to int ratio and QBR. maybe one wasn't so amazing. But Petrino did help Casey a lot in so many ways that gave us some good vistories and memroies for that year. Allowed every hogfan a special place for Casey after a career marred in HC turnover and controversy.  I'll never forget him throwing the game winning TD against LSwho that year that launched so much hope for the fan base.
Amazing isn't it

Casey D and the vistories and memroies he created- amasing

....back on Enos, I'm just glad we get a little of that high powered Chippewas offense on our staff.....Go Hogs, I wish the best for the guy

wildhogman

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 06:25:36 pm
Casey D and the vistories and memroies he created- amasing

....back on Enos, I'm just glad we get a little of that high powered Chippewas offense on our staff.....Go Hogs, I wish the best for the guy

that's it? making fun of typos, and the mascot of Enos HC gig is all you got??  very very weak. Maybe twist another and give it a little more thought.  Amazing a man so enlightened from the twist cant do better then this
HEY!!!!! wait,, your amazing too

STLhawg

Quote from: Poppa Tart on August 06, 2017, 05:20:27 pm
No, it doesn't. Actually, I want to apologize for being rude; I was in a foul mood last night. I still disagree with you, but you're a fellow Hog fan, and I don't think you're a troll, so that was unwarranted.
Apology accepted...and I have been there before so I understand.  We can agree to disagree.  For the record, I hope my concerns are alleviated and Enos turns out to be really amazing!

twistitup

Quote from: wildhogman on August 06, 2017, 06:50:55 pm
that's it? making fun of typos, and the mascot of Enos HC gig is all you got??  very very weak. Maybe twist another and give it a little more thought.  Amazing a man so enlightened from the twist cant do better then this
HEY!!!!! wait,, your amazing too

Do your research on the guy - I don't have time to argue an obvious point. Enos has a long way to go before being in the ranks of Ellite OC's - million dollar guys, SEC head coach, etc....Go Hogs - Go Enos - FINISH

Bringing up Casey Dick was a good laugh. Want to talk Nathan, and the amazing things he did at UCA?

Danimal

Quote from: King Kong on August 06, 2017, 05:55:41 pm
He is the same age as CBB.
So if CBB were to leave/get fired, we'd have a coach the same age as CBB...That's interesting.

Tusks

I just think whoever is the OC they also need to be the QB coach.  Chaney was not.  His attitude was that if a player had the goods to be at the SEC level that player didn't need his mechanics mess with, he already knew how to do it.

I couldn't DISAGREE more.  You telling me that Tiger Woods, the greatest golfer in his generation still had a swing coach, to work on areas of his swing.  Tiger was great enough to get there but he still needed a coach.

A college QB needs help with throwing mechanics, footwork, everything.  A QB coach.  I don't buy teams that don't have QB coaches, makes no sense to me.

The fact that the hogs have a QB coach with Enos is half the battle.  I predict the big guy that QBs UGA will not improve over last season more than AA improves over last year, for all these reasons.

I think Mallats 2010, 3800 yards passing may be in jeopardy from AA this season.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Tusks

twistitup

Cheney is now OC at Georgia

Step up or down?

Let's all keep an eye out and see how he does - will be interesting

Tusks

Anybody willing to bet that A.A. throws for 4,000 yards and over 30 TD this season ?

Tusks

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 08:50:33 pm
Cheney is now OC at Georgia

Step up or down?

Let's all keep an eye out and see how he does - will be interesting

Is this Chaneys 2nd or 3rd season there?  I'l guarantee that his QB doesn't improve as much this season as A.A. does?

Is this Chaneys 2nd or 3rd season there?  I'l guarantee that his QB doesn't improve as much this season as A.A. does?

twistitup

Quote from: tusked on August 06, 2017, 08:57:13 pm

is it a guarantee or question?

It will be fun to watch...we could set up the Enos / Cheney Tracker and follow their seasons.

Tusks

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 09:06:26 pm
is it a guarantee or question?

It will be fun to watch...we could set up the Enos / Cheney Tracker and follow their seasons.

It is a guarantee and a statement of FACT.   :P

hog.goblin

Quote from: tusked on August 06, 2017, 08:57:13 pm

This will be his 2nd

jkstock04

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 12:39:59 pm
very true.....98.25% approved of Chaney.

There were HIGH hopes, no doubt.
BS. The regular homers went to bat for him per their usual thing...but he caught plenty of hell for obvious reasons on here. No chance it was 98% approval. Qb play and play calling was at best average under him...often times both were awful. I would say it was about 50/50.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

870hogfan

Enos is the best OC in the SEC I bet you that.

clutch

I like Enos a lot. I think he actually made a great career move by stepping down from the HC'ing ranks to become an OC again. His status as a HC at his previous job wasn't that impressive. He's revived his name and is not talked about quite often.

With that said, I'm not sure I'd be willing to jump in on the Enos as the next HC for the Hogs train of thought. Not yet anyways. My choice right now for the next Head Hog would be Mike Norvell from Memphis. I really like Norvell. I've seen him at a few coaching clinics and was very impressed by him. He wants the Arkansas job badly too. He's young, his offense is exciting, and he's a good guy. Would really like to see him on the Hill someday. Played ball at UCA, his wife is from the Fort Smith area I believe. He'd be a guy that you never worried about leaving even if he was very successful.

wildhogman

Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2017, 07:28:21 pm
Do your research on the guy - I don't have time to argue an obvious point. Enos has a long way to go before being in the ranks of Ellite OC's - million dollar guys, SEC head coach, etc....Go Hogs - Go Enos - FINISH

Bringing up Casey Dick was a good laugh. Want to talk Nathan, and the amazing things he did at UCA?
research. Ok, how about this. In his sophomore and junior years half of HV proclaimed BA as useless, shell shocked and mentally broken from being thrown into the fire as a fresh to early.  To a top 5 QB in the sec and HV wishing he had one more year.
Enos is good at what he gets paid for. Develop the QB's, Come up with a game plan that if executed properly gives us a chance to win. Keep his charges out of trouble with legal and acedemics. I'd say in todays college world succeeding in the last two is amazing enough, given all the temptaions to ignore the books and party. But the development of the QB's tossed in is pretty amazing. Ofcourse we cant over look the QB's he has recruitedor the talent we have stacked up at the QB position. That too is amazing since we aren't known as QBU.  You don't want to give the guy credit, that's fine, but don't rain on those who see things different. 

twistitup

Quote from: wildhogman on August 07, 2017, 01:43:15 am
research. Ok, how about this. In his sophomore and junior years half of HV proclaimed BA as useless, shell shocked and mentally broken from being thrown into the fire as a fresh to early.  To a top 5 QB in the sec and HV wishing he had one more year.
Enos is good at what he gets paid for. Develop the QB's, Come up with a game plan that if executed properly gives us a chance to win. Keep his charges out of trouble with legal and acedemics. I'd say in todays college world succeeding in the last two is amazing enough, given all the temptaions to ignore the books and party. But the development of the QB's tossed in is pretty amazing. Ofcourse we cant over look the QB's he has recruitedor the talent we have stacked up at the QB position. That too is amazing since we aren't known as QBU.  You don't want to give the guy credit, that's fine, but don't rain on those who see things different. 

What qb's has he recruited? Talent stacked at the qb position? Amazing?

If he's that damn talented, what happened at CMU?

clutch

Quote from: twistitup on August 07, 2017, 05:15:56 am
What qb's has he recruited? Talent stacked at the qb position? Amazing?

If he's that damn talented, what happened at CMU?

That's what would scare me about him being named HC. The Western Michigan record. It's not a place that it's impossible to win. Brian Kelly had a winning record there over his 3 seasons. Some people are just meant to be coordinators and not Head Coaches. That's not saying they are bad coaches. In fact, they may be outstanding coaches, and that is why they are better as coordinators, because they are actually coaching. The HC position is more of a CEO position at that level. There's some really good Head Coaches who aren't as good at actually coaching as some of the coordinators out there that tried head coaching and failed.

I think he is a very good QB coach. I also think he is a really good OC. Like you, I'd hold off on the amazing part right now because I think you need longer than 2 years of a sample size to claim someone is amazing.

I hope Enos stays at the UofA for a long time as the OC. He's definitely good at it or he wouldn't be sought after by so many high profile teams.

twistitup

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 06, 2017, 10:59:01 pm
BS. The regular homers went to bat for him per their usual thing...but he caught plenty of hell for obvious reasons on here. No chance it was 98% approval. Qb play and play calling was at best average under him...often times both were awful. I would say it was about 50/50.

Not hindsight....I'm saying the approval rating was 98% when he stepped in the door - not after we saw his play calling and qb play

Looking back, everyone wants to crush him, but in the beginning it was pretty much a love fest. Georgia likes what they see - time will tell.

clutch

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 06, 2017, 10:59:01 pm

There was definitely some Chaney love fest going on when he was first hired. Everyone kept talking about what he did at Purdue, saying he developed Drew Brees and stuff like that. It didn't take everyone long to turn on him once they saw he wasn't that good of a play caller, but before he coached a game, the Chaney love was strong.

MuskogeeHogFan

August 07, 2017, 08:38:48 am #95 Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:54:03 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: clutch on August 07, 2017, 07:58:06 am
There was definitely some Chaney love fest going on when he was first hired. Everyone kept talking about what he did at Purdue, saying he developed Drew Brees and stuff like that. It didn't take everyone long to turn on him once they saw he wasn't that good of a play caller, but before he coached a game, the Chaney love was strong.

When Chaney was hired I thought that he might be a good OC...it can happen even with a former D-Lineman. But I sniffed out the QB development thing pretty quickly. He had QB coaches at each of his stops with the exception of one year, as I recall.

Additionally, Chaney always said that College QB's are at that level for a reason so he didn't like to work with them on changes in their throwing motion, release points, footwork, etc. He said he figured that they knew what they were doing when they were recruited or they wouldn't have been playing in college. I'm pretty sure that anyone who read that called b.s. on that statement by Chaney, which is why I was so ecstatic when it was announced that we had hired a former HC, OC and QB in Enos to come here. I knew he would do a better job with the QB's than Chaney ever did.
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Saban wanted Enos because they have Mich St. connection...it's who you know

Saban was D coordinator when Enos was a Fr. on scout team

Mich St boys stick together, obviously

jkstock04

Quote from: twistitup on August 07, 2017, 07:55:15 am
Not hindsight....I'm saying the approval rating was 98% when he stepped in the door - not after we saw his play calling and qb play

Looking back, everyone wants to crush him, but in the beginning it was pretty much a love fest. Georgia likes what they see - time will tell.
One of the main spin lines on the guy was that his playbook was so advanced and complicated it was going to take years upon years to get installed. THEN we would have a great offense...it was just going to take a few years to get it done.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

twistitup

August 07, 2017, 09:03:43 am #98 Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:04:47 pm by twistitup
Quote from: jkstock04 on August 07, 2017, 08:54:36 am
One of the main spin lines on the guy was that his playbook was so advanced and complicated it was going to take years upon years to get installed. THEN we would have a great offense...it was just going to take a few years to get it done.

Yep, I remember those conversations. Waayyy too complicated was the hit on him, I think that is his way to guarantee himself more than 1-2 year

Cheney:  'it takes 4-5 to implement the system...patience'

PonderinHog

Quote from: twistitup on August 07, 2017, 09:03:43 am
Yep, I remember those conversations. Waayyy to complicated was the hit on him, I think that is his way to guarantee himself more than 1-2 year

Cheney:  'it takes 4-5 to implement the system...patience'
That never made sense to me at the college level, for obvious reasons.