Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big 12 Coaches talk anonymously about TCU in the preseason Athlon magazine...

Started by RedSkiesAtNightHog, August 04, 2017, 09:20:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RedSkiesAtNightHog

TCU

"Gary (Patterson) wasn't happy with their defense or their offense last year, so I think you'll see some changes, but you're limited by your personnel. And I just don't see them being back in the top half of the conference."

"They've always been so strong on defense, so it was real surprising to see what happened last year. I think they just lost some guys that were good players for them, and just weren't as talented as what they have been up front."

"They always had so many good defensive linemen, especially the interior of their defense. A couple years ago, their linebackers were awesome. They just don't have that kind of linebacker play anymore, that disruptive type of player they're used to having, and because of that I just don't think they're as formidable."

"They're good in the secondary but not great, so they're just a step down personnel-wise overall on defense, and when you're struggling on offense that's not a great combination."

"They're struggling to find a quarterback to re-create what they had with (Trevone) Boykin. With Kenny Hill it just hasn't clicked yet, and I'm not sure it will. His supporting cast isn't what it should be, and he's struggling because of it and he's losing confidence because he's struggling."

"They don't have those dynamic receivers who could really help him."

"It will be interesting to watch their running back (Kyle Hicks). He's a talented kid."

In all honesty, does this sound like a team Arkansas will lose to at Fayetteville in the home opener?

j-mann

calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

hview

longpig

Purple Christians gonna bring it to the hill.  That I can tell you. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Sed76

Just hope this new defensive system can stop Kenny Hill from looking like a Heisman candidate. Did a decent job in the first half last year but the second half was pretty ugly.

Michael_E_Davis

It's going to be great watching Kenny Hill getting pounded into the turf.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

widespreadsooie

TCU isn't good anymore, they weren't good last year. We're in for a real disappointing season if we lose to TCU. TCU averaged 16.5 points over the course of their last 4 games last season and beat KS by 1 point outside of those 4 games. We should beat them by double digits if the passing game can open up with inexperienced receivers in the early season.

HOGINTENNESSEE

TCU's offense should be much improved. Lost basically nothing on that side of the ball.

They  did lose quite a bit of talent on defense. Hopefully we can use that to our advantage

a0ashle

TCU fans are writing last year off on injuries (especially on defense) and expecting the gap to be filled by experience earned last year.

RebelW

We have to run the ball all 4 quarters. Keep the O off the field. Can't get in a pissing match with them.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 05, 2017, 08:37:41 am
TCU's offense should be much improved. Lost basically nothing on that side of the ball.

They  did lose quite a bit of talent on defense. Hopefully we can use that to our advantage

TCU returns more team-wide experience than any other P-5 team. They return 10 starters on offense and 7 on defense. I don't care what other B12 coaches may have said about them, Patterson will have them ready and they will put up a fight. Steele has them picked to finish 3rd in the B12 behind Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.
Go Hogs Go!

rljjr

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on August 04, 2017, 09:20:15 pm
TCU

"Gary (Patterson) wasn't happy with their defense or their offense last year, so I think you'll see some changes, but you're limited by your personnel. And I just don't see them being back in the top half of the conference."

"They've always been so strong on defense, so it was real surprising to see what happened last year. I think they just lost some guys that were good players for them, and just weren't as talented as what they have been up front."

"They always had so many good defensive linemen, especially the interior of their defense. A couple years ago, their linebackers were awesome. They just don't have that kind of linebacker play anymore, that disruptive type of player they're used to having, and because of that I just don't think they're as formidable."

"They're good in the secondary but not great, so they're just a step down personnel-wise overall on defense, and when you're struggling on offense that's not a great combination."

"They're struggling to find a quarterback to re-create what they had with (Trevone) Boykin. With Kenny Hill it just hasn't clicked yet, and I'm not sure it will. His supporting cast isn't what it should be, and he's struggling because of it and he's losing confidence because he's struggling."

"They don't have those dynamic receivers who could really help him."

"It will be interesting to watch their running back (Kyle Hicks). He's a talented kid."

In all honesty, does this sound like a team Arkansas will lose to at Fayetteville in the home opener?

I'm not letting myself get lulled into that line of thinking again. Texas Tech, Toledo and Mizzou come to mind. We just have to line up and kick the living dog poop out of them. I remember Bret from the old Big 10 days when they would just beat the snot out of people and lots of folks took umbrage to it, thinking he shouldn't run the score up. Well, I want THAT CBB running the score up as much as possible. Never let up. Never give the enemy a chance.

Deep Shoat

With the retirement of Dick Bumpas, TCU will return to mediocrity.  We're already seeing it.  Gary Patterson is being exposed.  It was Bumpas who made them relevant.
All Gas, No Brakes!

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 05, 2017, 09:16:06 am
TCU returns more team-wide experience than any other P-5 team. They return 10 starters on offense and 7 on defense. I don't care what other B12 coaches may have said about them, Patterson will have them ready and they will put up a fight. Steele has them picked to finish 3rd in the B12 behind Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

TCU returned 8 starters on defense last year and Arkansas lit them up for 41 points in that 3rd game. Just sayin'.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 05, 2017, 10:03:51 am
With the retirement of Dick Bumpas, TCU will return to mediocrity.  We're already seeing it.  Gary Patterson is being exposed.  It was Bumpas who made them relevant.

This is exactly why TCU's defense struggled last year and why they will continue to do so.

Hollywood_HOGan45

The NewEra

Quote from: Sed76 on August 04, 2017, 11:30:46 pm
Just hope this new defensive system can stop Kenny Hill from looking like a Heisman candidate. Did a decent job in the first half last year but the second half was pretty ugly.

This is the one thing I hope and believe the 3-4 will really help this team with.  For a few years now we've had Q.B.'s looking like track stars and Heisman candidates against us.  I think the 3-4 will allow for a lot more aggression, speed and athleticism to come into play.  Take some time away from those Q.B's who have been leisurely sitting in the pocket in the past and we can will see a major change in the time our defense has to stay on the field.

The NewEra

Every year I'm amused and frustrated when people act like the team they're analyzing is the one that played last year.  College has turnover, growth and maturity taking effect.  Last year doesn't really mean anything in college.  What does mean something is what you mention above.  Returning starters and another year in the system.  Expect TCU to be a tough out this year for everyone.

Vantage 8 dude

I can guarantee you one thing no matter what else: Don't sleep on the frogs. I remember a couple years ago when we had pounded TTU the previous year(obviously not the same as with TCU last season) in Lubbock. They were coming into DWRRS for the return game of the home-and-home and most had this one as an automatic W. Anyone else remember what happened in that one ???

Not saying this will necessarily be the same result, most certainly hope not; however, the point is one never truly knows. I also have to believe that with the general disappointment from last year Patterson will have them dialed in. The Frogs most certainly have enough returning talent and firepower to give the Hogs all they want. I would most certainly LOVE to be wrong on this one.

Hogtimes

Looks like we should  be  undefeated going into the A&M game.  WPS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogtimes on August 05, 2017, 05:42:57 pm

I'll guarantee that this team and the staff won't overlook TCU. They will be a formidable challenge right out of the chutes and Patterson will have them ready to come hunting Hog.

They return the most experience of any P-5 team. 10 returning starters on offense and 7 on defense not counting returning experienced players who saw playing time but weren't official starters. The biggest question is whether they can keep Kenny Hill's head screwed on tight. If he has a bad night it is going to help us a great deal. If he is on his game, it will stress our new 3-4 defense. Might go right down to the wire again despite being in RRS Stadium. The crowd noise might play a huge factor with their offense and could rattle Hill, so I hope everyone shows up loud and rowdy.
Go Hogs Go!

SugarHillGaHog

Dick Bumpas.  Wow I haven't heard that name in so long I had to google it to see if it was who I was remembering.  Yep it was.  Cool

MuskogeeHogFan

Let's talk reality and not just Arkansas homerism. Patterson isn't a defensive slouch. Losing Bumpas hurt, but Patterson is very capable. And don't have a lot of homerism for Bumpas. As I recall, he was offered on at least two different occasions to come back to Arkansas to coach and he didn't want any part of the offers. I don't recall what the problem was, maybe someone else does, but I think the last time he was about ready for retirement, which I can understand for being a good reason for not wanting to make a change. The other time, I don't recall the reason.

Frankly, I wish we could interest Bumpas in coming back to be a Defensive Consultant. The man knows defense. I think he would be a great fit with Rhoads.

Bottom line, don't sleep on Patterson's ability to put together a sound defense.
Go Hogs Go!

King Kong

Quote from: Hogtimes on August 05, 2017, 05:42:57 pm

TCU can most definitely beat us. They will be motivated about last year

TNRazorbacker

They'll be salty. Expect a 4 quarter game. Arkansas has no business taking anyone lightly.

I do not care how good they may be, how much talent they have, or how well coached they are.  We will have them at our house, our talent should be better than theirs, our coaching should be better than theirs, overall, and our crowd will be better than theirs.  We should be expected to beat this team and I do EXPECT us to win this game.  Our attitude, preparedness and will to win should be there. 

All that said, I worry about this veteran TCU coach and his team just getting ready and coming in and doing a days work on us.  I believe this is a game that will determine our team's level of success for this entire season. If we win this game against a true non rent a win, this early in the season as we should, I believe it could set the stage for a decent year.

phadedhawg

Arthur pigby sellers.

Hogs notoriously start off slow. Remember that Tech almost beat us early last year.  Wonder who vegas will pick?

HamSammich

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on August 05, 2017, 09:18:19 pm
Hogs notoriously start off slow. Remember that Tech almost beat us early last year.  Wonder who vegas will pick?

we will be favored by about 6. Just watch out guys and don't burn down the barn if we lose. TCU isn't bad. They and Texas will be vying for conference champ.... Okie state will be somewhere in the mix too.

Smokehouse

Early in the season, breaking in a new defense, playing a mobile QB and a WR (Turpin) who torched us last year and is looking to put up a comeback year after injuries, looking for new leaders outside of Allen on offense...

I hope we crush them by 30 but I'm expecting a close one. I'd say Hogs only win going away with it if Whaley just has a monster game and limits the chances for a defensive breakdown.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

bennyl08

Game should be similar to last year's. Arkansas returns a heckuva lot of experience and was playing a lot of young players last year too.

Our offense will be better. Our defense will be better. How much our defense is better will depend on whether or not we made a good choice with Rhoads and the 3-4. However, with the young talent returning on that side of the ball, we could almost hire Smiley and should see a little bit of improvement just due to the true freshmen who played last year.

TCU's offense will be better for sure. TCU's defense is up in the air similar to ours. They return a lot of experience but didn't have a great year. They should be a bit better, how much better is TBD.

So, all in all, should expect to see a similar talent disparity b/w the two teams as we saw last year. However, this year the game is a home game and we beat them at their place last year. The big question mark for this game comes down to whether Austin or Kenny make the bigger jump in their second years and the biggest question becomes how each team's defense improves.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 05, 2017, 06:52:32 pm
Let's talk reality and not just Arkansas homerism. Patterson isn't a defensive slouch. Losing Bumpas hurt, but Patterson is very capable. And don't have a lot of homerism for Bumpas. As I recall, he was offered on at least two different occasions to come back to Arkansas to coach and he didn't want any part of the offers. I don't recall what the problem was, maybe someone else does, but I think the last time he was about ready for retirement, which I can understand for being a good reason for not wanting to make a change. The other time, I don't recall the reason.

Frankly, I wish we could interest Bumpas in coming back to be a Defensive Consultant. The man knows defense. I think he would be a great fit with Rhoads.

Bottom line, don't sleep on Patterson's ability to put together a sound defense.

Patterson is pretty decent when it comes to defense but let's be honest, Bumpass was what made the TCU defenses as good as they were. They miss him BADLY and it showed last year even though they returned 8 starters on defense.

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

bennyl08

Quote from: GuvHog on August 06, 2017, 02:07:17 pm
Patterson is pretty decent when it comes to defense but lets' be honest, Bumpass was what made the TCU defenses as good as they were. They miss him BADLY and it showed last year even though they returned 8 starters on defense.

CFBstats only goes back to 2008 and Bumpas was the DC and DL coach at TCU from 2004 so I can't find the info from 2001 to 2003 with Patterson at TCU before Bumpas.

However...

08-14: Total defense worst ranking was 32nd. Scoring defense worst year was 54th, every other year was 30th or better with 4 years in the top 10.

15-16: Total defense best ranking was 63rd. Total defense ranked 64th both years.

So, there is certainly merit to Guv's argument that Bumpas was what made TCU's defense. 2016 they returned 8 starters and we all saw the results of that.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on August 06, 2017, 02:07:17 pm
Patterson is pretty decent when it comes to defense but lets' be honest, Bumpass was what made the TCU defenses as good as they were. They miss him BADLY and it showed last year even though they returned 8 starters on defense.

You may be right, TCU has dropped off some in total defense since the departure of Bumpas.

Total Defense
2011 Bumpas/Patterson                #32  347.4
2012 Bumpas/Patterson                #16  323.9
2013 Bumpas/Patterson                #24  356.4
2014 Bumpas/Patterson                #18  341.8
2015 DeMontie Cross/Patterson      #63  398.4
2016 Glasgow/Patterson                #73  424.8
Go Hogs Go!

nchogg

One thing is for sure. In the past if we lead at halftime the team seems to get complacent and not keep the heat on. We need to keep the pressure on to the last second of a game. I mean every game.

GoHogs1091

Patterson is probably the 8th or 9th best Head Coach in the FBS.

Our players will have to make plays and make TCU make mistakes, because it will be a head coaching mismatch in favor of TCU.

GuvHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 06, 2017, 04:22:17 pm
Patterson is probably the 8th or 9th best Head Coach in the FBS.

Our players will have to make plays and make TCU make mistakes, because it will be a head coaching mismatch in favor of TCU.

He was rated that high because Dick Bumpass made him look good. Without Bumpass as his DC, he isn't that good.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: GuvHog on August 06, 2017, 04:31:07 pm
He was rated that high because Dick Bumpass made him look good. Without Bumpass as his DC, he isn't that good.

Patterson will have them ready.  He probably has the game circled after what happened last season.

Just keep in mind that Patterson has already done the following against Bielema when Bielema had the more overall talent on his Wisconsin team than Patterson had on his TCU team.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2011-01-01-texas-christian.html

GuvHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 06, 2017, 04:38:03 pm
Patterson will have them ready.  He probably has the game circled after what happened last season.

Just keep in mind that Patterson has already done the following against Bielema when Bielema had the more overall talent on his Wisconsin team than Patterson had on his TCU team.

Keep in mind that he did that with Dick Bumpass as his DC. I rest my case.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: GuvHog on August 06, 2017, 04:41:15 pm
Keep in mind that he did that with Dick Bumpass as his DC. I rest my case.

I wouldn't question Patterson's defensive coaching ability.  While Bumpas was the DC, it was widely known that was Patterson's defense, i.e., like the Nick Saban/Kirby Smart situation was at Alabama.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 06, 2017, 04:45:00 pm
I wouldn't question Patterson's defensive coaching ability.  While Bumpas was the DC, it was widely known that was Patterson's defense, i.e., like the Nick Saban/Kirby Smart situation was at Alabama.
You won't see me agree with Guy often.  I would t know what he said if you wouldn't quote him.  But in this, he's right.  Patterson s defenses were middling before Bumpas, and have been middling since he retired.

All Gas, No Brakes!

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 05, 2017, 06:52:32 pm

Reality? Homerism? For questioning the TCU defense? How in the hedouble L is that homerism? Legit question and you I guess are the one who decides what a question is from a homerism..I guess homeism is expecting US to win at RRS against a non SEC school who is not a juggernaut in anyway. I guess I am a homer I am calling it a 10-14 point win..So I guess I am just a homer.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 06, 2017, 04:38:03 pm

IMO we should have that game circled. After the game Patterson gave us no credit I watched his interview and never seen more lack of respect for our win.

GuvHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 06, 2017, 04:45:00 pm

That's what Patterson wanted everyone to think. Bumpass was a defensive genius and Patterson let him run the show.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: GuvHog on August 06, 2017, 07:51:57 pm
That's what Patterson wanted everyone to think. Bumpass was a defensive genius and Patterson let him run the show.

The following shows that Patterson is regarded as the defensive genius responsible for their defenses.  The first video is 1 hour and 4 minutes, the second video is 1 hour and 49 minutes, the third video is 1 hour and 13 minutes, the fourth video is 2 hours and 1 minute, the fifth video is 2 hours and 1 minute, the 6th video is 2 hours and 1 minute, and the 7th video is 2 hours and 2 minutes.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 05, 2017, 10:47:04 am
I can guarantee you one thing no matter what else: Don't sleep on the frogs. I remember a couple years ago when we had pounded TTU the previous year(obviously not the same as with TCU last season) in Lubbock. They were coming into DWRRS for the return game of the home-and-home and most had this one as an automatic W. Anyone else remember what happened in that one ???

Kenny Hill is no Patrick Mahomes.  He's not even a poor man's Patrick Mahomes.  Mahomes had teams trying to trade up into the top ten picks of the draft to get him.  Kenny Hill will be working at Auto Zone s couple of years after he graduates.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 06, 2017, 07:34:40 pm
Reality? Homerism? For questioning the TCU defense? How in the hedouble L is that homerism? Legit question and you I guess are the one who decides what a question is from a homerism..I guess homeism is expecting US to win at RRS against a non SEC school who is not a juggernaut in anyway. I guess I am a homer I am calling it a 10-14 point win..So I guess I am just a homer.

Bumpas, Bumpas, Bumpas...the Arkansas connection amigo. It had nothing to do with anything else.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 06, 2017, 08:19:36 pm
The following shows that Patterson is regarded as the defensive genius responsible for their defenses.  The first video is 1 hour and 4 minutes, the second video is 1 hour and 49 minutes, the third video is 1 hour and 13 minutes, the fourth video is 2 hours and 1 minute, the fifth video is 2 hours and 1 minute, the 6th video is 2 hours and 1 minute, and the 7th video is 2 hours and 2 minutes.

Like I said, that's just what he wants people to believe. Bumpass was the real genius behind TCU's defense.