Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Record for consecutive winning seasons at Arkansas since joining SEC.

Started by luke hawg, August 04, 2017, 07:31:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

luke hawg

After 27 years in the SEC, Bielema is going for the record this year.  At this point, we haven't managed more than 3 in a row. The record is 13 during the Holtz (7) and Hatfield (6) Era. Broyles surprisingly never had more than 5 winning seasons in a row.

Bielema currently is the only coach to win back to back bowl games in Arkansas football history. He also has the most players drafted in 4 consecutive seasons in Razorback history.

The competition faced during this potential record run which is pathetic to say was against these coaches who rank as follows in school history winning percentage since 1960.

Nick Saban .866 = 1
Dan Mullen .592 = 1
Les Miles .770 = 1
Gus Malzahn .694 = 3 behind Pat Dye .711 and Terry Bowden .731
Hugh Freeze .648 = 2 behind Johhny Vaught .745
Kevin Sumlin .677 = 2 behind R.C Slocum .721
Mark Richt .745 = 1
Butch Jones .588 = 6th
Gary Pinkel .622 = 2 behind Dan Devine .704
Barry Odom .333 = I'm not looking
Jim Mcelwain .703= 3 behind Steve Spurrier .817 and Urban Meyer .813

We are a historically average program that has faced the strongest college division in football history for a period of time on pace to reach new heights for stability in the SEC following a  program record for the most consecutive conference losses in our history.

Winning percentage after 4 years
1. Holtz .770 Fired following Broyles
2. Hatfield .714 Fired following Holtz
3. Broyles .674 Retired
4.Petrino .666 Fired following Nutt
5. Nutt .625 Fired Following Ford
6. Bielema .490 Current following interim
7. Ford .478 Fired following interim

sowmonella

Quote from: luke hawg on August 04, 2017, 07:31:53 pm
After 27 years in the SEC, Bielema is going for the record this year.  At this point, we haven't managed more than 3 in a row. The record is 13 during the Holtz (7) and Hatfield (6) Era. Broyles surprisingly never had more than 5 winning seasons in a row.

Bielema currently is the only coach to win back to back bowl games in Arkansas football history. He also has the most players drafted in 4 consecutive seasons in Razorback history.

The competition faced during this potential record run which is pathetic to say was against these coaches who rank as follows in school history winning percentage since 1960.

Nick Saban .866 = 1
Dan Mullen .592 = 1
Les Miles .770 = 1
Gus Malzahn .694 = 3 behind Pat Dye and Terry Bowden
Hugh Freeze .648 = 2 behind Johhny Vaught
Kevin Sumlin .677 = 2 behind R.C Slocum
Mark Richt .745 = 1
Butch Jones .588 = 6th
Gary Pinkel .622 = 2 behind Dan Devine
Barry Odom .333 = I'm not looking
Jim Mcelwain .703= 3 behind Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer

We are a historically average program that has faced the strongest college division in football history for a period of time on pace to reach new heights for stability in the SEC following a  program record for the most consecutive conference losses in our history.

Very well researched and presented. The small but vocal band of idiots will take over your thread spewing hate towards everything you have posted. Don't let the small minded band of morons bother you. Keep em coming. +1
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Tusks

If a HC can play for a NC every 3-4 years he can only have 5 winning season in a row.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Hogwild

Wow some crazy stats-

QuoteLes Miles .770 = 1 Fired
Gus Malzahn .694 = 3 behind Pat Dye and Terry Bowden Hot Seat
Hugh Freeze .648 = 2 behind Johhny Vaught Fired
Kevin Sumlin .677 = 2 behind R.C Slocum Hot Seat
Mark Richt .745 = 1 Fired
Butch Jones .588 = 6th Hot Seat
Gary Pinkel .622 = 2 behind Dan Devine Resigned

It would be a safe bet that atleast 5 of those 7 won't be coaching in the SEC next year

QuoteBielema currently is the only coach to win back to back bowl games in Arkansas football history.
I didn't believe that was true had to verify it, that is depressing

QuoteAfter 27 years in the SEC, Bielema is going for the record this year.  At this point, we haven't managed more than 3 in a row.

I assume you are referencing winning seasons, CBB has to get over the .500 mark this season.

BigE_23

I'm not sure what's more depressing...the facts as you've laid them out, or that you, along with many of our fans would see this "accomplishment" as something to be proud of.

3kgthog

You can cherry pick a few stats to prop up BB just like I could cherry pick a few to make him easily look like hot garbage.

The meltdowns of last season, 0-fer life against A&M, having a winless SEC season, and having the worst groups of defenses in Hog history stand out to me more than anything. He's Nutt without the drama or the dominating o-line. Yeah, I said it. 

luke hawg

Quote from: BigE_23 on August 04, 2017, 11:47:06 pm
I'm not sure what's more depressing...the facts as you've laid them out, or that you, along with many of our fans would see this "accomplishment" as something to be proud of.

I don't see it as an accomplishment which is why I called the feat pathetic. It is simply a objective look at the history of our program. Some on here vastly overestimate our relevancy in college football especially since joining the SEC.

luke hawg

Quote from: Hogwild on August 04, 2017, 11:35:48 pm
Wow some crazy stats-

It would be a safe bet that atleast 5 of those 7 won't be coaching in the SEC next year
I didn't believe that was true had to verify it, that is depressing

I assume you are referencing winning seasons, CBB has to get over the .500 mark this season.

Yes

GoHogzzGo

Great research. This is one of the reasons I am still strongly behind CBB. Making bowls year after year at Ark is harder then some realize. Builds stability in the program which I greatly enjoy, only make the headlines for good stuff(mostly).

Now if he loses his consistency that will cost him his biggest bragging right.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

luke hawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 05, 2017, 12:13:39 am
You can cherry pick a few stats to prop up BB just like I could cherry pick a few to make him easily look like hot garbage.

The meltdowns of last season, 0-fer life against A&M, having a winless SEC season, and having the worst groups of defenses in Hog history stand out to me more than anything. He's Nutt without the drama or the dominating o-line. Yeah, I said it.

I'm cherry pick stats with a sample size for all data presented and records achieved of 57 and 27 years? Are you serious? I would like the sample for consecutive winning seasons to be higher but we've only been in the league 27 years. I stopped at 1960 for program history because it allowed me to include the Broyles era along with historical figures at other programs such as Vaught, Dooley, Bryant, Stallings, Slocum, Dye, Bowden, Tuberville, Fulmer, Majors, Spurrier, And Meyer.  I also included Bielema's contribution to the longest losing streak for conference games in school history. Your rebuttal is referencing how we subjectively looked in two games at the end of the season. Why not hang on the consecutive losses and overall winning percentage for Bret? It would at least be objective even though conclusions drawn would pale in comparison to mine with a sample size of 4 years. This is because other variables could yield a much larger effect with such a small sample. This means firing a coach right before the season and hiring an interim for a year while completely changing philosophy can negatively affect your program. In fact the last time we did the exact same thing is the second worst stretch in Razorback history. The best data you could present is presenting all of our coaches winning percentage after 4 years. In my data I should probably omit McElwain, Odom, and Jones but it would actually only make Bielema look more favorable so I included for knuckle heads like you.

1. Holtz .770 Fired
2. Hatfield .714 Fired
3. Broyles .674 Retired
4.Petrino .666 Fired
5. Nutt .625 Fired
6. Bielema .490 Current
7. Ford .478 Fired

hog.goblin

Quote from: BigE_23 on August 04, 2017, 11:47:06 pm

So you didn't read what he posted?  Why comment?

wildhogman

Quote from: luke hawg on August 05, 2017, 10:29:55 am
I'm cherry pick stats with a sample size for all data presented and records achieved of 57 and 27 years? Are you serious? I would like the sample for consecutive winning seasons to be higher but we've only been in the league 27 years. I stopped at 1960 for program history because it allowed me to include the Broyles era along with historical figures at other programs such as Vaught, Dooley, Bryant, Stallings, Slocum, Dye, Bowden, Tuberville, Fulmer, Majors, Spurrier, And Meyer.  I also included Bielema's contribution to the longest losing streak for conference games in school history. Your rebuttal is referencing how we subjectively looked in two games at the end of the season. Why not hang on the consecutive losses and overall winning percentage for Bret? It would at least be objective even though conclusions drawn would pale in comparison to mine with a sample size of 4 years. This is because other variables could yield a much larger effect with such a small sample. This means firing a coach right before the season and hiring an interim for a year while completely changing philosophy can negatively affect your program. In fact the last time we did the exact same thing is the second worst stretch in Razorback history. The best data you could present is presenting all of our coaches winning percentage after 4 years. In my data I should probably omit McElwain, Odom, and Jones but it would actually only make Bielema look more favorable so I included for knuckle heads like you.

1. Holtz .770 Fired
2. Hatfield .714 Fired
3. Broyles .674 Retired
4.Petrino .666 Fired
5. Nutt .625 Fired
6. Bielema .490 Current
7. Ford .478 Fired
the biggest obstacle for CBB to overcome is his first year. Its like averaging your core grades and the first score is a 0. No matter how many A's you make, that zero will drag you down.
if we win 10 games the next two years, his winning pct will still only be .584 and in some people eyes that's not going to be good enough. Their battle cry will always be, "he'll have one bad season and we will be irrelivent again. 
it would take 3 years in a row of winning 10 gmes each year just to get back to a 61%.  I don't think 3 years like that is possible.  So even if he gets this turned around its going to take him more then 3 years to get that percentage back to relavency. There will alwys be a few "experts" around here that will never give him credit no matter what.
The funny part is, if he does manage 3 10 win seasons in a row, he will be on par with Guz's percentage at auburn. If they continue their current trend.  I love college football. The exceitment is in the unpredictability of any game on any given Saturday year after year.

luke hawg

Quote from: wildhogman on August 05, 2017, 11:29:21 am
the biggest obstacle for CBB to overcome is his first year. Its like averaging your core grades and the first score is a 0. No matter how many A's you make, that zero will drag you down.
if we win 10 games the next two years, his winning pct will still only be .584 and in some people eyes that's not going to be good enough. Their battle cry will always be, "he'll have one bad season and we will be irrelivent again. 
it would take 3 years in a row of winning 10 gmes each year just to get back to a 61%.  I don't think 3 years like that is possible.  So even if he gets this turned around its going to take him more then 3 years to get that percentage back to relavency. There will alwys be a few "experts" around here that will never give him credit no matter what.
The funny part is, if he does manage 3 10 win seasons in a row, he will be on par with Guz's percentage at auburn. If they continue their current trend.  I love college football. The exceitment is in the unpredictability of any game on any given Saturday year after year.

Obviously counting his first season skews the data significantly but the whining from those wanting a change wouldn't be worth discounting it. You've got whining from some from the data presented because it doesn't account for how the losses looked to them. I think Bielema has to stay away from losing seasons.

wildhogman

Quote from: luke hawg on August 05, 2017, 11:39:56 am
Obviously counting his first season skews the data significantly but the whining from those wanting a change wouldn't be worth discounting it. You've got whining from some from the data presented because it doesn't account for how the losses looked to them. I think Bielema has to stay away from losing seasons.
agreed, no losing seasons and no melt downs. No more giving away games that were sure wins. He does that he will have most fans onboard.

BigE_23

Quote from: luke hawg on August 05, 2017, 09:20:14 am
I don't see it as an accomplishment which is why I called the feat pathetic. It is simply a objective look at the history of our program. Some on here vastly overestimate our relevancy in college football especially since joining the SEC.
Agreed. I misunderstood your post.

luke hawg

Quote from: wildhogman on August 05, 2017, 11:47:37 am
agreed, no losing seasons and no melt downs. No more giving away games that were sure wins. He does that he will have most fans onboard.

My only problem with your statement of no more giving away sure wins. The swings in college football games with uptempo spread offenses has made these significantly more likely. The large swings in games was not just unique to us last season. I agree adjustments must be made but I really get annoyed with the idea that one loss is more significant because of its appearance. Football has changed drastically in the last 30 years.

GuvHog

I have news for you: IF Bielema's Hogs win 10 games this season and win 10 next season, I seriously doubt you'll hear or read any complaints about CBB's overall record at Arkansas.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hog.goblin

luke hawg

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 05, 2017, 12:03:08 pm

The guy you've responded to just acknowledged that he misrepresented my post.You should read more. This feat is nothing to be proud of but it's a start which can be built upon. I want more success but it's not going to magically happen and there is 57 years of history to support that claim. You stick your nose up at any progress made but there is very little to suggest we should expect more.

luke hawg

I get so exhausted with crowd that believes a good coach will manufacture wins anywhere no matter the circumstance. BIelema's next 3 years will be better than any to this point. Some of that is due to improved program stability but it's mostly because the schedule lightens up.

luke hawg

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 05, 2017, 12:20:42 pm
Did you really just quote yourself?

I understand he thinks he misrepresented your post.  I still agree with the basic premise of his... misinterpretation or not. 
Winning two backwater bowls back to back does not instill excitement or a willingness to crow about having 'arrived'.   

If Arkansas football is cyclical in nature, and that cycle entails upswings into upper echelon relevance as well as downturns into losing seasons... well I think most fans would take that if they knew a buildup was in the works.
Nothing in the current scheme of things points to that scenario.

If quoting is used in the traditional sense no. If correcting your poor reading comprehension is quoting as proud and pathetic are synonymous, sure. Where has anyone stated that we've arrived? All I see is a bunch of people shocked at our lack of sustained success. We were perceived in the "SWC" as a good program in the 70s and 80s because we weren't cyclical in nature. We had 13 winning seasons in a row. Exactly when did we peak our head into upper echelon not to get whacked by a perenial power at th end of the season since joining this conference. It's been almost 30 years man. How do you know we're not building up to winning the cotton bowl again? It's not exactly a huge jump. But of course your talking about building up to win things in this conference that have never happened before. 98 was great if not for losing 3 in a row at the end of the season. 1995 and 2002 say hello Georgia. 2006 was amazing if not for USC, Florida, and Wisconsin. 2010 was it but we blew the Bama game couldn't stop Cam and failed to capitalize against OSU. 2011 was the season if it wasn't for getting smashed by Alabama and LSU but we beat KSU in the Cotton Bowl and the bar was set.

GuvHog

Quote from: luke hawg on August 05, 2017, 12:14:07 pm
The guy you've responded to just acknowledged that he misrepresented my post.You should read more. This feat is nothing to be proud of but it's a start which can be built upon. I want more success but it's not going to magically happen and there is 57 years of history to support that claim. You stick your nose up at any progress made but there is very little to suggest we should expect more.

What I saw the Hogs do in 2010 and 2011 tells me we should expect better results than we've gotten the last 3 years.

Locutus_of_Boar

Here is the record of all Arkansas coaches who stayed at least 3 full seasons.

Their total seasons, winning seasons, 5 winning seasons, and record

coach   Seasons   pctWin   Winning-Losing-Tied Seasons
Holtz           7           100%   7-0-0
Hatfield   6           100%   6-0-0
Mitchell   3            100%   3-0-0
Bedzek   5              80%   4-1-0
Petrino   4               75%   3-1-0
Bielema   4               75%   3-1-0
Broyles   19               74%    14-2-3
Nutt           10               70%   7-1-2
Schmidt   7               57%   4-1-2
Barnhill   4               50%   2-0-2
Thompsen   13               31%   4-7-2
Ford             5               20%   1-3-1
Douglass     3                0%   0-2-1

This way or ranking tends to reward mediocre but consistent coaches like Hatfield and Mitchell.  Can't really tell yet whether Beilema is that sort or is better ranked with Holtz, Petrino, and Broyles who were more limited by the recruiting base.

LJHOG

Quote from: GuvHog on August 05, 2017, 01:02:18 pm
What I saw the Hogs do in 2010 and 2011 tells me we should expect better results than we've gotten the last 3 years.
Yeah.  Like we had equivalent talent the last 3 years.

Gonzo

If the Hogs put together back to back 10 win seasons I think the unrest would be nearly inaudible. I sure hope we get to find out.

Go Hogs!

GuvHog

Quote from: LJHOG on August 05, 2017, 04:25:44 pm
Yeah.  Like we had equivalent talent the last 3 years.

According to some on here, the talent under CBB is better than it was in 2010 and 2011.

Bacons Rebellion

luke hawg

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 06, 2017, 06:15:56 am
What makes anyone think Hatfield was fired?

Resigned after being harassed by Broyles to the point of exhaustion. Holtz might have also technicallly resigned.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 06, 2017, 06:15:56 am
What makes anyone think Hatfield was fired?

Unlike Lou who actually waited around and asked Frank the question, Kenny was smart enough to figure it out when Frank held up the plane's departure for Clemson long enough to pull Jack Crowe and not Hatfield off the plane.

luke hawg

luke hawg

Quote from: luke hawg on August 06, 2017, 11:50:15 am
I could be wrong but I expect the SEC West along with the entire conference trending back to normal over the next couple years. The Big TEN seems to be trending upwards with Franklin, Meyer, Harbaugh and USC might be also getting back on track with Washington and Stanford providing depth. Texas will return to being the big dogs in Texas with Oklahoma second taking A&M back to normal levels. The ACC is loaded with coaching talent Richt at Miami, Fisher at FSU, Swinney at Clemson, and Petrino at Louisville. In the conference unrealistic expectations are resulting in the dismissal of a lot of top flight coaches. Miles is gone, Richt is gone, Freeze is gone, Pinkel is gone, and Sumlin is on the hot seat with a lot of uncertainty on the roster. Saban is 65 and while he has built a machine Father Time is coming for him. Mcelwain is on a short leash which might get Mullen out of our division. Our smartest move is to build remain stable and wait