Pages:
Actions
  • #301 by Wildhog on 08 Aug 2017
  • Ask yourself who recruited a lot of the players if not a majority of them when Anderson was the Badger coach.

So you're saying we should see a big drop off from UW this year?
  • #302 by GuvHog on 08 Aug 2017
  • If we have enos in 14 I believe we win the UGA game and possibly 1 more.  But, even that, BIelema still did not have enough time to get all the players he needed.  Nevermind,  I am not going down this road with you Guv.  You are proven to be completely off on so many topics on a daily basis and I am not going down this road with you.  It's been discussed ad nausea here and by intelligent people, we knew Bielema's telling season are the next two seasons.  You won't find me guaranteeing success, you won't see me saying pay the man saban money, or anything like that. 

I also add, and am on record here saying, that no matter how Bielema's tenure shakes out, the next coach will be extremely grateful.  No matter when he tenure is over, he will have left us at a much better place then the last three coaches for sure. 

You're right about beating UGA and one other, that would have put the Hogs at 9 wins in 2014 just as I stated. I'm aware that Bielema had not gotten all of his players on campus in 2014 but it was a pretty good year and he still deserves credit for that so it has to count.

Bielema and his staff have done a good job of recruiting on the offensive side of the ball and one could see the defensive recruiting starting to improve with the 2015 class. 2013 and 2014 were not good defensive recruiting years. I believe this will be CBB's best year as Hog HC so far.
  • #303 by GuvHog on 08 Aug 2017
  • Dude, I am far from delusional.  If you can't comprehend the point of a buyouts amount and job security, then you are beyond help.  There is a HUGE difference in a school paying a buyout of say 1 million (or a coach for that matter), vs the 15.4 million to fire Bielema right now. 

If you think you mentioning 5+ current coaches that have buyouts of millions of dollars that are still at their jobs justifies your point that buyouts are pointless at that amount and can and will be paid if a coach needs to be fired, then I am arguing with someone who is not very intelligent at all. 

To provide a FACTUAL example (since you went on a benny type tangent about facts), to date that I can find, only one buyout has been paid north of 10 million and that was Charlie Weis, which is today still laughed at and brought up at least once every football season.  The next closest is Bo Pelini which was 7.9 million on the report I find which was written at the end of 2016.  Two big coaches fired after that I looked up, Charlie Strong is just owed his salary for the contract, so no real buyout sum, and Les miles was 12.9 million minus his salary, putting the cash owed to him around 9 million to get him to go away. 

So, to draw this conclusion for you using FACTS, only one coach has been canned with a 8 figure buyout and it was Charlie Weis by one of the biggest cash cow schools in the NCAA.  It isn't happening here, Bielema would have to run a sex trafficing ring to be fired this year, or something that serious. 

Schools don't pay a 15.4 million buyout and it's there and that amount for a reason!

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe Bielema will be fired after this season but it won't be the buyout that keeps him from being fired.
  • #304 by onebadrubi on 08 Aug 2017
  • You're wrong.  They were both 74% (68-24 vs. 20-7).  And Andersen was a little better if you carry out the decimal places.

One of us, you or I, has completely failed the english language. 

I read where someone says both coaches following Bielema's tenure have "matched his record".  In that premise, if someone is matching his record, which insinuates his best, that means they are matching his best record.  Which, literally and technically has not been done, yet. 
  • #305 by Wildhog on 08 Aug 2017
  • One of us, you or I, has completely failed the english language. 

I read where someone says both coaches following Bielema's tenure have "matched his record".  In that premise, if someone is matching his record, which insinuates his best, that means they are matching his best record.  Which, literally and technically has not been done, yet. 

They haven't won fewer than 9 games since CBB left. 

CBB left after going 8-5. 

Let's all just agree that there hasn't been any drop off since he left. 
  • #306 by onebadrubi on 08 Aug 2017
  • So you're saying we should see a big drop off from UW this year?

They probably have one of the easiest schedules in football this year of any power 5.  They will most likely play 1 or at most 2 schools that will be ranked. 
  • #307 by onebadrubi on 08 Aug 2017
  • They haven't won fewer than 9 games since CBB left. 

CBB left after going 8-5. 

Let's all just agree that there hasn't been any drop off since he left.

They have not gone 12-1, so they have not matched his record.  Since the colonel wants to be so factual, which is where this all started. 
  • #308 by Wildhog on 08 Aug 2017
  • They probably have one of the easiest schedules in football this year of any power 5.  They will most likely play 1 or at most 2 schools that will be ranked. 

And the B10 when CBB was there was historically awful. 

I don't understand why it's so hard to look at the numbers and just admit that there hasn't been any drop off.  CBB is still the same coach.  It's not a knock.  It is what it is.
  • #309 by Wildhog on 08 Aug 2017
  • They have not gone 12-1, so they have not matched his record.  Since the colonel wants to be so factual, which is where this all started. 

Arguing superlatives is a dangerous game.  While they haven't gone 12-1, they also haven't won fewer than 9 games, which CBB did in his last year.

It's why I stick with averages.
  • #310 by onebadrubi on 08 Aug 2017
  • And the B10 when CBB was there was historically awful. 

I don't understand why it's so hard to look at the numbers and just admit that there hasn't been any drop off.  CBB is still the same coach.  It's not a knock.  It is what it is.

There are two different conversations going on here.  My comment about their schedule this year had nothing to do with the CBB conversation.  It was just about the post I quoted in which you were embarking on.  Actually highlighting your point you were making.  They will not take a step back this year in the W column unless they have an absolute collapse. 

I've said it multiple times in here and on this board, they have not dropped off.  Don't know why that must continue to be repeated.
  • #311 by Wildhog on 08 Aug 2017
  • There are two different conversations going on here.  My comment about their schedule this year had nothing to do with the CBB conversation.  It was just about the post I quoted in which you were embarking on.  Actually highlighting your point you were making.  They will not take a step back this year in the W column unless they have an absolute collapse. 

I've said it multiple times in here and on this board, they have not dropped off.  Don't know why that must continue to be repeated.

Gotcha.  Miscommunication.

Just feels like we're arguing semantics.
  • #312 by onebadrubi on 08 Aug 2017
  • Arguing superlatives is a dangerous game.  While they haven't gone 12-1, they also haven't won fewer than 9 games, which CBB did in his last year.

I don't think anything about "matched record" is a superlative.  It doesn't go out on a limb to exaggerate anything.  It is very simplistic term, and the only reason I am making such a point about it is Colonel felt the need to drive home "facts" to prove his arrogance. 

The other guy came in and argued to support Colonel, but he's arguing a different argument.  By percentages absolutely, but when you want to lash out of someone on facts, you better be pretty factually accurate.  Very similar to the guy with the quote in his signature about calling some smarter than him and having a major misspelled word in the sentence. 
  • #313 by Wildhog on 08 Aug 2017
  • I don't think anything about "matched record" is a superlative.  It doesn't go out on a limb to exaggerate anything.  It is very simplistic term, and the only reason I am making such a point about it is Colonel felt the need to drive home "facts" to prove his arrogance. 

The other guy came in and argued to support Colonel, but he's arguing a different argument.  By percentages absolutely, but when you want to lash out of someone on facts, you better be pretty factually accurate.  Very similar to the guy with the quote in his signature about calling some smarter than him and having a major misspelled word in the sentence. 

Haha, fair enough.

• #314 by Wildhog on 08 Aug 2017
  • Also, I interpreted "matched record" as referring to wins/year.  I didn't take it to mean, "matched his best season." 

Maybe that's just me.
  • #315 by 870hogfan on 08 Aug 2017
  • Arguing superlatives is a dangerous game.  While they haven't gone 12-1, they also haven't won fewer than 9 games, which CBB did in his last year.

Have they won the Big 10 since he left?
  • #316 by Wildhog on 08 Aug 2017

• Have they won the Big 10 since he left?

Nope.  Urban and Harbaugh took care of that. 

Have they won fewer games since he left?
  • #317 by Inhogswetrust on 08 Aug 2017
  • So you're saying we should see a big drop off from UW this year?

Anderson might have recruited well. I don't know. I DO know that he was there so briefly that a lot of the player there was recruited by BB and his staff.
  • #318 by Wildhog on 08 Aug 2017
  • Anderson might have recruited well. I don't know. I DO know that he was there so briefly that a lot of the player there was recruited by BB and his staff.

CBB's players are gone.  We'll see how UW does without them.
  • #319 by ShadowHawg on 08 Aug 2017
  • CBB's players are gone.  We'll see how UW does without them.

Who cares? I want to see what his players are going to do here.
  • #320 by Wildhog on 08 Aug 2017
  • Who cares? I want to see what his players are going to do here.

lol, well yeah.
  • #321 by HiggiePiggy on 08 Aug 2017

• Yeah those 3 big 10 titles was a joke wasn't it??

One of them was. The other 2 were not. 
  • #322 by HiggiePiggy on 08 Aug 2017
  • CBB's players are gone.  We'll see how UW does without them.

As far as overall coaching I believe the big 10 now has the better coaches than the SEC. I can see that conference becoming a power again like it was back in the past.

SEC has Saban and I would say second best in the entire sec would be Mullen. 
  • #323 by ChitownHawg on 08 Aug 2017

Averages can be misleading when you are comparing different time lengths. CBB coached longer at UW, so the opportunity to win/lose is higher. Hard to use averages when one has 8 years and the other 2.
  • #324 by Wildhog on 08 Aug 2017
  • Averages can be misleading when you are comparing different time lengths. CBB coached longer at UW, so the opportunity to win/lose is higher. Hard to use averages when one has 8 years and the other 2.

You're right about that, but we're going on five years and there's been absolutely zero drop off. 

They're pre-season top 10 this year.  We'll see how it turns out.
  • #325 by ChitownHawg on 08 Aug 2017
  • One of them was. The other 2 were not.

"Joke"? You step on the field and do your best. That is all you can control. You play the teams you are scheduled with.

What happens to your conference foes, beyond the game you play them, is out of your control. If they screw up and cause you to win the title then it is STILL legit.

Lessening or cheapening a title for something another team has done is not fair to the players who competed.

Some other team screws up and helps the Hogs win a title - are you not going to celebrate? Are you not going to accept the championship?
  • #326 by Wildhog on 08 Aug 2017
  • "Joke"? You step on the field and do your best. That is all you can control. You play the teams you are scheduled with.

What happens to your conference foes, beyond the game you play them, is out of your control. If they screw up and cause you to win the title then it is STILL legit.

Lessening or cheapening a title for something another team has done is not fair to the players who competed.

Some other team screws up and helps the Hogs win a title - are you not going to celebrate? Are you not going to accept the championship?

I think you quoted the wrong post.
  • #327 by #1Fan on 08 Aug 2017
  • Also, I interpreted "matched record" as referring to wins/year.  I didn't take it to mean, "matched his best season." 

Maybe that's just me.

I agree with your interpretation.  I bet you could ask 100 Hog fans "What's CBB's record at Arkansas" and not one would say "8-5".
  • #328 by ChitownHawg on 09 Aug 2017
  • I think you quoted the wrong post.

Thanks. iPhone posting can be adventurous at times.  ;)
  • #329 by hogblitz on 09 Aug 2017
  • The thing that bothers me the most is the talk of 8 wins.  Many are talking as how great of a season that would be if we achieved that total.  This is HDN all over again without the baggage.  People this is year 5.  To me(and I know it does not matter what I think), anything less than a 9-3 REGULAR SEASON is unexceptable in year 5 and if it is not met we should make a change.  It's nothing personal. The next coach will win right away with the talent level that he is squandering.  Maybe this will be the year that we breakthrough and there is no looking back for our program.  I certainly hope so.    We will see soon enough. 
  • #330 by onebadrubi on 09 Aug 2017
  • The thing that bothers me the most is the talk of 8 wins.  Many are talking as how great of a season that would be if we achieved that total.  This is HDN all over again without the baggage.  People this is year 5.  To me(and I know it does not matter what I think), anything less than a 9-3 REGULAR SEASON is unexceptable in year 5 and if it is not met we should make a change.  It's nothing personal. The next coach will win right away with the talent level that he is squandering.  Maybe this will be the year that we breakthrough and there is no looking back for our program.  I certainly hope so.    We will see soon enough.

Who do you go get?
  • #331 by Deep Shoat on 09 Aug 2017
Pages:
Actions