Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jerry Jones ~ 3rd Hog into NFL HOF

Started by razCzar, August 03, 2017, 10:36:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razCzar

With Jerry's induction, the Razorbacks have three former players in the NFL Hall of Fame – tied with LSU for second most in the SEC behind Bama. 

The conference has 29 inductees out of the 309 total.  MSU, SC, and VU have none.

AL         John Hannah, Don Hutson, Joe Namath, Ozzie Newsome, Ken Stabler, Bart Starr, Dwight Stephenson, Derrick Thomas
AR   (3)  Lance Alworth, Dan Hampton, Jerry Jones
LSU (3)  Jim Taylor, Y.A. Tittle, Steve VanBuren
AU   (2)  Frank Gatski, Kevin Greene
FL   (2)   Emmitt Smith, Jack Youngblood
GA  (2)   Fran Tarkenton, Charley Trippi
KY  (2)   George Blanda , Dermontti Dawson
OM  (2)  Gene Hickerson, Frank Kinard
MO  (2)  Roger Wehrli, Kellen Winslow
TN  (2)   Doug Atkins, Reggie White
AM  (1)  Yale Lary
MSU(0)
SC  (0)
VU  (0)
http://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/colleges/

Watching Jerry's intro piece, his half-time interview, and numerous references to "Arkansas" throughout the HOF Game tonight were truly special "feel-good" moments for sure.

hog.goblin

Steve Atwater should be in already as our 4th

Wayne Martin, Joe Ferguson, and Gary Anderson had great NFL careers, but not HOF careers.

Sivad

Quote from: razCzar on August 03, 2017, 10:36:15 pm
With Jerry's induction, the Razorbacks have three former players in the NFL Hall of Fame – tied with LSU for second most in the SEC behind Bama.

Watching Jerry's intro piece, his half-time interview, and numerous references to "Arkansas" throughout the HOF Game tonight were truly special "feel-good" moments for sure.

Impressive stat.
And Jerry Jones has really been a constant and valued public supporter of the Razorback program.

ArkansasI

Not to rain on this fantastic event, but Jerry is not going in as a player. However, I believe his contributions to the game exceed most players'.

Agree about Atwater.

razCzar

Quote from: ArkansasI on August 04, 2017, 12:06:12 am
Not to rain on this fantastic event, but Jerry is not going in as a player. However, I believe his contributions to the game exceed most players'.

Agree about Atwater.
Totally agree.  Very few nonNFL-players have had this honor bestowed - ie Pete Rozelle, Tex Schramm. 

Very special.

razCzar

Pro Football Hall of Fame Game
Final:  Cowboys 20 - Cardinals 18

Jones welcomed on the field during pregame ceremonies for inductees.

Locker room

Hollywood_HOGan45

clutch

I didn't even realize Atwater wasn't in. I've never really kept up with the Pro Football Hall of Fame like I do the baseball HOF. I just assumed Atwater was already in.

Not a Hog, but T.O. should be in the HoF too. A lot of people didn't like him, but he was a great football player. I thought he'd get in on this class.

Hogs run wild

We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Justifiable Hogicide

Congratulations Jerry Jones!
A great Razorback player, supporter and the best owner in the NFL.

NoogaHog

Any chance Jason Peters gets in someday? 9x Pro Bowl and 6x All-Pro?
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

bennyl08

Quote from: NoogaHog on August 04, 2017, 10:03:30 am

Probably not a first ballot, but likely.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hogwild

I'm shocked that Jerry got in before Jimmy.

Bacons Rebellion

Pig in the Pokey

good call. he has been the best offensive lineman in the league over the last decade all told.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Hogwild

I think he will get in, but Alan Faneca is the next OL up for the Hall.

bennyl08

Quote from: Hogwild on August 04, 2017, 06:12:23 pm
I think he will get in, but Alan Faneca is the next OL up for the Hall.

Peters will have to wait 5 years after he last plays. So, Feneca will likely have been in for several years before Peters is even eligible.

Currently, Peters is having too much fun fielding punts for the eagles.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Practice-Notes-Fletcher-Cox-And-Jason-Peters-Fielding-Punts-Is-Everything-And-More/781d16d4-b0fc-4163-9327-d7e67386e5b4

Check out the video.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hawkhawg

Pat Summerall, Jason Peters, jimmy Johnson, and Steve Atwater could all be hall of famers.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hawkhawg on August 04, 2017, 06:51:47 pm
Pat Summerall, Jason Peters, jimmy Johnson, and Steve Atwater could all be hall of famers.
Summerall, Atwater, and Johnson should have already made it...........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

razCzar

REMINDER:
2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony
Saturday, August 5, 6pm CT
Hall of Fame Museum, Canton, OH
Watch on ESPN/NFL Network

razCzar

2017 Hall of Fame Induction Presenters:
Morten Anderson – Sebastian Anderson 
Terrell Davis – Neil Schwartz 
Kenny Easley – Tommy Rhodes
Jerry Jones – Gene Jones   
Jason Taylor – Jimmy Johnson
LaDainian Tomlinson – Lorenzo Neal
Kurt Warner – Brenda Warner

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/07/05/jerry-jones-officially-announces-his-presenter-hall-fame-induction

With his wife and soul-mate of 50+ years introducing him and under watchful eyes of his life-long "pal", this has the makings of something really special.  Can't wait.

razCzar

The back-story (Jimmy & Jerry Show) is much more compelling than the main story.

Hyde: Jimmy Johnson's Hall of Fame surprise — presenting Jason Taylor, embracing Jerry Jones
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde-jimmy-johnson-02170802-story.html

Jimmy Johnson leaves paradise reluctantly.

Of the dozen players he's coached who have entered the Pro Football Hall of Fame, he's never attended an enshrinement, so as to not favor one over another. And he doesn't do public ceremony well, so even as he agreed to present Jason Taylor at Saturday's induction ceremony,he passed on some traditional festivities.

But if Jimmy's trip from Tavernier to Canton, Ohio, tells of a coach's respect for his player, his other purpose for attending speaks of another emotion from another football chapter. Because if you ever wondered whether time actually does heal old, festering, publicly contentious and privately bubbling wounds, his plan to attend Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones' Hall of Fame party seals it.

This trip actually was planned before Taylor asked his former coach to present him. The mending of an old feud between Jimmy and Jerry isn't just news of national proportion. It's a fine thing to do. It's a statement of time and perspective and tying up loose ends that flapped in the public winds for decades — just as Jimmy and Jerry should do. As we all should do, really.

razCzar

razCzar

razCzar

An Arkansas bus ride changed life for new Hall of Famer Jerry Jones ... and he changed the NFL forever
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/07/18/cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-headed-pro-football-hall-fame

For Jerry Jones, a remarkable journey that now heads to Canton and the Hall of Fame had its inconspicuous beginning on a bus ride from Fayetteville to Little Rock.

The Arkansas football team was making the trip for a game. Jones was an offensive lineman with the Razorbacks in the early 1960s and would sit next to his good friend, running back Jim Lindsey.

Jones came across a story about Art Modell, his beautiful wife and two sons. He was fascinated by the man who gave up a career as an advertising executive to purchase the Cleveland Browns of the NFL.

"I remember reading that as we were riding along, talking,'' Jones said. "And I thought, 'What would it be like to be doing that with your life?'"

Six decades later, Jones has a pretty good idea.

razCzar

Justifiable Hogicide

What a magnificent speech by Jerry.
Woo Pig!

AirWarren

Great speech. Loved seeing Jerry Jab at Jimmy. Switzer looked miserable.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hogwild on August 04, 2017, 04:31:19 pm
I'm shocked that Jerry got in before Jimmy.

Jerry wouldn't be in without Jimmy.  Other than the Super Bowls he won because of Jimmy, Jerry's Cowboys are among the least accomplished of the last two decades.

razCzar

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 05, 2017, 11:41:55 pm
Jerry wouldn't be in without Jimmy.  Other than the Super Bowls he won because of Jimmy, Jerry's Cowboys are among the least accomplished of the last two decades.
Accomplishments on the field, while important, are only a part of why he was inducted.

Jones is the first inductee in the brand new non-player category:  "Owner, President, General Manager".

razCzar

WOW, this was a remarkable speech!

Jerry, you've done us proud.  Thank you!

Jerry Jones' Hall of Fame Speech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fVqRf5iKwQ 

razCzar

razCzar

Jimmy presenting Jason Taylor into the Hall

Sivad

A great Razorback gave the highlight HoF speech

PORKULATOR

Quote from: hog.goblin on August 03, 2017, 11:28:32 pm
Steve Atwater should be in already as our 4th

Wayne Martin, Joe Ferguson, and Gary Anderson had great NFL careers, but not HOF careers.
Plus Pat Summerall as an anouncer /contributor.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PORKULATOR

Sorry to those that said Pat Summerall before I did I didn't read far enough down
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

AirWarren

Dr. Starcs

Is summerall not in?

Easttex, you are such a hater. Lol

DLUXHOG

Quote from: razCzar on August 06, 2017, 01:25:40 am
WOW, this was a remarkable speech!

Jerry, you've done us proud.  Thank you!

Jerry Jones' Hall of Fame Speech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fVqRf5iKwQ 

ARKANSAS was the first thing out of his mouth, and he mentioned the Hogs several times during his speech....   WPS.....

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 06, 2017, 12:31:36 pm
Is summerall not in?

Easttex, you are such a hater. Lol

I'm merely giving credit to the right Razorback.  Jimmy, not Jerry.

Pudgepork

Joe Ferguson should be in. His longevity, talent and accomplishments should be enough.  Add to that the fact that he greatly influenced oj Simpsons career.
Pat Summerall should have been in long ago

DLUXHOG

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 07, 2017, 11:37:55 pm
I'm merely giving credit to the right Razorback.  Jimmy, not Jerry.

Where is your head & heart?   Jerry loved the Hogs so much that he endured his freshman through junior years being kicked around to 3rd team and below....   he didn't start until he was a senior.....   most would have quit before then....   further....  I'd be very surprised if Jimmy, when he gets in to the HOF, mentions ARKANSAS even once....

hawkhawg

Quote from: Pudgepork on August 08, 2017, 03:49:15 pm
Joe Ferguson should be in. His longevity, talent and accomplishments should be enough.  Add to that the fact that he greatly influenced oj Simpsons career.
Pat Summerall should have been in long ago

Im a big Ferguson fan but it is tough to make the Hall as a QB when in a 17 year Career you only played in 4 playoff Games. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: DLUXHOG on August 08, 2017, 05:09:03 pm
Where is your head & heart?   Jerry loved the Hogs so much that he endured his freshman through junior years being kicked around to 3rd team and below....   he didn't start until he was a senior.....   most would have quit before then....   further....  I'd be very surprised if Jimmy, when he gets in to the HOF, mentions ARKANSAS even once....

I'm talking about who built the Cowboys, not their playing careers.  But...Jimmy was a better player, too.