Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Back-up QB

Started by lakecityhog, August 03, 2017, 06:36:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBrandonAllenFan

Definitely Cole Kelly.  At 6' 7", 270 lbs., with a rifle arm, he has all the tools to be a big time SEC QB.  Did anyone notice which back up QB was wearing the headphones last season on the sidelines?  That was Cole.  Cole will likely play on Sundays.

I'd bet grandpa's pig farm Cole starts in 2018.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Hawgphat on August 04, 2017, 08:41:39 pm
It seems to me that there is a high-risk downside to not allowing a backup QB - - or TWO backup QBs - -  to accrue some real game-time experience before the onset of a regrettable situation in which a starting QB is carted off the field, - - - and a very green, very battle-untested rookie is sent out onto the game field - perhaps in a very crucial offensive situation -  against a highly-ranked opponent - with that "deer-in-the-headlights" solemn expression showing on his face.

That's simply one man's opinion.
Well it's not one coach's opinion.  Seriously, not one.  Nobody has done this since the '90s, at least.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Hawgphat

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 04, 2017, 09:25:41 pm
Well it's not one coach's opinion.  Seriously, not one.  Nobody has done this since the '90s, at least.

OK; - - then I suppose that shows what I know about strategic football game planning.  I've got it now.  - - - Play your starting QB until he goes down, - - and then hope and pray for a miraculous performance by an untested backup.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Hawgphat on August 05, 2017, 12:02:55 am
OK; - - then I suppose that shows what I know about strategic football game planning.  I've got it now.  - - - Play your starting QB until he goes down, - - and then hope and pray for a miraculous performance by an untested backup.
Hey, I know!  Maybe LSU will hire you after Ed O blows goat!
All Gas, No Brakes!

bennyl08

I have a better idea. Let's lose to a couple teams we should beat like SC and TCU, sacrifice a full quarter of offense for our backup quarterback so that they can get some real game experience so that when the backup has to go into the game after an injury in another SEC game, we can already have a few extra losses so the sting of the loss in this game from losing the starting qb won't be so bad.

Further, let's run an air raid offense in the second half of a HS opponent type game. That way, we can maximize our chance of injury for other players such that we won't have depth when the SEC schedule kicks into gear, and our qb will get meaningful game experience that is just a little bit tougher than he had in high school and is basically to the point where a skeleton drill is more difficult in practice than the game reps he's getting here...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 05, 2017, 01:01:57 pm
I have a better idea. Let's lose to a couple teams we should beat like SC and TCU, sacrifice a full quarter of offense for our backup quarterback so that they can get some real game experience so that when the backup has to go into the game after an injury in another SEC game, we can already have a few extra losses so the sting of the loss in this game from losing the starting qb won't be so bad.

Further, let's run an air raid offense in the second half of a HS opponent type game. That way, we can maximize our chance of injury for other players such that we won't have depth when the SEC schedule kicks into gear, and our qb will get meaningful game experience that is just a little bit tougher than he had in high school and is basically to the point where a skeleton drill is more difficult in practice than the game reps he's getting here...

So much wrong with your attempt at sarcasm.

You have no idea what you're talking about

bennyl08

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on August 05, 2017, 01:10:18 pm
So much wrong with your attempt at sarcasm.

You have no idea what you're talking about

Sure thing boss.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HamSammich

I think I cracked it. It's Morris code. Amiright? Crafty man--. -.- ..- crafty.

hawganatic

Quote from: Hawgphat on August 04, 2017, 08:41:39 pm
It seems to me that there is a high-risk downside to not allowing a backup QB - - or TWO backup QBs - -  to accrue some real game-time experience before the onset of a regrettable situation in which a starting QB is carted off the field, - - - and a very green, very battle-untested rookie is sent out onto the game field - perhaps in a very crucial offensive situation -  against a highly-ranked opponent - with that "deer-in-the-headlights" solemn expression showing on his face.

That's simply one man's opinion.

Can you throw an example out there of a coach (preferably a highly successful one) that does this? 

Just curious how, if the risk was so great, why we don't see it more often.  Or are you just that much of a football visionary that you can see this where no other coach does?

Hawgphat

Y'all are reading way too much "debate bait" into my observation.  I claim absolutely no coaching credentials and no "student-of-the-game" expertise.  It simply seems to me, - from the standpoint of common sense preparedness - that a coach might seize upon an opportunity to take advantage of a runaway game against Yoo Hoo U., Panhandle State or Slippery Slope Academy to let his backup QBs get a bit of a feel for actual game condition scenarios to offset the possibility that they might be suddenly and unexpectedly called upon to enter a game against Alabama or Auburn in the third quarter with the ball on our own 3 yard line on a third and 13 situation and trailing by a score of 27-13.

But, - - - - again; - - - - - - - what do I know about the intricacies of wise contingency game planning? - - - - Apparently, - absolutely nothing. 

Hawgphat

Quote from: HamSammich on August 05, 2017, 01:19:18 pm
I think I cracked it. It's Morris code. Amiright? Crafty man--. -.- ..- crafty.

I believe the actual term you're referencing here is "MORSE Code", - - - not "Morris Code".  You know, - - dots and dashes.

But, again - - - what do I know about it?  I'm just an ignorant hayseed.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hawgphat on August 05, 2017, 02:50:11 pm
I believe the actual term you're referencing here is "MORSE Code", - - - not "Morris Code".  You know, - - dots and dashes.

Effing well done
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

rzrbkman

I don't think that any coach needs to give a backup QB playing experience against the tougher teams in close games but it seems like under CBB the Hogs have just not been able to pull away enough from the rent a win teams so that the back up gets a chance to get some snaps. I've never felt comfortable with the back up QB situation while CBB has been at Arkansas. In 2013 at home against Auburn, the Hogs were in the game and driving for a score. Brandon Allen gets hurt, A.J. Derby comes in and proceeded to turn the ball over on 2 consecutive offensive snaps. In 2014 Arkansas is trying to drive for the game tying score at Missouri, Brandon Allen is hurt so bad that he can barely stand up and CBB later admits that Austin Allen was still not ready to play at crunch time. When is a back up QB ever going to be trusted at Arkansas?

LJHOG

Quote from: Fan1958 on August 04, 2017, 03:01:01 pm
Here we go again.  According to Hogville, the third string should have been in by the start of the 2nd quarter again La Tech last year but ended up having to pull that one out on 4th and goal with under 3 to play. ::) It's about more than getting backups playing time in these (supposed) rent-a-wins. It's about getting your main guys working together as a unit, especially on the offensive side.

But as always, Tom Brady could be the starting QB and Hogville would want the backup in the game. :-\
And some people here seriously expect more than 7 or 8 wins a year.

HamSammich

Quote from: Hawgphat on August 05, 2017, 02:50:11 pm

I thought you were Morris. Sorry hayseed, my bad.

Hawgphat

Quote from: HamSammich on August 05, 2017, 04:42:02 pm
I thought you were Morris. Sorry hayseed, my bad.

It's no biggie.  We're just exchanging thought patterns here.  Sometimes it's hard to discern a pattern in my thoughts.

Sometimes I just sit and think; - - - - - and then, - - - sometimes - - - I just sit; - - - - if you know what I mean.