Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Future non-conference games Arkansas should schedule

Started by redleg, August 03, 2017, 02:11:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

I am looking forward to seeing the Hogs play Notre Dame and Texas in a few years. It's too bad that Michigan backed out for 2018 and 2019, and a bit ironic that the team they backed out to play, now has us on their schedule! Also, I am ok with Arkansas playing Colorado St as a replacement.

Here are a few home-and-home games I want to see Bielema and Jeff Long try to get for future schedules:
1. Revive our series with Tulsa for an extended series...say ten games.
2. Also revive the Oklahoma St series. That would be a good one!
3. Wisconsin
4. North Carolina
5. Syracuse ... I don't know, it just sounds good.
6. Ohio St.
7. Texas Tech, again
8. Miami Hurricanes ... we owe them!
9. Rutgers ... we owe them too!
10. Louisville ... beat Petrino!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

jdelo77

I vote Okie state and Tulsa !!! Easy drive for both schools !!

longpig

August 03, 2017, 02:30:20 pm #3 Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:57:13 pm by longpig
Nebraska hands down. I lived in Omaha for 4 months early this year and attended the Cornhusker spring game.  The Husker fanbase and stadium is 2nd to none. Same goes for their tailgating.  Nebraskans are wonderful people, generally speaking. Husker fans are going to pack the house and stay till the final whistle regardless how the season is going or how foul the weather is. They charged $5 to $25 a head for the spring game and 75k showed, always have.  Lincoln is also an easy half days drive from NWA and full day from LR.  Could also help with recruiting, considering how much talent is within a few hours of Lincoln and how we seem to compete for the same players regularly. A home and home with Nebraska can't be beat.
Don't be scared, be smart.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: jdelo77 on August 03, 2017, 02:13:35 pm
I vote Okie state and Tulsa !!! Easy drive for both schools !!

Keep in mind, this isn't like the old days when both came to play in Arkansas (Tulsa in Fay, OSU in LR) every year for a couple of decades.  The finances of those two schools would require us to play them at their place as well as in Arkansas.  We might get a 2-for-1 with Tulsa, but OSU would demand a 1-1 split.

Generally, we look for out of conference games we can schedule at home due to the obvious financial benefit.  Maybe ONE home and home split at a time with a big time Power 5 school (Texas, Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, etc.).

Hugo Bezdek

P5 schools: Texas, OU, VaTech, UCLA, Nebraska, Colorado, Miami

I'd also like to see us schedule some H/A games with Service Academies and teams from the American and Mountain west where we like to recruit: Navy, Air Force, Memphis, SMU, Tulane, Houston, South Florida, San Diego State. I think we'd benefit more from these games than playing three rent-a-wins.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: longpig on August 03, 2017, 02:30:20 pm
Nebraska hands down. I lived in Omaha for 4 months early this year and attended the Cornhusker spring game.  The Husker fanbase and stadium is 2nd to none. Same goes for their tailgating.  Nebraskans are wonderful people, generally speaking. Husker fans are going to pack the house and stay till the final whistle regardless how the season is going or how foul the weather is. They charged $5 to $25 a head for the spring game and 75k showed, always have.  Lincoln is also an easy half days drive from NWA and full day from LR.  Could also help with recruiting, considering how much talent is within a few hours of Lincoln and how we seem to compete for the same players regularly. A home and home with Nebraska can't be beat.

If we ever stop playing A&M in Arlington I'd like to see us schedule a series with Nebraska there.

GolfnHog

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on August 03, 2017, 04:19:52 pm
If we ever stop playing A&M in Arlington I'd like to see us schedule a series with Nebraska there.

I'd be in favor of this.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

DLUXHOG

Only if they all agree to play the first game in Fayetteville........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Murr

If we are going to sign a ten game series again, it should only be against Texas. 

Others I'd like to see are Nebraska, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Rutgers (we owe them bastages a couple of whoopin's) and an Iowa or Wisconsin.

GoHogs1091

UCA.  If we want to prepare for the physicality of the SEC, then we might as well play a team who is physical such as UCA.

Florida A&M and New Mexico State is not a way to prepare for the physicality of the SEC.

Sanctified Swine

Power 5... Oklahoma St. for sure
non power 5.... Tulsa, Memphis, SMU

jdelo77

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 03, 2017, 03:20:45 pm
Keep in mind, this isn't like the old days when both came to play in Arkansas (Tulsa in Fay, OSU in LR) every year for a couple of decades.  The finances of those two schools would require us to play them at their place as well as in Arkansas.  We might get a 2-for-1 with Tulsa, but OSU would demand a 1-1 split.

Generally, we look for out of conference games we can schedule at home due to the obvious financial benefit.  Maybe ONE home and home split at a time with a big time Power 5 school (Texas, Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, etc.).

Do a split with OSU , and get Tulsa to agree to come here and that would be a good schedule !

HamSammich

I'm all about Tulsa.

I'd like to see Un. Of Houston and Tulane as well.

I don't want any part of okie state. I think they are about to be really good.

longpig

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on August 03, 2017, 04:19:52 pm

Absolutely!  I think Hog fans and Huskers would hit it off well. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

HiggiePiggy

I lived near Omaha for 5 years when I was a kid. Not a bad place. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

EulessHog

Nebraska!

Reminiscent of the 60's.  My son is in the USAF and is stationed at OFFUTT AIR FORCE BASE.  My in-laws are big Nebraska fans.  The fans and most of the people there do have a lot of class.
Go Hogs Go!

jvanhorn

I would have no problem with home and home series with Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Tulsa or even Memphis.  These are all good schools and fans of of them and Arkansas can easily make the drive each year no matter which school they play at.

hogsanity

I vote no teams from any state touching Arkansas. I want to see them play some teams from other regions that they have never or rarely played. Penn St, Oregon, Fla St, Stanford, Colorado, Washington, Clemson, WV would all be good to see.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dr. Starcs

Stephen Greene

Houston
OU
Georgia Tech
Miami FL
Iowa
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Colorado
Stanford

Screw playing Tulsa, Okie State

Tusks

Two categories.  Teams the hogs should beat and then toss ups.

Maybe some of these would be a 2 or 3-1 home-away for the hogs.

Okie St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
TTech
Baylor
SMU
Memphis
Tulsa
SMU

1-1 home away

Nebraska
Miami
FSU
TX
UCLA
Stanford
Cal
Iowa
OU
GA Tech
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Ben

I like it. I'm in favor for scheduling any team that Arkansas has played in history and has never beat, for competitive purposes. Also wouldn't mind seeing a game vs Arkansas State. 
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

phadedhawg

Washington!  I'd love to see the Hogs play in my back yard.

HamSammich

Quote from: Ben on August 04, 2017, 12:54:31 pm
I like it. I'm in favor for scheduling any team that Arkansas has played in history and has never beat, for competitive purposes. Also wouldn't mind seeing the inevitable game vs Arkansas State.

I'm down with that as well. All things change. No more WMS games (inevitably). Maybe its time to do what every other state in the country does and play in state games.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: EulessHog on August 03, 2017, 07:15:25 pm
Nebraska!

Reminiscent of the 60's.  My son is in the USAF and is stationed at OFFUTT AIR FORCE BASE.  My in-laws are big Nebraska fans.  The fans and most of the people there do have a lot of class.

A really good friend and fraternity little bother that graduated from the UA went to Nebraska for his Masters. He met a girl there, got married and taught school. Then he joined the Air Force and eventually became the principle composer for the Air Force band in DC. Now retired.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusked on August 04, 2017, 10:00:58 am
Two categories.  Teams the hogs should beat and then toss ups.

Maybe some of these would be a 2 or 3-1 home-away for the hogs.

Okie St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
TTech
Baylor
SMU
Memphis
Tulsa
SMU

1-1 home away

Nebraska
Miami
FSU
TX
UCLA
Stanford
Cal
Iowa
OU
GA Tech

The first five you listed would take nothing less than home and home 1 for 1. As a matter of fact that what we recently did with TTU.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

TrueBlue

Ben

Quote from: HamSammich on August 04, 2017, 12:55:58 pm
I'm down with that as well. All things change. No more WMS games (inevitably). Maybe its time to do what every other state in the country does and play in state games.
Yeah we are literally the only school that doesn't do that.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.

j-mann

Quote from: HamSammich on August 04, 2017, 12:55:58 pm

its a lose - lose for us playing A-st  and they will demand a home game at their place    and it will make a-st  as good as us withen 20 years   

unlees we win by 30+  and even then  there is no gain for us only them 
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

j-mann

my picks   

b10 Rut  iowa maryland  penn st   mich st   wisc
ACC UNC DUKE NCST  PITT WF CUSE   CLEM   
B12  EVERYONE but ISU 
P12 ZONA ZONA ST WASH ST ORE CAL STAN  UCLA 
non power 5 NAVY AF ARMY  Colo st   SDSU  MEM  HOU   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

HamSammich

Quote from: j-mann on August 04, 2017, 09:34:36 pm

its a lose - lose for us playing A-st  and they will demand a home game at their place    and it will make a-st  as good as us withen 20 years   

Yeah history has proven you correct. Good point.

DLUXHOG

USC (calif... time for some payback from the Hogs)
BYU
Oregon
Nebraska
Oklahoma (not Okie Light...)
Miami (again... time for some payback from the Hogs)
Navy
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Hogwild

I would like to do away with the A&M neutral site game.  It might not be popular with everyone, I know based on my location it isn't the same as everyone else, but hear me out.

We play A&M in their home state, and they have won 5 in a row. I pretty sure that wouldn't have happened if it was a home and away. 
Now before you mention TX exposure, it would free us up to do what LSU, Alabama & other SEC schools are doing with neutral site game in Texas.

LSU will play BYU in national televised season opener against BYU, LSU has already defeated Wisconsin, TCU, and Oregon in Texas neutral site games. (Houston or Jerryworld)
LSU will also play Miami in 2018 in Dallas, UT in '19, and Rice in 2020.
Bama opened last season with USC in Jerryworld, Wisconsin the season before, Michigan in 2012. They also rotate games in Atlanta- Va Tech (2013) West Virginia (2014)
Florida is playing Michigan in Dallas to open this season and Auburn is scheduled to play Oregon in Dallas in 2019.

Would love to get into that TX 'neutral site rotation'-  Nebraska, OU, Wisconsin, UL, Miami would be great teams to play in Texas.

Then add quality mid major that would draw fans, Memphis/SMU/Marshall/USM/Houston
If we are going to play a FCS school instead of Nicholls State or a Florida A&M, lets play Missouri State.

factchecker

Quote from: Hogwild on August 05, 2017, 12:16:30 am
I would like to do away with the A&M neutral site game.

I agree.  They are a conference game now so the game should be on campus.

Put Mizzou somewhere else on the schedule. Move the Dallas game to the end of the season. Play Texas in the Broyles-Royal Memorial Game in AT&T stadium.

Then add quality mid major that would draw fans, Memphis/SMU/Marshall/USM/Houston

We should play a home and home with Memphis when games in WMS end.  It will give the fans in east Arkansas an easier trip.

lets play Missouri State.

We have in the past and we currently have them scheduled for the 2021 season.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hawghiggs

Quote from: factchecker on August 05, 2017, 12:24:10 am

Put Mizzou somewhere else on the schedule. Move the Dallas game to the end of the season. Play Texas in the Broyles-Royal Memorial Game in AT&T stadium.

We should play a home and home with Memphis when games in WMS end.  It will give the fans in east Arkansas an easier trip.

We have in the past and we currently have them scheduled for the 2021 season.

Arkansas-Texas  game is a solid idea.

Ben

Quote from: j-mann on August 04, 2017, 09:34:36 pm

You really think playing an instate sun belt team is going to hurt an SEC team? Lol I don't get this backwards mindset a bunch of our fans have. Tennessee hasn't fallen off because of playing Memphis, LSU didn't fall off for playing Tulane, LT ULM etc, Miss St played So Miss the same year they were number 1 late in the season. Even after playing close to an instate FCS team a few years back, Auburn still found their way to a NY6 bowl last season. This mindset baffles me. We are the only fanbase in the country that thinks this.

Besides, what gain do we have playing other sun belt and fcs teams?

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Ben on August 05, 2017, 11:32:06 am
You really think playing an instate sun belt team is going to hurt an SEC team? Lol I don't get this backwards mindset a bunch of our fans have. Tennessee hasn't fallen off because of playing Memphis, LSU didn't fall off for playing Tulane, LT ULM etc, Miss St played So Miss the same year they were number 1 late in the season. Even after playing close to an instate FCS team a few years back, Auburn still found their way to a NY6 bowl last season. This mindset baffles me. We are the only fanbase in the country that thinks this.

Besides, what gain do we have playing other sun belt and fcs teams?

If we ever do play UAPB, UCA and ASU over other SunBelt and FCS teams it should always be in Fayetteville, and it should be rotated between the three of them so there's no confusion about what those games are.

Hogwild

Quote from: factchecker on August 05, 2017, 12:24:10 am

I don't think moving the Dallas game to end of the season, would be wise.  People tend to travel around the holidays (Thanksgiving/Christmas) combine that with a bowl game, adding another road trip might not be doable for many fans.  We have started to see that with the playoffs, teams play their conference championship game, then two trips during the playoffs.

RebelW

HamSammich

Hawaii would be cool for the fans. Well we at least me.

Ben

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on August 05, 2017, 12:37:42 pm
If we ever do play UAPB, UCA and ASU over other SunBelt and FCS teams it should always be in Fayetteville, and it should be rotated between the three of them so there's no confusion about what those games are.
Agreed

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Hogwild on August 05, 2017, 12:44:06 pm
I don't think moving the Dallas game to end of the season, would be wise.  People tend to travel around the holidays (Thanksgiving/Christmas) combine that with a bowl game, adding another road trip might not be doable for many fans.  We have started to see that with the playoffs, teams play their conference championship game, then two trips during the playoffs.

I don't see Texas playing both Oklahoma and Arkansas in Dallas every year. People should just embrace the Mizzou game. It's a border rivalry. It will gain some steam over time. I don't recall the LSU game having much sizzle in the Danny Ford/Gerry DiNardo years.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: redleg on August 03, 2017, 02:11:07 pm
1. Revive our series with Tulsa for an extended series...say ten games.
2. Also revive the Oklahoma St series. That would be a good one!
3. Wisconsin
4. North Carolina
5. Syracuse ... I don't know, it just sounds good.
6. Ohio St.
7. Texas Tech, again
8. Miami Hurricanes ... we owe them!
9. Rutgers ... we owe them too!
10. Louisville ... beat Petrino!

SEC bowl tie ins make it most likely that Arkansas will face a Big XII bowl opponent at Arkansas's current level of success so I wouldn't schedule any of these teams as Arkansas needs the maximum flexibility to meet whoever makes it to the Texas Bowl and Liberty Bowl each year.

If Arkansas steps up its level of play consistently the same will be true of B1G and ACC teams in the better eastern bowls.

The same lack of SEC-PAC bowl tie ins means short of making the playoff Arkansas never plays west coast power 5 teams without home and homes.

I'd try to schedule September home and homes with PAC teams that could be sold as a trip experience for the fans with maybe a few neutral site September games targeted for places like Nashville, St. Louis, or K.C. that might include "grudge" matches like Louisville or Wisconsin.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawghiggs on August 05, 2017, 06:39:05 am
Arkansas-Texas  game is a solid idea.

It is, but it is going to be infrequent. I'd rather see us hook up with a renewal of a regular turnpike series with Oklahoma State.

From 1950-1980 we played them 28 times, mostly in Little Rock with a record of 22-6.

I'd like to see us have an annual match up with them, home and home, in Fayetteville and Stillwater. Easy travel, 3 hrs 15 min each way, they have a respected national program and so do we, helps Texas recruiting (they usually recruit Texas heavily) and it is close enough regionally that both fan bases could travel well and buy tickets. Many don't remember that we played them for something like 37 years in a row, but this is an older annual match up that would make for a great game each year without penalizing our SOS.
Go Hogs Go!

HamSammich

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 05, 2017, 07:12:01 pm
It is, but it is going to be infrequent. I'd rather see us hook up with a renewal of a regular turnpike series with Oklahoma State.

From 1950-1980 we played them 28 times, mostly in Little Rock with a record of 22-6.

I'd like to see us have an annual match up with them, home and home, in Fayetteville and Stillwater. Easy travel, 3 hrs 15 min each way, they have a respected national program and so do we, helps Texas recruiting (they usually recruit Texas heavily) and it is close enough regionally that both fan bases could travel well and buy tickets. Many don't remember that we played them for something like 37 years in a row, but this is an older annual match up that would make for a great game each year without penalizing our SOS.

I know everyone will call me a troll but I don't want any part of ok state. They are about to be damn good and will beat us yearly.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HamSammich on August 05, 2017, 07:19:11 pm
I know everyone will call me a troll but I don't want any part of ok state. They are about to be damn good and will beat us yearly.

Well I got news for you, as much as we hate Texas, they are about to become a whole lot better than they have been in the past and if we lost to them, that would be a whole lot more damaging to the fan base and the team. Okla State ebbs and flows. Texas can be sustainably good with the right coach.

In either case, we probably couldn't get this put together for another 3 or 4 years anyway. Lots can happen in that time.
Go Hogs Go!

HamSammich

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 05, 2017, 07:35:26 pm
Well I got news for you, as much as we hate Texas, they are about to become a whole lot better than they have been in the past and if we lost to them, that would be a whole lot more damaging to the fan base and the team. Okla State ebbs and flows. Texas can be sustainably good with the right coach.

In either case, we probably couldn't get this put together for another 3 or 4 years anyway. Lots can happen in that time.

Man I'm the guy that is ridiculed here for saying Texas is this years national champion. So I definitely get you.