Previous topic - Next topic

Poker_hog

So the coaches poll is out. 

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll

We only play 3 teams in the top 25

1.  Bama
12. LSU
13.  Auburn

Probably the easiest schedule in the last 2 decades.

Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 03, 2017, 12:15:47 pm

1.  Bama
12. LSU
13.  Auburn

Extend that out through "Others receiving votes" and you can add:

28. TCU
31. Texas A&M
39. Miss State

We are at #38.
Go Hogs Go!

Ā 

colbs

I do like the schedule this year but you can't read too much into preseason rankings.

Poker_hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 03, 2017, 12:23:26 pm
Extend that out through "Others receiving votes" and you can add:

28. TCU
31. Texas A&M
38. Miss State

We are at #37.

Yeah those are the swing games that will determine how successful our season is.  You'd hope we would beat most unranked teams most of the time.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 03, 2017, 12:30:57 pm
Yeah those are the swing games that will determine how successful our season is.  You'd hope we would beat most unranked teams most of the time.

Notice how that seems to jive with what Vegas progects, 5.5-6 losses based on the teams they ranked ahead of us.
Go Hogs Go!

Poker_hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 03, 2017, 12:33:45 pm
Notice how that seems to jive with what Vegas progects, 5.5-6 losses based on the teams they ranked ahead of us.

Actually the o/u is 5 losses. 

My point is we typically have 5-6 teams ranked in the preseason top 25 poll on our schedule.  Theres a real opportunity to have a big year this year.   

Wildhog

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 03, 2017, 12:39:56 pm

My point is we typically have 5-6 teams ranked in the preseason top 25 poll on our schedule.  Theres a real opportunity to have a big year this year.   

You're just trying to raise expectations on Bielema so you can bash him when he doesn't meet them.

/s
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on August 03, 2017, 12:42:45 pm
You're just trying to raise expectations on Bielema so you can bash him when he doesn't meet them.

/s

I actually believe 9-3 in regular season is doable.

I've said all along that this year's schedule is more favorable than last years schedule and the Coaches Poll bears that out.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

holeinthewall

First time Arkansas State will have a top 15 team play in Jonesboro.

hobhog

Quote from: GuvHog on August 03, 2017, 12:46:38 pm
I actually believe 9-3 in regular season is doable.

I've said all along that this year's schedule is more favorable than last years schedule and the Coaches Poll bears that out.

Agree. Playing the monsters on the road is a good thing. If we can get a few good breaks we can have an exciting year....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 03, 2017, 12:39:56 pm

I don't disagree, I noticed that too so your point wasn't lost. But it is a pre-season poll and a lot of the media is convinced that the SEC is on a downswing in terms of competition. I think they will find out differently by the time October is over and you'll probably see more SEC West teams in the top 25. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we had 3 SEC teams in the top 10 by that time. We will see how it all plays out.
Go Hogs Go!

go hogues

Unreal that Texas always has a spot in the preaseason polls, irregardless of their previous season's record.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

longpig

Coach's poll, no head coach has a clear perspective of individual football programs from coast to coast ever, let alone in early August.  How could they?
Don't be scared, be smart.

Ā 

Steef

We're expected to lose all three marquee games. Bama, LSU & Auburn.

Only one of them is at our house.

Auburn....is this year's Super Bowl for us, imo.

longpig

Quote from: Steef on August 03, 2017, 02:48:44 pm
We're expected to lose all three marquee games. Bama, LSU & Auburn.

Only one of them is at our house.

Auburn....is this year's Super Bowl for us, imo.

Agree.  And personally, it's the one game I'd rather win more than any.

rljjr

Quote from: longpig on August 03, 2017, 02:51:05 pm

Is it too ambitious to hope we would end up being the Texas, Alabama, and Mississippi state champs and then win the ones we should like SC, Mizzou, and the other non-cons?

jkstock04

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 03, 2017, 12:15:47 pm

1.  Bama
12. LSU
13.  Auburn

What sticks out to me there is the rise of the Big 10. Unbelievable how quick it happened. Big time conference now...while the SEC continues to dwindle.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

longpig

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 03, 2017, 03:07:13 pm
What sticks out to me there is the rise of the Big 10. Unbelievable how quick it happened. Big time conference now...while the SEC continues to dwindle.

dwindle is a strong word

PORKULATOR

Dwindle huh.... You know this is a PRESEASON ranking that'll be all kinds of wrong by November, much less January.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡ā‚¬% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

longpig

Quote from: rljjr on August 03, 2017, 02:55:58 pm
Is it too ambitious to hope we would end up being the Texas, Alabama, and Mississippi state champs and then win the ones we should like SC, Mizzou, and the other non-cons?

yes

moses_007

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jkstock04

Quote from: PORKULATOR on August 03, 2017, 03:19:35 pm
Dwindle huh.... You know this is a PRESEASON ranking that'll be all kinds of wrong by November, much less January.
Look at the way last season was and ended. Like it or not the perception of the SEC isn't what it was. I know that's unpopular, but a common theme around here is whatever isn't popular is almost always correct.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

longpig

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 03, 2017, 03:56:35 pm
Look at the way last season was and ended. Like it or not the perception of the SEC isn't what it was. I know that's unpopular, but a common theme around here is whatever isn't popular is almost always correct.

Last year is one season. Down slightly from owning college football for as long as any 30 year old fan can remember is hardly dwindling.  If the conference has 3 or 4 more years consecutive like last year then it has dwindled.

Ā 

DLUXHOG

Quote from: go hogues on August 03, 2017, 01:32:34 pm
Unreal that Texas always has a spot in the preaseason polls, irregardless of their previous season's record.

Tennessee, Auburn, & LSU are also unreal....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

ricepig

Quote from: longpig on August 03, 2017, 04:02:06 pm
Last year is one season. Down slightly from owning college football for as long as any 30 year old fan can remember is hardly dwindling.  If the conference has 3 or 4 more years consecutive like last year then it has dwindled.

Nope, last year is how it will always be, please start paying attention to the posters that know it all.

TNRazorbacker

This schedule is hard but its the easiest we've had in some time. I can actually see 9 or better wins being possible if things roll our way.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 03, 2017, 12:30:57 pm

We are unranked...

Al Boarland

Quote from: hobhog on August 03, 2017, 01:01:24 pm
Agree. Playing the monsters on the road is a good thing. If we can get a few good breaks we can have an exciting year....

Next season we'll see a post saying it's good we have them at home. The home field advantage will be trumpeted.

Al Boarland

Quote from: longpig on August 03, 2017, 02:51:05 pm

Going to be tough. They return a lot.

jkstock04

Quote from: longpig on August 03, 2017, 04:02:06 pm
I don't disagree, basically mid 2000's til last year. Now we are simply arguing semantics of one word. In my opinion Harbaugh completely changed the image of the Big 10...that and James Franklin turned out to be a hell of a lot better than I ever gave him credit for. It is interesting to me to see the shift and how it happened.

I don't think the SEC is a sun belt type conference or anything like that...I just think the Big 10 and ACC caught up and then some. It's not head and shoulders more dominant any more...it's "dwindled" from those days in my opinion. Still yet, won't surprise me if Bama wins it all this year.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

GoHogs1091

Ohio State #2???  They shouldn't be at #2.

The last time we saw Ohio State play, Urban Meyer was getting schooled by Brent Venables.  That is basically the same Ohio State offense that is returning.

Jim Harbaugh probably has that game circled against Ohio State after what occurred in Columbus last season.

Al Boarland

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 03, 2017, 04:46:11 pm
Ohio State #2???  They shouldn't be at #2.

The last time we saw Ohio State play, Urban Meyer was getting schooled by Brent Venables.  That is basically the same Ohio State offense that is returning.

Jim Harbaugh probably has that game circled against Ohio State after what occurred in Columbus last season.

Having games circled doesn't mean anything. Usually the more talented team wins.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 03, 2017, 04:48:25 pm
Having games circled doesn't mean anything. Usually the more talented team wins.

Harbaugh will probably have plenty of talent, and the game will be in Ann Arbor.

In a one game situation, Harbaugh will have Michigan ready for Ohio State.

bennyl08

I think people are misunderstanding the word "dwindle"

"diminish gradually in size, amount, or strength."

Going from 3 teams being ranked in the top 3, to three teams in the top 10 over 5 years would be by definition dwindling.

SEC went from winning 7 straight national championships to not winning the national championship in 3 of the past 4 seasons with FSU, OSU, and Clemson winning it all in that span.

Doesn't mean that the SEC isn't still the top division, but going from 7 straight to only 1 in the past 4 is by definition dwindled. SEC has been represented in 3 of the past 4 natty's so it isn't down a lot, but it has diminished gradually in strength. Okay, but that's just at the top. Below are the number of SEC teams ranked in the AP top 10,top 25 at the end of the season. ** Added** record vs FBS opponents (vs power 5) in the regular season, record in bowl games (vs power 5)

10: 2,6 n/a (10-6), 5-5 (5-4)
11: 4,5 n/a (9-4)* 6-3** (6-3), *includes UGA-Boise st, ** 6-2 against non-SEC, 3rd loss is LSU losing to bama
12: 5,7 n/a (8-6), 6-3 (6-3)
13: 4,7 n/a (11-7), 7-3 (5-3)
14: 3,7 n/a (5-6), 7-5 (6-5)
15: 2,5 34-9 (7-5), 9-2 (8-2) * 1 FCS loss
16: 1,5 29-12 (6-9), 6-7 (5-6)

In the top 10 it dwindles from 5 to 4 to 3, 2, and then just one team in the final top 10 last year. Textbook definition of dwindle. Not a huge decline. Doesn't mean SEC isn't still the top, but a small, gradual decrease. 3 years with literally half the conference ranked in the top 25 at the end of the season and now back to back years with just over a third. Still good, but dwindled from what it was.

Further, 2016 saw the first year with the SEC having a losing bowl record since at least 2010 and the only time to have a losing record to power conference members in the regular season along with a losing bowl record (not to mention the worst record against p5 opponents since 2010).

The SEC has unequivocally dwindled. The numbers don't lie. The prestige of the SEC has taken a hit.

Now, the talent in the SEC remains at the top with the conference still putting in 50+ draft picks each of the last two years. The last time the SEC didn't set the pace was in 2006 when they were edged out by the Big 10 which used to be the dominant conference to the point where an undefeated Auburn team didn't do enough to go the natty due to a lack of prestige for the SEC.

The SEC is in the process of losing it's benefit of the doubt. It isn't there yet. However, that is the trend.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

GoHogs1091

The Alabama/Florida State game should be a good game.

Fisher can coach (he is also a very good offensive play caller), and if anyone knows how to attack a Nick Saban defense it will be Fisher.  Fisher probably knows more about Saban's defense other than Belichick, Smart, and Muschamp.

bennyl08

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 03, 2017, 04:41:14 pm
Next season we'll see a post saying it's good we have them at home. The home field advantage will be trumpeted.

The benefits of road vs home becomes relative.

This year, I don't expect to beat Bama so being on the road is better. Home field advantage won't swing the game one direction or another so might as well have home games where that can be the difference. Getting MSU, Auburn, and Missouri at home could very well be the difference between 3 wins or 3 losses. MSU on the road is always a very tough game but one we win more often than not at home.

If we are in a position where the middle of the pack to bottom SEC teams are going to be just as easily a victory at home as they are on the road and we are in a position to take down the biggest teams in the conference, then yes, this schedule for 2017 would set up unfavorably. However, when we are striving for 5-3 in conference play this year, the schedule as it currently sits sets up favorably for us.

Bama at home is always more favorable than Bama on the road. That is true this season, it will be true next season. Bama on the road this year is a negative for this year's schedule. No ifs ands or buts about it. However, it is a very small negative because the outcome is likely the same regardless. On a scale from -10 to +10, Bama on the road is a -0.5 while MSU at home is a +7 type of deal. Given that we can't host all of our games at home, Bama on the road this year effectively becomes a positive due to allowing games that do swing a lot based on home or away to swing in our favor by being home. However, directly, it is a negative.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ZERO

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 03, 2017, 04:46:11 pm
The last time we saw Ohio State play, Urban Meyer was getting schooled by Brent Venables.

It's been too long. Glad to see you're back in top form  :D
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Coaching. Look at the coaches in the SEC when it was dominant and then look now. Look at BIG 10 coaches then and now. You will see a pattern

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: rljjr on August 03, 2017, 02:55:58 pm

Hell no.!! Just don't freak out if it doesn't happen, but I know this place would blow up if it did.!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.