Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why we Win, Why we Lose 2017

Started by bennyl08, August 07, 2017, 07:54:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

FAMU: New Mexico State would likely beat this team so won't spend too much time on why we win.

Why we lose: Somebody poisons our team's breakfast that day, and even then, the loss isn't a sure bet. Though in seriousness, a loss would mean that our team's struggles finishing games has only festered into an uncontrollable infection this season. Austin gets injured in the first quarter and Enos gets shown to be a fraud OC who lucked into good talent when he came here. Virtually impossible that we lose.

TCU: Why we win: Austin was the better quarterback last season and looks to be an even better qb this season with questions about Trill's maturity. The hogs return 4/5ths of our starting OL, we return 6 4* receivers including the #1 JUCO WR in the country and the top producing slot receiver in Cornelius. Even with Cornelius out, guys likes Jones, Nance, and Jackson have been showing up. Whaley returns for what should be easily a 1k yard season with David, Maleek, and apparently Chase each capable of thousand yard seasons in their own rights but will likely eat into each other's carries to prevent that. Our defense includes elite players at each level of our defense (Sosa, Scoota, Pulley) along with a host of other talented players that are best suited for the 3-4. Each of those elite players were freshmen last year so they should be much improved this year. Enough to give our defense a good enough boost to stop their offense more than they stop ours. Even if both teams improve the same amount, we won at their place, and this year, the game is at ours.

Why we lose: Kurt Anderson isn't cut out for the job and despite the lack of production and losses on the DL for TCU, Allen can barely get the snap before he is under pressure again. Our receivers look good vs the cupcake, but struggle to get open and when they do, struggle to hold on to the ball. While we have some elite talent on defense, the conversion to the 3-4 goes very poorly. We make some good plays, but player's find the scheme too complicated and miss assignments on defense and are out of position. Austin is good enough to keep the score respectable, but that's about it.

aTm: Why we win: Short answer, Garrett isn't there any more. While the aggies still have Chavis as their DC, without the elite talent he had at LSU and without Garrett and the rest of the DL, their defense crashes down. On offense, they lose their QB and some of their OL. The past 4 years, this game has been very close, being within a single possession into the fourth quarter with half of the games going into OT. With modest improvement for us on defense and the expected and nothing more improvement on offense along with the losses at DL and QB for the aggies, we fall on the correct side of the coin flip this year.

Why we lose: Aggies went from having Von Miller on defense, to Demontre Moore, to Myles Garrett. Their defense hasn't been very good at all outside of those elite pass rushers, but they've been disruptive enough on the DL that their defense still works. They'll have somebody else they've recruited fill in that role as they've done in the past. On offense, Trevor Knight wasn't exactly good, but we made him look good. They still have a talented group of receivers and RB's who can shred our defense if we haven't improved stopping the run.

NMST: Basically see FAMU. Should be a more difficult game for us in a similar way that playing a HS team would be tougher than a junior high, but not so much that the outcome of this game should be in doubt.

Why we lose: They end up having a heisman candidate qb, going 12-0 in a surprise season.

@SC: Why we win: It's South Carolina. Their offense last year made our defense look great in comparison. Remember how bad Florida's offense was? SC was even worse. They could improve by 100 spots in the rankings and still not be in the top 15 of scoring and barely rank 15th in total offense. Okay, their offense was putrid. They return a lot from that offense and should be much improved, but a huge improvement for their offense, and I mean a huge improvement, OC of the year would put their offense up to where our defense was last year. So, how about their defense? Couldn't have been too bad, right? Their defense was about where ours was in 2015. Completely outside the top 50. Considering what our offense did Bama's #2 defense, I'm not too worried about their defense. Our achilles heel has been the opposing offense and theirs is not a threat.

Why we lose: It is officially our first true road game despite playing in LR and Arlington before this. Our receivers may have a hard time hearing audible calls, leading to miscommunication and interceptions. Their defense does enough to slow our run game down that we are only able to score 27 points on them. On the other side of the ball, their offense performs quite possibly the largest turnaround in the history of sports and definitely the largest in the history of college football. It isn't helped by our defense being in the first game where they don't have crowd noise support.

@Bama: Why we win: Bama doesn't have a history of being able to rush the passer. They had two high draft picks that accounted for virtually all of their pass rush. Despite their overall defensive prowess, not having a track record of players who can rush the passer means I do not give them the benefit of the doubt on being able to re-load when it comes to sacks. Austin put up 400 yards in the air agains them with one of the worse pass blocking OL's in the conference against the best pass pressure team in the country in terms of total sacks (a measly third in the country in sacks per game...). Imagine what Austin will be able to do without Bama being able to get consistent pressure without those two pass rushers and without having 3 brand new OL players trying to protect him. While running the ball won't be easy, Austin will open up the defense enough for Whaley and Co to find enough success to keep their defense honest. On the other side of the ball, we are bringing a defense they haven't seen from us before. With Ridley, their RB group, and the running threat from their qb, their offense will move the ball and score points. However, not enough to keep up with Allen.

Why we lose: It's Bama. Kids are reaching puberty that have never been alive since we last beat them. They may not be able to generate as much of a pass rush, but their offense will take advantage of us still trying to learn a new defense and their defense will stop our running game leaving Austin to win the game by himself. He throws for 400+ again, but to no avail.

Auburn: Why we win: This game is generally a toss up game. We are 2-3 the past 5 years, 3-3 the past 6, 4-4 the past 8, and 5-5 the past 10 years. Last year was an anomalously good game for them, anomalously bad game for us, and an outlier in our series. This year, our offense doesn't give up, helped out by the only players that hurt us last year were on their DL and are gone. We score points on them. On the flip side, Stidham turns out to be like Jeremy Johnson or is fortuitously for us unable to play in our game and they become reliant yet again on their run game. While they accumulate yards, our defense has improved enough to prevent the big plays so they struggle to sustain drives and turn fg's into td's.

Why we lose: We are 1-3 against them with Gus as the HC with 2 of the games being pretty ugly against us. Last year isn't such a fluke after all and Stidham lives up to the hype with Auburn challenging Bama for the west.

@Ole Miss: OM is in a state of chaos right now. This season could be their John L (though they did go 0-16 for a stretch in SEC play without being in coaching turmoil...). Even if they play a respectable season, we've had their number recently. Our offense should be near the tops of the SEC, our defense will have found it's legs by this point in the season. They've lost the elite players from their early classes and are back to just being regular ole miss again.

Why we lose: A cornered animal can be the most dangerous. Further, this is set up perfectly to be a trap game for us. This will be the fourth SEC game in a row we have to play. The game is at their place. Their quarterback could be just good enough to give us troubles. If they don't make mistakes and we get a bit sloppy at the end of this SEC stretch, they could definitely upset us. They could also have revenge on their minds, especially with the Houston Nutt-Arkansas connection.

Coastal Carlina: An FCS school transitioning up to the FBS. Should easily win, name the score type of scenario.

Why we lose: Similar to above rentawin arguments but with more likelihood of injuries. Anderson hasn't done his job, Allen has been injured. Storey/Kelley aren't mentally mature enough and some key personnel losses on defense won't let us stop anybody, etc...

@LSU: Why we win: LSU game is always a coin flip. We could be winless and them undefeated and I still wouldn't bet on them winning and vice versa. By this point in the season, we should be firing on all the cylinders we have. On offense, that should be pretty good and hopefully the defense is improved as well. We demoralize their defense with a well balanced attack on offense than keeps them off balance and our secondary and pass rush neutralize their passing game while our front 7 still allows their RB's some yards, but at least keeps them mortal and not like gods. They lose a solid amount on the OL and throughout their defense which they normally just reload but with the turmoil makes it difficult. Orgeron proves he is who we thought he was.

Why we lose: They don't have much of a qb, but Guice has a strong argument for best RB in the conference if not country and could tear us apart. While their OL and QB struggle, their talented receivers are good enough to bail the passing game out with some key grabs. Making diving, shoe lace catches or catching the ball 5 feet out of bounds but with their toe just barely tapping type stuff. On defense, we've seen them lose a lot before and they are still able to come back strong. Orgeron may not be a long term answer, but he has the team motivated this year.

Miss St: Why we win: MSU has some big losses in the receiving department and their OL is a question mark. They too are breaking in a new DC after being terrible on defense last year. Last season, Fitzgerald was essentially the only thing keeping them in games. Can he stay uninjured for a second season rushing that often? If he can, I like our odds better this year of limiting his rushing. Don't let him beat you with his legs and the whole team will lose. Plus, the game is in our place.

Why we lose: Fitzgerald can't be stopped. They may not have as much talent as our roster, but Fitzgerald turns into a dual threat quarterback under Mullen and carries the team a la Newton 2010. Without a Fairley on defense, they don't go undefeated but it is still enough to beat us.

Missouri: Why we win: There hasn't been a single game out there that we were not good enough to win. The games we have have come with senior leadership at qb which we have this year. With a leaner OL this year, their undersized DL players won't be as effective. The game is in our house which has turned out to make a difference as well.

Why we lose: They didn't have a defense last year and don't appear to have much of one this coming season, but they had arguably the top offense in the SEC last year and didn't lose anybody important from that offense, so it should be even more potent this year. Opponent's offense is our team's achilles heal so this could turn into a barn burner where we just can't keep up, especially being a bit more worn down from the SEC W opponents while they have a lighter schedule, not to mention we haven't had a by since the third week of the season.

Overall, I think we go 9-3.

Florida A&M, CCU, NMST, SC, OM, MSU, and TCU should all be wins.

Bama is the only game I think we will outright lose .

Aggies, LSU, Auburn, and Mizzou could all be toss ups. If we win 2 of those and lose 2, that puts us right at 9-3 with a pretty good bowl game to give us a chance at 10 wins.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Bacons Rebellion

I would say the "Why we lose" on TCU and A&M is that we are going to a newdefense with only one outing against a weak FCS team. They might both score 40+. I hope now but we don't know.

zane

Dang it Benny!!

I was doing my best to not drink the koolaid this year but this post has me raising the glass to my lips
RIP LSUfan

Al Boarland

Stop reading after I read that we have elite talent on D, but TAMU doesn't.

King Kong

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 08, 2017, 06:44:26 am
I would say the "Why we lose" on TCU and A&M is that we are going to a newdefense with only one outing against a weak FCS team. They might both score 40+. I hope now but we don't know.

TCU could score 40 return everyone of importantance on offense.

No way A&M could score 40 unless they have multiple non offensive touchdowns

bennyl08

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 08, 2017, 06:44:26 am

I tried not to repeat similar arguments too often. That our new defensive scheme either doesn't work or isn't fully mature this season should be read as a running theme throughout. Similarly with the possibility of the OL not improving at all, the WR's struggling, etc...
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 08, 2017, 07:58:21 am

Then you might want to re-read what I actually wrote instead of what you think I wrote. However, knowing your post history here, on second thought, I'm quite okay with you not knowing what I said. However, since you didn't read it all, I kindly ask that you refrain from posting in this thread in the future given that you don't know what was actually said.

Al Boarland

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 08, 2017, 12:46:08 pm
Then you might want to re-read what I actually wrote instead of what you think I wrote. However, knowing your post history here, on second thought, I'm quite okay with you not knowing what I said. However, since you didn't read it all, I kindly ask that you refrain from posting in this thread in the future given that you don't know what was actually said.

I suppose you can ask all you want.

"Our defense includes elite players at each level of our defense (Sosa, Scoota, Pulley) along with a host of other talented players that are best suited for the 3-4."

"While the aggies still have Chavis as their DC, without the elite talent he had at LSU and without Garrett and the rest of the DL,"

Does that not say Chavis had elite talent at LSU, but doesn't at TAMU? TAMU has players just as talented as a Sosa, Scoota and certainly a Pulley. Maybe you meant quality depth that Chavis had at LSU. That would make sense. However, they are every bit as talented as this Hog team. Probably more.

bennyl08

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 08, 2017, 12:55:17 pm
I suppose you can ask all you want.

"Our defense includes elite players at each level of our defense (Sosa, Scoota, Pulley) along with a host of other talented players that are best suited for the 3-4."

"While the aggies still have Chavis as their DC, without the elite talent he had at LSU and without Garrett and the rest of the DL,"

Does that not say Chavis had elite talent at LSU, but doesn't at TAMU? TAMU has players just as talented as a Sosa, Scoota and certainly a Pulley. Maybe you meant quality depth that Chavis had at LSU. That would make sense. However, they are every bit as talented as this Hog team. Probably more.

If you keep reading, you will get your answer. Further, there's a difference between having elite players and elite talent. Those words were chosen carefully and do not mean the same thing.

Further, take a guess at who has had more defensive players drafted over the past 5 years, the hogs or the aggies?

gmarv

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 07, 2017, 07:54:41 pm
FAMU: New Mexico State would likely beat this team so won't spend too much time on why we win.

Why we lose: Somebody poisons our team's breakfast that day, and even then, the loss isn't a sure bet. Though in seriousness, a loss would mean that our team's struggles finishing games has only festered into an uncontrollable infection this season. Austin gets injured in the first quarter and Enos gets shown to be a fraud OC who lucked into good talent when he came here. Virtually impossible that we lose.

TCU: Why we win: Austin was the better quarterback last season and looks to be an even better qb this season with questions about Trill's maturity. The hogs return 4/5ths of our starting OL, we return 6 4* receivers including the #1 JUCO WR in the country and the top producing slot receiver in Cornelius. Even with Cornelius out, guys likes Jones, Nance, and Jackson have been showing up. Whaley returns for what should be easily a 1k yard season with David, Maleek, and apparently Chase each capable of thousand yard seasons in their own rights but will likely eat into each other's carries to prevent that. Our defense includes elite players at each level of our defense (Sosa, Scoota, Pulley) along with a host of other talented players that are best suited for the 3-4. Each of those elite players were freshmen last year so they should be much improved this year. Enough to give our defense a good enough boost to stop their offense more than they stop ours. Even if both teams improve the same amount, we won at their place, and this year, the game is at ours.

Why we lose: Kurt Anderson isn't cut out for the job and despite the lack of production and losses on the DL for TCU, Allen can barely get the snap before he is under pressure again. Our receivers look good vs the cupcake, but struggle to get open and when they do, struggle to hold on to the ball. While we have some elite talent on defense, the conversion to the 3-4 goes very poorly. We make some good plays, but player's find the scheme too complicated and miss assignments on defense and are out of position. Austin is good enough to keep the score respectable, but that's about it.

aTm: Why we win: Short answer, Garrett isn't there any more. While the aggies still have Chavis as their DC, without the elite talent he had at LSU and without Garrett and the rest of the DL, their defense crashes down. On offense, they lose their QB and some of their OL. The past 4 years, this game has been very close, being within a single possession into the fourth quarter with half of the games going into OT. With modest improvement for us on defense and the expected and nothing more improvement on offense along with the losses at DL and QB for the aggies, we fall on the correct side of the coin flip this year.

Why we lose: Aggies went from having Von Miller on defense, to Demontre Moore, to Myles Garrett. Their defense hasn't been very good at all outside of those elite pass rushers, but they've been disruptive enough on the DL that their defense still works. They'll have somebody else they've recruited fill in that role as they've done in the past. On offense, Trevor Knight wasn't exactly good, but we made him look good. They still have a talented group of receivers and RB's who can shred our defense if we haven't improved stopping the run.

NMST: Basically see FAMU. Should be a more difficult game for us in a similar way that playing a HS team would be tougher than a junior high, but not so much that the outcome of this game should be in doubt.

Why we lose: They end up having a heisman candidate qb, going 12-0 in a surprise season.

@SC: Why we win: It's South Carolina. Their offense last year made our defense look great in comparison. Remember how bad Florida's offense was? SC was even worse. They could improve by 100 spots in the rankings and still not be in the top 15 of scoring and barely rank 15th in total offense. Okay, their offense was putrid. They return a lot from that offense and should be much improved, but a huge improvement for their offense, and I mean a huge improvement, OC of the year would put their offense up to where our defense was last year. So, how about their defense? Couldn't have been too bad, right? Their defense was about where ours was in 2015. Completely outside the top 50. Considering what our offense did Bama's #2 defense, I'm not too worried about their defense. Our achilles heel has been the opposing offense and theirs is not a threat.

Why we lose: It is officially our first true road game despite playing in LR and Arlington before this. Our receivers may have a hard time hearing audible calls, leading to miscommunication and interceptions. Their defense does enough to slow our run game down that we are only able to score 27 points on them. On the other side of the ball, their offense performs quite possibly the largest turnaround in the history of sports and definitely the largest in the history of college football. It isn't helped by our defense being in the first game where they don't have crowd noise support.

@Bama: Why we win: Bama doesn't have a history of being able to rush the passer. They had two high draft picks that accounted for virtually all of their pass rush. Despite their overall defensive prowess, not having a track record of players who can rush the passer means I do not give them the benefit of the doubt on being able to re-load when it comes to sacks. Austin put up 400 yards in the air agains them with one of the worse pass blocking OL's in the conference against the best pass pressure team in the country in terms of total sacks (a measly third in the country in sacks per game...). Imagine what Austin will be able to do without Bama being able to get consistent pressure without those two pass rushers and without having 3 brand new OL players trying to protect him. While running the ball won't be easy, Austin will open up the defense enough for Whaley and Co to find enough success to keep their defense honest. On the other side of the ball, we are bringing a defense they haven't seen from us before. With Ridley, their RB group, and the running threat from their qb, their offense will move the ball and score points. However, not enough to keep up with Allen.

Why we lose: It's Bama. Kids are reaching puberty that have never been alive since we last beat them. They may not be able to generate as much of a pass rush, but their offense will take advantage of us still trying to learn a new defense and their defense will stop our running game leaving Austin to win the game by himself. He throws for 400+ again, but to no avail.

Auburn: Why we win: This game is generally a toss up game. We are 2-3 the past 5 years, 3-3 the past 6, 4-4 the past 8, and 5-5 the past 10 years. Last year was an anomalously good game for them, anomalously bad game for us, and an outlier in our series. This year, our offense doesn't give up, helped out by the only players that hurt us last year were on their DL and are gone. We score points on them. On the flip side, Stidham turns out to be like Jeremy Johnson or is fortuitously for us unable to play in our game and they become reliant yet again on their run game. While they accumulate yards, our defense has improved enough to prevent the big plays so they struggle to sustain drives and turn fg's into td's.

Why we lose: We are 1-3 against them with Gus as the HC with 2 of the games being pretty ugly against us. Last year isn't such a fluke after all and Stidham lives up to the hype with Auburn challenging Bama for the west.

@Ole Miss: OM is in a state of chaos right now. This season could be their John L (though they did go 0-16 for a stretch in SEC play without being in coaching turmoil...). Even if they play a respectable season, we've had their number recently. Our offense should be near the tops of the SEC, our defense will have found it's legs by this point in the season. They've lost the elite players from their early classes and are back to just being regular ole miss again.

Why we lose: A cornered animal can be the most dangerous. Further, this is set up perfectly to be a trap game for us. This will be the fourth SEC game in a row we have to play. The game is at their place. Their quarterback could be just good enough to give us troubles. If they don't make mistakes and we get a bit sloppy at the end of this SEC stretch, they could definitely upset us. They could also have revenge on their minds, especially with the Houston Nutt-Arkansas connection.

Coastal Carlina: An FCS school transitioning up to the FBS. Should easily win, name the score type of scenario.

Why we lose: Similar to above rentawin arguments but with more likelihood of injuries. Anderson hasn't done his job, Allen has been injured. Storey/Kelley aren't mentally mature enough and some key personnel losses on defense won't let us stop anybody, etc...

@LSU: Why we win: LSU game is always a coin flip. We could be winless and them undefeated and I still wouldn't bet on them winning and vice versa. By this point in the season, we should be firing on all the cylinders we have. On offense, that should be pretty good and hopefully the defense is improved as well. We demoralize their defense with a well balanced attack on offense than keeps them off balance and our secondary and pass rush neutralize their passing game while our front 7 still allows their RB's some yards, but at least keeps them mortal and not like gods. They lose a solid amount on the OL and throughout their defense which they normally just reload but with the turmoil makes it difficult. Orgeron proves he is who we thought he was.

Why we lose: They don't have much of a qb, but Guice has a strong argument for best RB in the conference if not country and could tear us apart. While their OL and QB struggle, their talented receivers are good enough to bail the passing game out with some key grabs. Making diving, shoe lace catches or catching the ball 5 feet out of bounds but with their toe just barely tapping type stuff. On defense, we've seen them lose a lot before and they are still able to come back strong. Orgeron may not be a long term answer, but he has the team motivated this year.

Miss St: Why we win: MSU has some big losses in the receiving department and their OL is a question mark. They too are breaking in a new DC after being terrible on defense last year. Last season, Fitzgerald was essentially the only thing keeping them in games. Can he stay uninjured for a second season rushing that often? If he can, I like our odds better this year of limiting his rushing. Don't let him beat you with his legs and the whole team will lose. Plus, the game is in our place.

Why we lose: Fitzgerald can't be stopped. They may not have as much talent as our roster, but Fitzgerald turns into a dual threat quarterback under Mullen and carries the team a la Newton 2010. Without a Fairley on defense, they don't go undefeated but it is still enough to beat us.

Missouri: Why we win: There hasn't been a single game out there that we were not good enough to win. The games we have have come with senior leadership at qb which we have this year. With a leaner OL this year, their undersized DL players won't be as effective. The game is in our house which has turned out to make a difference as well.

Why we lose: They didn't have a defense last year and don't appear to have much of one this coming season, but they had arguably the top offense in the SEC last year and didn't lose anybody important from that offense, so it should be even more potent this year. Opponent's offense is our team's achilles heal so this could turn into a barn burner where we just can't keep up, especially being a bit more worn down from the SEC W opponents while they have a lighter schedule, not to mention we haven't had a by since the third week of the season.

Overall, I think we go 9-3.

Florida A&M, CCU, NMST, SC, OM, MSU, and TCU should all be wins.

Bama is the only game I think we will outright lose .

Aggies, LSU, Auburn, and Mizzou could all be toss ups. If we win 2 of those and lose 2, that puts us right at 9-3 with a pretty good bowl game to give us a chance at 10 wins.
One of the reasons I come to hogville is post like this.Our offense could very well be as good as the offense was with Ba at quarterback as a senior without the early season learning curve that team went thru under the new oc Dan Enos.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 08, 2017, 01:12:54 pm
If you keep reading, you will get your answer. Further, there's a difference between having elite players and elite talent. Those words were chosen carefully and do not mean the same thing.

Further, take a guess at who has had more defensive players drafted over the past 5 years, the hogs or the aggies?
Al bases everything on stars.  A player either has them, or he doesn't.  Who cares that Ryan Pulley was one of the top CB's in the SEC last year.  He was only a 3 star.
All Gas, No Brakes!

bennyl08

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 08, 2017, 01:52:07 pm
Al bases everything on stars.  A player either has them, or he doesn't.  Who cares that Ryan Pulley was one of the top CB's in the SEC last year.  He was only a 3 star.

Al bases everything on what can be anti-hog. If you were to tell him that our starting DL is the 5th highest rated DL in the SEC based on 247, that we have 6 4* receivers, and so on and so forth, he'd find a way to criticize each position group all the same.

I will say this on Pulley. Jared Collins tied for the lead in PBU's his sophomore season same as Pulley. He had one fewer PBU than Pulley did this year and had a very respectable 9 last year as well. He not only didn't get drafted in the top 3 rounds, but didn't get drafted at all and is no longer with an NFL team even. Pulley being one of the top CB's in the SEC last year is based on his PBU's, which as Collins was a prime example of, does not guarantee anything.

What Pulley has going for him that Collins didn't is about 20 pounds more weight and is better in the run game and making consistent tackles.

Al Boarland

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 08, 2017, 01:12:54 pm

That's a terrific stat. Irrelevant, but terrific.

ThisTeetsTaken

Going 9-3 after a complete overhaul of a defense in 8 months time would be a feat. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

rzrbk4life

Great post benny! Football can't come soon enough
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Piggfoot

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

bennyl08

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on August 08, 2017, 02:39:01 pm
Going 9-3 after a complete overhaul of a defense in 8 months time would be a feat. 

Would it really? Our defense was historically bad. It can't get any worse than what it was. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Al Boarland

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 08, 2017, 04:19:22 pm
Would it really? Our defense was historically bad. It can't get any worse than what it was.

Offenses are projected to take a step forward this season. The defense could improve and it not show statistically.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 08, 2017, 07:58:21 am
Because it wouldn't fit your constant downgrading of our talent and program. A&M lost their stud defensive players, they are not on empty by any means but their secondary was bad. Our defensive front 7 is better than last year.

MuskogeeHogFan

I'll say this for Auburn, they made a good adjustment during the spring along their OL with the departure of a couple of transfers. They brought in a couple of decently good Senior transfers in Wilson Bell, 6-5, 355, RG, from Florida State and two time FCS AA Casey Dunn, 6-4, 292, C from Jacksonville State. Bell brings with him 18 career starts/25 games of experience and Dunn brings with him 30 career starts and 36 games of experience. If they provide nothing but experienced depth this year it should help Auburn. Both are currently running at the #2 slot at their positions.

I can't stand Auburn, but tip of the hat to them, that was a pretty timely and good recruiting move.

Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

We will have 2 see what happens, if last year you would have told me we blow the last to games like we did I would have said noway!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bennyl08

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 09, 2017, 10:00:03 pm
We will have 2 see what happens, if last year you would have told me we blow the last to games like we did I would have said noway!

If this time last year, you said we'd go 7-5 on the season, I'd have said, 'yep, sounds about right'. Come January, I was disappointed that we didn't win 9 due to those last two losses.