Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SlingTV app and Hog games

Started by cutehog48, August 01, 2017, 12:51:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cutehog48

Has anyone used this app? I am wanting to cut the cord soon.  Can you watch the games live etc?

longpig

I used it last season for the first time.  Will probably resubscribe for this season. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Andrew Hogfan

WPS!!!

ogar_hog

Ive been using sling for about a year now.   I have the $5 sports add on so all the ESPN's.  Haven't missed a game. I do have the basic channels through and internet through my cable company so i get CBS that way.

longpig

Yeh, live games just like with cable/satellite/local digital.  We had most or all the ESPN channels and got a digital antennae for ABC,CBS, NBC.  We had issues with it hanging up for a while but worked it out.  Can't remember exactly what the trick was. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Inhogswetrust

Cut the cord over a year ago. Use Sling and am happy.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

a0ashle

I just made the switch, I pretty much have every sports channel I could want. So far it works great, but we'll see when season hits.

duckman

If you buy Sling see if they are running the Roku promo.  If they are, get it...  The cost of three months service pays for the Roku and if after the season you decide to drop Sling you keep the Roku.

GolfnHog

I've had Roku & Sling for 2 years  and I've not missed a Hogs game. I've added the ESPN app + CBS total access app and it takes care of all my sports needs at a far greater savings than cable/direct TV could ever give me.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

cutehog48

hog of steele

Maybe late to the game but I used it last year and saw all the razorback games. I found the actual sling app to be kind of slow. But having the sling app gets you access to ESPN's online app. That worked great for me.

The only problem I encountered was the difficulty switching between games when the hogs weren't playing.

RazorWest

I tried the sling app thru xbox one on their one week trial and it froze up often and was very slow.  My internet speed is usually around 37 MPS.  I didn't keep sling because of it.  I may work better thru a Roku or some other system.  Also, I probably should have tried it thru Ethernet instead of wifi

pedrothelion

Quote from: RazorWest on August 01, 2017, 03:12:32 pm
I tried the sling app thru xbox one on their one week trial and it froze up often and was very slow.  My internet speed is usually around 37 MPS.  I didn't keep sling because of it.  I may work better thru a Roku or some other system.  Also, I probably should have tried it thru Ethernet instead of wifi
The original sling app on xbox one was beyond awful.  It was updated about a year ago and now runs flawlessly.

hogtrough

If you ever have issues with SlingTV working, you also have access to the WatchESPN app with your subscription.

Peter Porker

Quote from: pedrothelion on August 01, 2017, 03:33:03 pm
The original sling app on xbox one was beyond awful.  It was updated about a year ago and now runs flawlessly.

Yea, i use it on our xbox with no issues.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

RazorWest

Quote from: pedrothelion on August 01, 2017, 03:33:03 pm

good to know

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: duckman on August 01, 2017, 01:38:18 pm
If you buy Sling see if they are running the Roku promo.  If they are, get it...  The cost of three months service pays for the Roku and if after the season you decide to drop Sling you keep the Roku.

Exactly what we did a couple of years ago. Saved money then and saving more every year! Roku with Sling and sports channels added.................the only way to go!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PLHawg

We really like Sling.  One thing is we had to upgrade our router, had serious buffering issues - not on Netflix and other streaming stations, just Sling.  The router upgrade fixed the problem though.

Bassrox

Quote from: hog of steele on August 01, 2017, 02:44:27 pm
I found the actual sling app to be kind of slow. But having the sling app gets you access to ESPN's online app. That worked great for me.
This.

Smalltownhog95

Use it on my ps4. Worth saving $75 bucks a month but have serious buffering issues. I'll either resubscribe or give PlayStation vue a try.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

NuttinItUp

I've used it the last two seasons and it has worked well for me.

Cheaper than cable, and you can cancel when it isn't football season.

The key is just watching games on ESPN3.com or WatchESPN. The Sling subscription gets you access to them.

gangstaback

I used it last september or october for 1 month just to watch the razorbacks.

It is slow, the app is poorly designed ... on roku ... even though I have the fastest hardware and fast internet service.

The nice thing is the variety of angles and games (kind of like the espn3 tool). However, it is hard to switch back and forth ... not at all like watching TV.

I cancelled and watched the rest at a bar instead. Screw the cable companies.

murthage

I have Sling and Roku in bedroom, with $29 antenna (one time expense) that gets most of the local channels in Memphis.
Such as CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, etc.

I also have Sling and Amazon Fire Stick in Living Room, with another $29 free standing antenna.  This gives me access to all the Amazon special movies and series, such as Bosch.  You must have an Amazon Prime account for this configuration... it costs $99 per year and gives you many specials if shopping on Amazon.com.  I prefer the Amazon Fire over Roku.

You MUST have internet service to use the Sling.  I pay $50 per month for Comcast 20mega bite speed.

Finally, I pay $25 per month for Sling which includes the xtra $5 to cover all ESPN sports.

Amityvillehogger

I've had Sling for 2 years. Roku boxes. Does just fine. They seem to have worked out the buffer issues over time. Occasionally it will do it. Long as you have a decent Internet connection, you should be ok.

It does do better to have the $5-$10 sports package instead of using the watch espn app for me. The app tends to buffer ALOT.

Lastly, Sling is about 15-30 seconds slower then live TV/cable. So, texting buddies during games suck now if they have cable. They know what happens first and tend to forget I'm behind time wise....1st world problems, I know.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

jwhite_13

Quote from: GolfnHog on August 01, 2017, 01:47:59 pm
I've had Roku & Sling for 2 years  and I've not missed a Hogs game. I've added the ESPN app + CBS total access app and it takes care of all my sports needs at a far greater savings than cable/direct TV could ever give me.

Can you watch the CBS games on CBS All-Access? We switched to sling this spring after football was over. Getting the CBS games is my only worry?

HamHands

I cut the cord about 3 months ago. I use Directv now. I pay about $30/mth and get all ESPN's, CBS and SEC Network. This will be the first season. We will see how it goes. Didn't know is anybody else uses this streaming app.
One day at a time.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: murthage on August 01, 2017, 09:50:24 pm
I have Sling and Roku in bedroom, with $29 antenna (one time expense) that gets most of the local channels in Memphis.

I also have Sling and Amazon Fire Stick in Living Room, with another $29 free standing antenna.  This gives me access to all the Amazon special movies and series, such as Bosch.  You must have an Amazon Prime account for this configuration... it costs $99 per year and gives you many specials if shopping on Amazon.com.  I prefer the Amazon Fire over Roku.

You MUST have internet service to use the Sling.  I pay $50 per month for Comcast 20mega bite speed.

Finally, I pay $25 per month for Sling which includes the xtra $5 to cover all ESPN sports.
This is the setup I am considering.  The 20 MB internet plan is sufficient to drive all the streaming you need to do?

hogsanity

Quote from: murthage on August 01, 2017, 09:50:24 pm

what, if any dvr options do you have? What about watching programs from Amazon on different tv's/devices at once?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

snoblind

I have Sling and Roku.  Buffering/delay have been issues.  I guess the positive is I can read and watch baseball at the same time, always have time to look up and see the play when also listening to the radio.

PLHawg

In three years conventional cable/satellite tv subscriptions will be all but dead - kind of like wire-line phones.  Should be interesting times for ESPN.

The Great Hambino

I use the internet for all my games. Well, except CBS. I have a safety pin stuck in the cable hole on the back of my tv, and it picks up CBS and several other channels just fine OTA for free.

oldfart

i seldom watch most shows live and rely on dvr. any thoughts how this works with sling, prime etc?

Arky

Quote from: oldfart on August 02, 2017, 05:57:52 pm
i seldom watch most shows live and rely on dvr. any thoughts how this works with sling, prime etc?
me 2

is golf channel included........if not can you buy it...price

PLHawg

Quote from: oldfart on August 02, 2017, 05:57:52 pm

Sling has a watch on demand feature for most shows.

oldfart

hog of steele

Quote from: PLHawg on August 02, 2017, 08:14:38 pm

Sling has a watch on demand feature for most shows.

Sling has also been sending me a bunch of emails about their new "dvr" functionality. I haven't used it yet so IDK how it works. But they are aware that the dvr is what we all want and seem to be working out a fix.

nchogg

Quote from: hogtrough on August 01, 2017, 03:40:05 pm
If you ever have issues with SlingTV working, you also have access to the WatchESPN app with your subscription.
I used it with minimal problems. Sometimes games were show on sky cam on watchespn and would watch on slingtv app. I did not miss any games last year and stopped after our bowl game. This year will use $25 gift cards until our last game.

murthage

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 02, 2017, 12:11:26 pm
This is the setup I am considering.  The 20 MB internet plan is sufficient to drive all the streaming you need to do?

No DVR.  20MB handles all my streaming. Sling only available on one device at a time for the last 3 years, don't know if that has been upgraded.  Lots of other good non- sports channels, such as History, HGTV, Travel, etc. Best thing, is you do NOT have a contract.  You could try it during football, and then cancel if you desire.  Their customer service is extremely competent, and responds immediately.... I have not had any problems at all, just a few setup questions. As stated earlier, I prefer the channel lineup on the Amazon fire stick, I can move it from to room with no affect. They used to have a "Special" price for the Amazon Fire Stick if you agreed to a 90 day Sling contract.  However, they are really inexpensive on Amazon.com.

EulessHog

I still have Uverse U-300 (lots of movie channels), three U-verse boxes and their 24 gb Internet.  My latest bill was $125.80.  Just went through a U-verse social media customer service link via the u-verse forums and got this price for a year.  I am leaning towards other alternatives if I don't get another great deal next year.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogz87

August 03, 2017, 10:14:52 pm #39 Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:32:45 pm by Hogz87
I'll make a plug for Playstation Vue...

I switched to Vue about a year and a half ago and subscribed to their $35/month package.  I get all of the ESPNs and the SEC Network; most of the useful Fox Sports channels, too.  The only downside was, and still is, that you couldn't get any local channels which really sucked during football season because I didn't get the CBS 2:30 game or any of the big games (afternoon and primetime) that aired on ABC.  However, during last season I just started getting CBS out of Kansas City on my channel guide, and then Playstation finally made the WatchESPN app available so I could watch any of the ABC games I wanted.

Also, this past football season, Playstation Vue threw in NFL Redzone as an add-on option.  Redzone may have been the channel I missed the most after cutting the cord, so I was all over it when Vue added it.  I honestly can't remember how much I paid for it, but it was totally worth it.

I don't know how many devices you can watch Sling on at a time, but with PlayStation Vue I think you can have it going on up to three or four.  I know it's at least two.  We recently bought a Roku on which you download the PS Vue app and sign into your account, so now we have PS Vue going on two TVs.  You can get basic Rokus for pretty cheap so it was worth it.

We were paying $150ish a month for Cox internet and cable.  Cutting the cord and going with Playstation Vue knocked our  monthly internet/cable bill down to around $100/month.

Hogz87

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on August 01, 2017, 06:30:29 pm
Use it on my ps4. Worth saving $75 bucks a month but have serious buffering issues. I'll either resubscribe or give PlayStation vue a try.
I almost never have buffering issues with Vue.  We have Cox's 50GB internet so that may have something to do with it, but I can probably count on one hand how many buffering issues I had during a game.  I got through the entire football season last year without missing anything important because of buffering. 

I have learned with Vue, though, that you have to be careful if you're going to post on Hogville (or elsewhere for non-Hog related sporting events) because you do get behind.  There were multiple times I hit refresh in a Hogville game thread last year, saw enough posts to know something big had just happened, then 30-60 seconds later I watched the play unfold on my TV.

MO.Hog

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on August 02, 2017, 12:11:31 am

Lastly, Sling is about 15-30 seconds slower then live TV/cable. So, texting buddies during games suck now if they have cable. They know what happens first and tend to forget I'm behind time wise....1st world problems, I know.

This.  Once all my a$$hole friends found out the 30 second delay I was on there were no more surprises on the big time plays.  My phone would start going off 30 seconds before I even saw it happening.  Even if I didn't look to see what they said I still knew something was coming.  Got to the point I would take my phone back in the other room during games.

hawgrunner

Quote from: cutehog48 on August 01, 2017, 12:51:30 pm
Has anyone used this app? I am wanting to cut the cord soon.  Can you watch the games live etc?

Been going on two years now due living out here in San Diego.
No issues yet.

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: Hogz87 on August 03, 2017, 10:14:52 pm
I'll make a plug for Playstation Vue...

I switched to Vue about a year and a half ago and subscribed to their $35/month package.  I get all of the ESPNs and the SEC Network; most of the useful Fox Sports channels, too.  The only downside was, and still is, that you couldn't get any local channels which really sucked during football season because I didn't get the CBS 2:30 game or any of the big games (afternoon and primetime) that aired on ABC.  However, during last season I just started getting CBS out of Kansas City on my channel guide, and then Playstation finally made the WatchESPN app available so I could watch any of the ABC games I wanted.

Also, this past football season, Playstation Vue threw in NFL Redzone as an add-on option.  Redzone may have been the channel I missed the most after cutting the cord, so I was all over it when Vue added it.  I honestly can't remember how much I paid for it, but it was totally worth it.

I don't know how many devices you can watch Sling on at a time, but with PlayStation Vue I think you can have it going on up to three or four.  I know it's at least two.  We recently bought a Roku on which you download the PS Vue app and sign into your account, so now we have PS Vue going on two TVs.  You can get basic Rokus for pretty cheap so it was worth it.

We were paying $150ish a month for Cox internet and cable.  Cutting the cord and going with Playstation Vue knocked our  monthly internet/cable bill down to around $100/month.

All of this! Sling had too many buffering issues for me.

Earnhardt

Last year while I was in college I had an antenna for local channels and a Roku for ESPN and Fox Sports games. I didn't have Sling or PSVue but I was able to use a cable login from my family to login with the WATCH ESPN App and it worked just fine. If you have a friend or family member who wouldn't mind logging in for you then that is another option to consider.

hogsanity

Quote from: MO.Hog on August 04, 2017, 04:58:53 pm
This.  Once all my a$$hole friends found out the 30 second delay I was on there were no more surprises on the big time plays.  My phone would start going off 30 seconds before I even saw it happening.  Even if I didn't look to see what they said I still knew something was coming.  Got to the point I would take my phone back in the other room during games.

does your phone not have a off button, or a mute feature?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MO.Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 07, 2017, 10:09:16 am
does your phone not have a off button, or a mute feature?

never heard of such a thing

Cmheinley

I know this isn't exactly what you're asking, but if you have a friend or family that pays for dish Network, throw them $20-$40 for their login info for football season and use dish anywhere from any mobile device. I have an intelli stick which is the size of a glorified thumb drive with a Windows OS that connects to an HDMI port and I can watch any big game on any big screen with an HDMI port and a WiFi connection.