Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RB Outlook Early in Fall Camp

Started by Drew Amman, August 01, 2017, 12:26:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Amman

Coach Bielema put Whaley, David Williams and Chase Hayden 1-2-3 respectively at the RB Spot going into Monday's Practice:

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/1-2-punch-in-the-making-whaley-david-williams/779984682

daBoar

Quote from: Drew Amman on August 01, 2017, 12:26:07 am
Coach Bielema put Whaley, David Williams and Chase Hayden 1-2-3 respectively at the RB Spot going into Monday's Practice:

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/1-2-punch-in-the-making-whaley-david-williams/779984682
What's the status of Maleek Williams?

presidenthog

Quote from: daBoar on August 01, 2017, 03:38:45 am
What's the status of Maleek Williams?

Basically Bert likes different style runners. Malik is a power back and doesn't move the needle as much as Hayden as far as being a different style than Whaley who is fairly balanced.

MissippHog

Where does TJ fit in?  We have to find a way to get him the ball.

GuvHog

Quote from: MissippHog on August 01, 2017, 05:28:08 am
Where does TJ fit in?  We have to find a way to get him the ball.

TJ is at Wide Receiver.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

younghog

Hayden already @ #3 is impressive..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

hobhog

Quote from: GuvHog on August 01, 2017, 07:01:13 am
TJ is at Wide Receiver.

Coach B said he was a number 1 receiver right now and still taking snaps at RB. Said he and WR Jones are "explosive" with the ball in hands.

rljjr

I am glad Chase is doing well, and really happy with the RB corps. I think Maleek Williams is going to end up being a name to remember for Hog fans. Right now we seem to have a blessing of talent at the position.

AirWarren

Quote from: younghog on August 01, 2017, 08:32:15 am

GO HOGS

He has the POTENTIAL to be a big time back.

I have to believe Maleek Williams is a close 4th though to the other two. He has that Alex Collins/Darius Guice Build to him.

If he and chase stay, they are going to be a big time one two punch as well. I just want to see coach B get that Wisconsin ball going here with good defense and punishing offense. I think if he can, we will be fun to watch.

HamSammich

Wonder how feasible it would be to redshirt Williams. Probably not very.

hawginbigd1

GO HOGS
Wondering if we aren't just getting coach spin on this one? I was impressed with Maleek in the spring he has to be ahead of Hayden in the playbook and protections. He is awfully light also. I am thinking this is motivation for Williams.

AirWarren

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 01, 2017, 06:09:04 pm
Wondering if we aren't just getting coach spin on this one? I was impressed with Maleek in the spring he has to be ahead of Hayden in the playbook and protections. He is awfully light also. I am thinking this is motivation for Williams.

Hayden looks like he needs to gain some weight too.

Williams looks SEC ready.

GoHogzzGo

Kept saying Chase would challenge. Don't forgot his dad played NFL. Kid is an absolute athlete. Very glad we got him and Maleek in this class. Both can play, and both will be featured heavily in coming years.  Chase just adds a burst back instead of bruiser, Beilema said as much.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

carolinahogger

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on August 01, 2017, 02:28:24 pm
Hayden, Jones and Hammonds in the game at the same time =  LETHAL and NOT FAIR    ;D

I'm sure Saban is staying awake late worrying about that.

MuskogeeHogFan

GO HOGS

It isn't over. I'll be shocked if Maleek Williams isn't in the mix a lot. The kid came in, mastered the offense AND being able to block for runs and pass pro and has a burst and runs with power. You R/S a kid like that who had worked that hard? If everything the staff has said about him is true, I don't see how this happens.

Now maybe David Williams is just that good, he does after all have several years of experience in the SEC and maybe, just maybe, the S. Carolina offensive scheme didn't fit his talents as well as ours does? I guess we will see, but obviously he has impressed in his short time here.

But this is a good problem to have and not everyone has this kind of "good" problem. Devwah knows what he is doing and is going to be (barring injury) our next 1,000+ yard RB. Maybe Whaley gets 1200 yds David Williams can get another 900 yds? Chase and Malleek another 300 each? That's 2700 yards rushing. That would be the second most since Bielema has been here and that doesn't include anything that anyone else (including T.J. Hammonds) might add.

Makes you wonder what might have been if not for RWIII's injury. Still, we are probably in pretty good shape at RB.

Still, we are going to need a downfield passing game to keep defenses from creeping up and putting 8 in the box to stop the run and the short passing game.
Go Hogs Go!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: carolinahogger on August 01, 2017, 08:05:10 pm
Saban stays awake late every night worrying about everything. Because that bastage wants to WIN

onebadrubi

I think you RS one of the two new backs just to possibly have a 5th year guy.  But bielema has said more than once you don't RS a guy who won't be here a 5th year anyways. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 01, 2017, 08:12:18 pm
Saban stays awake late every night worrying about everything. Because that bastage wants to WIN

This is true. I'll bet Saban is in the office at 5 a.m. every morning once practice starts in August until they get through the CFBP's.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

August 01, 2017, 08:39:23 pm #18 Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:05:07 pm by bphi11ips
If anyone redshirts it will be because no one gets injured.  So that would be a good thing.  All freshman are redshirts until they aren't. 

Maleek Williams and Chase Hayden are Thunder and Lightening.  So that's a good thing. 

Barry Sanders was 5'8" and 200.  Emmitt Smith was 5'9" and 210. Together they rushed for almost 35,000 yards and 263 TDs in the NFL.  Chase Hayden has Sanders-type ability.  His dad rushed for over 2000 yards at Tennessee.  He had offers from Tennessee, Florida and Michigan.  Oklahoma State appealed to him because of Sanders.  Sanders won the Heisman at OSU in 1988 after rushing for 2,850 yards and 42 TDs. In one year.  But Hayden chose Arkansas and never wavered.  The guy is special, and that is taking nothing away from Maleek Williams.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

AirWarren

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 01, 2017, 08:39:23 pm
If anyone redshirts it will be because no one gets injured.  So that would be a good thing.  All freshman are redshirts until they aren't. 

Maleek Williams and Chase Hayden are Thunder and Lightening.  So that's a good thing. 

Barry Sanders was 5'8" and 200.  Emmitt Smith was 5'9" and 210. Together they rushed for almost 35,000 yards and 263 TDs in the NFL.  Chase Hayden has Sanders-type ability.  His dad rushed for over 2000 yards at Tennessee.  He had offers from Tennessee, Florida and Michigan.  Oklahoma State appealed to him because of Sanders.  Sanders won the Heisman at OSU in 1988 after rushing for 2,850 yards and 42 TDs. In one year.  But Hayden chose Arkansas and never wavered.  The guy is special, and that is taking nothing away from Maleek Williams.

Ready to see him get the ball.

Arkansas Fan

Whaley gets his 1,000 plus yards.

David Williams acts like Kody Walker and comes in on pass blocking plays, gets some carries here and there.

Hayden or Maleek become the real second guy and get the second most rushing yards.

I said it.

TazorTusk

As I said after looking at his high school tapes, Houdini Hayden will be an appropriate name for him. 

It won't just be Saban losing sleep. He will have half of the SEC opposing DB's on anti-anxiety medications before it is over.

I can't wait for the show to begin!!!

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: TazorTusk on August 01, 2017, 10:38:11 pm
As I said after looking at his high school tapes, Houdini Hayden will be an appropriate name for him. 

It won't just be Saban losing sleep. He will have half of the SEC opposing DB's on anti-anxiety medications before it is over.

I can't wait for the show to begin!!!
Quote from: Arkansas Fan on August 01, 2017, 10:04:36 pm

David Williams acts like Kody Walker and comes in on pass blocking plays, gets some carries here and there.

Hayden or Maleek become the real second guy and get the second most rushing yards.

I said it.

Hope yall remember this enthusiasm if we are 3-2 going into the Bama game.........

Hawgphat

August 01, 2017, 11:33:51 pm #23 Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:45:14 pm by Hawgphat
This comment is NOT intended as a negative observation.  In very recent seasons, we have had some VERY good RBs who had trouble getting beyond the line of scrimmage and getting a decent shot at building a head of steam.  All too often, opposing defensive personnel were into our backfield BEFORE our RBs reached the line of scrimmage, choking off any chance of gaining decent yardage on the ground.  I TRULY hope that such is not the case on this upcoming go-around, and that our running attack can mange to balance out the passing game without incurring redundant 3rd and long situations.  AA is a prolific passer, and 3400 yards for a season is not to be sneezed at; - - but I SURE would love to see a productive ground game -  exhibiting an attitude -  in evidence from the players on OUR side of the ball this year.  It naturally follows that our RBs are going to experience an extremely hard time accomplishing great results unless some hefty teammates lined up in front of them are able to perform THEIR duties a bit more efficiently, - - and with a bit more staying power -  into the latter moments of the games.

My fingers AND my toes are crossed in this earnest hope.

AirWarren

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on August 01, 2017, 11:07:25 pm
Hope yall remember this enthusiasm if we are 3-2 going into the Bama game.........

Haha. And no gameday talk.

MuskogeeHogFan

And I hope that you are here to join us in enthusiastic support of the Hogs whether they are 3-2 or 5-0 going into the Alabama game.
Go Hogs Go!

JayBell

I think Whaley easily surpasses 1,000 yards and Williams gets 500+.  You look at Williams' body of work at South Carolina and it's kind of a head scratcher.  It looks like he just wasn't what the coaches wanted over there.  He's faster than Kody Walker, so he has more potential in the open field and the coaches will trust him with more carries.  As an older player with a more mature body, he can take some of the bruising.

JayBell

I said a long time ago I thought Hayden and Maleek were the best two running backs Arkansas signed in one class since McFadden and Felix.  They're that good and dynamic and, maybe most importantly, different.  They have contrasting styles, which may help Hayden more in their first year, but it will benefit both while they're on the hill.

So the injuries and transfers definitely hurt Arkansas' depth outlook in the spring, but I felt then and still feel now like Arkansas will be just fine at RB.  Hayden can pick up some carries if necessary and Williams went through all of spring drills.  Then Hammonds is there in case of emergency.

One thing is for certain, Whaley, Hayden and Williams are set up to be one hell of a three-headed monster in 2018.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Hawgphat on August 01, 2017, 11:33:51 pm
This comment is NOT intended as a negative observation.  In very recent seasons, we have had some VERY good RBs who had trouble getting beyond the line of scrimmage and getting a decent shot at building a head of steam.  All too often, opposing defensive personnel were into our backfield BEFORE our RBs reached the line of scrimmage, choking off any chance of gaining decent yardage on the ground.  I TRULY hope that such is not the case on this upcoming go-around, and that our running attack can mange to balance out the passing game without incurring redundant 3rd and long situations.  AA is a prolific passer, and 3400 yards for a season is not to be sneezed at; - - but I SURE would love to see a productive ground game -  exhibiting an attitude -  in evidence from the players on OUR side of the ball this year.  It naturally follows that our RBs are going to experience an extremely hard time accomplishing great results unless some hefty teammates lined up in front of them are able to perform THEIR duties a bit more efficiently, - - and with a bit more staying power -  into the latter moments of the games.

My fingers AND my toes are crossed in this earnest hope.

Seasons or season?  We were average last year but have been pretty decent the previous two years.

HamSammich

Quote from: JayBell on August 02, 2017, 09:53:52 am
I think Whaley easily surpasses 1,000 yards and Williams gets 500+.  You look at Williams' body of work at South Carolina and it's kind of a head scratcher. 

South Carolina fans say he couldn't find a hole. I suspect he will thrive as a hog because of South Carolina's blocking scheme  is different than ours. SC doesn't do a ton of pulling and is a pure zone block scheme where holes open op much later after the snap. Whereas we will pull and mix in both sorts of blocking schemes. If you watch hog games we make holes early that a tractor can drive through.

Williams was probably the fastest Razorback (or one of the three) the first day he walked on campus unless he has slowed in his old age. I'd put money that he goes over 1000 this year (depending on the odds).

AugustaHog

It will be interesting to see with D. Williams.  SC hasn't had much of an OL during his time there.  As was noted, the scheme is much different than ours as well.  He will do fine if the OL is better.  Simple as that.  If our OL is even just solid, I expect Whaley to have a hell of a year and the guys behind him adding nice numbers to the total.  If we have bust after bust in the blocking scheme, it's going to look like last year on replay where we never really established a consistent run-game against good D's.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HamSammich on August 02, 2017, 11:08:53 am
South Carolina fans say he couldn't find a hole. I suspect he will thrive as a hog because of South Carolina's blocking scheme  is different than ours. SC doesn't do a ton of pulling and is a pure zone block scheme where holes open op much later after the snap. Whereas we will pull and mix in both sorts of blocking schemes. If you watch hog games we make holes early that a tractor can drive through.

Williams was probably the fastest Razorback (or one of the three) the first day he walked on campus unless he has slowed in his old age. I'd put money that he goes over 1000 this year (depending on the odds).

Considering the fact that S. Carolina had the worst O-Line in the SEC last year (123rd nationally in TFLA and 118th in Sacks Allowed) I'm surprised that anyone could find a hole very often. But we will see how he does here. Obviously he has made a very good impression so far.
Go Hogs Go!

Paul

I said it.
. This is what I think too.  I think this is the year we establish a dominant run game & surpass our numbers of the last 2 yrs. and no I haven't been drinking...yet

bphi11ips

I said it.

You might be right, but David Williams is a much different back than Kody Walker.

You had to love Kody Walker.  He faced a lot of adversity, never quit, and was a great Razorback.  But he is 4 tenths of a second slower than David Williams.  You can compare here:

Kody Walker
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119936&draftyear=2017&genpos=RB

David Williams
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=128458&draftyear=2018&genpos=RB

Don't be surprised if David Williams shows his high 4-star status this year in an offensive scheme designed for running backs just like him. 

GuvHog

Quote from: AugustaHog on August 02, 2017, 11:18:56 am
It will be interesting to see with D. Williams.  SC hasn't had much of an OL during his time there.  As was noted, the scheme is much different than ours as well.  He will do fine if the OL is better.  Simple as that.  If our OL is even just solid, I expect Whaley to have a hell of a year and the guys behind him adding nice numbers to the total.  If we have bust after bust in the blocking scheme, it's going to look like last year on replay where we never really established a consistent run-game against good D's.

David Williams got caught up in a coaching change at South Carolina, he was recruited heavily and signed by Spurrier but never fit in what Muschamp wanted to do.

GuvHog

I said it.

You are seriously underestimating David Williams.

Kody Walker was far more of a Fullback than he was a Running Back. He was pure power with very little speed.

David Williams is much faster and quicker than Kody Walker.

Hawgphat

Quote from: hawgfan4life on August 02, 2017, 10:55:50 am
Seasons or season?  We were average last year but have been pretty decent the previous two years.

Again, I'm not intentionally nitpicking a perceived recent overall OL underachievement  in order to be argumentative, but I have noted multiple season offensive line deficiencies in several recent seasons - particularly in the red zone - wherein our ground game was stalemated and rendered largely impotent, forcing our guys to rely heavily upon the passing game to a significantly greater extent than was desired or anticipated.  This scenario was showcased in greater clarity by the pitched battles with the upper crust, premium quality powers.

I'm not down on the Hogs, by any means; I'm a staunch, hardcore fan, -  whether they win, or whether they lose.  But over the course of the last couple of seasons, in particular, it has appeared to me that our running game has been unable to hit on all cylinders, and has stalled all too often - due to swift, rabid infiltration by opposing defenses, dictating an inordinately heavy reliance upon the passing game.

AugustaHog

Quote from: Hawgphat on August 02, 2017, 01:23:55 pm
Again, I'm not intentionally nitpicking a perceived recent overall OL underachievement  in order to be argumentative, but I have noted multiple season offensive line deficiencies in several recent seasons - particularly in the red zone - wherein our ground game was stalemated and rendered largely impotent, forcing our guys to rely heavily upon the passing game to a significantly greater extent than was desired or anticipated.  This scenario was showcased in greater clarity by the pitched battles with the upper crust, premium quality powers.

I'm not down on the Hogs, by any means; I'm a staunch, hardcore fan, -  whether they win, or whether they lose.  But over the course of the last couple of seasons, in particular, it has appeared to me that our running game has been unable to hit on all cylinders, and has stalled all too often - due to swift, rabid infiltration by opposing defenses, dictating an inordinately heavy reliance upon the passing game.
I agree with you on your issues with the OL.  There have been times under CBB where we look like road-graders (not in '16 mind you), but we have had some games against good fronts where we were completely shut down in the run game.  We need to get to the point where we can run or pass whenever we want to.  Our QBs have had to shoulder too much of the load and convert some really long 3rd downs to even get us to the records we have had.  When we get the protection and run-blocking locked in, our offense will take the next step, and it's already been very good.

GuvHog

Quote from: AP85 on August 01, 2017, 09:04:56 am
He has the POTENTIAL to be a big time back.

I have to believe Maleek Williams is a close 4th though to the other two. He has that Alex Collins/Darius Guice Build to him.

If he and chase stay, they are going to be a big time one two punch as well. I just want to see coach B get that Wisconsin ball going here with good defense and punishing offense. I think if he can, we will be fun to watch.

Judging by the fact that the Hogs have evolved from a run first power offense to a more balanced offence in the last 4 years, I'd say Bielema has figured out that what works at Wisconsin and in the Big 10 doesn't work in the SEC.

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on August 02, 2017, 01:33:57 pm
Judging by the fact that the Hogs have evolved from a run first power offense to a more balanced offence in the last 4 years, I'd say Bielema has figured out that what works at Wisconsin and in the Big 10 doesn't work in the SEC.

If you look at rushing and passing stats at Wisconsin during Bielema's tenure there they look a lot like they do at Arkansas. He has always valued balance. Balance works everywhere.

Passing yards are up the past two years because of Brandon and Austin Allen, Hunter Henry, Jeremy Sprinkle, and a great group of wide receivers. Rushing yards were down last year because of an inexperienced o-line.

Offense evolves over time, and coaches tailor formations and play calling to fit personnel. Don't read into that a change in overall philosophy that has always valued balance.

JayBell

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 02, 2017, 02:05:39 pmOffense evolves over time, and coaches tailor formations and play calling to fit personnel. Don't read into that a change in overall philosophy that has always valued balance.

If everybody stays healthy, Arkansas could look at LOT like Bielema's most punishing run offenses at Wisconsin next season.  Even with a deep group of receivers, they could be geared to grind down opposing defenses.  Ragnow, Ramirez and Raulerson are the only seniors on the line, they'll lose Austin Allen, but bring back both fullbacks and three stud tailbacks.

AirWarren

Quote from: GuvHog on August 02, 2017, 01:33:57 pm

Incorrect. Bielema has always been a balanced attack coach. Even at Wisconsin.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: JayBell on August 02, 2017, 03:35:54 pm
If everybody stays healthy, Arkansas could look at LOT like Bielema's most punishing run offenses at Wisconsin next season.  Even with a deep group of receivers, they could be geared to grind down opposing defenses.  Ragnow, Ramirez and Raulerson are the only seniors on the line, they'll lose Austin Allen, but bring back both fullbacks and three stud tailbacks.

All depends on the O-line, which I have little faith will be that much improved.

Arkansas Fan

I really don't think it takes that much enthusiasm to think Whaley runs for 1,000 yards even if we were 3-2 going to Alabama.

JayBell

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on August 02, 2017, 05:05:06 pmAll depends on the O-line, which I have little faith will be that much improved.

So, you're already pessimistic about the offensive line in 2018?

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: JayBell on August 02, 2017, 10:25:48 pm
So, you're already pessimistic about the offensive line in 2018?

I'm worried about it in 2017.

HamSammich

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on August 02, 2017, 05:05:06 pm
All depends on the O-line, which I have little faith will be that much improved.

I love the hogs but as people will tell you here I'm far from a homer. We will have the second best and possibly the best offensive line in the conference. Promise you for what ever that's worth.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 02, 2017, 08:59:32 am
And I hope that you are here to join us in enthusiastic support of the Hogs whether they are 3-2 or 5-0 going into the Alabama game.

No worries, I will be. But after the last few years I have tempered my expectations a lot. I've found that it allows for much less disappointment during the season, and I can enjoy all of college football for what it is and not be upset that The Hogs aren't very relevant nationally

JayBell

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on August 02, 2017, 10:51:35 pmI'm worried about it in 2017.

Well you quoted a post that was explicitly talking about the 2018 season.

Athog

Quote from: carolinahogger on August 01, 2017, 08:05:10 pm

Who cares if Saban is sleeping or not! Only Saban nut huggers!